Creative (and good) Movesets Mk II (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Bottom of the page syndrome.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SAtk / 100 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Roar / Protect
- Toxic / Stealth Rock

Just a little something I've been running on a Rain team. I've been surprised with how well it works, to be honest. Empoleon's actually pretty sturdy (this set can take Timid Volcarona's +1 HP Ground, which was the original point of the set) and with the Special Attack EVs it hits really hard.

EDIT: Lots of slashitis here.
And of course it's weak to Fighting priority, which (outside of Techniloom) isn't actually that common in the first place. But it's not showing its face around anything that commonly runs a Fighting move anyway. As for the Slowbro suggestion, that many Water-types on a Rain team hasn't been seen since the days of Drizzle + Swift Swim...

That reminds me, I might need another Fighting resist on my team...

I'm not sure if this is particularly creative, but I really have not seen anyone else use this.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 168 SDef / 92 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Generally, bulky Rotom doesn't even run defense / special defense investment, but I've found this to be very effective. Given the prevalence of Rain teams in the current metagame, Special Defensive Rotom-W does well against the most common variants of offensive Rain Teams, being able to counter Tornadus-T, and check a number of other common threats such as Keldeo, Scizor, Genesect, Thundurus, Politoed, Tentacruel and Jirachi. Rotom-W is not even 2HKO'd by Tornadus-T's Specs Hurricane after Stealth Rock, which is pretty crazy. It's invested to outspeed Specially Defensive Heatran and offensive Scizor, while also retaining good bulk. If you're looking for a good answer to Rain, then I highly recommend you test this set.

Reuniclus@Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EV's: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Def
Modest Nature
-Psychic/Psyshock
-RECOVER
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball

Ruins stall with perfrect coverage and can recover unlike the trick room set. Struggles a bit more with offense, but it could be worth it.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've used that exact set before, and it just left me incredibly disappointed. I switched to CM+Recover and liked it so much more - the only bad matchup it ever has is versus Sableye/Spiritomb or a phazer (many of whom take massive damage anyway).

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bottom of the page syndrome.And of course it's weak to Fighting priority, which (outside of Techniloom) isn't actually that common in the first place. But it's not showing its face around anything that commonly runs a Fighting move anyway. As for the Slowbro suggestion, that many Water-types on a Rain team hasn't been seen since the days of Drizzle + Swift Swim...

That reminds me, I might need another Fighting resist on my team...
Yeah, and it's not as if Slowbro can switch in on Breloom anyway; it's just set up bait, as long as the opponent plays cautiously.

As the author of the WIP Deoxys-D analysis, I noticed that ScarfDeoxys-D works really well.

Deoxys-D @ Choice Scarf
252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Timid nature
~TRICK
~SPIKES
~Taunt
~Night Shade / TWave

Yeah, because I hate Espeon just that much. Deoxys-D doesn't mind a Scarf really; and it's quite easy to bluff non-choice by spamming Spikes. Trick is the real gem in this set- crippling:
CM Espeon
SpDef Ttar
CB Scizor

and many others. Superfast Taunt, outspeeds even Tornadus-T. Night Shade hits pretty hard too, but T-Wave is rikier and rewardier (lol)- it tends to cause switches, both using your hazards and allowing you to bluff Lefties even longer.

Yeah, and it's not as if Slowbro can switch in on Breloom anyway; it's just set up bait, as long as the opponent plays cautiously.

As the author of the WIP Deoxys-D analysis, I noticed that ScarfDeoxys-D works really well.

