Counter that Pokemon - Mk IV [FINAL MATCH - Team 1 won!]

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Would not subdisable gengar be better for serving as the best counter for landorus, while also being a great utility mon against a huge amount of threats? While subsplit does increase longevity, sub disable can completely shut lando down (as well as terrakion, choiced pokes, etc.) and lower the amount of needed prediction by quite a bit in the sense that the opponent has the ability to stop subsplit gengar from splitting successfully, but the gengar user holds the pressure when given the choice to disable or hit the switch in.
no, for two reasons;
1) no recovery. This means that after that 45% of damages from hp ice, you have to sub again, so you are approximately at 40%. Then you disable and it hits you again with u-turn so you will end up with a gengar with 30% of his life.
2) it hits like a girl. Seriously without life orb almost any offensive pokemon can take a shadow ball and ko it back. Think about dragonite, keldeo, landorus, thundurus, they all doesnt die from an unboosted shadow ball.

Last time around, and seemingly every time in this project, we wait until the end to choose hazards. I'd like to switch that up.
I know this didn't get much discussion but I wanted to pick on it, anyways. Picking hazards late is the best strategy in this project as the inherent nature of project to have constant switches makes hazards doubly important. The later we pick our hazard setter the easier it is to make sure it has the most opportunities to set them up. Picking hazards last was a lifesaver for Team 2 in the last CtP as their Skarmory had far more opportunities to setup hazards whereas Team 1's Mamoswine never had a chance to get SR up.

I agree with you. The problem is that U-turn Lando is so hard to counter that we have to rely on dedicated walls like that Cresselia.
Lando may very well be difficult to counter but I can assure you that it's very much possible without relying on dedicated walls. The problem with dedicated walls is that the only do half the job a pick is supposed to do; countering the other pick. However, they completely fail to accomplish their other goal which is to be as hard to counter as possible. Something like Cresselia puts little to no limits for the other team in future picks. This allows them to pick yet another near uncounterable threat (there are many of them in OU) which'll force the hand of Team 2 yet again. If we give the other team full control in the picks they'll have full control in the battle.

^ You shoudnt criticize a nomination just because it can't switch all day on Landorus. Keldeo and Starmie are both legit, and who cares if Landorus can kill them because he's outsped.
You got the opposite problem of LilOuOn. (I know you guys aren't the only ones, you are just the ones I'm quoting) You are ignoring the ideal of having a counter to the other pick in exchange for powerful offensive checks that can't switch in but have very little that can switch into them. This may work on real teams in real OU but teambuilding in the CtP is very different from real teambuilding. No matter how powerful your check is there will always be a counter to it (unless you are Hydreigon but he isn't checking much) which means that the opponent will be able to switch-in easily (enough) while you will be forced to throw a Pokemon every single time. Trust me, having only Keldeo to check Infernape was NOT fun for Team 2. The only reason it worked was because Team 2 had hazards up while the other team didn't.

This also ties in with what Alexwolf was suggesting. We can't opt to run only Pokemon that outspeed and KO Landorus-I. This is just putting way too much pressure on our future picks that will definitely come back to bite us later. Doing so may ensure Lando does nothing in the battle but it will have definitely done its job in the picks.

I want to draw attention again to CrackinSkulls's quote because it is very important and will help many of you give the best suggestions possible.
CrackinSkulls said:
It is a teambuilding game where pokemon are suggested for there respective team. At the end of the day these two teams will battle each other. We want to win this battle. So how do we ensure that... we make each set on our team counter our opponents and be as uncounterable as possible so our opponents are hard pressed to counter it with there next addition. Essentially we want to beat our opponent by countering them and preventing them from countering us. I feel that currently people are not understanding this. In the above Dusclops example, do we actually want to build a team around Dusclops!? This gives the opponent hundreds of options to choose from, Tyranitar which is a HUGE advantage because of sand, hell even a Bisharp becomes possible and very tough to counter. In short when you guys start a team do you honestly go "hmm lets make a team around chansey".

You guys are all intelligent people, use your intelligence, wit and cunning to accomplish this task by trapping your opponent just as you would in a match and using your match honed prediction to ensnare your opponent in a sticky web of cunning. Predict their choices and act upon them, play mind games, this game is supposed to bring out the best of our battle honed minds. If we are resorting to using Dusclops and Cresselia our opponent has us on the back foot in the first round from where they can dominate, bully and force into submission. So cunning OU players out there use your match skills to outpredict, outplay and beat the opponent. To quote Poppy in the Ubers thread " Pick discreetly, with the intention to bait, befoul, bludgeon, barf upon, and generally bring waste to the opposition."

