CAP 18 CAP 18 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Okay, little about my CAP. Based on underwater mines and puffer-fish (no-one dare say it looks like Qwilfish). Tried my best to replicate Sugimori style; hope i did well. Nothing else to say really so I will do some comments. If you are not here, your entry was not on the first post.

Agous - It is cute and stuff, but it does not really show fire that much. Also, what do those blue lumps on its back represent or add to the design. The yellow also confuses me :S However looking in your art thread, you have improved SO much, so keep working on your design.
Arkeis - Well, an original concept and done very well. It is a clever idea to combine a teapot with an elephant but I think you should work on the design a bit more. I know its just a WIP but I hope your next art looks even better :D
Birkal - Hmmm, I'm not sure whether I like this or not. It looks cute and stuff, but I feel... I don't really know what I don't like about it. Well, no-one else has this idea and if you develop it further I may like it more
Blue Frog - Lol, so cute :D The lobster looks a lot better, I recommend sticking at that and it is an interesting, original concept. Be careful not to make it too steel type though and maybe change the face a bit to make it look more lobstery. I think it will do well in the polls!
Bramblestein - Well your image was humongous, so it was hard to see what it was, but from what I could gather, it was a squirrel with a bowl on his back? I'm not really feeling this concept. The fire and water look too forced but if you want to continue with this design, go ahead. You may surprise me!
Chomz - Well this is a very unexplored, interesting idea but it looks a bit... idk, not that noticable. I get that its a WIP though. If i had a criticism, try and represent fire in a way other than just flames tacked on at the end.
Cretacerus - This could be the dark horse. I love the concept and I was going to do something similar myself but you pulled it off way better than I could. However, try to make it look less rocky. I know this will be hard but I think you will be able to pull it off as it doesn't suggest fire type that much, other than the red parts (I know mine doesn't either - accidental pun lel)
CyzirVisheen - Yours is probably my favourite of them all so far. Please, PLEASE colour it! It's a really fascinating idea and it look great even as a sketch! Love it!
D4rk3r - Well tbh it looks too similar to Castform Sunny and the water type is really forced with just a single raindrop on its head. Try another idea in my opinion.
DHR-107 - Well I'm a bit torn on this one, I like the idea but I don't think the concept is evident enough through the art. Maybe making it more industrial while not making it too steel type would help, like adding pipes and stuff? IDK don't listen to me
Dracoyoshi8 - Wow you have so many different concepts but in my opinion stick with hammerhead. It is a good idea but I think the fire gill is a bit strange so take it off. Other than that, I'd like to see a fully coloured version.
elcheeso - Cute and simple, but a good idea. I like the blue beard one best, it looks like a waterfall, which really helps emphasise the water typing, while not being forced on like others have done. Like I said in IRC, make the hump more... humpy lol. But if you don't want to, it doesn't make that much of a difference, it would just look better in my opinion.
epicparker - Well, I get the idea, but it just looks a bit strange. I would probably take off the flames but I like how the red part merges into the blue part. Idk really
EpicUmbreon29 - Well, without your post, I didn't know what it was and that is a bad thing because you want it to be evident right away. The water looks a bit forced and the hydrothermic vents just look like they were plonked on top, but it is actually a good idea so if you continue with it, try to incorporate the types better into it.
Flame_Effigy -Hmm. In my honest opinion, I don't really like it because the fire and water just don't flow or work at all with the dreamcatcher. They just looked really forced. I think it would be better if you continued with another idea.
FlinchMachine - I think it has too much detail. I don't really get what that cloud is there for and there is no real representation of fire type there. So, I don't really think its a very good idea. Sorry to be brutal like that :(
Flummoxen - I like the idea but the design is very simple atm and looks even a bit steel type. I'd probably change the skin colour a bit to make it less steely but I do like the idea.
GhostlyTrio - Hmmm, the design kind of works and its cute and funny and fits both typings. However I would try to incorporate the fire type better. The necklace should be gone imo aswell.
GreatLiver - Go with the elephant imo, it has more potential and I don't know what the other one is. I can see the elephant as like a fire fighter and that is pretty cool.
GRs Cousin - Yeah, I suppose this could sort of work if you put a bit more emhasis on fire and water other than just chemical symbols and different colours
Gun6 - This is one of my favourite designs in the thread! It's just so cool. It shows off both typings and is a very unique way of representing the fire and water types. I love it! And I hope you don't change ideas :0
Harle - Umm its an okay design, it just doesn't stand out as much against the rest of the designs. It is a good idea and if you developed it into a more interesting design, it could change my opinion!
Harry.Buxton - This is actually a great fakemon! it looks interesting and no-one else has done it quite like you. Keep going, I can't wait to see further artwork from you.
hendrix96 - Sorry to say but the idea has been taken, although you take the idea in a completely different direction, emphasising a lot on the water type. I feel like this would have got more attention if you had posted it earlier and made the colours a bit brighter so it stood out. Oh well.
HollowRidley - Well. I don't really know what it is. Colour it and it may look different.
ilovekirby12 - Its an okay idea. Looks like Castform a bit but it shows off both typings well, I suppose
Kadew - I much prefer the eel to the axolotl, it flowed better and imo it worked, whereas the axolotl looks a bit weird. Maybe if it was all coloured in nicely in a nicer pose, I would have a different opinion
Knirp - go with the other clown fish, it looked better. Umm I don't really see the fire type if I'm honest so try to somehow make it more evident. (I did love your last CAP though)
Kyukon - Hi! Well, as I said on showdown, I do like the idea but the arms and the pose make it look a bit humpback and zombieish. That was what wa sbugging me, I finally figured it out! But in my opinion, it is a great design and I for one love it.
leafflare8097 - No, sorry, the types just seem way to forced for my liking. The bubbles and fire just don't work together on this design
macle - hehe love it
Magistrum - You know where I stand on this! I love both of them but if I had to choose... I can't choose, but between the blue flask and the Kappa. They are so cool! I know your gonna bomb the polls again :D
mcFlareon - Hi, I like the crab a lot and the jellyfish is cool too. I don't know which to pick so I'd develop all three and colour them if you have time and it might make it easier to choose
miririri - I love this design, personally, not much criticism i can give really.

