BW2 General Metagame Discussion Thread

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So anyone else seeing Latios everywhere; his LO set in particular I've been having a hard time defeating it with most of my newer teams. Surf wrecks Ttar, Hp Fire roasts steels and Dragon Stab demolishes everything else. Hell even Blissey and Chansey(Chansey less so) don't like taking Psyshocks. Anyone else been having trouble with the Eon Pokemon?

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So anyone else seeing Latios everywhere; his LO set in particular I've been having a hard time defeating it with most of my newer teams. Surf wrecks Ttar, Hp Fire roasts steels and Dragon Stab demolishes everything else. Hell even Blissey and Chansey(Chansey less so) don't like taking Psyshocks. Anyone else been having trouble with the Eon Pokemon?
I'm quite sure this kind of question belongs in the Simple Question thread, but whatever. Tyranitar is a hard counter for Latios. That's about the best you can do.

Back to the Trick Room discussion, I've found TR to be a great backup strategy for Stall. I successfully turned a match around with Trick Room Slowbro. Offensive teams certainly can't hanlde being outsped, as pokemon like Tornadus-T or Jolteon are frail as heck and can't take hits from slow yet powerful pokemon. Defensive teams can't handle it either, as suddenly their Taunters are being outsped and they are being set up on.

I'm quite sure this kind of question belongs in the Simple Question thread, but whatever. Tyranitar is a hard counter for Latios. That's about the best you can do.

Back to the Trick Room discussion, I've found TR to be a great backup strategy for Stall. I successfully turned a match around with Trick Room Slowbro. Offensive teams certainly can't hanlde being outsped, as pokemon like Tornadus-T or Jolteon are frail as heck and can't take hits from slow yet powerful pokemon. Defensive teams can't handle it either, as suddenly their Taunters are being outsped and they are being set up on.

lol that is a legit statement/question for Bw2 discussion.

Sash Mamoswine crushes latios. It can use 2 ice shards to take it out or one endeavor and one ice shard to KO it. And your remaining HP is really useful to cripple any pokemon with endeavor.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
loaded out properly, latios has always hit like a truck; that's why it's useful. tyranitar is the closest you'll get to a counter if it's spdef enough to take a few meteors (iirc it is possible since you have sand boost), but when you get to the power class of a specs latios, it's more about checking than it is about countering. in fact, against a lot of modern threats, it's more about checking than it is about countering.

scarf/bandtar might not necessarily be bulky enough to switch in (vs specs, the second draco meteor will finish you off if you're not significantly invested in special bulk) but their pursuits will implode latios, and ofc you also have a variety of scarfers carrying ice-type attacks. scarf terrak's x-scissor also really really hurts (i've spent a long time trying to EV latias to take on terrakion, trust me).

loaded out properly, latios has always hit like a truck; that's why it's useful. tyranitar is the closest you'll get to a counter if it's spdef enough to take a few meteors (iirc it is possible since you have sand boost), but when you get to the power class of a specs latios, it's more about checking than it is about countering. in fact, against a lot of modern threats, it's more about checking than it is about countering.

scarf/bandtar might not necessarily be bulky enough to switch in (vs specs, the second draco meteor will finish you off if you're not significantly invested in special bulk) but their pursuits will implode latios, and ofc you also have a variety of scarfers carrying ice-type attacks. scarf terrak's x-scissor also really really hurts (i've spent a long time trying to EV latias to take on terrakion, trust me).
If I have a Tyranitar and I'm facing a Latios, I'll typically sack something I don't really need in that battle so I can get TTar in. That way Latios is screwed no matter what...

I have had a lot of fun using Lickilicky in OU. His Cloud Nine ability is a huge problem for Weather teams. A bulky Lickilicky can switch into most attacks, and proceed to Toxic their weather user (Ninetails, Politoed, Hippodown, TTar). Then you can drive them crazy with Knock Off to remove key items, Body Slam to spread paralysis, Disable to remove their only move than can damage Lickilicky, or phaze them with Dragon Tail. Lickilicky also has a huge movepool for coverage, including Earthquake and Boltbeam.

Has anyone used Lickilicky or another Cloud Nine Pokemon? I've found people rage quit as soon as I send him out and cripple their weather user.

This might sound weird, but I've been using toxicroak as part of a weatherless team. He's got a nice set of resists - fighting, bug, poison, dark, grass and rock - and he can absorb toxic spikes for your team. I run the swords dance set, and it's not particularly hard to find set-up opportunities, and once he's gotten a boost or two, he's very hard to stop thanks to sucker punch (if croak is boosted it's usually pretty easy to predict when to attack and when to flee - and when sucker punch won't be enough).
I really think croak should see more usage, he really is fantastic.

Yeah toxicroak can be pretty anti meta when played right, although I find you have to give up sub to get the best coverage with suckerpunch/icepunch/drainpunch. Unfortuneatly, this leaves him susceptible to status. Going with sub just means you get walled against a well balanced team. Still, he's a cool pokemon that has finally found his niche in OU.

edit: totally going off the subject here, max defense/hp slowbro with regenerator and a rocky helmet is a fantastic all around physical wall that can effectively punish things like closecombat, non scizor uturns, premature outraging, and other various common contact moves. I only thought of him because he's one of those things that laughs at a +2 croak suckerpunch and then psyshocks him to oblivion; only to switch out scot free.