If you guys are struggling to understand the concept have a look at the ubers thread or the previous OU one . Anyway i hope i could help you guys understand the game and keep this thread a little cleaner. Don't post nonsense posts keep them simple, clean and easy to follow. Good luck with the game.

Speaking of offensive counters to Landorus, I think I have one of my own.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Return

What does this set do? HeraBOSS, baby. This thing has a monstrous attack stat with high powered STABs and an excellent array of abilities. The goal of this set is to tank attacks with its key set of resistances and fire off amazingly strong attacks with its Choice Band. Close Combat and Megahorn are its STAB moves who's high power makes it hard for even resists to stomach. Stone Edge has excellent coverage with Close Combat allowing Heracross to knock those flying types out of the sky. Return gives Heracross another option for nuking Landorus which eases up on the prediction required. The bulky spread allows Heracross to switch in more often while the capped attack makes sure it blows a hole in whatever tries to come in. Swarm, when activated, gives Megahorn unholy power outdoing even neutral Returns or Stone Edges.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Heracross: 118-139 (32.5 - 38.29%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Life Orb Landorus U-turn vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 50-59 (13.77 - 16.25%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 194-229 (60.81 - 71.78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 191-225 (59.87 - 70.53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Swarm Heracross Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 257-303 (80.56 - 94.98%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

How can this set help the team?
Heracross gives Team 2 a safe switch-in to Landorus while putting immense offensive pressure itself allowing it to turn the tables on the other player.

What can the other team do in response to this set?
Bulky ghost types like Jellicent and Dusclops will have an easy time switching in on Heracross. (although the former isn't liking Swarm boosted Megahorns) Defensive Gliscor and Landorus-T will also have an easy time switching in. However, Gliscor can't do much back to Heracross and still takes hefty damage from Return/Stone Edge. Landorus-T can hit back with its powerful attack stat and neutral Stone Edge, however its lack of recovery and possibility of Swarm means it'll have a hard time outlasting Heracross.

What potential additions can be made to deal with these responses?
Defensive Ghost types can't really do much back which opens up many options for counter picks. In general, a Pursuit trapper like Scizor or Tyranitar can remove the pesky specters so Heracross can score KOs more easily. Gliscor also suffers from a lack of offense and is also Spikes fodder for potential Skarmory picks. Landorus-T is harder to counter do to U-Turn and its attack stat however it also can't do much to a Skarmory pick outside of Gravity. Both ground types also have difficulties with Rotom-W who can abuse its resistances and immunity to drown them with Hydro Pump or support the rest of the team with Volt Switch.

Don't forget Virizion guys.

@Melee Mewtwo
Landorus-T is out of the picture, because they already have Landorus-I. Also I don't think Virizion is a good choice. While it is good against Landorus, U-turn will still hurt and we shouldn't forget that we still need to put offensive pressure on Team 1. Virizion is not exactly a huge threat compared to Landorus.

The suggestions I liked so far are ChestoRest Gyarados and SubSplit Gengar. Gyarados seems like the best switch in to Landorus, but the problem with it, is that it surprise value won't work and that it still takes ~50% with Stealth Rocks upon switching in, forceing to immediately use Rest ot being 2HKOed next time. It also doesn't pose to big of threat, since with Waterfall/ Bounce it pretty easy to counter. Gengar boost good power and can be more difficult to counter, but it very suspectile to Pursuit trapping especially with Landorus having U-turn. It also fits into concept of countering Landorus by outspeeding it as suggested by Remedy and Alexwolf.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Speaking of offensive counters to Landorus, I think I have one of my own.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Return

What does this set do? HeraBOSS, baby. This thing has a monstrous attack stat with high powered STABs and an excellent array of abilities. The goal of this set is to tank attacks with its key set of resistances and fire off amazingly strong attacks with its Choice Band. Close Combat and Megahorn are its STAB moves who's high power makes it hard for even resists to stomach. Stone Edge has excellent coverage with Close Combat allowing Heracross to knock those flying types out of the sky. Return gives Heracross another option for nuking Landorus which eases up on the prediction required. The bulky spread allows Heracross to switch in more often while the capped attack makes sure it nukes whatever tries to come in. Swarm, when activated, gives Megahorn unholy power outdoing even neutral Returns or Stone Edges.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Heracross: 118-139 (32.5 - 38.29%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Life Orb Landorus U-turn vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 50-59 (13.77 - 16.25%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 194-229 (60.81 - 71.78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 191-225 (59.87 - 70.53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Swarm Heracross Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 257-303 (80.56 - 94.98%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

How can this set help the team?
Heracross gives Team 2 a safe switch-in to Landorus while putting immense offensive pressure itself allowing it to turn the tables on the other player.