I'm gonna post the rest of comments later; there's so many entries D: Sorry they got shorter and shorter. I was getting more and more bored :S
I love this one. Weird that I didn't think of it.

Birkal: The whale shark design is so clever! It's really cool as well, as this design makes it look like it can benefit from shoring onto a beach. In addition, I see this as an HP-abundant mon (Wailord ranking #4 in HP stat, Courtesy Serebii), which I believe can benefit this Pokémon as a Major Third.

Agous: The manatee design is so cute. One thing I definitely like about it is the small amount of red. I usually expect a Fire type to be a shade of red or orange, and the ones that aren't are more to my aesthetic liking (i.e. nonshiny Chandelure, Reshiram). The use of red for the coloring was very minimal, which made it look different an appealing imo. Again, I believe this could be bulky, and can benefit our core well!

Magistrum: The Kappa design is gold! I might get crap for saying this, but it reminds me of Pyroak (just the bipedalness and fire typing, but that's it). The concept of a steaming kappa, however, feels individual all the same. Because kappa's can have turtle-like beaks and shells, I feel that this is another defensive design that can work well for this concept.
I was previously blown away by your first Flask Homunculus design. I thought the tiny legs were an odd but clever design for it (because I initially thought everyone was going to make "Never Skip Leg Day" jokes). The removal of the legs is what drove me to have more hope in the Kappa design. In contrast, I'm really hoping that the Flask gets more appeal since it still looks really creative and would look great with our core.
Both of your designs look physically defensive.

mcFlareon: Out of the three you've submitted, the crab and the jellyfish are probably my favorite in terms of aesthetic and cleverness. While I'd really like something based on a mythical creature, or a non-aquatic creature, for this CAP, these two look the best. I hope your designs get much appeal :)

Yilx: I'm glad I saved this for last. I felt that the flaming Sea Angel was genius! I see lots of potential in this design and think it's the most creative along with Magistrum's Flask Homunculus.
One thing I really appreciate about this design is the lack of red or orange. When I heard about the typing, I was excited to see a lot of red or orange designs! However, I felt that the amount of designs with shades of red was TOO DAMN HIGH!, well, after viewing the thread for the last few days. The magenta and indigo really caught my eye, and the wavy flames was just so damn clever! Considering our core, I think there can be non-aesthetic additions that can make it fit well.

Basically, these were my favorites so far!

