CAP 10 CAP 10 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Well, I thought of Aquamp(Aqua + Amp) the instant the types were announced, but seeing as CAP10 is a shrimp, we might want to change it to Aquaimp(Aqua + shrimp(the imp bit) + amp(when you take out i).

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission:
Flashrimp

It's so simple and obvious that I can't believe it hasn't been suggested yet. "Flash" because it is both descriptive of electricity and high speed, "shrimp" because CAP10....is a shrimp.

The best other names I've heard so far (probably better than mine, really) are Shockrill and Krillowatt. They each say "electric shrimp-thingy" in a way that both sounds like a Pokemon and hasn't been done yet by any existing Pokemon.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

I'll try my hand:

Elecean (or Elacean): Combines Electric, Crustacean, and even Ocean if you want!

also sounds like elation, happy shrimp!

FINAL SUBMISSION
I'm going to go for:
Decawatt
(Deca because it's a Decapod, and Watt because it's electrical. it also sound Kinda like Decowatt, which is a somewhat uncommon unit of electricity. I feel this also suits it because I see these as being pretty rare creatures, possibly living only in certain areas)

@Vleeter: Kinesta...I really like the way that sounds. It flows really well...I just wish you'd explain what it means.

@heatran1919: I don't mean to sound hostile, but your submission seems really similar to my "Gumbolt" (it's on page 2).
Wow... XD, our submissions were just a letter off from eachother, with 2 different concepts behind 'em. What are the odds?

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
@ZystraL: Great minds think alike, I guess. Our name submission is almost identical (mine is post #6 on the first page).

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ebion
Ebi (Japanese word for shrimp) + Ion (an electrically charged particle)

This is a tiny pokemon, so I think a short name fits nicely.

I also like Thegamer's submission of "Krillowatt". It's a long name, but it fits together perfectly.

Biotick- bioelectric + Misspelled aquatic
Lumiere - Invented the lightbulb, did work on the camera/early cinema. French for light
Volateur - Volt+teur (doer of suffix in French). Invokes Volatile and Saboteur, both of which it fit it's purpose.

Final Submission

Swell

"A swell, in the context of an ocean, sea or lake, is a formation of long-wavelength surface waves."

A swell is basically the ocean current. You make the connections.

(Ocean~Water/Electric~Current)

Final Submission

Final Submission

Shrimpot

It's simple and effective on several levels. It incorporates a science term without it dominating the name. i.e. It doesn't scream "HEY GUYS I'M A PORTMANTEAU" like a lot of the other submissions here. This is what I like about Cyclohm's name as well.

Needless elaboration that no one's going to read

Honestly, as a physics student, a lot of the science-incorporating names and explanations make me cringe a little. I don't want to name names. Anyway, "Shrimpot" is a portmanteau (oh man we don't have enough of these) of "shrimp" and "pot". Why "pot", you say!?!? Why, "pots" are what allow you to change your computer's speaker volume after you foolishly click on that .on.nimp.org link! But seriously, "pot" is a common shorthand for "potentiometer", which is commonly used as a variable resistor, though it has a few other adjustment-related uses. Now look at CAP 10's main concept: "Utility Counter". See where I'm going here? This shrimp adjusts itself to adapt to specific threats. You adjust your laptop screen's brightness to adapt to specific battery levels. It makes perfect sense!

(Sadly, I did go to the Wikipedia page to refresh my memory on some of these things. At least I admit it, guys.)

Other people's names I liked

Negetrawn: Actually, this is a pretty terrible name, but it made me laugh, go it's in.

Krillotine: I love the irony of a shrimp having such an intimidating name.

Flashrimp and Ebion: Probably the most simple-yet-effective names ITT. Also doesn't sound at all like random names that someone came up with from inside his grandmother's basement for the lulz.

Penaeaday: I like the combination of the prawn genus and the scientist's name here for pretty much the same reasons I like Cyclohm and my own submission. It kind of sucks that the species specification ("monodon") was lost completely in the name, though.

Krillowatt: This may very well be the best pun ITT.

A good try

Badawang
: I like that the name tries to be different by using Korean, but oh god I hate Korean romanization so much, and this is a prime example of why I do. The name actually sounds pretty epic in Korean, but with English enunciation it just fails.

