CAP 16 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how Hecklermon Pursues failures:

I really dig your Serpent, Dracoyoshi8. The leaves over the eyes is the touch that sells it to me. They function to both obscure a clear view of its eyes, making it seem more untrustworthy, as well as giving it a distinctly 'pagan' look (Bacchus in particular). I'm not convinced about either the green or brown though, and for such a fantastical (but historical!) snake, I think you could afford to try more whimsical, even deceitfully attractive, palettes.

edit: oh cool! My faves are Green w/envy, Gold standard, and Fall of Troy (special mention to Menhissing for the pun). Thanks for exploring those options.

I was a fan of your Vampire, Yilx, but I agree with the stats favoring the Cactus. She's quite dynamic and appealing, and your colours blow it up and makes it seem as if it exists on the brink of perpetual dusk. I'd love to see you pursue the yakuza/pineapple though (I have a feeling I'd prefer it over the other two even), but can you please pretty please try a closed-eye/squinting variant?? I think that'd give it more of a tough guy unapproachable boss-look.

Speaking of tough guys, Whips has that and then some. I like the concept and his general build, but I think you could justify a more violent colour scheme, Doug. The white kind of pulls it in the opposite direction of the kind of mood it establishes with its appearance, and though I guess some other options, like red or purple, might be expected, sometimes you just gotta make the archetype work for you. In any case, I'd have loved to work with this guy as a fighter.

This kind of reminds me of your previous concept, but that's not a bad thing;
That's because...

Is it a ram? Cool. Feels kinda christmasy. I would recommend making the green a little darker, cause it looks like an unhappy child whose mom made him wear an embarrassing Christmas sweater. But I like it.

Excellent work Calad! The green fur/leaves look a bit haphazardly placed though. It's hard to determine the perspective of them relative to the arms.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

After a bit of thinking I've decided to base it more off a banchou rather than a Yazkuza boss. A "daunting dark hero" type of character who upholds a strong sense of honor and justice who protects the weak seemed to fit more. I figured it'd be a good throwback to the concept of an "equalizer" too.

also it's a pineapple because they're tough and harvest lol

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
oh man, I'm digging that pineapple, as well as doug's executioner and Cartoons' grumps.

I decided to scrap the old man hermit and instead used his basis as the form for another pokemon. I present to ye, the Wandering Woodland Oni:

This lil guy carries two gourds around, one filled with soil that it uses to plant new earth, and one filled with all the trees, fruits, and berries it has harvested for its own use.

It is solitary and keeps to itself, but remember, it's a demon and will attack with the slightest provocation, especially if one trespasses in his woods.

Harle – I really appreciated the feedback, and actually was pondering a de-robed version too. I'm just a bit slow at getting things digitized… but here's what I had thought of at that point:

Quanyalis – Thanks!
Cartoons! – Statler/Waldorf & sour fruit is an amazing rendition of dark/grass. Great concept!
Paintseagull – I believe you are very right. Thanks for the comment! I believe I need to learn bulk up for my drawings. I've got a more hulking version of my orchid, but I'm not sure of the result. He's a little out of my comfort zone (which Is probably a good thing as most of my drawings fall to the frailer side).

My attempt at a bulkier silhouette. (?)
I think it's smiling.

Thanks all!
I wish I had a favorite to root for – but there are so many incredible ideas!

Edited: to bring the bulky orchid out of its hide tags.
Thanks Painteseagull!

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I wish I had a favorite to root for – but there are so many incredible ideas!
I see what you did there.

KoA I like this version much better, although the gourd its sitting on seems off. It may look better carrying it, maybe akin to how Timburr carries its 2x4.

edit: did some more supporting art

Using Glare/Leer/Mean Look/Optic Blast/idk

KoA

is an Artist
They're both intended to be carried on his back, even used for attacks and defense, I just figured showing him sitting on one would just be a cool pose honestly lol.