Last edited:

Regime

the party is December 18th
is an Artist Alumnus
Birkal: The whale shark design is so clever! It's really cool as well, as this design makes it look like it can benefit from shoring onto a beach. In addition, I see this as an HP-abundant mon (Wailord ranking #4 in HP stat, Courtesy Serebii), which I believe can benefit this Pokémon as a Major Third.

Agous: The manatee design is so cute. One thing I definitely like about it is the small amount of red. I usually expect a Fire type to be a shade of red or orange, and the ones that aren't are more to my aesthetic liking (i.e. nonshiny Chandelure, Reshiram). The use of red for the coloring was very minimal, which made it look different an appealing imo. Again, I believe this could be bulky, and can benefit our core well!

Magistrum: The Kappa design is gold! I might get crap for saying this, but it reminds me of Pyroak (just the bipedalness and fire typing, but that's it). The concept of a steaming kappa, however, feels individual all the same. Because kappa's can have turtle-like beaks and shells, I feel that this is another defensive design that can work well for this concept.
I was previously blown away by your first Flask Homunculus design. I thought the tiny legs were an odd but clever design for it (because I initially thought everyone was going to make "Never Skip Leg Day" jokes). The removal of the legs is what drove me to have more hope in the Kappa design. In contrast, I'm really hoping that the Flask gets more appeal since it still looks really creative and would look great with our core.
Both of your designs look physically defensive.

mcFlareon: Out of the three you've submitted, the crab and the jellyfish are probably my favorite in terms of aesthetic and cleverness. While I'd really like something based on a mythical creature, or a non-aquatic creature, for this CAP, these two look the best. I hope your designs get much appeal :)

Yilx: I'm glad I saved this for last. I felt that the flaming Sea Angel was genius! I see lots of potential in this design and think it's the most creative along with Magistrum's Flask Homunculus.
One thing I really appreciate about this design is the lack of red or orange. When I heard about the typing, I was excited to see a lot of red or orange designs! However, I felt that the amount of designs with shades of red was TOO DAMN HIGH!, well, after viewing the thread for the last few days. The magenta and indigo really caught my eye, and the wavy flames was just so damn clever! Considering our core, I think there can be non-aesthetic additions that can make it fit well.

Basically, these were my favorites so far!

haha thanks. also, to get the artists attention, do @ <the username> (dont put a space between "@" and the username. this way it'll alert them

Ok, I am a terrible artist, but I'd just like to say that I love Magistrum's Flask Homonculus design. Just a bit of flavor talk here, but maybe those are the male and female? Or maybe they're just two different variants?

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
holy crap im loving frikin every design. to point out a few off of the top of my head

Birkal loving the fire breathing snapper. its hilarious and it would be a cool design.

Magistrum diggin the hot spring kappa.

Yilx loving the sea angel. it just looks really cool and it captures the essence of a water/fire type.

if anybody wants me to check out one of their designs just send me a PM

Hollymon I love this design! My only critique is that the face seems weird with those two black dots right under and touching the eyes. I don't know what you were going for there, but it just seems strange to me. Otherwise, I love this thing!
Magistrum You have to go with the Hot Spring Kappa. It's one of the best if not the best design for this CAP so far. I love it.
CyzirVisheen I would love to see you pursue that design! I would love to see it in color and with more details! I think it could really make for a great CAP.
miririri That design is so perfect imo. It's the perfect combination of Fire/Water and adorable. The one tiny, minute thing I would love to see changed is that the end of its tail looks like a leaf to me, rather than what I assume you were going for in a drop of water. Just make it look more drop of water-y, XD. Great design!
Birkal I love your design too! God, it's so hard to pick a favorite! But yours is so cute but also a really good representation of our CAP!
Arkeis That is just the perfect idea for a CAP. It's so cute and so Fire/Water and so awesome. Love it.

So these are basically my favorites, and I will have so much trouble in the voting to choose between them.

Ok, so the Cauldron Cat pokemon. (Scaldron?)

Inspiration taken from witches cauldrons and from black cat familiars. Also Grumpy Cat.

Brews various potions both hurtful and helpful that is uses for its attacks. Regulates brewing temperature with the flames on its stomach, and stirs the contents with its spoon-like tail.

Occasionally brews healing potions for hurt pokemon; or poisons them. You know, for fun. Cats are fickle like that.