What can the other team do in response to this set?
Bulky ghost types like Jellicent and Dusclops will have an easy time switching in on Heracross. (although the former isn't liking Swarm boosted Megahorns) Defensive Gliscor and Landorus-T will also have an easy time switching in. However, Gliscor can't do much back to Heracross and still takes hefty damage from Return/Stone Edge. Landorus-T can hit back with its powerful attack stat and neutral Stone Edge, however its lack of recovery and possibility of Swarm means it'll have a hard time outlasting Heracross.

What potential additions can be made to deal with these responses?
Defensive Ghost types can't really do much back which opens up many options for counter picks. In general, a Pursuit trapper like Scizor or Tyranitar can remove the pesky specters so Heracross can score KOs more easily. Gliscor also suffers from a lack of offense and is also Spikes fodder for potential Skarmory picks. Landorus-T is harder to counter do to U-Turn and its attack stat however it also can't do much to a Skarmory pick outside of Gravity. Both ground types also have difficulties with Rotom-W who can abuse its resistances and immunity to drown them with Hydro Pump or support the rest of the team with Volt Switch.

Don't forget Virizion guys.
Ok, while its true heracross can switch on it like twice, i think some it has some flaws.
First, its slow. Really, 206 speed its too bad, i know that even with max speed it wont reach much, but this leaves it open to a lot of things, think about Dragonite which can outspeed and ko it, mamoswine with icicle crash, even things like Breloom that its supposed to check can spore it, gyarados, and the list go on. I can see it being outspeeded by probably everything we will choose for the other team.
Then, its choiced. Some of his moves are very easy to exploit, like megahorn and stone edge. Once you are locked you will probably have to switch out, which is bad and will make you lose momentum.
As last thing, i think its not a great check overall to landorus. It will switch in taking like 40% from epower, then other 10% while he u-turns, and then you have to lock yourself into moves like return which is bad, because any steel type can laugh at it. It can work, but i would have preferred a scarf heracross or something more usefull in general, too bad it lacks of the power to ko landorus back without cb :/

Oh, and regarding virizion, if someone wants to make a submission (not sure if i can do two) i did this spread for calm mind virizion: EVs: 120 HP / 136 SAtk / 252 Spd with timid nature, which allows us to take hits better and still ko landorus after a Lo recoil or stealth rocks damage.

Offensive Counter of Landorus? Here...

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ok, with this set, Virizion becomes an immediate threat. The EV spread allow to outspeed Landorus, and he avoids the KO from Hidden Power Ice and OHKO Landorus, because the Life Orb gives the power to do. It's hard to Counter Virizion after a boost, except Latios or Latias that scare him, he's very useful for the team and he can deal important damage against all the metagame. Again, Virizion forces Landorus to use moves not affected by Sheer force, which is great. Virizion is also one of the few pokemon not Pursuit weak, unlike Latias and Gengar, and not weak to Stealth Rock, like Gyarados. Generally SD Virizion can attempt to sweep because Close Combat is strong enough to KO Skarmory after some prior damage, and Leaf Blade can KO all those bulky water that infest the mg.

Dragontamer has my vote right now, as I adore Gyarados and love bulky defensive sets, and I think spreading paralysis is great.

That said, I actually think we could do better than Dragon Tail, here. It simply isn't very powerful, and it's very easy to take advantage of this early in the project via Substitute. I think taking a strong coverage move (Stone Edge, Earthquake) or further utility (Taunt), or even a more reliable phazing move (Roar) would be a better option.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Now, the real stuff :

I dont randomly criticize other sets. I just think its better for us to chose one hard counter as the first pick just to be sure we have something to switch in on landorus.

Okay so you think that a defensive pick is better.

Sure we can fill in the team with things that kos and outspeed landorus, but we are not sure we can do it.. lets say we are forced to pick an heatran and we need a switch in for landorus, what can we do? send starmie and lose? Im not opposed to things that outspeeds and kills landorus, but we have to do it later. We now need the most efficent counter for landorus. You also said that defensive pokemon are not good now, as well as keldeo, so you have the same ideas like me.

I don't get your Heatran example. I eat my shoes if people vote to get a Heatran if they know that Landorus will be against them.
If a pick in the future leaves so much room for Landorus, blame the people who nominated/voted for it, not my logic. I can't responsible for that.

About your submission, latias is somewhat good so yeah... i just think that you dont need reflect type. The only things its usefull for are Tyranitar, scizor and Ferrothorn. As for ferrothorn it doesnt change anything because it will just setup spikes and we cant touch it. Cb scizor as you said is 2koed by surf so you dont need it anyway. As for ttar, if we are going to chose it, it will probably have crunch/superpower and pursuit without a choice item (or just a scarf), so it will be a prediction game just like with gengar. Will tyranitar crunch while i reflect its type? Will tyranitar pursuit while i switchout? what if i reflect its type and he goes for superpower?

