1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 1 - Concept Poll 2

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by Rising_Dusk, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Moving onto the second poll of the concept stage, we must now narrow the slate down 1 entry at a time until only the winner remains. The lowest scoring concept in this poll will be removed and the top 3 will move on. I have left in my reasons for slating these concepts so that you can see what I see in them before casting your vote.

This poll will be a bold vote, which means that you vote for only one of the submissions. The details of bold voting can be found here. A typical vote might look like the following:
    Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you warned. If you feel compelled to say something in your own vote, you may still do so, but don't try to incite a discussion. Keep discussion to #cap.

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

When voting, use only the name of the author! The list of possible votes include:
    Korski
    Fire Blast
    bugmaniacbob
    Flarephoenix332
    Below are the concepts to be voted on, in the order they ranked in the last poll. Beneath the concept is a brief blurb where I explain my reasoning for picking it for the slate.
    Sketch Artist is a very bold concept, and through that has been a very heated focus of debate in IRC. It allows us to discuss so many unique things, such as what we consider the best move for what styles and how best to keep something with singular access to any move in the game in check. However, my favorite part of this concept is how it forces the CAP process to react to it, and creates a unique experience unlike that which we've ever seen in any past CAP. Lastly, before anyone has any concerns about this, I want to emphasize that Sketch Artist can be implemented in both PO and Pokemon Showdown. Do not let your vote be concerned with its implementation, as it is possible and doable.
    Theoretical Threat is an interesting concept that snuck into the last page of concept submissions. I think the discussion of a theoretical threat like Electivire has a lot of merit to it, and that it could change a lot about the metagame with just its mere presence. It's also very relevant to BW, as team preview shows it off to the enemy and immediately makes them think twice about using the moves that the theoretical threat takes advantage of. The discussions stemming from this would be exquisite, and I particularly look forward to the possibility of discussing which abilities and styles of play best suit such a theoretical threat.
    I have discussed Psychological Warfare with a lot of people, and I am convinced that there is a lot here to be explored. Not just messing with people, but making the player using the CAP feel more comfortable and less stressed. The idea of stress itself is a very interesting battle phenomenon, one that deserves to be researched in greater detail. I think there are a good number of intriguing discussions to be had through this concept on the nature of breaching the third wall between player and Pokemon, and that to me makes this a good choice.
    This concept has always interested me. Hail is something that needs to be explored to some extent at some point, and there are so many discussions just itching to be had about what could be done to make it a legitimate and non-gimmick strategy. Also, with the recent banning of Excadrill and Thundurus, the other weathers have been ever so slightly weakened and perhaps now is the right time to check out hail. Keeping this in mind throughout the project would be very interesting, and makes this a solid choice for the concept.

Now that I've presented the slate for this poll, hop to voting!
    [​IMG]
    tl;dr: Quack! (Vote!)
  2. Flarephoenix332

Flarephoenix332

Flarephoenix332

Quack*
    *I mean--any top threat is a theoretical and practical threat and can limit your options until you rid yourself of that threat. We'll probably just make another Excadrill or something of the sort.
  3. ryik7

ryik7

Korski

Let it be known that concern of broken-ness shouldn't impact the concept's validity. It's our job to stop that, so if it becomes broken it won't be because of the concept; it will be because of us.

EDIT:aw I wasn't first lol, then again, I don't really care
  4. srk1214

srk1214 is a giant squid of anger
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Fire Blast

Reasons already explained in first posting of mine, and I talk about it on IRC a bit.
  5. Imanalt

Imanalt WHY BUNNELBY DO HAVE FUR?
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Flarephoenix332
  6. Romeert

Romeert

7. Korski

Korski Distilled, 80 proof
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributor

Korski

This should be close.
  8. Doran Dragon

Doran Dragon

9. ToastTyrant13

ToastTyrant13

Flarephoenix332

it's more of a now or never thing. Since Thundurus and Excadrill were both banned, this is the best time to work with hail and experiment with it. If not now, then things are going to change in the game that might completely change the ways we look at it.
  10. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Korski

As before, Sketch is probably the most exciting idea I've ever read for a concept. I'm not scared of it; as a matter of fact, I'm enthralled by the idea of a real challenge. I don't want a safe CAP, I want the one I lead to be ballsy and really push the envelope. I also think that the process it would give us would be unique beyond any other, and I really am excited for it and hope it pulls through.
  11. SgtWoodsy

SgtWoodsy

FlarePhoenix332
  12. capefeather

capefeather YOU CAN'T STOP ROB
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Korski

This was one of the first image results I got when I searched "sketch artist":

[​IMG]
  13. reachzero

reachzero the pastor of disaster
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

14. Feroes

Feroes

Flarephoenix332
  15. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Fire Blast

Actually, on second thought, I am sticking with Blast. Hail would be awesome too though.

Oh, and because I promised:

Quack!
  16. Birkal

Birkal Caw.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

FlarePhoenix332

It is time. The weather metagame is incredibly centralized, and boosting Hail could potentially decrease that factor. It would teach us plenty about today's metagame while providing a better overall understanding of the role weather plays in BW OU.

Best of luck to all the contestants!
  17. ShyGuy1221

ShyGuy1221

Flarephoenix332

All Hail Hail!
  18. Bromishi

Bromishi

Fire Blast

I honestly don't think that it's possible for a group design thing to not come out completely overpowered, especially when given access to any single move in the game.
  19. Adamnsm1

Adamnsm1

Fire Blast
  20. Fire Blast

Fire Blast

Fire Blast

I really don't know what we are learning from hail. We can make an Excadrill of the hail and learn that good hail sweepers are good. Maybe I'm missing something about the concept, but hail just seems like a Sandstorm
    counterpart. We know enough about Sandstorm.
  21. Darkamber8828

Darkamber8828

Korski

+1 agree with fire blast. Not to mention, results will be biased since everyone will use Hail and the CAP, just because it's shiny and new.
  22. Silver Flame

Silver Flame

23. ASteelersMidget

ASteelersMidget

Flarephoenix332
  24. steelguttey

steelguttey

bugmaniacbob
  25. SJCrew

SJCrew Believer, going on a journey...
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I already figured the sketch thing was possible even if you couldn't program new abilities in. All Sketch moves would be listed as 'Breeding' and you couldn't chose more than one per set without them being illegal. That said...

Korski

Boosting Hail just for the sake of it won't help much imo. Abomasnow still has to be the one to set it up and the other weather starters have a lot of advantages over him in OU. Even Kyurem couldn't change Hail's obscurity this gen. On the other hand, I'm about as excited as Rising Dusk to see what we can do with Sketch Artist, to the point of having jot down some ideas already.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)