Loves to take naps in fireplaces.

Going for a Sun + Rainbow design.

As-is, it's surely still way too fiery and doesn't show enough water, but edits will continue to come.
Edit: Fixed clouds and removed shoulder flames.
Edit: Added arms and legs.
Edit: I think this is gonna be my final design. Time to draw supplemental art.

Precipice - First head.
viiragon - Great design! It doesn't look anything like a water pokemon, though. It just looks like a cute pure firemon

Last edited:

Drew this in five minutes so it is very much a draft.
Will refine it later if I can be bothered.
Not really even sure what it's supposed to be but it looks fiery and watery enough.

I almost want to give up and just throw all my support behind the cauldron cat, heh... Anyway, while I liked the idea of a Charon-Rowboat-Angler-Fish, I kind wanted to shift gears toward designs with more personality... Quite literally; I wanted these two designs to express their typing through their attitudes as much as their looks.

The first I already posted a rough draft of, but it didn't express enough. I call him the Mad Betta... Or Mad Sciencefish. *shrug*... I can't really explain how I connected the dots between mad scientist, fire, water, and betta fish, but it all made sense in my head somehow. He's a betta fish with an endless supply of betta rage burning eternally in his gut that causes him to constantly emit steam from the sheer heat of his own fiery rage. Bettas being solitary fish (for the most part) I often wonder what could possibly be going through their fishy brains (I have a lot of bettas...) and imagined my rage-filled fish performing experiments with the pebbles in his tank... So then he became a scientist while still maintaining the intelligence of your average ol' fish. He constantly amazes himself with the results of his pebble rearranging experiments, finding fleeting moments of contentment in the midst of his mind-boggling scientific misadventures.

The second one is perhaps more "typing as personality" driven. I call it the "mourner". It is a sad, sad little Pokemon that lives only to keep the flame lit on its tiny candle. Its life revolves around the candle as the candle itself is an old memory; a tribute to those the mourner has lost. The trouble is—and this is why the mourner grows more soul-crushingly unhappy as its little life drags on—it was born with a raincloud permanently situated over its head. It spends all day and night protecting its memento from the rain. I wasn't entirely serious with this design, but I ended up liking it. I also rather liked the idea of, instead of breathing fire like many other fire types, the mourner breathes flammable gas. By blowing into the candle, it creates fire attacks.

epicparker

Banned deucer.
Hey y'all (Hm. I don't typically use that word). I'm back and I've ditched the hippocampus. My new 'mon is based on the Kawah Ijen Volcano (cuz it's blue and frickin' awesome (link)) and a the spider crab (link). When I saw the blue volcano in a science magazine I knew it was perfect for the Fire/Water CAP. Well, here it is:

And the shiny is here: http://i.imgur.com/7ZIIng7.jpg (didn't feel like putting both pics in one post)