Deoxys-D @ Choice Scarf
252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Timid nature
~TRICK
~SPIKES
~Taunt
~Night Shade / TWave

Yeah, because I hate Espeon just that much. Deoxys-D doesn't mind a Scarf really; and it's quite easy to bluff non-choice by spamming Spikes. Trick is the real gem in this set- crippling:
CM Espeon
SpDef Ttar
CB Scizor

and many others. Superfast Taunt, outspeeds even Tornadus-T. Night Shade hits pretty hard too, but T-Wave is rikier and rewardier (lol)- it tends to cause switches, both using your hazards and allowing you to bluff Lefties even longer
TrickScarf Deoxys-D has definitely caused aggravation on my opponents side when I have used. However, it is a shame that it can not carry SR in an open spot. I would actually would try to fit in SR over Taunt on the set since TrickScarf act as a pseudo Taunt, forcing an opposing Deoxys-D lead into one move (SR or Taunt to switch out of and try to set up once).
Code:
Metagross @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Gravity
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
Alright so this Metagross is meant to be placed on spike-stacking teams (not full on gravity). Gravity is really excellent for getting the most out of your Spikes and can be extremely effective to wrack up damage quicker. Gravity also serves to force out Skarmory and if you can Rotom-W, thus racking up more damage. Speaking of Rotom-W, Lum Berry is there if there is any attempt to try to burn you. As for the coverage move, I chose Zen Headbutt for secondary STAB and to hit Jellicent, although feel free to recommend a better option

Metagross looks like it was tailor made for Gravity,where it can enjoy almost flawless coverage. I recommend thunderpunch over zen headbutt to hit said Jellicent and Gyarados for SE damage or maybe Hammer arm for ferrothorn and Heatran on a balloon.

Anyway my set:

Politoed (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Waterfall

Well it looks bad but trust me, it´s effective. Now most people expect a specially based Politoed, so you can nail those Blisseys and such with a rain boosted Waterfall. Tentacruel shows its ugly face or maybe Ninetales wants to say hi? You can EQ them to oblivion. Ice punch kills dragons and grass types while brick break is sadly your best option against ferrothorn. The main flaw with this set is that it can´t break through ferrothorn or jellicent but please try this set before bashing it.

Temp V1

Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Waterfall

Well it looks bad but trust me, it´s effective. Now most people expect a specially based Politoed, so you can nail those Blisseys and such with a rain boosted Waterfall. Tentacruel shows its ugly face or maybe Ninetales wants to say hi? You can EQ them to oblivion. Ice punch kills dragons and grass types while brick break is sadly your best option against ferrothorn. The main flaw with this set is that it can´t break through ferrothorn or jellicent but please try this set before bashing it.
I must say I quite like that set, as far as I know very unique and possibly with some uses. The coverage is nice and the element of surprise is potentially invaluable. As far as Jell/Ferro goes I wouldn't worry though as no variant of Toed is very going to do to well against either of them, unless its specs toed vs no SDef ferro. Nice set :)

I have been experimenting with various Pokemon on Gravity teams. Here are a few sets that I think are pretty unique:

(assume Gravity is in play, and assume these wouldn't all be on the same Gravity team)

Reuniclus
@ Leftovers
Magic Guard
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
~ Gravity
~ Focus Blast
~ Psychic
~ Thunder

Doesn't die easily, allowing it to set up Gravity, and can then hit hard with 100% accurate attacks with fantastic coverage.

Milotic
@ Life Orb
Marvel Scale
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Hydro Pump
~ Blizzard
~ Hypnosis
~ Dragon Tail / Recover

Bulky special attacker that can cripple a counter with Hypnosis and then fire off Hydro Pumps and Blizzards. Dragon Tail is great on Gravity teams because you can phaze the enemy Pokemon and rack up damage with Spikes.

Gardevoir
@ Life Orb
Trace
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Psychic
~ Focus Blast
~ Hypnosis
~ Encore / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp

Trace is a great ability in this metagame (copies Intimidate, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Regenerator, etc). Gardevoir hits surprisingly hard with 100% accurate Focus Blast and Psychic, and can support the team with a great support movepool, especially Hypnosis.

EV spreads aren't perfected.

I have been experimenting with various Pokemon on Gravity teams. Here are a few sets that I think are pretty unique:

(assume Gravity is in play, and assume these wouldn't all be on the same Gravity team)

Reuniclus
@ Leftovers
Magic Guard
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
~ Gravity
~ Focus Blast
~ Psychic
~ Thunder

Doesn't die easily, allowing it to set up Gravity, and can then hit hard with 100% accurate attacks with fantastic coverage.
Consider using recover.

