Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! And another question, does the usage of trickroom cause the game to reverte to normal (fastest goes first) an exemple would be if my Dielga uesd trck room and my oppants Bronzong uses it, does bronzong,s degate my Dielga, or would it juust fail?

In your opinion, what are the two best pokemon to lead with to make it a 2v2 game? Is Explosion the best way to go, or would you reccommend a different combination?

Explosion does work, but it's a high risk/reward. And, of course, if your opponent's lead has a ghost-type, then it's somewhat useless. I mean, Xerograde won with his Rayquaza/SplosionGross lead and that worked, so who knows.

It's really personal preference, as there are a ton of viable leads in this metagame, but some leads go with obvious choices like Kyogre, Hitmontop, Palkia, Abomasnow, etc.

why is hitmontop used over hitmonlee??? lee has the higher attack and faster base speed.......
Hitmontop gets Intimidate which helps him switch in, and Technician to boost his strength. Hitmonlee only gets Limber, which makes for a free switch in to thunderwave I think, and Reckless, which only supports a few of his moves... none of which are particularly good. 'top's usual use is a revenge killer, which is he can do thanks to superior defenses to Lee, or as a spinner, which is again helped by his bulkierness.

tl;dr His abilities and his defenses.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hitmontop gets Intimidate which helps him switch in, and Technician to boost his strength. Hitmonlee only gets Limber, which makes for a free switch in to thunderwave I think, and Reckless, which only supports a few of his moves... none of which are particularly good. 'top's usual use is a revenge killer, which is he can do thanks to superior defenses to Lee, or as a spinner, which is again helped by his bulkierness.

tl;dr His abilities and his defenses.
You're thinking of Singles. In VGC, Hitmontop is used for Technician boosted Mach Punch, Fake Out, and Sucker Punch along with the obligatory Detect. All of those are priority moves which let it move first in or out of trick room and do massive damage to many common Pokemon. He's a great lead.

this is my first VGC so forgive the ignorance

can i switch my team for nationals? because they kept my team sheet at regionals

Hey everyone! My family is planning a trip to nationals and we were wondering how late the nationals actually go for on Sunday. Does anyone have an idea when it ends? Perhaps someone from last year could tell me how late that one lasted? We're trying to determine if we need to stay an extra night or not at the hotel.

this is my first VGC so forgive the ignorance

can i switch my team for nationals? because they kept my team sheet at regionals
Here is a post about what they do with these lists after the event. This post is pertaining to the TCG, but it applys to the VGC as well. Just replace the word "Decklist" with "Team Sheet"

First, for those of you who don’t know, I’m Dylan “ExoByte” Mayo. My official title is Game Design Manager at TPCi, but that really doesn’t explain how I’m relevant to this. Among other things, I work with the OP team who do all the real work on making this awesome OP system go. One of the things we’ve been working on is improving the coverage of the OP system. This is the first step.

What is happening:

• Winners and/or top cuts are being sent to TPCi. At this time no one outside of OP, myself, and a member of the web team have seen them.
  • We use this information to inform the Japan R&D team about the general situation of the OP environment here.
  • Selected decklists will be posted on the site, along with commentary and basic strategy. At this time the decks are anonymized, that is, you won’t know the name, age group, state, or even exact finish that each particular decklist relates to.

What isn’t happening:

• Decklists are not being secretly given to anyone (to pick an example at random, the decks will not be given to Japanese players to help them for Worlds)
  • Any decklist seen outside of this building will be released to everyone on the main Pokemon.com website.​
  • No one in this building can play in the events​
  • Well except Prof cup. But these lists aren’t relevant for that​
  • Oh, there’s my Platinum Challenge at US Nationals… but these won’t help there either.​
  • Pickup games. We’ll totally clone a deck and crush kids at pickup games at Nationals. Of course everyone but me works roughly 72 hours straight…​
  • Anything bad

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Hey everyone! My family is planning a trip to nationals and we were wondering how late the nationals actually go for on Sunday. Does anyone have an idea when it ends? Perhaps someone from last year could tell me how late that one lasted? We're trying to determine if we need to stay an extra night or not at the hotel.
Honestly you don't need to be there Sunday unless you are in the finals.