I feel like it's good, but could use some input. Thanks!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
  • Petsinwinter: Yep, if the steam is part of the design, it's allowed by art rules. :) One immediate concern I may have about the design is that it, being a boiler, is made of metal. The CAP is a Fire/Water type, so Steel-type inferences would not work well for designs. If the boiler was made of a different material, I think it'd fit the typing more. I think the eyes should be either more like gauges or less so; they currently look like emblems in circles. Maybe coloring in the drawing will help make them less divided.
  • Knirp: Clever. :) I think the design works really well. The way you designed the clownfish makes it so it's not that appealing, visually, to viewers, despite the technical skill used in the drawing. Making the drawing more animated, perhaps, will help with making the design both technically and aesthetically impressive.
  • Gun6: Is there a pun I'm missing? o3o The design seems cobbled together, since I'm not 'getting' it. I get the Fire/Water typing, but a cat, water heater, and thermometer--I don't see how they're supposed to go together. :/
  • The Steam Punk: Ah, cauldrons are indicative of Fire and Water, although boiling water in general seems like a common idea. How will your design stand out amidst the others? The design itself works all right, but it's not outstanding to me personally.
  • hendrix96: WIth no offense to your design, but I think Arkeis's teapot elephant has cinched teapot designs. A blazing shark is unexplored territory, so instead of a teapot, I'd think to use another fire-associated concept.
  • D4rk3r: You know, I'm fond of the design. :) I could see it in-game much more easily than some other designs. It works for Fire/Water!
  • elcheeso: Idea's cool. ouob I'm curious as to what's inside the holes on the side of the camel. Magma? Beyond that, the only qualm with the design I have is that the head and/or eyes could be enlarged, since it looks disproportionate;y small currently.
  • Yveltal: Hmm, very interesting choice of idea for Fire/Water. I wouldn't have expected this in a year! With that said, I can see Fire/Water quite well already. :) The fins are watery enough, and the markings and tufts help with Fire. I suppose color will help flesh out typing more.
  • miririri: Salamanders fit Fire/Water, and your design is cute and creative. :) Nicely made!
  • Panzer Jaeger: Hmm, I'm having a hard time interpreting Fire/Water as a typing from your design. The spikes, furrowed eyebrows, and concept make me think Dark. The hose could be water, but it doesn't feel obvious enough to me. Perhaps curb some spikes or dark coloring would help, if you wouldn't mind editing that.
  • Yilx: Ooh, pretty. :) The design could show the Fire typing a little more, although I can understand how the purple bits connect it to Fire. If I didn't, hmm, I might've thought of it as Psychic or something.
  • GhostlyTrio: Penguins are polar birds, but you've done a good job of making the drawing look not like an Ice- or Flying type. The fiery eyebrows work really well with rockhopper penguins. :) Could there be something beyond the fact it's a penguin that would indicate it's a Water-type?
  • Kyukon: Nice design. ouob It fits the typing well, and the concept behind it helps the design greatly! It's something I wouldn't have thought of, yet, well, it's great! I don't have much more to say.
  • pkmn-taicho321: The teapot elephant jellyfish is wonderfully inventive, and the jellyfish is great, too. I personally like the teapot, since the balloon doesn't have the same charm to it. However, since there are other elephant teapots out there, maybe you should go with the balloon.
  • viiragon: Cool design. :) Nice dynamic drawing, too, you've got. The design fits Fire and Water, what we have currently, and it's a nice change of pace from the more organic-looking fiery fishes.
  • Dracoyoshi8: Ah, you're quite prolific with concepts, aren't you? Your hammerhead shark's got personality from your art style, and it of course fits Fire and Water. It's a good design. ouob
  • GreatLiver: The jellyifsh is a bit hard for me to distinguish, although that's from the lack of the depth rather than the design itself. Flamethrower/hose elephant is a good start, but all of the attention in the design is at the head. The rest of the body is rather nondistinct. I'd like to see both designs fleshed out; perhaps the jellyfish more, since, er, yeah, there are elephants around from other artists.
  • ProfPuppyPunter: I must say that the steam shrimp genie wasn't obvious to me at first glance. It looked like a pangolin or something. o3o The turtle is more obvious. If you'd like to go with the genie, would you think whiskers would help it look more shrimp-like and more genie-like? A genie is a nice contrast from the other aquatic designs, which may include your turtle, so that'd help your design stand out.
  • Zephias: This is a spot where it's best to pull back and examine your design; does it indicate the typing through the concept or coloring? I don't see Fire/Water with lines, and relying on colors and influences doesn't help. :/ Might I suggest going with something that tends to the typing more easily?
  • Dragonblaze052: Ah, great! You've fleshed that design out, and it's got a great form. :) Do you think you could make it more fiery? Blues, blues, and off-white spikes say Water-type, but without indication that the shell is a volcano, it's less obvious it's meant to be a Fire-type. Adding different colors would also help differentiate it from Carracosta, whic has a similar idea and color scheme.
  • Cretacerus: Hmm, the volcanic vent pokemon still says Rock more than Fire/Water. :/ I can see it as the intended typing, but I see it more easily as Rock/Poison or something. On the other hand, I really like how geometrically organized your drawing is. :D The rocks and claws are really sharply drawn.
  • Bramblestein: The octopus integrates that boiling water with the body more than the capybara, so I'd go with that. An octopus is also inherently more of a Water-type than capybaras, although, well, my design is a feline, so I can't say that as a bad thing. :P
  • User of Shadows: Oh, wolves. X3 While I understand such a want, well, connecting a wolf to Fire/Water is harder than connecting the sea slug. Is there anything more to the wolf than just wanting a wolf for a wolf's sake? Mythology, perhaps? I'd stick with the sea slug. :/