I'll try to have supplemental art done when I get off work tonight.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
KoA he would greatly benefit from some more cartoonized proportions. Right now he is just plain human proportioned. With the stats limits looking the way they are you can really go nuts with bulking and exaggerating

edit (sorry was at work when i wrote this and couldn't comment on others):

Calad: This is excellent, though I think his upper-body green could stand to be darker than the bottom shade, and maybe the berries could be a more decadent dark cherry red or blackberry purple. Unfortunately the stats are going to give you some trouble I think. Would it be much trouble to bulk him up?

Yilx: Very awesome. I love him!

flexi: great job making him bulkier, I think it works really well!! Very excellent design

invalio: This kind of a simple design with a great silhouette could work really well! Maybe you could add some markings or a darker (but still tree-like) colouring to his body for some added interest. I also think he would benefit from a more dynamic and forward facing pose. Also make sure you read the rules for final submission when preparing your final piece, as this particular image would be disqualified.

Cheeno: cute and nicely designed, but I think he needs to be bulkier!

This is how Hecklermon Pursues failures:
~snip~
Just wanted to throw in my support for Statler and Waldorf. Besides being hilarious, the rotten tomato-esque theme is spot on.

I think that your grittier looking pokemon will struggle to get widespread support as easily as others, but damn if it isn't inspired. Making it nicer on the eyes would sort of defeat the purpose, though. It really gets across the mean-spirited nature associated with dark types without relying on prominent black colouring, which is great - make sure to preserve that.

As an aside on your flavour description, I think hecklermon would be met with open arms anywhere a vitalimar lives!

After a bit of thinking I've decided to base it more off a banchou rather than a Yazkuza boss. A "daunting dark hero" type of character who upholds a strong sense of honor and justice who protects the weak seemed to fit more. I figured it'd be a good throwback to the concept of an "equalizer" too.

also it's a pineapple because they're tough and harvest lol
if the CAP gets Thick Fat as a secondary ability, I don't think OI'll be able to vote for this artwork fast enough!

oh man, I'm digging that pineapple, as well as doug's executioner and Cartoons' grumps.

I decided to scrap the old man hermit and instead used his basis as the form for another pokemon. I present to ye, the Wandering Woodland Oni:

This lil guy carries two gourds around, one filled with soil that it uses to plant new earth, and one filled with all the trees, fruits, and berries it has harvested for its own use.

It is solitary and keeps to itself, but remember, it's a demon and will attack with the slightest provocation, especially if one trespasses in his woods.
I like the Oni theme here; it helps to show that the pokemon IS indeed part dark rather than part fighting, or whatever other type it may have been

Here's a cleaned up, coloured entry from me:

As far as votes go, I think Dracoyoshi's snake and Yilx's Pineapplemon are my favourites. However, since CAP 5 is looking to be a special tank, I think Yilx's creation is probably going to get the nod from me.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Note: A list of all the current submissions can be found here in the third post of this very thread. Thanks to Quanyails for volunteering to keep this updated! This link is also posted in the OP of this thread, so you can find your favorite pieces of art with ease.

Just preliminary sketches.

Main concept was a mushroom phantom. Top drawing is a possible pre-evo design [Mushling or Shroomling]. Below is a male oriented Dark/Grass type design concept Spectore (Specter/Spore).

I'll digitalize them later when I get home from work.

Cartoons!' design is amazing and will definitely get my vote. I've loved everything you've done for past CAPs.

Only change I would make is to make the leaves a bit longer, even if it throws with its mouth(s) it might be less confusing to make it seem like it has some kind of useful appendage.

Rotting fruit is something that hasn't been done before and fits Grass/Dark perfectly.

the flexistentialist, I actually like the robeless one better, though it may be a little too busy. Still, go with what you think is best, 'cause I like the design either way.

After seeing the spread discussion, I believe I'm going to go with my more hulking version of the orchid, if that's okay. He's now out of his show/hide code in my earlier post.

