Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay besides iron ball and lagging tail, are there any other ways? Also would it be a good or bad idea to keep Kyogre in the third/fourth slot and then switch in after all the Pokemon are sent out?
That is usually the idea, since Kyogre isn't really as reliable with Iron Ball IMO as Groudon on T-Tar.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do we have any idea of whether it will be bring 4 use 4 or bring 6, see their 6, and choose 4? What was it last year?

You bring your filled out team sheet to the competition. When you battle an opponent, you can use 4 of the 6 pokemon and items on your team sheet. You enter the battle arena with all 6 pokemon and then you can pick four of them(similar when you pick pokemon for the Battle Tower). Your opponent doesn't see your team sheet beforehand(and vice versa), so you really don't know what they are bringing.

For the Kyogre question, my friend, is starting his team with Kyorge and Ludicolo. He has had problems setting up rain, and he just went screw it, and ran Rain Dance on his Ludicolo. I'm not sure how it's doing for him, but I think it seems to work for him.

What is a good way to counter rain/other weather teams. Bring a weather of your own?
Tyranitar in OU and Abomasnow in Ubers are probably your best options. In doubles, I heard people bitching about Abomasnow+Mewtwo combo, so I'd definitely give that a go in VGC or ubers. Tyranitar tends to counter weather well in OU as it really can't be stopped from coming in multiple times to screw you up.

Of course priority rapes weather teams (usually rain has trouble with it) and something like toxicroak might help against rain especially.

To counter sun, simply use a fire pokemon yourself. Fire pokemon tend to wall sunny day sweepers exceptionally well as solarbeam+fire move are resisted by them all except rejects like macargo.

The last option is to use Rayquaza or Golduck(lol) to nullify weather. Ray tends to die fast in ubers, so I don't know how long that'll last.

Tyranitar in OU and Abomasnow in Ubers are probably your best options. In doubles, I heard people bitching about Abomasnow+Mewtwo combo, so I'd definitely give that a go in VGC or ubers. Tyranitar tends to counter weather well in OU as it really can't be stopped from coming in multiple times to screw you up.

Of course priority rapes weather teams (usually rain has trouble with it) and something like toxicroak might help against rain especially.

To counter sun, simply use a fire pokemon yourself. Fire pokemon tend to wall sunny day sweepers exceptionally well as solarbeam+fire move are resisted by them all except rejects like macargo.

The last option is to use Rayquaza or Golduck(lol) to nullify weather. Ray tends to die fast in ubers, so I don't know how long that'll last.
Im pretty sure he meant VGC because this part of the forum is a VGC forum -_-

For the Kyogre question, my friend, is starting his team with Kyorge and Ludicolo. He has had problems setting up rain, and he just went screw it, and ran Rain Dance on his Ludicolo. I'm not sure how it's doing for him, but I think it seems to work for him.
Tell him to put Kyogre in the back and have another Poke out front with Ludi. if your opponent leads with kyogre, the ludi wins, if groudon is out, switch to kyogre or deal with groudon by some other means (grass knot/energy ball etc). Sometimes running a fire lead like Infernape can help counter those sunny day leads like Groudon since it has a really powerful Heat Wave.

Am I correct in thinking that moves like Giga Impact, Hyper Beam, Blast Burn, and the other variations count as a miss if the target uses protect? Meaning if one of those moves is used on a protecting pokemon, the user wouldn't have to recharge the next turn?

pirate0:

That is correct. Since the attack is prevented with Protect, it isn't successful: "If this attack is successful, on the next round, user can't take any action and does nothing during its turn."

but i would not advise using those moves. There is not really any time to risk recharging for a turn when you could be attacking. Those moves usually have about 150 power. Might as well use moves like fire blast or return which have 120 and 107 power respectively. You get close to the same power but with two turns you surpass the recharge move. On top of that you are not vulnerable for a turn.

This may be falling under the hack check rule, but do their hack checks identify and ban cloned Pokemon such as the aforementioned good Smogon redis?

Also, opinions on Zapdos with STAB Thunder and Heat Wave to take down Abomasnow?

This may be falling under the hack check rule, but do their hack checks identify and ban cloned Pokemon such as the aforementioned good Smogon redis?

Also, opinions on Zapdos with STAB Thunder and Heat Wave to take down Abomasnow?
You will not get banned for having clones. Last year everyone used the Shiny Metagross BlakChrome it seems like. Also about Abomasnow, heat wave will almost definately kill it with 4x damage, but there is no way the Zapdos will kill it with Thunder, even with a crit and stab.

Alright guys, I present to you the idea of this masterpiece: (Tested on PBR, so far 31-4 when incoperated for my VGC team)

Mewtwo @ Expert Belt
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Nature: Adamant
~ Bulk Up
~ Ice Punch
~ Low Kick
~ Protect

This is a bit of a deviation from the Bulk-Up set, the main two things being Protect and Low Kick. After just one boost, this Mewtwo can start an absolute rampage late-game. Once I eliminate Giratina/Ho-Oh/Lugia from the battle with my main team, this thing CAN NOT be stopped. Protect is obviously useful as a scouting move or if I want to use a powerful that could have collateral damage as well. So far he has been the shining star of my team. The only I am not sure about is the EV's for Speed, what threats should I be outspeeding in VGC? I like 252 Speed so I can tie with other non + Speed Mewtwos.

Check out these wicked calcs if you dare:

+1 Low Kick

Vs. Mixed Palkia: 67.5% - 79.5%
Vs. Tyraniboah: 215.5% - 255.1% OHKO
Vs. Kyogre: 62.5% - 73.9%
Vs. Mixed Dialga: 108.4% - 128.4% OHKO

+1 Ice Punch

Vs. ScarfChomp: 171.7% - 203.3% OHKO
Vs. Rock Polish Groudon: 59.3% - 70.9%

Comments, suggestions, critiques?

I don't know anything about the rest of your team, but can Mewtwo take a hit with the offensive spread you have right now? Will he be outrunning the opponents so he can pull off a bulk up if he isn't bulky enough before the boost?

Most of the time I bring him in late game against a favorable matchup and while they protect I get my Bulk Up going. With this speed, most of the remaining threats I can outspeed in favorable conditions. My team can definately protect his weaknesses to obvious threats to this set, but I would rather not reveal the team as I am planning to attend the Championships myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)