  • Mos-Quitoxe: Aaaaah, I love the barrel froth. :D It's obvious yet creative! I don't have much constructive criticism about the design, but I do have one comment about it technically. I think you could improve upon the legs' anatomy. They look quite stiff, without a clear distinction between upper leg and lower leg. The beard on my design was supposed to be an extension of waves, hence why they curl so much. Maybe it could be less curly and shorter. I fear removing it entirely will make the area look empty.
  • CyzirVisheen: Haha, cute and feisty, I see. It's got charm, although I'm not personally interested in the concept of a boiling beaker. Maybe I've already been swayed by Magistrum's homunculus. :/
  • paintseagull: There's something utterly familiar with your design, but I can't pin the familiarity down. It's a good familiarity, though. I like the starfish and the critter under it. :D
  • Precipice: Colors! I'd say the colors define your design's typing well. Just to remind you, if you want to incorporate fire into the design, you'll have to outline it. I personally like the version without fire, just to say.
  • Kadew: Ah, such a derpy face your design has. :P I like its simplicity, in contrast to some other designs (like mine). It's plain otherwise, but, well, it works.
  • Grs Cousin: Great idea! I admit, this idea caught me by surprise by how clever it is. I can see the Water type with the water molecule, but Fire is less obvious. Chemical reactions typically involve acids and bases and can 'burn' stuff, so there's that, I guess. I'd personally make the design more fiery, but not obviously so. Either way, great idea!
  • DHR-107: As I've said, you've got an artistic eye for drawing. :) It just takes practice and studying shapes to improve. The design is simple, but it works. Perhaps the tail or something toward the back of the whale could help the design, since it's a bit bland back there currently.
  • ilovekirby12: Ah, another weather design, this one with sun and rain. :) Great concept, all right execution. The personality of your elemental embodiments is what makes the design stand out. If anything, the sun could look brighter, as to provide more of a contrast to the rain.
  • Blue Frog: There we go, the design looks a lot more integrated now. ^_^ The design doesn't look boiling now, unfortunately, since the bubble pattern isn't spilling over elsewhere in the shapes. If that could be remedied, well, I think you've got the typing down!
  • leafflare8097: Let me warn you that birds do imply Flying as a typing. Giving it a grounded pose may avert that inference. For your design, would it be possible to mingle Fire and Water more? You've said that the design has a water head and fire tail, but, that's separate, in contrast to most pokemon having designs that have bits of each type in all of the design.
  • OU Master Caitlyn: The Slattern is unfamiliar to me, but it's a great contrast compared to sharks and other marine designs that we've seen in the thread. Actually, both of them have cool designs! You have that going for you regardless of which design you pick. I'd go with the Slattern, yeah, just for its uniqueness. XD
  • Harry.Buxton: Nice textures, colors, integration of Fire/Water as a typing, and such. :) It's good, although it could be great with a little more detail about the drawing's origins or a highlight of some sort in the design.
  • Magistrum: Ah, the homunculus markings now remind me of Groudon/Kyogre. Neat connection. Dunno if I like the lack of legs. o3o But I do prefer it to the kappa, but that's still a great design.
  • Chomz: The design indicates the typings well, although it's a bit complex for my tastes. A reminder that we still have to sprite the designs, so fins everywhere doesn't help spriters. :P I can see it done, but I'd just like to mention that.
  • EpicUmbreon29: Bacteria, hmm? :/ I admit, at first, I thought it was a swimming pool. There's a lack of depth in the drawing, so the round shape looked flat, and the squiggles in it made me think of waves. Might you add depth to the drawing so as to indicate it a a cell to others? And after that, integrate the vents into the body? Perhaps make them more like volcanoes than exhaust pipes?
  • Tomohawku: My, that's quite a creative design. :) I will have to say that you have to make the body coherent (outlined) to submit the design, though, instead of it being a turbulent swath of fire and water. Making it more coherent will probably make it less murky and more interesting. ouob
  • Chaos Wolf: The design works really well, and I enjoy that bit of humor with the soup pot! I would say to make the pot less artificial. Other than that, great idea, great design, great interpretation of Fire/Water. :)
  • Hollymon: Ah, quite an amusing design, and one that fits the typing. :P Land mine/fish makes sense for Fire/Water. I do wish it looked more like a fish, though. I can see a bomb, but the black fins, especially since they have holes in them, don't strike me as fins immediately. Cartilage streaks, perhaps, or scales around the body, may make it more fishy. In response to your comment: The waviness of the design is intended to carry the typings. XD That, and the precedence of lions being rather fiery, what with the mane and all that.
  • OldManDugan: Black cats and cauldrons work hand-in-hand when witches come to mind. :) I love the design; it stands out among other boiling-water based designs from the inclusion of cat. :P
  • Flame_Effigy: I've talked to you on IRC about the design, so I await your future edits! ouob
  • LudicrousLugia: Eh? Might you explain your concept more? I'm not sure what to say without knowing where you're trying to go with the design.
  • Harle: Mad scientist fish, oh, my goodness! :D I love its personality, and Fire and Water are evident in the design, even if the individual parts are separate in of themselves. The design just puts a smile on my face. The mourner is less interesting to me if only because the umbrella looks artificial. Granted, we have Pokemon with artificial-looking props, but the umbrella seems integral to the design instead of it being a crop. What if the umbrella were... well, not a leaf or flower, but something more natural that could act as a umbrella without indicating another typing?
  • epicparker: Cool colors. Volcano crab works well in design for Fire/Water. ouob I'm a tad confused about the mustache and off-color claw, though. Is that meant to have some relationship to fiddler crabs?

