CAP 16 CAP 5 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noobiess: I prefer (and I think the majority of people prefer) keeping the normal sprite as the golden apple. Also I think that the red apple should be chosen for the shiny/gender difference/whatever.

Noobiess: I prefer (and I think the majority of people prefer) keeping the normal sprite as the golden apple. Also I think that the red apple should be chosen for the shiny/gender difference/whatever.
I agree. I don't really like the green apple.

I agree. I don't really like the green apple.
thirded...ed. the red apple looks very seductive and delicious, and goes well with the flavour (haha) provided in the form of the legends upon which malaconda is based.

that, and red would probably just look better overall.

still, that's an amazing sprite, especially since you fixed the grin; definitely one of my favourites.

I would also have to agree, the red apple looks much more intimidating then the gree. Red is a very vibrant color and hard to miss, it catches the viewers eye, while green just kinda goes along with the color scheme saying nothing about the Pokemon itself. Red is also the color of desire, which goes along with the theme. Green is the color of envy though, and the serpent from the bible story is envious of Adam and Eve (As far as I remember) so I guess it kinda works. Maybe you could contribute all three apple colors in some way?

As far as the color of the apple goes, Noobiess could really go either way and still have a compelling flavor justification. Red is the color of lust, green is the color of envy, and golden apples were famously used by Eris, the Greek goddess of discord, to sow chaos and confusion amongst her fellow gods. Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Apples

Since each kind of apple has good flavor (pun DEFINITELY intended), I guess what it really comes down to is which one looks better on the sprite. Personally, I would pick the red apple. It stands out the most when set against Malaconda's yellow/brown/green color scheme, which makes sense, since Mal is using the apple to distract his enemies. Save the golden apple for the shiny sprite; that would look fantastic. As for the gender difference, why not keep the apple color the same and try giving the male snake longer leaves on his head?

Oh, and in case this incredibly long analysis of a relatively trivial design aspect didn't give it away: Noobiess' sprite is my favorite. But the others look fantastic too. Great job, everyone!

Wow never thought that choosing the color of the apple would be so difficult.
But here is another attempt.

I like the fact the apple changes color with the gender so I wanted to keep that.
So gold for the male, red for the female and the shinies are green and green/yellow.

Bull of Heaven

I've always liked the duality of a tempting-looking red apple and menacing-looking red eyes on an otherwise not-red design. It would be a shame if the sprites left this out.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That color scheme works much better noobiess, man am I gonna have a tough time voting!

I like the fact the apple changes color with the gender so I wanted to keep that.
So gold for the male, red for the female and the shinies are green and green/yellow.
Fair enough. I'm definitely using the female non-shiny one, though, because that red looks awesome.

LOVE
the red looks great; incorporating all of the colours into some form of the sprite was an awesome addition, too. fantastic work~

godit'sgonnaberidiculouslyhardtovote

So I regret to say I won't be finishing my sprite submission. I had LASIK surgery in February. The last time I worked on my sprite it really screwed with my eyes staring at a computer for a few hours. They were irritated and dialated for three days afterward. So... Yeah. :(

I had fun anyway. Good luck to everyone!

So I have two working backsprites for my Malaconda submission. One has the tail slightly higer ou than the other, but looks less awkward in my opinion. Which one looks better to you guys?

Also, I haven't implemented this yet, but I was thinking of using fig leaves for the laurel of the female as a gender difference. Thoughts?

blitzlefan

shake it off!

noobiess, your sprites are just beautiful. I love the color and the general everything omfg. It's going to be a very tough vote, but this one is undoubtedly one of my favorites! :)

@Scorpio,
I think the first one (the one on the left) looks a little bit more natural. The backsprite seems really bare, so you may want to consider adding leaves or spikes on the body if you haven't already done so. The sprites also seem a bit two-dimensional, but that could just be the shading / need for some more edits, or maybe my eyes are just really tired.

Fig leaves do seem cool; they sort of tie in with the whole Adam and Eve thing.

@blitzlefan: Yeah, it's supposed to be bare right now so I can show people the pose. Also, I haven't done much shading on the backsprite yet for the same reason (the current shading is actually the same as the frontsprite, which is probably why it looks wierd). Now that I've basically decided on the backsprite pose, I'm going to start shading and detailing.

So I regret to say I won't be finishing my sprite submission. I had LASIK surgery in February. The last time I worked on my sprite it really screwed with my eyes staring at a computer for a few hours. They were irritated and dialated for three days afterward. So... Yeah. :(

I had fun anyway. Good luck to everyone!
That's too bad, Vann. Your sprite was one of my favorites.

Is there a way you could pass on your sprite to another willing artist, and have them finish the minor corrections and shinies? I know that's probably against CAP protocol, but it seems unfair to penalize you for a genuine medical emergency. Is there any precedent in CAP history that would allow for that?

