Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 19 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't more lead Metagross' opt for a mix set, and carry Grass Knot for Swampert.. and maybe a few Hippowdon? Even with a -Speed nature, he'll be outpacing most Swamperts, Hippos and Bronzongs.. and will still be outsped by those who would usually.
Even without taking Grass Knot into consideration, lead Metagross suffers from severe four-moveslot syndrome. Using Grass Knot means having to forego Earthquake (necessary to beat Jirachi and Infernape), Meteor Mash (a very strong STAB move that OHKOs Tyranitar and 2HKOs Aerodactyl), Bullet Punch (Necessary for Aerodactyl and Azelf) or Explosion (can be a guaranteed KO if you predict correctly). There just isn't room on the moveset for Grass Knot.

Even without taking Grass Knot into consideration, lead Metagross suffers from severe four-moveslot syndrome. Using Grass Knot means having to forego Earthquake (necessary to beat Jirachi and Infernape), Meteor Mash (a very strong STAB move that OHKOs Tyranitar and 2HKOs Aerodactyl), Bullet Punch (Necessary for Aerodactyl and Azelf) or Explosion (can be a guaranteed KO if you predict correctly). There just isn't room on the moveset for Grass Knot.
In that case I'd forego Explosion. Relies too much on prediction and blowing up a pokemon that could so easily have use later on otherwise always seemed stupid to me.

It could be good as an anti lead. With eq MM grass knot and explosion/bullet punch

Offensive Threat List

[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/../dp/pokemon/azelf"]Azelf
: Tyranitar can come in, and depending on the situation either take an explosion or pursuit as it tries to flee.

Breloom: Latias can come in after the spore and basically Reflect/Dragon Pulse to put it down, recovering if needed.

Celebi: None of my Pokémon like Thunder Wave, but generally bring in Tyranitar to Crunch it, as it generally takes no damage from Grass Knot.

Dugtrio: My easiest counter to it is Vaporeon who takes less than 50% from EQ, meaning it can generally come in and Surf for the KO. But if I can easily enough predict an EQ, then I can bring in Latias who can then set up screens (because if it isn’t Choiced it would either switch or try a sucker punch).

Electivire: My best bet with E-vire is to bring in Latias on something other than Ice Punch (which should be predictable) and get a Reflect up, allowing Vaporeon to generally come in safely (Taking 37%-44% from Thunder Punch when it runs Life Orb, 34%-40% when it runs Expert Belt).

Empoleon: My best bet is Vaporeon here, as the most common Empoleon is SubPetaya, so HP Electric can break its subs while it can only hit me with Ice Beam/Grass Knot. Grass Knot can 3HKO, so it’s helpful to have Light Screen up first allowing Vaporeon to take <20% from GK for the next 6 turns as it uses HP Electric.

Flygon: Generally Flygon is Choice Scarfed meaning that it can only 3HKO, allowing it to come in, Wish (this is where it either stays in or retreats) meaning the next turn I can Protect and heal myself while then switching out to the appropriate next Pokemon, if it chose to retreat. If it is banded, Vaporeon can still take an EQ, but if it chooses to Outrage (say against Latias), then I will switch to Magnezone takes <20% from it and fire off Flash Cannon, dealing 80%-95%, meaning a guaranteed 2HKO.

Gengar: With Gengar running this, that and everything else, I’ll just say it has its most common moves (Shadow Ball, T-bolt, Focus Blast, Hypnosis/Destiny Bond). The first thing I want to do is try to bring in Latias against anything non-shadow ball, meaning I resist it and can set up Light Screen. With Light Screen up, I can Dragon Pulse away at it until it nears KO range. This is where Tyranitar can come in, bringing SS with it to finish up the job (unless SS is already out, then Latias can recover until it faints).

Gliscor: With Earthquake and Stone Edge being Gliscor’s usual means of attack, Latias can come in pretty easily. It outspeeds Gliscor, meaning if it hasn’t already used a set-up move, I can Reflect before it possibly taunts me. If it has set-up (a non-rock polish), then I can generally get off Dragon Pulse which gets 38%-44%, severely weakening it. Vaporeon is another option to come in and threaten it with Surf while only taking 22%-27% from a non-boosted Earthquake.

Gyarados: Vaporeon gets HP Electric to threaten it first, as Gyarados’ main Stab is rendered useless, which means even a +1 Gyara can’t 2HKO (dealing 38%-45%), while Vaporeon does enough to 2HKO every time.