Milotic
@ Life Orb
Marvel Scale
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Hydro Pump
~ Blizzard
~ Hypnosis
~ Dragon Tail / Recover

Bulky special attacker that can cripple a counter with Hypnosis and then fire off Hydro Pumps and Blizzards. Dragon Tail is great on Gravity teams because you can phaze the enemy Pokemon and rack up damage with Spikes.
I recommend not using life orb if you want to use it as a bulky semi-fast special attacker. Leftovers seem to be the main item to use, but if you want some more power, mystic water might be usable to boost hydro pumps power by 20%.

Gardevoir
@ Life Orb
Trace
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Psychic
~ Focus Blast
~ Hypnosis
~ Encore / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp

Trace is a great ability in this metagame (copies Intimidate, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Regenerator, etc). Gardevoir hits surprisingly hard with 100% accurate Focus Blast and Psychic, and can support the team with a great support movepool, especially Hypnosis.

EV spreads aren't perfected.
Maybe consider choice scarf and trick as the last move. Gardevoir does lack some speed, which is the main problem for an offensive one.
Otherwise, the set seems fine.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
- Gravity
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

I have tried this in a little bit of battles, and it works out pretty well. I've always liked things like Gravity and Trick Room. As said, Hammer Arm needs a mention > Zen headbutt, and possibly even Ice/ThunderPunch, though Gravity + Earthquake along with those is a bit redundant.

- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Waterfall
252Atk Choice Band Politoed (+Atk) Waterfall in Rain vs 252HP/252Def Leftovers Blissey (+Def): 56% - 66% (406 - 478 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

2hko a Blissey, that's interesting, yus.

252Atk Choice Band Politoed (+Atk) Waterfall in Rain vs 252HP/184Def Toxic Orb Gliscor (+Def): 81% - 96% (288 - 342 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

However, it doesn't even Ohko a common defensive Gliscor w/o Ice Punch

Anyway, Poilitoed gets BellyDrumlol too, and I dont think Choice Band is going to earn enough "surprise kills" to prove it's worth over the Specs set. Good for semi-originality, bad for Ou tier.

Celebi @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4Def (thought I'm about to test the "standard" Deff EV's showdown advised me, just to see)
Bold Nature
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Baton Pass
-Leech Seed/HP Fire

This thing takes hits and statuses like a champ. Everything on my team, and I assume anyone else team, loves the SpDef boost from CMBatonPass, while my Jellicent, Heatran, and MixMoxieMence also heavily benefit from the attack raise. If you're not worried about hazards this thing can set up in Ferrothorns face as well as Forretress, CM Latias that don't have Roar, etc... Works wonders for my team.

Of all of them, the first set is probably "most" effective, in my opinion, though Hp Ground > Ice Beam may be better (dont quote me on that), for coverage purposes. Also, with Stealth Rocks and Substitute, along with agility, I think a Petaya berry could be very useful so that your max damage output can increase (and Agility = Speed, so cool). I'm personally not seeing this pokemon rising to stardom, but I think it has a lot of potential.

Like you said, it can be effective. Proper (can be shortened to pro, if you will) prediction will make this set a lot more useful. Do you run Special Defense due to the advent of Rain teams? Otherwise, especially because you said it was under the sun, Terrakion may be a huge problem.
However, most teams come equipped with a counter, so, that. But, I think either mixed defenses, or to a greater extent defense, is probably going to due a little better. Fighting type are everywhere. MyLittleKeldeo
I think this has good potential the first time you utilize it, though :D

Oh, Moltres. That guy c: Mostly what I said about Articuno, sorry :p Also, even in rain, I would suggest HP Ground, as the main counter will generally be Heatran, and it has better coverage with your other moves. Do you have any replays of this? I dont generally ask, but I wanted to see HP Water at play, and how Moltres adapts to the current metagame.

Tentacruel is pretty darn awesome, to say the least. But, looking pasts it's cool factor, how scary is this guy's 80 base Special Attack?