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I wanted to try another idea out. Fire hydrant dog! I like this idea because I can imagine it shooting water out its arms while being able to shoot fire out from its top. It's still a rough mock-up now so lots can be changed, if you have ideas I'd like to hear them!

Edit 1: Some comments!
Harle: I love the personality angle. I like what you've done with the betta so far but the body looks too thin. You could probably push the fire typing in the design of the fins. I can picture it using scald for sure, but not will-o-whisp. The mourner is an interesting idea but the design itself needs work, right now his shape is very rectangular and boring, plus he looks ghost-like, which you definitely should avoid.

OldManDugan: Hilarious design! The cat lover in me hates to suggest this, but it might look better as a pot-with-personality as opposed to trying to fit the cat design into it as well. Plus, most cats hate water! I like how you've done the feet and flames on the bottom and the colours are very eye catching.

D4rk3r: You could probably make this idea work, but try to stay as far away from the Solrock-type stylization as much as you can. The raindrop symbolism on the sun is unnecessary and looks a bit strange. Try experimenting with different shape and proportion combinations.

Cretacerus: I really like this! The white colouring is really interesting. I worry that you'll have a hard time convincing people of the fire typing especially without the smoke effect, maybe the markings or shape of his back vents could help with that.

Harry.Buxton: The design is nicely done, and I like the colour combo. This is maybe one of the more cliche themes you could pick but I think your interpretation is pretty original and worth pursuing.

Magistrum: Both solid designs but the colour themes and proportioning could be more interesting, I think! Think contrast? The pose of the Kappa isn't serving well to show off his design elements. The heavy use of black on the Flasks is overwhelming. The most interesting part of the Flasks is their heads in my opinion but the body's size and colouring is distracting from that.

Hollymon: I was thinking that actually those black pieces on the front could act as eyes and you could remove the "head" altogether, and just give it a mouth underneath those :)

Yilx: Gorgeous, and I love the colours. I think the silhouette would be more interesting / less squid-like / more sea-angel-like if you gave it a fuller upper body that tapered down. Push the chubby-pouty personality :I

Gun6: Much love for this! Love the steam whiskers! I think I've decided that bronze is my favourite.

Knirp: ahaha this is hilarious and clever. Not sure if people will go for it but it's really excellent.

CyzirVisheen: I really hope you keep going with this because it works really well and the way you've done the flames-as-legs and liquid-as-hair is great. The design is really interesting, balanced and appealing.

miririri: Really nice but I don't love its body shape, it could be more interesting! The colours are awesome! I'd experiment a bit with the markings too.

Precipice: Solid idea and it's looking really good so far.

Last edited:

here's an update on my entry:
Finished coloring via
Photoshop.
I made a 2 color scheme pokes. But I think they do not resemble a water type poke.
the first one looks like a
Fire/Steel.
the second one looks like a
Fire/Dark.
I need an idea to make them more
water-ish.
Any Suggestions?

