Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition) - Mark II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Magic Bounce is definitely not the same as Rebound. Rebound works only while switching in, while Magic Bounce is permanent. This is a world of difference.

What, we cannot submit ideas anywhere? hmmm... but i have a question, Syclant has the ability Mountaineer, is this a real abulity?

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You can submit your ideas during the Concept Submission stage of the CAP process, which is the first stage after the Topic Leader is chosen (explore the CAP sub-site I just linked to for more details regarding the process). Until then, however, you'll have to keep it to yourself or discuss it on #cap, where community members such as myself would be happy to hear your ideas and help you with any other questions you may have.

Syclant's ability is Mountaineer, which is not a real ability. Neither are Fidgit's Persistent or Colossoil's Rebound abilities. They were created by the Smogonites who participated in the construction of those CAPs and, much like the CAPs themselves, are not recognized by Game Freak or Nintendo in any way.

My bad, for the description it sounded like they did the same thing, still what happens when i use no ability (does my poke really has no ability or does it has it but id doesn't say so)?

Ehm.. I have a short question about the 4th gen CAP's: Is it planned, that they all get some kind of BW-Update in terms of Movepool, DW ability and such? Just kinda curious about that-

Ehm.. I have a short question about the 4th gen CAP's: Is it planned, that they all get some kind of BW-Update in terms of Movepool, DW ability and such? Just kinda curious about that-
why would they? game freak doesn't update old pokemon every generation!

why would they? game freak doesn't update old pokemon every generation!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in fact, they update technically every single existing Pokemon with each new released game with stuff like Move Tutors, modified Lvl-Up move sets and even alternate formes for the likes of Rotom, Giratina and Shaymin. I don't see any reason CAP shouldn't follow them.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in fact, they update technically every single existing Pokemon with each new released game with stuff like Move Tutors, modified Lvl-Up move sets and even alternate formes for the likes of Rotom, Giratina and Shaymin. I don't see any reason CAP shouldn't follow them.
This has been several times on the forums by multiple people, but the real reason is that fourth generation CAPs were made for the fourth generation metagame, which is significantly different than the fifth generation metagame. The concepts are fair game to be reused, but reusing the Pokemon themselves is just shoe-horning Pokemon that shouldn't be there into roles that may or may not be already filled.

How do I get the Mountaineer ability or the move Paleo Wave? I assume I have to update my client (since that's where the move/ability source is) but I cannot find it.

How difficult is it to run your own custom Pokemon server? The existing help files point to scripting but I have no idea the scale that would be required to add new Pokemon, moves and abilities and don't want to get in over my head but I very much would love to try it out eventually. It would be ideal if there was a GUI to help but that's just me being lazy

mattgcn said:
How do I get the Mountaineer ability or the move Paleo Wave? I assume I have to update my client (since that's where the move/ability source is) but I cannot find it.
Neither are implemented yet, and Mountaineer is unlikely to ever be implemented due to the nature of PO.

Um... Sorry if what I say is retarded, I really don't know how this stuff works, but couldn't you just ask the guys at PO if they could change the program so you could include Mountaineer and the rest of it.? I mean the people of Smogon make up a good portion of PO's population, I'm sure they'd want to do what they can to help you out...

Um... Sorry if what I say is retarded, I really don't know how this stuff works, but couldn't you just ask the guys at PO if they could change the program so you could include Mountaineer and the rest of it.? I mean the people of Smogon make up a good portion of PO's population, I'm sure they'd want to do what they can to help you out...
I'm guessing anyone could develop a way to insert custom abilities, not just the PO staff. I'm not too sure however. It's just complicated to work out.

Someone could bring it up in their forums and see what they have to say, I suppose. If it works out in the end, the plugin could be used by everyone who needed it.

I'm guessing anyone could develop a way to insert custom abilities, not just the PO staff. I'm not too sure however. It's just complicated to work out.

Someone could bring it up in their forums and see what they have to say, I suppose. If it works out in the end, the plugin could be used by everyone who needed it.
Well maybe but from Rising Dusk said earlier it seems as if people have tried and been unsuccessful.

Neither are implemented yet, and Mountaineer is unlikely to ever be implemented due to the nature of PO.
However, the staff at PO may be able to create an update for PO that puts these abilities and moves into PO better than somebody at Smogon because they made the program. In fact they might be able to implement a interface that would make it easy to put CAPs, new abilities and moves into the game, making it easy for anyone to do a CAP.

It is possible to program in new abilities. However, it requires coding the PO source, and Coyotte, the owner of PO, has made it clear that he doesn't want biased code in the source. This means that code cannot be made into the source that benefits only a select server, such as SU, and especially if only for CAP. For that reason, it will likely never happen bar extreme circumstances that will be unlikely to ever occur.

Now please refrain from discussing this here. This is merely for questions, not discourse. Thanks!

Colossoil and Rebound

For Colossoil, isn't his ability Rebound the same thing as the Generation V ability Magic Bounce? A change should be made about that.

Well, I have a question...

What is/was the average amount of time (months to years) between CAP creations?

I want to know so I can figure out when to come back, in time for the second BW CAP Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)