Okay it's a prediction game... do you realise that before it was a "man you're dead I trapped you" game ?

Generally, Latias is a more usefull pokemon in this metagame than gengar, but it doesnt help in any way getting past of scizor/ttar and the likes. To me the fact that its going to take approximately 50% by u-turn is a reason enough to not use it... It true that latias can win the 1 vs 1 against landorus, but the other team can simply switch out to a pursuit pokemon/something that checks latias and we will lose momentum/lose our check to landorus.

Okay so in the end, you criticize it for being unable to switch in on an U-Turn (like all the metagame, if we consider that Landorus has 5 decent mates).

With this said, i honestly think we should just use latios (which allow us to 2ko cb tyranitar with surf, while latias cant do it) with hidden power fire over reflect type, to be sure they dont chose sp def scizor/ferrothorn other steel types to stop us.

OKAY SO. Here is the issue. You want a defensive pick, you criticize Latias for being unable to switch in on U-Turn... what you want to take Latios ? Err, I don't know if you're assuming that you can get away like that. This line of logic is damn flawed in my opinion. It makes no sense.
And your "it will 2HKO Ttar" is naive in fact. I mentionned it,so I can be blamed but let's be honest : If I nominate a Ttar right after your Latios, don't worry, I will give him a custom EVs Spread just to survive anything you could throw at me, and kill you back. So here, this "advantage" over Latias isn't even relevant if we consider that the future nominations will be decent enough to actually "counter" the pokemons chosen.
I hope I was clear here.
I like Heracross, but I don't see it working at all. Too specialized, I can see it being turned into an useless piece of crap quite easily because his stabs have bad coverage, he's choiced, he's slow... Prediction goes crazy during the CTP game, I want to delay the arrival of choice users the more possible, so it won't be so dramatic to lock a pokemon into a move.

My Gyarados realy doesnt fear Stealth Rock as much as you make it seem. Instant one turn recovery really is quite useful at keeping Gyarados healthy, especially if its packed with a spinner. that said, its rather easy for team 1 to select a scarfer than can outspeed Gyara, even at +2, and it's true as well that Gyarados fears Rotom. however, those threats, and especially scarfers, can be dealth with by pokemon such as wobbuffet, so its certainly not alost cause, the gyarados just needs good support to sweep. i must also admit that the majority of my sets success relies on surprise value, as opponents often toxic it and then just let it set up DDs, which cannot be done when the opposing team knows team 2. make of it what you will, i'm just giving an honest and hopefully unbiased opinion on my set.
Offensive Counter of Landorus? Here...

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ok, with this set, Virizion becomes an immediate threat. The EV spread allow to outspeed Landorus, and he avoids the KO from Hidden Power Ice and OHKO Landorus, because the Life Orb gives the power to do. It's hard to Counter Virizion after a boost, except Latios or Latias that scare him, he's very useful for the team and he can deal important damage against all the metagame. Again, Virizion forces Landorus to use moves not affected by Sheer force, which is great. Virizion is also one of the few pokemon not Pursuit weak, unlike Latias and Gengar, and not weak to Stealth Rock, like Gyarados. Generally SD Virizion can attempt to sweep because Close Combat is strong enough to KO Skarmory after some prior damage, and Leaf Blade can KO all those bulky water that infest the mg.

HP Ice: 50.61 - 60.18%
Virizion can only switch into Hidden Power Ice once which doesn't make it a counter, but somewhat of a check to an extent. It would have to predict another move or already be in play. Agreeing with everyome on Gyarados.

This idea of having to pick offensive counters is completely incoherent. You can put pressure on Team 1 without choosing "offense." Hell, by even having Gyarados use Thunder Wave, we've put pressure on Team 1 to select Pokemon that don't care about it or aren't worried about it. So, basically, slower Pokemon, defensive Pokemon, or Pokemon that use status to their advantage or are immune to TWave.

Just because it doesn't hit astronomically hard doesn't mean it's not a good early pick.

I also completely disagree with choosing hazards at the end. There are so fewer good Pokes to choose from that offer hazards--SPECIFICALLY Spikes. You run the risk of not even being able to fit a good hazard setter if you wait until the end. You also run the risk of the team not being able to counter a spinner should Team 1, say, select a spinner that shits all over Team 2 and their hazards. Lastly, you abandon the ability to necessarily choose a good partner for the hazard setter, such as Magic Bounce or a ghost-type, things you may not even consider until you choose hazards, in the first place.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First Mewtwo, it was pretty ironical in a way that it's obvious that we won't be only fitting offensive stuff to check other stuff. But everybody knows that, really.
About the last CTP, blame yourself not me dude, half the project was about your picks. You can't take the last project and say "yes that was bad", because you're probably the most guilty here. So yes, go easy on the lessons, to be honest I feel like I've been a big whiner is the past CTP, and in the end I wasn't so wrong.
Okay, you say it's pretty obvious we won't be only fitting in offensive stuff to check other stuff and how everybody knows that, but that just contradicts your previous argument. Also, how is Melee Mewtwo blaming anybody for the last CTP? All he did was make points and back them up with examples from the previous project to help prove his point, he never once pushed any blame for the previous CTP (an improvement on the one before that) on you. Also, even if he was giving lessons (he's really just adding discussion) then how is that a bad thing? He brings in constructive critisism to help people.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