So, long-story-short, I have been fine tuning the previously submitted Mantis Shrimp design in an attempt to try and make it both stand out and look like it's typings a little more (as per Quanyails and Hollymon's suggestions respectively). I won't be able to get this in as nice a resolution (through use of a scanner) until Monday, so for now, this is it:

It's supposed to be Zygarde-esque in it's stance/design, with the 'Fire + Water'-ey flowing thing being it's tail pattern as well as more of a means of justification for it's fire typing, other than it's red coloration and claws, not to mention, the lack of legs and eye stalks, which are new additions (or subtractions am I right?...) from last time by the way, being implemented so as to try and make this design as mentioned above, stand out a little more and not look so bland. Any feedback or suggestions for how to improve on this design is more than welcome.

In addition, while I will almost certainly be sticking with the Mantis Shrimp design, I wanted to throw something else out there that I've been pondering for awhile, once again, for the sake of feedback. One thing that came to mind once the typing of Fire/Water was revealed, that nobody else has extensively covered yet, was the idea of some sort of RPG-esque Mage character, masterful in the casting of Flamethrowers and Scalds. After awhile of brainstorming, and trying to carve ideas into paper, this happens to have been the result:

http://imgur.com/7xnkEOT

Ended up going with a kind of Hawlucha-esque (been using that suffix alot, dang.) design, with most of the Fire & Water elements being in his cape, and more importantly, his magic orbitars, these being where such attacks as Scald and Flamethrower would come from. I like to call him... El Dumbeldor! (P.S. For those of you unable to recognize a semi-sarcastically joking comment over the internet, that was not a serious name suggestion. *sigh*)

So that's all as of the current date, March 29th (Edit: 31st) (see what I did there?). File quality to be changed soon, any feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While I was thinking of a new concept, I went a fairly generic route and made a literal "Steamed Lobster".
http://puu.sh/7P01p.png
The idea was loosely based on pistol shrimp. The frill around its neck is supposed to be a flaming collar.

If there's anything to be said about the line-work, I would love to hear it. ^^;

Last edited by a moderator:

WIP of my "final" submission. What can I say other than I love Air Balloons and Jellyfish. They've always sort of reminded me of one another, and with this typing there's no way I could pass up this angle. The Air Balloon pokemon are, of course, very dangerous, luring people into their baskets when the travel outside of the sea, then incinerating them and devouring their cooked remains. Some people say that these Pokemon are what inspired primitive Humans to cook their food with fire. When tamed these Pokemon are know to provide romantically scenic tours of the mountain range skies.

I hope you enjoy! I'm trying a lot of things with this that I honestly haven't done before, but it's great. I haven't felt this motivated to draw in some time~

Last edited:
So, going off what Quanyails Said, I tried making the pot a bit more archaic. Going with a cracked clay pot now. As for Colors, I tested the design with a Brown torso color instead of the aqua one. Kinda split honestly, for the brown one, he's now firmly cemented in one side of the color wheel, but he reads a bit less like a water type. Whereas the aqua one is still pretty clearly a water type, but may be splitting across the color wheel poorly. I'll be posting the two at the end of the post, would like to offer my two cents regarding other some users projects. Additionally, This will be my post for updating if say I want to add supporting material for now.

OU Master Caitlyn - I'd suggest you use the one you stated is Fire/Steel like, Adding saturation to the silver and making it a tad more like a blue. the scales may also be contributing to it, perhaps see what they look like without it.
Quanyails - I appreciate the Feedback regarding my design. Definitely digging your Lion Dance setup. Has a nice Storybook feel to it.
Mos-Quitoxe - Great seeing a Saint Bernard finally getting it's due in pokemon. The Whisps in the clouds remind me of the Flying Nimbus a bit though.
OldManDugan - Brilliant Idea, Got me Laughing hard. Can Definitely see it Using Scald, or Glare as it were.

User Edit_1:And amended, Ushi Oni now has a pure blue palette and the three are all one image.
User Edit_2:Placed the large one rather than the resized one I'd set up, amended.

Last edited:
Chaos Wolf I could see either the brown or the blue working. If you're worried about the brown one making him look less like a water-type, remember we have Kingler and Crawdaunt as water-types with similar colours.

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SWIP

I like steampunk styles so I drew some sort of boiler type pokemon with cute oven mitts and goggles n_n

Will finish this with smoother lineart and more definition on powerpoint sometime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)