If you're up against a Fake Out lead and have no way of outspeeding/disabling it, is a double Protect always the best option? Any reason that wouldn't be a wise move?

Does Sucker Punch work against the first turn of Shadow Force? I assume it doesn't work against the second (or to be more precise, would simply always miss).

1) Double-protect is definitely a good option, or switching in a ghost Pokemon if you want to play aggressively, but DP (lol) is usually a good option.

2) Sucker Punch will work on the first turn, but not on the second. It will just fail on the second turn of SF.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're up against a Fake Out lead and have no way of outspeeding/disabling it, is a double Protect always the best option? Any reason that wouldn't be a wise move?

Does Sucker Punch work against the first turn of Shadow Force? I assume it doesn't work against the second (or to be more precise, would simply always miss).
If you can, I'd try to predict who the opponent will hit. Double Protect can work but if any of these situations arise, you really don't want to give them a free turn if:

- The Fake Out user is being used to set up something else with the other Pokemon (substitute, stat up moves, and trick room are common ones)
- There is an exploder on the field who can explode next turn when both of your Protects are at 50%

Honestly you don't need to be there Sunday unless you are in the finals.
Yeah we already know this and we're actually planning to stick around Sunday in case one of us make it to finals. It's an eight hour drive for us, so it'll be nice to know ahead of time if we know if the finals end approximately at like noon or if they end later.

Yeah we already know this and we're actually planning to stick around Sunday in case one of us make it to finals. It's an eight hour drive for us, so it'll be nice to know ahead of time if we know if the finals end approximately at like noon or if they end later.
The finals normally end late afternoon, around 2-3PM. If you make finals, there will be photos, interviews, and paperwork to fill out - you will get out no later than 5PM.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
2 questions
1- when dealing with bulk in pokemon is it better to invest in thier hp or defences. if it depends can you please give me some examples :)[excluding blissy]

2-what are some great bulky pokemon that have an awsome heal move not dependent, example blissy with softboil.
i really appreciate the answers

2 questions
1- when dealing with bulk in pokemon is it better to invest in thier hp or defences. if it depends can you please give me some examples :)[excluding blissy]

2-what are some great bulky pokemon that have an awsome heal move not dependent, example blissy with softboil.
i really appreciate the answers
1. It depends on what you are going for. If you need the Pokemon to survive a specific attack (ex. Kyogre Water Spout), then it is better to invest in the appropriate defense (sp. def in this case). If you are simply looking for the Pokemon to be able to take hits of any kind, investing in HP is more effective. Usually you will want to use some combination of the two.

2. Blissey, Lugia, Cresselia, and Giratina-A are probably your best bets for bulky pokemon in this metagame. There might be another Pokemon that could work well (I could see Regice being very useful), but these are the 4 that have seen the most success.

This depends basically on 2 things: which kind of attacks you're concerned about the most (physical/special) and the difference between the base defensive stats. A Pokemon with very high base HP but low Def/SpDef would benefit the most from Def/SpDef EVs. A Pokemon with low HP but high defenses would benefit the most from HP EVs.

Even though you mentioned Blissey, it still serves as a good example. Assuming Bold nature and all 31s at level 100:

no EVs -> max EVs
HP: 651 -> 714 (10% increase)
Def: 61 -> 130 (113% increase)
SpDef: 306 -> 369 (21% increase)

Because its base defense is so low, maxing out Def EVs makes a huge difference for that stat, while maxing out HP is just a drop in the bucket and barely makes a difference at all.

Most examples aren't so obvious. Just run some damage calculations on common attacks you expect to be taking and see if you can lower key attacks from a 2HKO to a 3HKO and whatnot, if possible.

Is it wise to add two random Pokemon to my team sheet? I'm afraid of my opponent seeing my team by having one of my leads follow me. Does that even happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)