Heatran: With half of Heatrans running Choice Scarves, it can be rather easy to predict what they are going to do and Latias makes a fine switch in to Heatran (taking 23%-28% from Fire Blast, 46%-54% from Dragon Pulse though but resisting Earth Power entirely). This provides a free opportunity for Latias to set up a screen and then get out when their counter comes in. Vaporeon can also come in and KO it with surf (Taking less than 30% from Earth Power).

Heracross: Again, most of these run Choiced, so prediction here is key. Usually I’ll send in Gliscor, who takes <40% from Close Combat/Megahorn and <50% from Stone Edge (even less after Roost).

Infernape: Infernape is most easily countered by Latias, resisting both of its STABs and Grass Knot, and easily taking an HP Ice (37%-43%) meaning it can fire back Dragon Pulse and Recover off damage.

Jirachi: Versus Choice Scarf Variants, Gliscor makes a great Switch in taking <30% from Iron Head and being able to threaten with Earthquake and have the ability to heal off damage. Latias can counter SubCM variants resisting every attack it has and being able to set up a screen and switch to Tyranitar, who takes 32%-38% from Flash Cannon after Light Screen from a +2 and forcing a switch usually or threatening with Crunch, dealing 54%-64%.

Kingdra: Kingdra spells Rain Dance, which is usually taken care of by Vaporeon. A +1 Outrage does only 28%-33%(without Life Orb, around 44% with), meaning that Vaporeon can Wish/Protect to heal itself and waste turns of rain. Its own HP Electric can only do <20% though, so it relies on Life Orb damage to finish it.

Latias: Tyranitar is the main counter here. Unless Latias is Specs, it really can’t harm him while he threatens with Pursuit/Crunch for a KO.

Lucario: Gliscor threatens just about every Lucario in the game (with only 18% running Ice Punch) so it can usually come in to threaten with Earthquake. Other than that, I lack a true counter for Lucario other than death fodder and letting Life Orb take its toll.

Magnezone: The most common Magnezone is Scarfed, meaning that Latias can come in and set up a Light Screen while recovering off damage it takes. Gliscor can easily come in on a predicted thunderbolt and rock polish to pass to Magnezone, opening up a sweep for it.

Mamoswine: My best bet is to switch Latias in on a predicted Earthquake and get off a Reflect, allowing Vaporeon to come in and threaten it with Surf. I really don’t have a safe switch in to it, although Reflect can greatly help me to threaten it to retreating.

Metagross: Generally, Metagross is used as a lead, but sometimes has Life Orb. Latias makes a great switch into Metagross, resisting every single one of its common attacks, bar Explosion, and can set up Reflect to soften damage from Explosion/other moves. Explosion does 46%-54% to Latias when it’s behind Reflect, meaning it can easily take the hit.

Ninjask: With Ninjask generally only running X-scissor as an attack, Gliscor finds a way to switch into it and set up Rock Polish while also being able to pass to Magnezone. Otherwise, Vaporeon can switch in and threaten with Ice Beam and Magnezone does the same threatening with Thunderbolt.

Porygon-Z: Generally, Porygon-Z is Scarfed, so it usually will fire off its main STAB move Tri Attack. Latias is the safest switch-in, taking <40% from a Specs Tri Attack and being able to set up a screen or recover off damage, although it is weak to two of Porygon-Z’s other common attacks. This makes Vaporeon another safe switch-in, taking 44%-50% from a Specs Thunderbolt and 35%-41% from Tri Attack.

Rhyperior: The most common set is SubPerior.. Vaporeon is my first Switch in, being able to come in and threaten with Surf. Even in sandstorm it has a 33% of OHKOing it. It easily OHKO’s outside of it. So if I come into the sub and surf to break it as it SD’s, Vaporeon still survives a Stone Edge and can OHKO in return with Surf. The Same happens to CB Rhyperior. It can easily KO with Surf.

Roserade: Most Roserade run Sleep Powder, so I’ll probably need to send in something to take that and then bring in Latias, who resists all 3 of Roserade’s common attacks (HP Fire, Leaf Storm, and Sludge Bomb).

Rotom-A: Trick is common on Rotom, so I’d have to be wary of my first switch in, making sure it’s something that can at least make use of the item coming at it. Magnezone can switch in to take scarf/specs and resists both of its STABs. HP Grass and Thunderbolt both deal 39%-46%, which is a 3HKO alone and has a 33% chance of 2HKOing with Sandstorm in play. Of course, if it doesn’t trick on that turn, Latias can switch in on Thunderbolt as well allowing a set up of a screen or free recovery.