@Scorpio: I also prefer the backsprite on the left, and I look forward to seeing it shaded and detailed. One thing I think you might want to consider is putting a black outline around the larger front fangs. As it is now, they're almost impossible to see.

Thanks McLuvdisc, I appreciate that.

I would totally be willing it hand it off to someone else for a joint submission type deal, if someone were wiling to do it. Anyone interested can PM me. I don't see why it would be a problem.

Just know going in, that back sprite is an ordeal. I didn't get very far with it. I was also having to rework the front sprite again to elongate the head further forward, so the head could appear in the back sprite without being obstructed by his coils and spines.

DFrog was right. It is a dynamic pose for a sprite. :D

These are very good. The only change I would make is the shiny female considering color psychology VS biblical Connections--Gender. However, note that this is not an absolute. There are many psychological analyses of colors and several different interpretations of the bible, these are just mine

Bright Red psyche; passion, love, intamacy, desire
Biblical connection; Eve post-apple consumption immediately experiences the emotions listed above and tries to convince Adam into joining her

Pure Yellow psyche; power, ambition, pride, overconfidence
Biblical connection; This is a big strech, but supposedly after giving into Eve, Adam felt like he could of challenged god with his new knowledge and power.

I have no idea what the psyche for brown/tan is so ignoring it.

Sickly Green+Black psyche; Internal suffering, pain, death
Biblical connection; Eternal punishment for all those who disrespected the garden of Eden and God's law.

Dark Green+Black psyche; Envy, jealousy, greed, spite
Biblical connection; The serpent upon observing Adam and Eve.

Dark Red+Black psyche; anger, blood, war, death, pain, hatred, shame
Biblical connection; The other emotions and negative thoughts Eve and Adam became aware of post-banishment from the garden.

Male sprite apple: Yellow (Don't change)
Reason: Adam after eating apple

Female sprite apple: Bright Red (Don't change)
Reason: Eve after eating the apple

Male shiny apple: Sickly Green (Don't change)
Male shiny skin: Black (Don't change)
Reason: physical punishment for disobeying god

Female shiny apple: Dark Red (change)
Female shiny skin: Black (Don't change)
Reason: Mental punishment for disobeying god

Plus it makes more sense on the color wheel
(Yellow)--->(Yellow-Green)
(Red)--->(Dark Red)

Red to green doesn't really make sense.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. It isn't required you listen to me. I am probably crazy for caring so much, lol.

I rather like the new sprites . . . though the female shiny sprites seem like the apple is a bit too . . . . neon-like for my taste. Maybe dulling the colour down or going for an orangish hue instead (to keep with the redder theme of the gender)

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. It isn't required you listen to me. I am probably crazy for caring so much, lol.
Just a bit ^^ No just kidding. I actually think your references are really smart.
But the problem is that I think that I don't think it should be 'so meaningful'. I think that it should be obvious what it means just by looking at it. And maybe I'm just stupid, but if I would see those colors of apples I wouldn't see the idea behind it.
But I tried the dark red apples anyway: ^^

Sonic The Hedgedawg, you're right. The color is a bit too bright so I made it a bit less neon-like:

Okay, so I've done some detailing for the backsprite. Comments would be appreciated.

Also, I've done a sprite to sample the gender differences (fig leaves on laurel)

Another thing I want to do is decide between these two. The right one has its leaves and spines shaded, while the other doesn't. Which one would you people prefer?

Hey Scorpio, nice job with those frontsprites. I definitely prefer the one on the right; shading the leaves and spines gives it a crisp, clear outline which the one on the left lacks.

However, I think your backsprite still needs some work. It looks a little two-dimensional, and the angle of the head is slightly off compared to the frontsprite. Fix those two things, and you'll be ready to start on the shines!

Scorpio, you should try to add more perspective to your backsprite. It looks like you just flipped the front sprite. Try to make his face turn to the direction of the opponent a bit more. Also something glaringly obvious that I'm surprised no one's pointed out yet is that the underbelly should be visible on the left side of the backsprite. You should also shorten the line that divides the part of the body/tail coming towards the viewer.

I haven't been working on my sprites this past week because of finals. I'll have time next Wednesday if the final submission deadline doesn't come before then. It's alright if I don't finish in time though, since there's already plenty of great sprites to choose from.

That's much better, Scorpio. The only thing I would suggest is putting a black outline around the apple to help it stand out against the white background.

Also, I just noticed something: On your frontsprite, Malaconda has six green spikes (two in the back, two in the middle, two in the front) but on your backsprite he appears to have seven (two in the back, two in the middle, THREE in the front). Was this intentional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)