CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 1 - Concept Poll 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
korski

I just don't see what we can learn from fire blast's, whereas this should at least be fun to make :)

Korski

I felt that most concepts had similar goals, mainly attempting to make something unpredictable or something that was hard to counter. However I can't help but feel that Theoretical Threat is something that is widely available in the meta-game. We could just as easily investigate any standard OU Pokemon, say Skarmory, and their impact on the meta as a new CAP 'mon. When you see a Pokemon like Skarmory you won't be using RP on Terrakion until it is dead. You'd much more likely use SD or Close Combat and that's what the theoretical threat forces you do which may or may not be taken advantage of. Almost every OU Pokemon provides a so called 'theoretical threat' in some way or other because of either their ability to counter one of your team or by sheer sweeping potential that you are afraid to sac' your designated counter and you play much more carefully.

Sketch Artist on the other hand, let's us investigate everything that Theoretical Threat does and more. I think it has a greater potential to teach us exactly how a Pokemon fulfills its job because we'll have to meticulously examine every move in its movepool and determine its potential impact because access to Sketch amplifies any potential advantages. It also fulfills the roles of a theoretical threat or psychological warfare somewhat because you don't know what its trump card move could be so you are left guessing what its role is.

At the end of the day, there's nothing stopping Theoretical Threat learning Sketch as a way to fulfill its potential and there's no reason why the Sketch Artist could not also be a Theoretical Threat. The CAP is what the community decides to make it and that's what I'm really looking forward to!

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Korski

(I will say, though, that Fire Blast's concept is awesome as well and I'll be glad with either one. Although finding that one theme to focus on when creating the Pokemon might be troublesome, given that we already have many good examples of Theoretical threats (Xatu, Quagsire, DW Ditto (in the future),etc. ).

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wow this is close.

Fire Blast

I love mindgames. Sketch would be nice, but I fear it will end up as thee fatal flaw concept a bit, with people trying to make up for that one sketch somehow, by making it weaker in the other areas, would be interesting to see if it could be balanced though.

Fire Blast

In all honesty, I don't quite get what people are saying about "Fire Blast's is already in the Metagame". So? Look at Tomohawk - Momentum was already in the Metagame. It's just another factor to investigate; not make a random hard-hitter that everyone knows; It doesn't even necessarily need to be an attacker, it just shows what and how people adjust their teams for when they see it. And, honestly, yes, neither of them are exceptional, but hey, a lot of them aren't.

And Sketch Artist, IMO, just looks like something with one new move. If it were explained better it might be more appealing. And lol @ the guy who said it'll just always run Spore, then voted for it.

Fire Blast

I'd say that we would learn more from theoretical threats than that of a sketcher. Using psychological warfare shows that we play in a complex metagame, enough to deeply think about our next moves.

Then again, what do I know. I'm just a lurker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)