Even with a scarf, I think Pokemon will still be able to eat it's attacks. And, Hp Fire probably should be the main slash, but that is opinion based. I think reliably killing > Surprise kills, but, if you base a team around him (don't), Tentacruel might net 2 kills, instead of one.

Any logs of this set would be helpful. In theory it looks cool; 100 base speed is awesome :D But, I think even a Swords Dance set would work better :L

Anyway, I have a bad Kingdra set that has led me to many victories on many occasions, due to the diverse moves that I provided. It is very similar to the already posted "Mixed Dragon Dance," however, it was made for a sun team as a counter to Heatran (meaning obligatory Water Stab is nullified), so I had to work my way around it's walling my Kingdra.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 144 Spd / 112 Atk / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Ice Beam

Dragon Dance is definitely physical wall bait, especially when the sun is up. HP Ground, as stated, is there to hit opposing Heatran which have the potential to really hurt sun teams. Hp Fire used to be in this spot, but I never found it as useful. In any case, I believe HP Ground and Ice Beam receive near perfect if not perfect coverage, while Outrage is one of the best Stab moves. This is especially the case after some Dragon Dances.

The Evs are a little arsed, as all I did was swap them around from the "Mixed Dragon Dance" set to see fit to my new set. Max Special attack because Outrage + Dragon Dance, and Dragon Dance boosts speed whilst Life Orb allows for stronger attacks on the special side. Mild Nature allows for maximum special attack, while taking out defense in the process (Mind you, this is made to combat Heatrans, which are generally Special Attackers).

My favourite kind of Pokemon are ones that can potentially hit from both sides. Not only does this make the opponent have to predict better, but it can also confuse them. Kingdra is a really great Mixed attacker, and Dragon Dance helps it achieve maximum confusion with it's special moves.

The only problem I see with excluding Hp Fire, is Ferrothorn. But, with teammates such as Sunny Day Heatran, I think this Kingdra does good to it's name, without making me have to sacrifice a team slot for something "better," for the simple case of it being able to reliably take out opposing Pokemon, rather than just surprise them and then get taken out one hit.
Not having a water attack on Kingdra is just crazy. Ice beam is pretty useless. Outrage already takes dragons and water takes ground types. Ice beam is really only for grass types and every grass type other than Breloom is too bulky. HP ground is even more useless. It doesn't really kill anything.

Kingdra is not made for sun teams. THat's like using venusaur on a sand team.

This is my Deoxy set

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 176 Spd / 80 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam

Psycho boost just destroys unexpected poison and fighting types while ice beam is for ground and Dragonite

Not having a water attack on Kingdra is just crazy. Ice beam is pretty useless. Outrage already takes dragons and water takes ground types. Ice beam is really only for grass types and every grass type other than Breloom is too bulky. HP ground is even more useless. It doesn't really kill anything.

Kingdra is not made for sun teams. THat's like using venusaur on a sand team.

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 176 Spd / 80 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
The loss of Bulk seems unappetizing at first, but I guess it could get some kills. The onsite set is more reliable though, being faster, having better coverage in Flamethrower or Thunderbolt, and having either one of those moves be stronger with a gem.

If Ice Beam is used, I would prefer Ice Gem. But, this would only be implemented if you are super afraid of Latias/Hydreigon..

Obviously Kingdra wasn't "Made for sun teams." He is there because Heatran royally fucks most sun teams. Therefore, Hidden Power Ground is reliable enough to take him out, and it hits Jirachi under the Rain too. Also, Kingdra is a more than decent counter to the oh so popular Rain Teams. Kingdra can be good on any kind of team, and Sun is not excluded. Originally Ice Beam was there to hit Tornadus, and it doesn't do bad at all. As the guy above you (somewhere) said, Hydro Pump can still take things out, I just didn't like it in the sun.