By 'laughs at' what do you mean? How much damage is a defensive Slowbro actually taking from a +2 sucker punch?

Alice

The worst taste in music
I also tried running a bulky
instead of Gliscor as a pseudo spinblocker - switch in on the spinner, sub up, DD or 2 away, and sweep.
Rotom taking neutral and Gyara taking lots from SR hurts a bit, but the tradeoff is well worth it -when the opportunity strikes, get Reuniclus in and start your TR sweep.
How is exactly gyarados setting up on Starmie, the most common spinner?, most of them, if not all of them, carry t-bolt OR scald...

Tentacruel also threatens scald

Forretress' volt switch 2hkoes (with SR and sand damage your gyara is left at 18% more or less, so it's an easy target for any priority user...)

Withour a REAL spinblocker, you're not getting past stall anytime soon...

Run some Special Defense EVs on Tyranitar if you are having trouble or just add a Special Defense Jirachi on your team, it stops Latios's attacks cold.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
edit: totally going off the subject here, max defense/hp slowbro with regenerator and a rocky helmet is a fantastic all around physical wall that can effectively punish things like closecombat, non scizor uturns, premature outraging, and other various common contact moves. I only thought of him because he's one of those things that laughs at a +2 croak suckerpunch and then psyshocks him to oblivion; only to switch out scot free.
Sure, Slowbro can live a +2 Sucker Punch, but I wouldn't call 74% - 83% damage "laughing at a +2 Sucker Punch". Even with Regenerator, you'll be coming back in at only around 50% the next time, and if the opponent has a Pursuit user (like Scizor for example, who's pretty good in rain) then Slowbro is done. So, yes, Slowbro can take a +2 Sucker Punch from Croak and kill it off with Psyshock, but Slowbro certainly won't be "laughing" at it either.

Sure, Slowbro can live a +2 Sucker Punch, but I wouldn't call 74% - 83% damage "laughing at a +2 Sucker Punch". Even with Regenerator, you'll be coming back in at only around 50% the next time, and if the opponent has a Pursuit user (like Scizor for example, who's pretty good in rain) then Slowbro is done. So, yes, Slowbro can take a +2 Sucker Punch from Croak and kill it off with Psyshock, but Slowbro certainly won't be "laughing" at it either.
What are we talking about here? An adamant lifeorb toxicroak? Because that gets outsped by so many eq users its a marginal concern. And really the situation you describe would only occur under a bad double switch, because if i call in slowbro again you can be sure ill be switching him out asap.

In a metagame infested with Rain, I haven't seen any use Toxicroak. Tornadus-T is probably to blame. lol Not sure what is Rain's main sweeper at the given time. Keldeo wasnt as a success as expected. Usage stats will be much appreciated. ^^

In my opinion, I think Gastrodon should definitely be used more with all the Rain teams running around. Storm Drain helps so much and it basically walls Thundurus-T. Also, Jirachi is a great Pokemon at this time with Tornadus-T destroying with Hurricane.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In my opinion, I think Gastrodon should definitely be used more with all the Rain teams running around. Storm Drain helps so much and it basically walls Thundurus-T. Also, Jirachi is a great Pokemon at this time with Tornadus-T destroying with Hurricane.
I agree that Gastrodon should be going up in usage, but at the same time I felt like I saw it all the time 2 weeks ago and I saw a lot of Thundurus-Ts with grass knot. Also gastrodon cant take a hit from Tornadus-T too well, which I feel definitely has an impact on his presence in OU.
252 SpAtk Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Gastrodon (+SpDef) : 43.66% - 51.41% (3 hits to KO)

With Rocks or A layer of spikes, Gastrodon is very scared of OUs new biggest threat.

Yeah, Gastrodon would definitely benefit from a spinner. As well as hazards to wear down Thundurus-T. The biggest problem with Tornadus-T is access to Regenerator. Whenever it's walled, it can just U-turn out and when it comes back, 1/3 of its HP is healed.

What's the best way to breakdown the heatran, slowbro, and amoongus core? I've been using a lot with great success and nothing seems to break it.

Gastrodon is still a very good 'mon against rain teams, obviously, but as Kiyo said, it's pretty weak to several BW2 new toys such Breloom, Tornadus-T (with hazards support), Thundurus-T with GK and even Keldeo, though the latter is not as played as expected. It is still very good to check some dangerous rain threats, but even rain offensive teams henceforth have some good weapons to destroy it, so I guess it's logical that it is not as used as it was in BW1.

What's the best way to breakdown the heatran, slowbro, and amoongus core? I've been using a lot with great success and nothing seems to break it.
I've seen Tornadus-T handle it quiet well. It can Hurricane Slowbro, Superpower Heatran, and Hurricane Amoonguss. U-Turn as pleases to counter the Pokemon at hand.

Hydreigon can easily handle all three with the right coverage moves. Earth power for tran, dark pulse for bro, meteor or fire blast for amoongus. It can also run taunt or sub to block spore.

Hydreigon can easily handle all three with the right coverage moves. Earth power for tran, dark pulse for bro, meteor or fire blast for amoongus. It can also run taunt or sub to block spore.
But if Hydreigon was Paralyzed it will be horrible against Slowbro ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)