Cresselia walls hard Landorus tanking all his moves very well, she doesn't care about Earth Power, Focus Blast and Hidden Power Ice and she can tank without any problem even a U-Turn super effective. I decided to propose Cresselia because a) she's one of the best counter of Landorus-I in general in the whole game and because b) she isn't only a great counter of Landorus-I but she's a great supporter which can handle a lot of threats too, like Dragonite, Garchomp, Breloom, Terrakion etcetera, so she can help us a lot to deal with a lot of Pokemon which are common nowadays with just a slot. Cresselia definitely deserves more love :(

HP Ice: 50.61 - 60.18%
Virizion can only switch into Hidden Power Ice once which doesn't make it a counter, but somewhat of a check to an extent. It would have to predict another move or already be in play. Agreeing with everyome on Gyarados.
Uh, if i switch on Virizion, and he use Hidden Power Ice, i take 50-60 dmg, but he can scare him because an Hidden Power Ice of Virizion will KO him, so he can dance in prediction of a Landorus's switch (fear of KO) and sweep. Landorus can't stand on the field with Virizion in play, even if you want to risk him.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
ugh, dont post this way the next time otherwhise its difficult to me to respond, the quote botton doesnt work.

I dont randomly criticize other sets. I just think its better for us to chose one hard counter as the first pick just to be sure we have something to switch in on landorus.

Okay so you think that a defensive pick is better.
No i just think that gyarados/gengar heck even latias can be chosen, not starmie or keldeo just because they outspeed lando

Sure we can fill in the team with things that kos and outspeed landorus, but we are not sure we can do it.. lets say we are forced to pick an heatran and we need a switch in for landorus, what can we do? send starmie and lose? Im not opposed to things that outspeeds and kills landorus, but we have to do it later. We now need the most efficent counter for landorus. You also said that defensive pokemon are not good now, as well as keldeo, so you have the same ideas like me.

I don't get your Heatran example. I eat my shoes if people vote to get a Heatran if they know that Landorus will be against them.
If a pick in the future leaves so much room for Landorus, blame the people who nominated/voted for it, not my logic. I can't responsible for that.
What you dont get? if for some reason they choose a volcarona (just an example) and they force us to use heatran because volca has hp ice you cant say you dont need a switch in for landorus. Note that this is just an example, please dont say "terrakion also checks volca" or stuff like that. I mean that if we choose something which is koed by earth power/focus blast we need a better switch in than keldeo or starmie or that thing will just die.

About your submission, latias is somewhat good so yeah... i just think that you dont need reflect type. The only things its usefull for are Tyranitar, scizor and Ferrothorn. As for ferrothorn it doesnt change anything because it will just setup spikes and we cant touch it. Cb scizor as you said is 2koed by surf so you dont need it anyway. As for ttar, if we are going to chose it, it will probably have crunch/superpower and pursuit without a choice item (or just a scarf), so it will be a prediction game just like with gengar. Will tyranitar crunch while i reflect its type? Will tyranitar pursuit while i switchout? what if i reflect its type and he goes for superpower?

Okay it's a prediction game... do you realise that before it was a "man you're dead I trapped you" game ?
Why? Gengar koes tyranitar with focus blast, and if tyranitar its scarfed it traps latias anyway. Scizor needs to be cb pursuit to trap gengar which is easily exploitable by the other team mates

Generally, Latias is a more usefull pokemon in this metagame than gengar, but it doesnt help in any way getting past of scizor/ttar and the likes. To me the fact that its going to take approximately 50% by u-turn is a reason enough to not use it... It true that latias can win the 1 vs 1 against landorus, but the other team can simply switch out to a pursuit pokemon/something that checks latias and we will lose momentum/lose our check to landorus.

Okay so in the end, you criticize it for being unable to switch in on an U-Turn (like all the metagame, if we consider that Landorus has 5 decent mates).

With this said, i honestly think we should just use latios (which allow us to 2ko cb tyranitar with surf, while latias cant do it) with hidden power fire over reflect type, to be sure they dont chose sp def scizor/ferrothorn other steel types to stop us.