Salamence: Gliscor can come in on DD Mence as it DD’s, surviving outrage 44% of the time and rock polish passing to Magnezone for the KO. If it does get KO’d, Magnezone still survives Outrage and can KO with Thunderbolt. If Mixmence, then Latias can easily revenge kill it.

Scizor: With CB Scizors running around everywhere, it can be hard to find a switch in. Gliscor is another interesting option as it takes the most damage only from Bullet Punch, which is still under 50%, meaning Gliscor can Roost it off. If it is locked into anything that isn’t U-turn then Magnezone can easily come in an KO with Thunderbolt

Snorlax: The most common variant of Snorlax is Curse. Tyranitar can come in on in, and Stone Edge for a 2HKO against it.

Starmie: Non Choice Specs Variants can be taken by Latias, who can come in on any attack easily and set up a screen, heal off damage and attack/switch to Vaporeon. Speaking of Vaporeon, it can handle the non-specs sets as well, seeing as how it takes 30%-35% from Thunderbolt, meaning Wish/HP Electric can take it down, or stall with Wish/Protect. The Specs Variants are a little harder, but usually with a Light Screen up, Tyranitar/Latias/Vaporeon each do a good job of handling it.

Suicune: CMRest cunes seem to be all the rage lately, meaning that Latias can get a screen up for Magnezone who takes 36%-43% from a +2 Surf, while Magnezone hits for 56%-66% from Thunderbolt, meaning it can easily 2HKO while Suicune cannot.

Togekiss: Togekiss is most easily handled by Vaporeon, who only takes 22%-26% from an Air Slash, while it heals 6% from Leftovers and deals out close to the same damage, 19%-23% (HP Electric/Surf), with Latias producing close to the same effects.

Tyranitar: CB Tyranitar can be easy to predict around, although it poses a threat to my Latias when not behind reflect (which should be easy enough to set up). Vaporeon can do 36%-43% to a Standard CB Tyranitar, but takes 72%-85% from a Stone Edge, while Crunch does only 48%-56%, meaning it can probably Wish/Protect there. Magnezone can come in on a predicted Crunch, taking only 34%-41% and threaten with Flash Cannon (74%-88%). Tyranitar takes only 37%-44% and threatens back with Aqua Tail, which is a OHKO. DD Tyranitar is another story though, but Latias can generally handle stalling it out of Crunches.

Weavile: Vaporeon makes a good switch in, taking only 35%-42% from a Choice Banded Night Slash. Machamp takes about the same from a Choice Banded Brick Break.

Yanmega: Usually Yanmega is a lead, and Machamp can survive an Air Slash and KO back with Stone Edge if it doesn’t flinch. Otherwise Vaporeon makes a great switch in, wishing as it scouts and then surfing to take advantage of its frailness.

Zapdos: Latias provides an excellent counter, as the only damage Zapdos can do to it is through U-turn, and Gliscor can also take Zapdos if it is not running HP Ice, meaning set-up to sweep with Magnezone.
[/URL]

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I have a team that has 2 fighting weaknesses, and 2 ground weaknesses. Im using a specs wielding grass type and im pondering if I should use roserade for its handy fighting resist, or should I go with sceptile for his ground resistance?

this team is uu, so take that into account.

I am unable to search the thread as UU and Wish are both too short.

What pokemon in UU are good Wish passers? I am in a tournament where you use, one Uber, one OU, one BL, One more Randomly Generated BL and 2 UU.

So far I have Wobbufet, Lucario, Dugtrio (RNG BL), Ambimpom which leaves two UU pokemon, one of which needs to be a Wish pokemon.

What pokemon in UU are good Wish passers? I am in a tournament where you use, one Uber, one OU, one BL, One more Randomly Generated BL and 2 UU.

So far I have Wobbufet, Lucario, Dugtrio (RNG BL), Ambimpom which leaves two UU pokemon, one of which needs to be a Wish pokemon.
Clefable does it decently well.

Ok. So I read the Platinum RNG seed thingy thread and I just want to ask if somebody could help me out with it? (BTW, it said all questions like this should be in this topic) My computer seems to be unable to download all this stuff and I was wondering if someone else could find out the times and the rates I'd need to have to be able to hatch myself some shiny Pokemon. I know my ID and SID and I'm sure I can out any other need to know information about my save file. (I used *gasp* AR to find this out)

If anybody can help me I'll just post some info I think you need but to be honest, I'm not good with computers and was lost at every sentence in that topic.

