Pokémon Araquanid

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're free to drop a QC member a VM or PM (or maybe a specific subforum moderator), I would just have a very solid outline finished before you attempt it if they're not already considering Araquanid for an OU analysis.

I got bored and decided to calc this thing with a baton passed belly drum. Hide your kids:

+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Exeggutor-Alola: 364-428 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ludicolo: 449-529 (123.3 - 145.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Palkia: 359-423 (93.4 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: 534-628 (175.6 - 206.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yes, those are x4 resists (minus toxipex). Granted only Smergle can pull this off but anyone is dumb enough to let you set this up with stealth rocks you can literally kill anything that doesn't have storm drain or water absorb. Well, that was a fun and disturbing thought.

Edit: Nvm, for some reason rain default on for these calcs. But I doubt anyone would run the Palkia and exeggutor with full def investment and positive nature typically.
I almost just threw up after seeing these calcs.

Pretty sure Araquanid is going to be dominating UU within the month. It's just teetering there though, OU is a bit too much for the poor guy with Talonflanes and such

Nope. It might be possible with Infest and toxic both running to maybe kill it but I doubt they will have enough time to ramp up to kill potential before toxipex bails.
252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: 59-70 (19.4 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: 89-105 (29.2 - 34.5%) -- 7.9% chance to 3HKO

If you Soak > infest > toxic > Liquid spam It should out pace the recover but I doubt the damage will rack up quick enough without getting the lucky Def drop from Liquidation.
You would have to go
infestation →soak→toxic→liquidation
Doing soak first just telegraph that your going to poison it and he's gonna gtfo to something else.If you really want to make him a dedicated toxapex killer you would want to run binding band with you killing him about 80% of the time with only 4 turns and 100% with 5 turns

You would have to go
infestation →soak→toxic→liquidation
Doing soak first just telegraph that your going to poison it and he's gonna gtfo to something else.If you really want to make him a dedicated toxapex killer you would want to run binding band with you killing him about 80% of the time with only 4 turns and 100% with 5 turns
Why would they switch out? Odds are they are bringing their best option in to eat an expected araquanid liquidation which would be a grass, water, or dragon type. Toxipex would be the obvious choice to come it first. If it's brought in, what other possible option would they go to that would eat a poison move? Probably a steel type. If you know they have a steel type that you think they'll switch to on their team, punish them by throwing a liquidation after the soak instead as steel won't resist the liquidation. If the steel type is Ferrothorn just throw infest anyways and soak/toxic it to death.

The binding band is a decent idea but araquanid really needs leftie sustain and the listed set doesn't run leech life so I'm not sure it would be viable. Either way I feel an araquanid toxic stall would be rough due to his lack of sustain.

I used a fun doubles set up; send out Clefable and Smeargle, Smeargle with White Herb uses Shell Smash and Barrier while Clefable uses Follow Me. Baton Pass to Assault Vest Araquanid, switch Clefairy to Ninetails w/ Snow Warning. Set up Aurora Veil and proceed to destroy enemy team with monsterous defenses and offenses. Have fun with a 68/180/213 and 280/160/84 stats.

You'd want White Herb on Araquanid. It already has plenty of SpDef and a White Herb on it would mitigate the drops better while Smeargle uses a Sash to keep kicking.

Why Soak/Toxic? Why not just Sub/Scald? If you want to lure and trap Toxapex, cool, but Sub protects you from Toxic and weak Scalds, and a million other things. Besides, between Scald burns, Infestation and Liquidation Def drops, that should be enough to wear it down. Infestation, Soak, then Toxic is just so many turns of set up to get that Toxic off in the first place.

Nope. It might be possible with Infest and toxic both running to maybe kill it but I doubt they will have enough time to ramp up to kill potential before toxipex bails.
252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: 59-70 (19.4 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: 89-105 (29.2 - 34.5%) -- 7.9% chance to 3HKO

If you Soak > infest > toxic > Liquid spam It should out pace the recover but I doubt the damage will rack up quick enough without getting the lucky Def drop from Liquidation.
In my testing of it, that is indeed the case. Unless one gets lucky with a defense drop, it is a lost cause.

Why Soak/Toxic? Why not just Sub/Scald? If you want to lure and trap Toxapex, cool, but Sub protects you from Toxic and weak Scalds, and a million other things. Besides, between Scald burns, Infestation and Liquidation Def drops, that should be enough to wear it down. Infestation, Soak, then Toxic is just so many turns of set up to get that Toxic off in the first place.
Burn was nerfed to do 1/16 damage instead of 1/8, toxic would do the same damage damage in 2 turns that burn would do in 3. Black Sludge would cancel a burn completely making it basically pointless. With Soak you also turn Black Sludge into a 1/8 burn instead of a 1/16 heal. Sub would be a good idea though cus toxipex would take forever to break it, only down side is you start running into 4MSS problems. :/

Infestation+Burn+Liquidation is more than sufficient enough to kill Toxapex, that's my point. Infestation doesn't last long enough for Toxic to wrack up enough damage, especially if it requires using Soak first. It's a horribly inefficient set overall.

^ Not possible afaik since Water Absorb is (ironically) its hidden ability. This is one of the rare mons that get worse with their HA.

ThePowerCoffee Technically, you could try the Toxic-Infestation set to trap Water types that will often switch in to at least somewhat resist the expected Water Bubble brick hit. Araquanid has the defenses to do it. Another use would be a straight Mirror Coating set, since that doesn't rely on its ability all that much. If it doesn't work online, at least battle tree can be fun with it, esp. Battle Tree doubles, where you can repeatedly heal it with Surf. In any case, Water Absorb Araquanid becomes way more passive and supportive than its bubbly comrades.
I'm using this guy(with Bubble but w/e) on a regular basis and I'm absolutely in love with how amazingly well it takes hits with just a 252HP 252Atk build, so building on its defenses instead of Attack might make it quite the viable tank actually, so Water Absorb isn't ALL bad. Maybe use Spider Web instead of Infestation to make the Toxic trapping more reliable over time. Water Absorb *does* let it take on water tanks very well.

Anything to make awesome shinies work, amirite?

Last edited:
Considering most bulky waters rely on Scald and you can't be burned plus have good SpD as is, I still don't see much merit over Water Bubble.

For a time, Talonflame was supposed to be Ubers but was bumped back due to it's weakness to stealth rocks. I think it would get decimated in Ubers even without SR, but oh well
Talonflame was never meant to be ubers, it was just annoying in early X/Y cause it checked and countered so many things. Eventually the meta adapted to it, pokebank gave us heatran and lando, and talonflame was left alone. We don't ban things based on their uber viability.

That's still doable. Can change to normal abilities from HA, but not back. Going from HA to normal may also mean needing a second ability capsule, but Araquanid thankfully only has WB normally.
If that's true, it was changed in SM, because it definitely wasn't possible in XY and ORAS.

With rain support what's the damage output of liguidation? I did a little math on it and I don't know the overall damage, I come up with either a base total of 340 or 377. If I'm wrong here let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)