OKAY SO. Here is the issue. You want a defensive pick, you criticize Latias for being unable to switch in on U-Turn... what you want to take Latios ? Err, I don't know if you're assuming that you can get away like that. This line of logic is damn flawed in my opinion. It makes no sense.
And your "it will 2HKO Ttar" is naive in fact. I mentionned it,so I can be blamed but let's be honest : If I nominate a Ttar right after your Latios, don't worry, I will give him a custom EVs Spread just to survive anything you could throw at me, and kill you back. So here, this "advantage" over Latias isn't even relevant if we consider that the future nominations will be decent enough to actually "counter" the pokemons chosen.
I dont want defensive picks, and yes i prefer latios because the point of the project is to choose the most difficult pokemon to counter... 130 sp atk its better than 110 in my book, and since latios checks landorus in the same way as latias (not koed by hp ice, not koed by u-turn, faster and can ko) i prefer latios. And the sentence about tyranitar was an example of a thing that latios can 2ko while latias cant. Sure we can force a tyranitar to choose a spread which takes 2 surf after sr... how many attack evs do you need to invest on hp? it will seriously hurt tyranitar and whatever else we will choose.
The same thing can be said for scizor, who needs to invest a lot more in special defense to take 2 surf (also hp fire kills), heatran, and even jirachi needs to have like max sp. def. and wish+protect to effectively check hp fire latios.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
@ Neliel: Yup, I agree, there are trades and that's the interesting point in my opinion. About forcing passively Landorus to use 2 spells, I totally agree, and I talked about that in my nomination myself. I believe also that we should force Landorus to limit his possiblites i.e, any nomination that does not fulfil this point is bad.
This isn't an answer to your last post though. Just want to point that Ttar scarf doesn't really trap reflect type Latias, and that Heatran is bad here, because future nomination will have to be aware of Landorus, so you'll have to deal with Volcarona in a different way. Thus I don't agree with playing your game, and taking an irrelevant example to prove your point.

Uh, if i switch on Virizion, and he use Hidden Power Ice, i take 50-60 dmg, but he can scare him because an Hidden Power Ice of Virizion will KO him, so he can dance in prediction of a Landorus's switch (fear of KO) and sweep. Landorus can't stand on the field with Virizion in play, even if you want to risk him.
Still a risk of mind games that could cost you Virizion if your blufff is caught, and +2 Virizion is not very threatening your opponent can switch to an appropriate Poke your Virizion will either stay in and die or switch out and won't be able to take a second Hp Ice.

This idea of having to pick offensive counters is completely incoherent. You can put pressure on Team 1 without choosing "offense." Hell, by even having Gyarados use Thunder Wave, we've put pressure on Team 1 to select Pokemon that don't care about it or aren't worried about it. So, basically, slower Pokemon, defensive Pokemon, or Pokemon that use status to their advantage or are immune to TWave.

Just because it doesn't hit astronomically hard doesn't mean it's not a good early pick.

I also completely disagree with choosing hazards at the end. There are so fewer good Pokes to choose from that offer hazards--SPECIFICALLY Spikes. You run the risk of not even being able to fit a good hazard setter if you wait until the end. You also run the risk of the team not being able to counter a spinner should Team 1, say, select a spinner that shits all over Team 2 and their hazards. Lastly, you abandon the ability to necessarily choose a good partner for the hazard setter, such as Magic Bounce or a ghost-type, things you may not even consider until you choose hazards, in the first place.
Yes and no. Thunder wave does limit the opponent's future picks but not nearly as much as raw power. There are many pokemon that can fall into the group of those who can deal with T-wave. (like the ones you listed) Heck, even something that hates T-wave can still serve it's purpose as a counter due to its bulk/resistances. It'll just mean that it can do much else which'll make it an overall lesser pick. On the other hand, Pokemon with raw power (Terrak, Lando, Hydrei, etc.) have a very specific list of Pokemon that can counter it, some only have a specific set. This puts far greater limits on the future picks which is what we are aiming for. So yes, T-Wave does limit the picks just not as much as raw power.

As for Spikes, you pretty much justify what I'm saying. If we can't fit a Spikes setter latter on then that means that Spike setter wouldn't have been a good pick earlier, either. If Forretress becomes a bad pick because of the many fire types and setup sweepers on the other team then it probably wouldn't have done us much good earlier. In fact, it would have hurt us as the opposing team would have more slots to deal with the Spiker and would know exactly what it would be up against. Picking it last lets us choose what is the most fit for the situation and what'll make it harder for the opponent to counter pick. It's true that we may end up never getting Spikes in somewhere but that's not because of when we chose it, it's because the other player's picks didn't allow it. (bravo to them in that case)

As far as countering the other Team's counter picks, we'll just have to look ahead. Seeing as we will always make two picks at a time (with the exception of Team 1's last pick) it'll be our job to make sure that we pair our Spiker up with something that is going to at least force the other team to pick their poison. For example, if we grab Skarm + Latios for our final picks to counter a Breloom + Gliscor combo the other team will now have to choose whether it picks a counter for Latios (lets say Ttar) or a Magic Bouncer for Skarmory.

