1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

(Archive) Small Subjective Changes Thread

Discussion in 'Archives' started by eric the espeon, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Snorlaxe

Snorlaxe 2 kawaii 4 u
    is a Contributor Alumnus

WOW. Okay I'm stupid...I was reading it quickly and it looked like "possesses" to me. Thanks for calling that Zys, I'm p. tired and didn't read it thoroughly -.- lol I feel like a moron

Although I still think a transition word before Dragonite would be good.
  2. Chameleon

Chameleon

This is a change to the LeadApe set on Infernape's analysis.
    http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape

The set recommends running no more speed than needed to outrun positive natured base 100s because "Due to the defense drops from Close Combat, any encounter with a fellow Infernape will almost always result in the slower ape winning, so in general, it is a poor choice to increase Infernape's Speed any further." (quote)

I believe that this is poor advice because if a player is aware of this fact they will use Fire Blast rather than Close Combat. The slower Infernape will then be in KO range and can be defeated, assuming the same set is used on both Pokemon. You will always win unless you miss repeatedly, and your Fake Out blocks theirs and saves your Focus Sash.

So, the opposite is true. The faster Infernape will usually win, not the slower one, and advising against it for no other specific reason is not good. If there is something I'm missing here, the sentence should be clarified, or if not, changed.
  3. Fizz

Fizz

I believe this should be changed to "Alakazam is one of the most powerful special sweepers in the UU tier, if not the most powerful", or something along those lines, because if you take out "if not the most", it reads "Alakazam is one of the most powerful special sweeper..." which is clearly incorrect.
  4. Delta 2777

Delta 2777 Machampion
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion

A space is missing in the OU counters section for Salamence.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/salamence
  5. supermarth64

supermarth64 Here I stand in the light of day
    is a Contributor Alumnus

6. Namso

Namso
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

All you really need to do is add an 's' to the end and it should be fine, I believe. I fixed it.
  7. Fizz

Fizz

It's possible you're right but it seems to me that the sentence sets up two possible situations and "sweeper" has to agree with both of them. Adding an S makes it agree with the first situation, but not the second:

"Alakazam is the most powerful special sweepers in the UU tier."

You can't make it agree with both situations without splitting the sentence into two sections as I did. Again, I could be entirely wrong about this.
  8. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

That sentence is incorrect grammatically because the subject plurality of the interjection and the main sentence do not agree. I recommend the sentence be changed anyway. However, in its current form if you insist on keeping it that way, it should have the plural 's' because the core sentence refers to a cluster of objects.

Look at this:
    Alakazam is one of the most powerful special sweepers in the UU tier.
    If you remove the interjection, it agrees, and so is correct. If you want to point out that it might be the most powerful UU special sweeper, it should be worded something like follows:
    Alakazam is arguably the most powerful special sweeper in the UU tier.
    See how now there shouldn't be a plural 's'? :)
  9. Namso

Namso
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Thanks.
  10. Cool Ivysaur

Cool Ivysaur

11. Thorns

Thorns

the gorebyss analysis says "This set takes on a complexion completely different from the sweeping natures of the previous two sets and instead diverts its attention to supporting the team." when there is only one previous set...
  12. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Cool Ivysaur: can't find either. Thanks, but in future it might be nice if you told specifically where / gave us some wording to ctrl+f =)

Thorns: got it, tyvm
  13. Delta 2777

Delta 2777 Machampion
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion

The EVs section of the Absol analysis mentions EVs for the mixed Absol set, however that set was deleted long ago.

Max Attack is highly recommended on any set with Absol, followed by maxing out Speed so Absol can be used to its full potential. The Mixed Sweeper set should stick with the given EVs to give Fire Blast the extra kick it needs to ensure OHKOs and 2HKOs.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/absol
  14. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

pluff: Both had the ability listed in the set formatting (ability: Overgrow) which should not be there if a Pokemon only has one ability, or if both are viable. Fixed, thanks.
  15. TheMantyke

TheMantyke Larvitard
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

http://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/crobat

There's a small error under the EVs section.
    There's only one other set mentioned in this analysis beyond the Choice Bander. Sets should not be plural in this sentence
  16. Tsunami

Tsunami

17. Namso

Namso

Got it TheMantyke.
  18. Ray Jay

Ray Jay "The sky's the limit, okey-dokey!"
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I think this deserves being checked out.
    I'm looking at http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/breloom, and it says Breloom has the 3rd lowest bst in the opinion section. Actually, I believe it is the 2nd, with only Ninjask below it.
  19. Namso

Namso

Actually, Smeargle is last.

Edit: Too fast supermarth.
  20. supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus

You two forgot about Smeargle.
  21. Zystral

Zystral めんどくさい、な~
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/aerodactyl
    there is no choice band set yet it still mentions that
    in the Other Options.
    Smogon's Team Builder is also confused in that it still lists a Choice Band as possible sets as well.
  22. Delta 2777

Delta 2777 Machampion

In the Altaria analysis for the Sleep Talk + Outrage set it says in the description to use 20 Spe EVs, but the set lists 36 Spe EVs. One of these should be corrected.

23. supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus

Changed to hypothetical CB set.
    Second one in set comments was incorrect, made that fix.
  24. kd24

kd24 yo daddy musta been a drug dealer? why, cuz you're dope
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

25. Erebyssial

Erebyssial

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape

On the second paragraph of the overview, I think it rambles on about Starmie a bit too long. It doesn't seem necessary to continue explaining why it stops Infernape over two sentences. Probably important to note that the counters section only briefly mentions Starmie but talks about how Vaporeon and Tentacruel are his best counters, so it's odd that the overview emphazises Starmie.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)