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Final Submission

Kramp
Krill+Amp

It would be awesome because someone in the pokemon universe would be swimming at the beach with his mate and he'd be like:

"Oh shit, Kramp!"
".... Muscle or Pokemon?"
"Muscle, you idiot! OW! OW!"
"Oh, ok"

People are always gettin cramps while swimming =P

Final Submission:

Rakavolt

Pronounciation: Ra-ka-volt

Origin: räka [Swedish word for Shrimp] + Volt

Explanation:

This CAP seems to be a bit of a Swiss Army Knife, so what better than the swedish word for Shrimp in it's name? Not only does 'Raka' sound cool, and mixes with 'Volt' almost perfectly, but it's also accurate, being a shrimp.
How does this make sense? Swiss = Switzerland, not Sweden.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Scurrint

Breakdown: Scurry + Current + cute spelling change

Explanation: I was thinking about the word "current" for naming this CAP and how it applies so well to its typing (electric current and ocean current) and wanted to build a name off of it. It just so happened that the word "current" closely resembled the tail end of the word "scurry," which I can easily visualize a small shrimp with 105 base Speed doing as it frantically counters things. Changing the "e" in current to an "i" gives it a cuter visual impression without looking forced, and "Scurrint" is what came about. Enjoy!

@Tortferngatr: Aaaaah! Too many vowels! It burns! Seriously though, it's a good concept. You might want to consider shortening it to "Whaiat" or just "Whatt". Both of those would get the same meaning across in a more concise way.
Okay. Does Whaiatt sound better?

Once again, it's a combination of the common Internetspeak phrase Whaaaaaaaaaat? (which, kind of like Bulbasaur's Japanese name [which is a pun on Japanese for "strange, isn't it?"] accurately describes a shrimp with 151 base HP,) and "watt."

The "i" was inserted to give a legitimate excuse for a triple vowel in its name.

Final Submission

Scurrint

Breakdown: Scurry + Current + cute spelling change

Explanation: I was thinking about the word "current" for naming this CAP and how it applies so well to its typing (electric current and ocean current) and wanted to build a name off of it. It just so happened that the word "current" closely resembled the tail end of the word "scurry," which I can easily visualize a small shrimp with 105 base Speed doing as it frantically counters things. Changing the "e" in current to an "i" gives it a cuter visual impression without looking forced, and "Scurrint" is what came about. Enjoy!
Scurrunt?

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hmm Scurrunt is interesting; I definitely see the appeal of "runt" referring to its size. Pronunciation-wise, though, I think getting the "runt" part enunciated correctly would force emphasis on the second syllable, as opposed to the first, which sounds awkward to me. I'm open to changing it, though, so any other thoughts would be appreciated.

FINAL SUBMISSION

Final Submission: Ampion

Champion+Amp.

It not only SOUNDS like a Pokemon name (especially given that its BST effectively forces us to make some sort of pre-evolution to this thing in CAP Kitchen,) but it rolls off the tongue, and there really shouldn't be any discrepancy in pronunciation.

-Torterra-Infernape-Feraligatr-

I think it's really sad how horrifically uncreative some of these are. :\ That said, here are a few that I think are pretty good.

Carivolt has a nice ring to it, I think I probably like this best of the names that attempt to use a latin word for shrimp with an electrical element. It doesn't mesh or anything like 'Torchic', but I don't think it needs to, it just sounds catchy. Rakavolt is also nice for similar reasons, but I personally like Carivolt better.

Krilowat is a sort of punny thing in the way that Carivolt isn't. It's also probably the only punny name where I was like 'hmm, that's pretty cool', as opposed to *facepalm*

Ebion sort of does what I wanted to do with using the japanese word for shrimp, only better (mine was Gloebi). My only complaint with it is an inconsistency between the pronunciation of the 'i' in 'ebi' and 'ion', but it's overlookable enough.

Scurrent (Scurrint, Scurrunt?) is okay, playing off of the thing's supposed method of movement, which I like. It just kind of sounds like something a shrimp might be called, which I like about it.

...that's about it for me. /picky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)