To sum it up, the latter picks have the advantage of being tailored to be the most effective (which is what causes the controversy around Team 1's final pick). Taking advantage of this is important for hazard setters as, generally (talking about Spike users), they don't have any real offensive presence which means their efficiency is completely reliant upon the number of free turns they are given to set up Spikes.

I said that it's a possiblity. Not that we had to do that at all cost on every single pick. So, your turn to read carefully, in what you quote there is an "only". And this is, an important word in this sentence.
So I contradict nothing.
About the "blame", he quoted me and said that this resulted in wrong decisions in the past CTP. He didn't blame me directly, but let's not play with words.
And, it was quite convenient to take the last CTP as example and say "care, here we made a mistake we must not make again", when he was the culprit (and oh snap.. you too mainly). The OP decided to do a blind vote for a good reason, the last CTP was almost a 2 men's project. So sorry if I point you and Mewtwo as responsible for the last CTP's nominations, but it would be foolish to deny the impact you had.

While I won't be bouncing on everybody's opinion, and always respect it in the end, when someone tries to diguise his into some absolute truth, it goes a bit on my nerves I must admit.
(TGMD covered everything I wanted to say in the first post so I'll just comment on the response)
I'm not sure what you are trying to say about "only fitting offensive stuff to check other stuff". If you are talking about only fitting members that deny Landorus-I playing time by threatening to KO then yes that more or less contradicts what you are saying things like a possible Heatran as a future pick. If you are talking only handling threats with offensive checks in general then I agree with you. Except that I feel we should never just rely on a threat being able to outspeed and KO, it needs to be able to switch in as well.

As for quotes, I just quoted you because you were the first post I saw to present the idea I disagree with above. (to be more specific, using a Starmie to check Lando) I tried to explain that with my little note in parenthesis about you not being the only one but I guess I did a bad job. What I meant to say is that who I'm quoting didn't really matter, I could have said the exact same thing quoting Alexwolf who posted right after you.

As for blame, it would be impossible to blame anybody for having to rely on Keldeo to check Infernape. Keldeo was picked early on for a completely different purpose whereas Ape was the final pick and built specifically to beat everybody knowing that we couldn't do anything about it. There's no blaming involved, I just used an example from a previous CtP. (the only one I participated in) (Oh, and just fyi, I volunteered to handle all the blind voting as Ganj4lf was originally worried it would be too much work to implement.)

As for not sticking "I believe" or "I think" in my arguments, I can't really help you much as it's just the way I present my arguments. It's off topic so I won't go much into it but if you want to discuss it feel free to PM me. Just read what I say with the idea that I'm assuming my opinions are opinions and that I don't need to remind everybody of that.

Anyways, back to Pokemon.
@ Neliel's edit : Yup, I agree, there are trades and that's the interesting point in my opinion. About forcing passively Landorus to use 2 spells, I totally agree, and I talked about that in my nomination myself. I believe also that we should force Landorus to limit his possiblites i.e, any nomination that does not fulfil this point is bad.
This is exactly what I'm saying we should avoid. If we don't take a solid counter to Lando we are going to have to deal with the problem later on that it'll pressure all our picks. Being forced to find another counter to something like Volcarona just because we didn't pack one to Landorus is something we want to avoid. This gives way too much control to the opposing Team and allows them to quite easily dictate our picks as there are many threats with a short list of counters. Even if in the end we succeed in blocking Lando from doing anything, we still failed in making the picks that we wanted and forcing the opposing team to react to us. I've no problem packing a counter to Landorus now and then opting for one good pick over another because it deals with Lando better. That's just being smart and considering the whole team. I just don't want to be forced to be still considering something else when we have new threats popping up.

As for Virizion, I personally prefer the CM or Work Up set as it has Giga Drain (and SpDef boosts for CM) to help keep Virizion healthy and more reliable as a counter to Landorus. It doesn't really have the raw power of something like Heracross or Gyarados to beat dents into things for every free turn so it needs to make up for that by being more durable and reliable when it comes to countering Landorus.

jpw234

Catastrophic Event Specialist
Nominate Blissey.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Blissey hard counters Landorus-I even with Stealth Rock and sandstorm up:
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 237-281 (36.34 - 43.09%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and weather
It also counters every special threat in the game other than Specs Psyshock Latios, Keldeo, and Gengar. It provides versatility - supporting the team and doesn't lock us in to any particular team style except not HO (you can use Blissey as a pivot/supporter on a Bulky Offense team). This format isn't particularly conducive to weather so the fact that it doesn't work that well with sun doesn't really bother me either.

