CAP 14 CAP 3 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a cute Pokemon design. Looking into names, a few things i;m considering.

Beacone (Beacon and Cone)
Lavish (Lava and Squish/Squishy)
or
Conchious (Conch and Poisonous)

Feedback/Feedforward anyone?

Escarglow is definitely a good name, but my main concern is whether the whole "escargot" reference is already overdone; both Magcargo and Escavalier draw inspiration from it. I'm not suggesting that the entry be ignored or anything, I just wonder if others feel similarly about too much escargot on our plates.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Master of the Six Kings, my favorite of yours is Conchious, simply because the word "conscience" is hidden away in there, haha. I don't know if you intended for that pun to exist, but I personally really like it. Perhaps that could even tie into some overarching theme of "be conchious of protecting marine life" or something.

Of the names that I see people liking, Escarglow actually makes me a little nervous. For me, it's a bit too close to Escavalier and Magcargo. I think there are some other name ideas for snails that haven't been used, so I think relying on "escargot" is a bit unnecessary. But that's just my opinion; it seems like a lot of people really like that name.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the post above me, haha.

Final Submission:

Napalmati

Everybody else is digging out their thesaurus and skimming wikipedia for this, so I might as well too.

For my try, I have the name Napalmati (Nay - palm - a - tee), a combination of the word Napalm and Pomatia from the edible snail Helix Pomatia. Personally, I found it fun to say, but what do you guys think of it? My biggest worry is that the basis for it is a bit too out there, perhaps overdoing it.

I'm thinking about Hippigrip or Trippigrip for possible submissions. "Hippy" and "Trippy" reference the lava lamp part. "-Grip" seemed like a good fit for the end of the names because it rhymes with the first part and mollusks can be sticky and CAP3's feet look kinda prehensile.

Feedback is appreciated. I also love the name Mollux from DJD.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Meh.

Cockle

Portmanteau of "Cochlea" (as in snail) and a generally pleasant-sounding ending

Also brings to mind the idea of Cockle shells, though those are bivalves so not *quite* the same thing

And before anybody brings it up, yes I am well aware that it sounds like "shuckle". I'm working on changing it to differentiate the two. Just posting here so the idea sticks.

EDIT: Also note that for cutemons, 2-syllable names are typically the best ones

EDIT2: Alternatives: Cochle, Cockie, Cochie, Cochlus, Cocho, Cochee etc.

Where all "ch" sounds are pronounced as "k"

I have two ideas right now, Conevect and Slipster. The first is a combination of cone for cone snail and convection, a process of heat transfer. The second is slip, 'cause I imagine a snail would be slippery, and hipster, because the Pokemon is a lava lamp. I like both, so I need help deciding which.

Why keep things waiting?? This can be my
Final Submission:

Escarglow

Escargot+Glow
(Snail) (Lava Lamp)

Okay, so I know it may sound to many people a lot like Macargo or Escavalier however it differentiates itself in many ways. Macargo just has the "-cargo" part of the Escargot and Escavalier only has the "Esc-" part of the it. Escarglow on the other hand is much more like the word "Escargot" adding only an "L" sound but producing a cool portmanteau of two fitting words for Mos' design. Also for those concerned for it sounding like Macargo, the designs are pretty close (fire typed snails), so if the names are I don't think that's much of an issue.

As for the name itself I simply combined Escargot (the French word for snail) and Glow (something a lava lamp would do) to make a simple sounding name!
--------------------------------------

I really like some other names (those of which will be emphasized on later) so keep up the good work everyone!!!

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Of the names that I see people liking, Escarglow actually makes me a little nervous. For me, it's a bit too close to Escavalier and Magcargo. I think there are some other name ideas for snails that haven't been used, so I think relying on "escargot" is a bit unnecessary. But that's just my opinion; it seems like a lot of people really like that name.
The pun on this one is way better than either of those names, too.

how is...

volcone?

volcano+cone

another idea might be something added with "conch"

Edit: i think mollusc-related names fit well because the designis so cute. howabout Mollamp or Mollava

or SollaMolla after solar and mollusc. lol

Sollusc
could be viable as solar+ mollusc with drought as its ability.

Also Vollusc...

I've been following this CAP the entire time, and I finally decided to just register so I can put in my two cents! Anyways, I was seeing quite a few good submissions, and decided to attempt to combine a few into one! And what I got was...

Esconchamp

Escargo + Conch + Lamp

The "Es" seems a little tacked on, could be dropped so it's just Conchamp. Any opinions?

Bull of Heaven

Plenty of great names here, but Luminusk and Escarglow are my favourites so far. I don't think I'll be coming up with anything better than those.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Escarglow and Fryanide are by far my favorites thus far, followed closely by Conchious.

Just throwing this out there: anything with snail or lamp probably isn't going to cut it.

Snoxious - A very simple combo of "snail" and "noxious". I think it sounds cute, and this is a cute Pokemon.

However, Escarglow is pretty damned good.

Actually, another I quite like is Proboscorch (pro-bosk-orch), because aside from the lamp CAP3's proboscis is its most outstanding feature.

Final submission

Chalumaca

chama = Portug. for flame
lumaca = Ital. for snail

Alternative etymology:
chamaca = Span. for little girl <- because it looks so cute
lumen = Lat. for light

Pronunciation:
sha-loo-mucka

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
FINAL SUBMISSION

Causticone
Caustic (adjective - capable of burning, corroding, or destroying living tissue.) + Cone (Snail)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)