I also have a couple of supporting pieces - incredibly rough as they are – just to show how I thought certain moves or rivalries might look.
As always, thanks for any and all comments (can't say how much they've helped me along).

Birkal/Quanyalis– thanks so much for the link!
Birkal, Cartoons!, DougJustDoug, Dracoyoshi8, Harle, KoA, Magistrum, Mos-Quitoxe, Paintseagull, Quanyalis and Yilx – brilliant work all around. I think CAP5 would be lucky to have any of your designs!

Thanks again!

"Hecklermon"
(Rough sketch)
http://ivnbvn.com/images/rotomato.png

So here we have 'Hecklermon', where every attack is a critical hit!

These guys tend to wander until they find a healthy community of either people or Pokemon and will then spend the rest of their lives living on the outskirts pelting others with their rotten fruit.

In societies Hecklermon 'adopt', social harmony will either collapse from the stress and stench caused by these rotters, or their bonds will be strengthened as the members band together to rid themselves of these pests.

Having many of these Pokemon band together is a known historical cause of crop failures, making them more than mere annoyances if allowed to thrive.

The life cycle of a fruit head is relatively short. A head will thrive and heckle for just a few months before internal putrification causes the head to drop into its 'pouch' ensuring a constant supply of ammunition. A new head will grow in its place quickly, starting off generally good-natured, before being poisoned in demeanor by its other head.
Now, I'm not an artist by any means, nor have I dabbled in the Art Threads at all on Smogon (I'm more of a writer!), but I just have to say something.

I love love love this design. The way the heads look like the characters from Muppets, the elaborate backstory, even relating it to your last drawing...all just impressive.

But don't get me wrong, the other designs are great too.

The Garden of Eden Snake I keep seeing is pretty awesome. I love the Grass/Dark typing's relevance to it, and the subtle gender difference that actually does make all the difference. Just awesome. :D

Also, the Cthulu monster - I like both variants, bulky and slender. The art style is quite enjoyable, as well.

Keep up the great work, everybody! :)

Here is the clean version (without color) : Phantom/Mushroom Pokemon

The design was influenced by future moves the CAP 5 project may have. The mushroom design was that it can learn the move Spore. The leaf scarf design is there so it may be able to learn Leaf Blade and other "leaf" related moves. To an extent, the scarves may be used for Rapid Spin. It may also learn "Camouflage" due to the mushroom's ability to change color.

The stature and size of my design concept was also based on the given CAP 5 stats. If the CAP 5 stats have a speed stat below 80 benchmark, the mushroom cap can be enlarged in size which slows its movement. If the speed stat is around 80+, the normal size will apply allowing it to have flowing and fast movement like a ninja/phantom. The mushroom cap is also a shield source for incoming special attacks. Being thin, it is vulnerable to physical attacks. The Leaf Scarf empowers his physical prowess on moves like Leaf Blade, Night Slash and X Scissor. Phantom like stature empowers his physical dark moves like Pursuit and Shadow Sneak.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
That's pretty cool cheeno, but is that a zipper on its chest?

also, rather than focus on applesnake's special defensive potential, I decided to focus on its physical defensive lack thereof, much to his imminent pain

idk why conkeldurr doesn't get steamroller but golem does

That's pretty cool cheeno, but is that a zipper on its chest?
It's a mushroom stalk detail. Haha. I placed it there so that it looks like it is wearing a jacket [influenced by the dark typing].

I'm having so much fun with the color schemes. haha. I'm gonna post the color options later.

KoA

is an Artist
I eagerly await some color choices.

In the meantime, I've toyed with the proportions on mr oni, and made him look bulkier as well as made him look more Pokemon-ey.

Colored Version. Base colors on.

I want it to be beyond the colors of the dark type stereo type. It was supposed to have a darker skin and black/purple mushroom but it looks more of a ghost type than grass. Hence, I emphasized its grass typing colors to be more appropriate for the CAP 5 theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)