Still a risk of mind games that could cost you Virizion if your blufff is caught, and +2 Virizion is not very threatening your opponent can switch to an appropriate Poke your Virizion will either stay in and die or switch out and won't be able to take a second Hp Ice.
Yes, but the same mindgame is a risk, and probably will cost Landorus at opponent, 50-50 chance. +2 Virizion can sweep if there are at least Stealth Rock and he doesn't have Latios or Latias. If my opponent switch and his next Pokè die, when he will send Landorus, he will be OHKOed because Virizion outspeed Landorus.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Body Slam
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Togekiss full walls landorus and can paralyze landorus with body slam and Kills Posibily TTar With Aura Sphere

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 133-157 (35.56 - 41.97%) -- 23.83% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 120-143 (32.08 - 38.23%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

had soo low chance to 2HKO with focus blast after sr and is unrealiable and togekiss can paralyse with serene grace body slam

Reymedy

ne craint personne
@Mewtwo : I give up, seems like half my post is not correctly red, and the half has been deleted for some random reason. I wasn't the one talking about Heatran. You just took what I said to Neliel and repeated it. So yea <.<

Gastrodon@Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 SpA
Calm Nature
Trait: Storm Drain
-Scald
-Earth Power
-Toxic
-Recover

Specially defensive Gastro is something not meant to be messed with. Scald and EP are for STAB and to put a chunk into Lando as well as burning physical attackers. Toxic is to wear down walls in conjunction with Recover. I wish i could give him Ice Beam but I want to give him a chance to hinder physical attackers and the chance to wear down walls with Toxic. If anyone thinks I should change Scald or Toxic for Ice Beam, I will consider it.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 187-220 (43.89 - 51.64%) -- 9.77% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

That's Lando's most powerful attack against Gastro and it has less than a 10% chance to 2HKO after SR damage.

Yes, but the same mindgame is a risk, and probably will cost Landorus at opponent, 50-50 chance. +2 Virizion can sweep if there are at least Stealth Rock and he doesn't have Latios or Latias. If my opponent switch and his next Pokè die, when he will send Landorus, he will be OHKOed because Virizion outspeed Landorus.
My mindset still stands, there are better options then a 50/50 chance playing mind games with a crucial counter/check to one of the most potent sweepers in the meta game at the moment.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
reserving sdef zapdos

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 226 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

sdef zapdos is probably the best check to u-turn landorus out there. it takes minimal damage from hidden power ice (40% max i believe) and ohkos back with its own hp ice, plus it has instant recovery to ensure that it lives for as long as possible. in addition to all that, it's also a phenomenal utility attacker with access to the ever-useful heat wave, deterring any steel-type from attempting to set up on it and providing a decent check to specially oriented grass types, most notably venusaur. finally, zapdos works as a momentum builder, using volt switch to gain the upper hand and put you in a better position to take advantage of. all in all i think zapdos is probably the best pokemon we can start out with for team 2. (oh yeah and evs outspeed adamant breloom)

kacaw

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

sdef zapdos is probably the best check to u-turn landorus out there. it takes minimal damage from hidden power ice (40% max i believe) and ohkos back with its own hp ice, plus it has instant recovery to ensure that it lives for as long as possible. in addition to all that, it's also a phenomenal utility attacker with access to the ever-useful heat wave, deterring any steel-type from attempting to set up on it and providing a decent check to specially oriented grass types, most notably venusaur. finally, zapdos works as a momentum builder, using volt switch to gain the upper hand and put you in a better position to take advantage of. all in all i think zapdos is probably the best pokemon we can start out with for team 2. (oh yeah and evs outspeed adamant breloom)

kacaw
I would definitely run a few more speed EVs--32, I believe?--to outrun Tyranitar, should they choose it. Being able to Roost before Stone Edge is pretty handy, and the loss in SDef won't be very noticeable. Also, you could probably use 248 EVs in HP instead of 252 to maximize your ability to switch into Stealth Rock.

I'd do 248 HP / 228 SDef / 32 Spd.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
i can live with 32 speed evs, even though practically nobody runs max speed tyranitar anymore. i keep forgetting this is an open environment where evs are visible, so preparing for anything is probably a good idea (except now you can assume team 1 won't run max speed ttar because we're prepping it out, lol). i'm not going with 248 hp over 252 because if zapdos is chosen the team's going to have a way to handle stealth rock, and i much prefer getting 1 extra hp of leftovers per turn and losing an extra 1 hp to rocks than the other way around. maximum recovery is key on zapdos since landorus can come close to a 3hko with max rolls on hp ice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)