Name: Ike (my sister and I share the game, she picked the name ^_^)
ID:17853
SID:61017

That's all I know but as I said if you're willing to help and you need more info I'll find a way to get it.
Things that go BUMP in the night. Seriously I'm really interested but really confused at the same time. :/

...Gardevoir, Chansey and Clefable (maybe Espeon?) come to mind.

@ Streamline: That would go in the Simple Questions/Requests thread in the Wifi forum.

Thank you, I knew the answer, it was more so that I had proof to show my friend who has been annoying me saying that Torterra can do nothing against an Infernape.

Clefable does it decently well.

Clefable is the best in UU for many reasons.

1.It can actually take physical hits and makes a decent mixed wall.
2.Encore allows for free wishes and switch ins.
3. If this is on DS, it's a hell of a lot easier to obtain or make than Wish Bliss/Chansey which is an event pokemon.

A very effective one I've been using is a variation on the Analysis's Encore set EV's

Clefable (F) @ Flame Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/152 Def/104 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Encore
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic/ Seismic Toss

You may actually want to consider a -Speed Nature if you are using Toxic due to wanting to have a slower Encore.

Flame Orb is if its a lead and you want to be able to counter sleepers. Othewise leftovers is great on a pokemon that takes no indirect damage. Toxic Wish and Protect is a deadly combination and encore means that it is difficult for pokemon to set up on you. Rest Talkers coming in to absorb your toxic find themselves Struggling after you encore their Sleep Talk.

My questions of what is a safe switch into Moltres in UU and why isn't yanmega BL or suspect yet remain unanswered.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Are moves that hit both the opponents in double battles (such as eruption) have their power lowered by 25%?

Thank you, I knew the answer, it was more so that I had proof to show my friend who has been annoying me saying that Torterra can do nothing against an Infernape.
Well Fire Blast or flamethrower would certainly put the hurt on it before it got to attack with earthquake. Infernape would struggle to safely come in on Torterra

My questions of what is a safe switch into Moltres in UU and why isn't yanmega BL or suspect yet remain unanswered.
Yanmega wasn't BL because he could be easily revenge killed by the likes of Honchkrow (who, incidentally, could also take a hit from him and OHKO with drill peck barring an air slash flinch), and is completely walled by Registeel, Chansey to a lesser extent, and Crobat. Seeing as 2 of those 4 are now suspects, he appears a lot more broken than he actually is right now.

As for safe switch ins to Moltres, it depends on the set really. If they aren't running Air Slash, Hariyama or Blaziken can come in and hurt him with Stone Edge or a neutral attack. If he's running HP Ground over Grass (why, I don't know) Milotic and Slowbro/king can come in rather easily. If he's sub/roost/toxic then Clefable can wall him to eternity. A Specially Defensive Drapion can also come in relatively safely and set up or hurt Moltres, but he fears Will o Wisp.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Are moves that hit both the opponents in double battles (such as eruption) have their power lowered by 25%?
Most Definitely. Trust me, I know first hand. Kind of sucks too because In my Diamond/Pearl Guide it only lists like 1/4 of the multi target moves as having their power lowered in Doubles, so at first I was like, "Hey, I'll just use the ones that don't have their powers lowered!!!! :D" And then I actually tried them all.... :(

Still advantageous in my opinion though ;D

I'm EXP Share training a puny pokemon at the moment until it can stand up for itself and I can EV train it more easily, but I want to know some things:
1: Does EXP share give EVs as well? Bulbapedia says it does, but I want to be sure. And if it does, does the EXP Share holder get the full amount of evs?
2: If the pokemon who's doing the actual battling is holding a macho brace, does the EXP Share holder get the doubled EVs or just the pokemon with the Macho Brace?

I'm EXP Share training a puny pokemon at the moment until it can stand up for itself and I can EV train it more easily, but I want to know some things:
1: Does EXP share give EVs as well? Bulbapedia says it does, but I want to be sure. And if it does, does the EXP Share holder get the full amount of evs?
2: If the pokemon who's doing the actual battling is holding a macho brace, does the EXP Share holder get the doubled EVs or just the pokemon with the Macho Brace?
1. It will give the EVs to both pokemon. They both get the full, unboosted amount that the battle would normally give.

2. Only the one with the Macho Brace / Power Item will get the boost unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)