Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's going on with the ladder system right now? Why is it now incredibly easy to get an insane acre/glicko 2 with only an ok win loss ratio?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
It's always been that way

When suspect is going on more good people are laddering

If you beat someone with high ACRE your stats go up way more than beating people with low ACRE. Essentially, you manage to beat a few high rated people and your rank Skyrockets.

This message regards the private chatroom "Showderp". Now Showderp is a group of highly active members, but this thing is, is that Showderp has become a place for trolls and spammers to plan many attacks. I can assure you, half the percentage of them have been banned temporarily due to various spam attacks and posting shocksites on to any chatroom they plan on seeing. I used to run a chatroom and some of them would come in and spam the chatroom followed by links that redirect you to your own facebook account. One of the very reasons I have quit running that chatroom. I've seen it in numerous amounts of chatrooms. Any continuation of "Showderp" should be provoked. A chatroom is supposed to have a warm welcome to new guests. When I go to say Hi, they treat me very rudely and have a lot of vulgar and sexual things to say to me, but I'm not the only one, it happens to ll people who plan on going into their chatroom. If any further information about this chatroom comes into place, please notify me. Thank you.

My rating on the current ou ladder is 1949 but the ladder doesn't show me...why? I should be 400 something but I'm not there. If it means anything I have gone 8-0 since the ladder reset, so do I have to play a certain amount of games to be viable for the ladder or is this a glitch? To prove it here is a link to the battle I just had and if you fast forward to the end you can see I'm clearly at 1949...

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-46109209

is it possible that when pokemon x and y comes out that pokemon showdown will be updated (sooner or later w/e) with the newer pokemon from those games?

My rating on the current ou ladder is 1949 but the ladder doesn't show me...why? I should be 400 something but I'm not there. If it means anything I have gone 8-0 since the ladder reset, so do I have to play a certain amount of games to be viable for the ladder or is this a glitch? To prove it here is a link to the battle I just had and if you fast forward to the end you can see I'm clearly at 1949...

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-46109209
You've only played 8 games. This means your ranking is still provisional. To appear on the ladder you need your deviation to be under 100. It's not a glitch thats just how the ladder works.

is it possible that when pokemon x and y comes out that pokemon showdown will be updated (sooner or later w/e) with the newer pokemon from those games?
This is unknown at the moment. For X and Y to be implemented we have to learn the game mechanics and how/if they've changed from BW2, depending on how long this takes is when X and Y will be fully implemented on Showdown.

You've only played 8 games. This means your ranking is still provisional. To appear on the ladder you need your deviation to be under 100. It's not a glitch thats just how the ladder works.

This is unknown at the moment. For X and Y to be implemented we have to learn the game mechanics and how/if they've changed from BW2, depending on how long this takes is when X and Y will be fully implemented on Showdown.

What is deviation and how exactly does it work? Also about how many games on average do I need to play to get it below 100 and is there any way I can check my deviation?

Last edited:
well i meant it more in the way of X and Y are going to be more umm 3d'ish~ like graphically would it be able to be implemented or would you guys have to find a way to make the sprites of the pokemon more like the Black and white sprites or something along those lines..im more or less worried bout graphically do we know if its possible or not?...sorry for bad phrasing

well i meant it more in the way of X and Y are going to be more umm 3d'ish~ like graphically would it be able to be implemented or would you guys have to find a way to make the sprites of the pokemon more like the Black and white sprites or something along those lines..im more or less worried bout graphically do we know if its possible or not?...sorry for bad phrasing
The sprites are going to be user made. There is a team of spriter currently working on making sprites as we speak. See here.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I have played around 20-30 battles on the Global Showdown ladder, and have an exceptionally high ACRE rank. I am currently trying to show up on the ladder, but I'm still provisional, with my deviation being around 115. So my question is this: How come my deviation will barely go down after a victory? I've had a point where I was at 119 deviation and it took 2 battles to drop to 118.

Hi, quick question I couldn't seem to find anywhere:

How does one use a custom avatar? I'm pretty sure it's possible, but maybe it's only for staff or something?
In the "change avatar" screen there doesn't seem to be an option to use your own.
Thanks!

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
How does one use a custom avatar? I'm pretty sure it's possible, but maybe it's only for staff or something?
In the "change avatar" screen there doesn't seem to be an option to use your own.
Custom Avatars will only work on your own server, if it's published by Zarel. When you have your own server, ask someone who knows how to implement one into the server for further instructions.

What is Pokemon Showdown, and how do I get mentored in battling?
Pokemon Showdown is a Pokemon battle simulator, designed to be as close to the Gen 5 games as possible. The mentorship program is found here, I believe.

Ah ok, that's alot more of a process than is necessary, I'm not putting anyone through that much trouble just so I can use a trainer sprite of myself that I made, haha.
Thanks for the info though!

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ah ok, that's alot more of a process than is necessary, I'm not putting anyone through that much trouble just so I can use a trainer sprite of myself that I made, haha.
Thanks for the info though!
The only other way to get a custom avatar would be to be a moderator or higher~

I have played around 20-30 battles on the Global Showdown ladder, and have an exceptionally high ACRE rank. I am currently trying to show up on the ladder, but I'm still provisional, with my deviation being around 115. So my question is this: How come my deviation will barely go down after a victory? I've had a point where I was at 119 deviation and it took 2 battles to drop to 118.
From my own experiences with laddering, your deviation typically goes down more when you lose battles than when you win them. This is a fundamental part of the rating system, which you can read more about here.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
From my own experiences with laddering, your deviation typically goes down more when you lose battles than when you win them. This is a fundamental part of the rating system, which you can read more about here.
This isn't quite accurate, but is a symptom of the true system. The deviation decreases more when it is more sure of your placing. The way Glicko2 works is that it tries to zero in on your "true" rating and keep you there. Deviation is how sure it is that its correct about your ranking, which means if the system thinks that you should win a match, and you do, your deviation decreases more than if you lose and vice versa.

getting a popup box whenever i open the website saying 'couldn't connect to server'

has the server been down for the past day or am i banned or something? my tag is ElSteeler... i don't see any reason why i'd be banned so iduno what the dealeo is.

I am trying to program a move with the following effect:
Normally, the move has a priority of -1.
If the target uses a +1 priority move, this move gets a priority of +1.
I tried the following code:
beforeTurnCallback: function(pokemon, target) {
decision = this.willMove(target);
if (decision.move.priority === 1) {
this.willMove(pokemon).move.priority = 1;
}
},

However, the beforeTurnCallback event appears to activate after the move order has been determined, so the move's priority is actually modified for the next turn instead of the current one.

Is there a way that I could modify the move priority before the move order is set?

Is there anywhere that explains how the matchmaking system works? I've read the rating FAQ and I don't believe it really says anything about matchmaking.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm curious about the troubles I've faced in OU suspect laddering recently. It seems that the key to success is very dependent on getting a good "early streak", and if you don't it's very difficult to progress. For example, I have an account that's been "stuck" around 1700 glicko because I had a bad early streak, and because of this I only get paired up with other poorly ranked players and my rating just goes nowhere for a long time, even if I win most of my matches.

On the other hand, on my account I actually attained reqs on, I had a good early streak (getting to 2200+ glicko in roughly 10 matches), and from there onward I rarely ever found a match with someone below 2000 glicko. I don't know if this is just a coincidence, but I really don't like how the system rewards restarting to get better matches later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)