1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 2 - Typing Poll 2

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by bugmaniacbob, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugmaniacbob

bugmaniacbob Floats like a Butterfree, stings like a Metapod
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

It's a Bug's life. Making this quickly as I need to leave soon and I have some comments to make.

----

This will be a single bold vote. Make sure that you bold your vote and nothing else! A typical vote might look like the following:
    Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you may be warned. You are allowed to say whatever you like in relation to your vote at the bottom of your post, but please do not look to begin a discussion. Keep those comments to #cap on IRC.

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

When voting, use only the typing! The list of possible votes include:

Bug/Dragon
    Bug/Psychic

Make sure there are no spaces between your slashes for dual types.

Below is CAP 4 so far:

2. bugmaniacbob

bugmaniacbob Floats like a Butterfree, stings like a Metapod
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Gentlemen, we have come to the final stage. Well, the final stage of the second stage, anyway. If the Typing and Concept polls are to be any indication, we are to be seeing some very close results in this CAP. This either means we're hopelessly divided, or we've really begun to dig deep into this concept. I am going to go against my gut and hope it's the latter – I suppose that, being Topic Leader, I should really save the bitter cynicism for when someone else is in the hot seat.

Either that or half of us really want our first Psychic CAP and the other half love Dragons. But I'll leave the voting to your best judgement.

And on that note:

Bug/Psychic

Though I would be perfectly happy if they were the other way around, even so. Before we begin, I'd just like to put forward a few notes that, if you are unsure how to vote, might help you in choosing between the two. I must make it absolutely clear that these typings could not be any more different – and the choice that is made here will ultimately decide how the rest of the Project pans out, and the direction we take from here on. Thus I would ask you to please read the following; this is not about our Final Product, but about what each of these typings means to the Process required to get there.

Bug/Psychic is a quite easy, risky typing. Under standard conditions it has trouble switching in and, depending on its stats and ability, is likely to have a hard time dealing any significant damage without a firm resolve on the part of its user. Hence it is easy to see the direction we go – Bug/Psychic is largely focused on the Risk of "how can I use this Pokemon to the fullest effect in this situation?". Bug/Psychic is a unique typing, and a powerful offensive combination – hence the Risk is almost entirely dependent upon the choices the user makes in battle. This is the direct, straightforward, and understandable choice.

Bug/Dragon, on the other hand, is more complicated. The choice is less to do with the choices made by the user in battle, and more to do with the choices made outside the battle – namely, why would I use this particular Dragon over any other? Likely as not, the wallbreaker job will be done much better by any more powerful, faster, bulkier, or less hazard-weak Dragon. Thus here the onus, for us, is on two things – firstly, to build a Dragon that incorporates Risk, and second, one that is not outclassed by its peers. This makes it a more challenging typing than the above, and thus perhaps more worth the Process. But at the same time, the risk of failure is higher. This, then, is building something that does not yet exist in OU, and as far as I can tell, never has.

Please bear this in mind while voting. Thank you.

And here is a summary for those of you too lazy to read the above (open)

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]

Go forth and vote.
  3. Birkal

Birkal Caw.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Bug/Dragon

I firmly believe that this will lead to the most interesting and successful fulfillment of this concept. This is gonna be a close poll; I can feel it.

Bzzrwar
  4. pekka1995

pekka1995

bug/psychic
    I do feel like this would be a great typing for CAP4 and if we get this one it will sure be a challenge with the rest of the creating process which I feel is good ^^
  5. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

6. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Bug/Psychic
    If we want a to study risky Pokemon, we need a risky type. I really feel this is by far the better of the two for this concept.
  7. CiteAndPrune

CiteAndPrune

8. GGengar

GGengar

Although I haven't really been active in this forum, I've been lurking this project for awhile and I believe Bug/Psychic is the superior choice between the two.

Bug/Psychic, in my opinion, allows for the CAP to have key resists (Fighting, Ground, etc.) and key weaknesses (Fire, Rock) that will make players utilize the risk to the fullest. my fear with Bug/Dragon is that its going to turn into a generic wall breaker, where as Bug/Psychic could make a really interesting Offensive Pivot and I think has more options in general.

Good Luck with the project!
  9. JGSabino

JGSabino

Bug/Dragon

It is possible to make a risky Pokémon with a good type.
  10. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

11. vonFiedler

vonFiedler Visualize It
    is a Community Contributor

Bug/Psychic
  12. srk1214

srk1214 is a giant squid of anger
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Bug/Psychic
  13. ChrisTehAwesome

ChrisTehAwesome

14. erisia

erisia (macho) brace yourselves
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Bug/Psychic
  15. phaerix

phaerix

Bug/Psychic
  16. shartruce2

shartruce2 THINK POSITIVE
    is a Tiering Contributor

Bug/Psychic
  17. Demist

Demist

Bug/Psychic
  18. NonnieGrey

NonnieGrey

Bug/Psychic

Oof, this was a tough call. I want to stick to my guns and go Dragon, but there are a lot of compelling arguments toward Psychic.
  19. Korski

Korski Distilled, 80 proof
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributor

Bug/Dragon

I liked that picture better. Besides, what's riskier than being the CAP Dragon in OU?
  20. Tira_ShadowHeart

Tira_ShadowHeart

21. Base Speed

Base Speed What a load of BS!
    is a Pre-Contributor

22. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf

23. UllarWarlord

UllarWarlord

24. As far as I'm concerned Bug/Psychic is the clear choice. We don't stand to learn nearly as much from Bug/Dragon, because the "risky" moves that have been used as justification to get it this far are moves that the standard OU metagame has already thoroughly explored. Selecting Bug/Dragon would be the low-risk approach to this concept, and Bug/Psychic gives us so much more opportunity to learn new things.
  25. DarkSlay

DarkSlay This Wouldn't Have Happened In Romney's Smogon
    is a CAP Contributor

Bug/Psychic
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)