Edit:

Celebi @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4Def
Bold Nature
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Baton Pass
-Leech Seed/HP Fire
Some defensive stats might be helpful, but generally this is a really good Pokemon as is. I wouldn't suggest Bold nature with your current Evs though. You should try Timid. I can see this Pokemon easily getting away from threats and into Checks(counters). Too bad Tornadus is so prominent :p

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Politoed @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 Hp / 64 SAtk / 198 SDef

~ Scald
~ Protect
~ Encore / Toxic
~ Perish Song / Ice Beam

I don't know why there isn't an analysis for this Pokemon. It can take special hits like pro (laughs at bulky Rotom-W's volt-switches) and it has enough bulk to live Thunder from Thundy-T. It works much like the defensive spread, only it can tackle special hits much easier, and since physical walls are common teammates of rain (Tentacreul and Donphan to name a few) specially defensive spread is not a bad option for teams that need something to sponge special hits better.

Shrutgal exactly what special attackers are countered by that Politoed. The physically defensive set it´s so good because it can help to check things like DDNite in a pinch. So some advice about what things specially defensive politoed can counter that gives rain teams problems might help. Also what purpose do those 64 evs serve?

I don't think that Politoed "laughs" at Rotom-W's Volt Switches, as the standard 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Spe Bulky Rotom does 43% min with Volt Switch, and a guaranteeed 2HKO with Thunder / Thunderbolt.

I feel like Perish Song would be a much better option on Politoed over Ice Beam. Being able to hit Dragons is nice, but being able to draw out stuff such as CM Latias and Sub CM Jirachi is great, as these are two common switch ins to Politoed and you can check them better with the Special Defense investment.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Usually Rotom-W is the best thing a team has to hit Toed with and to take Scalds. So when it V-Switches at laughable 46%, the opponent has to send in something else to take scald. Sometimes they have something else, but seriously the burn rate is stunning. The specially defensive spread can toxic Rotom-W too since they sometimes WoW. I forget what the SAtk evs do, but note that scalds in rain do 43% to JIrachi so I think its there to break there subs at +1 or something like that (the spread was given to me by a friend so he did the calcs). The special defense has served me well. Lets just say that Torn-T is usually checked by Toed and sometimes even Thundy-T if at full health (ok, so it doesn't check Thundy-T, but it can get off around half damage, meaning it can only switch in one time thanks to SR). Its just better vs. special attackers in general. Also, I haven't seen too many tbolt Rotom-W on the ladder so I didn't factor that but that would hurt Poli (but thankfully Volt-Switch is usually mandatory).

Lets see, other special attackers. It checks Torn-T for sure. SubCM Jirachi struggle with it a bit more. Encore and Perish combo always helps against those + Thunder +0 is 3HKO I think. Takes Earth Power from Lando easily and can Scald back. Finally, they give Gene the attack boost. So Thunderbolt I believe only does 38%....

Ambipom holding a metronome
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EV: 252Atk/4HP/252SPE

-Agility
-Last Resort

With an agility it will be faster than almost anything and holding a metronone its Last Resort will slowly increase after each attack. The only thing you will have to worry about is something that resists or is immune to normal attacks and losing all your PP.

Lugia holding a chesto berry
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold
EV: 252HP/252DEF/4SPD

-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Aeroblast/Psychic
-Icebeam/Thunder/Earthpower

Calm Mind is there to raise Lugia's Special Attack and Special Defense even higher while Rest is there because a lot of people like to toxic walls like lugia, and with a Chesto he get's a free heal, without wasting two turns to rest. The last two options can be any Special moves to deal with most of Lugia's checks and counters. Also, with the ability pressure he can stall out the enemy's PP.

-Agility
-Last Resort

With an agility it will be faster than almost anything and holding a metronone its Last Resort will slowly increase after each attack. The only thing you will have to worry about is something that resists or is immune to normal attacks and losing all your PP.

Lugia holding a chesto berry
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold
EV: 252HP/252DEF/4SPD

-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Aeroblast/Psychic
-Icebeam/Thunder/Earthpower

Calm Mind is there to raise Lugia's Special Attack and Special Defense even higher while Rest is there because a lot of people like to toxic walls like lugia, and with a Chesto he get's a free heal, without wasting two turns to rest. The last two options can be any Special moves to deal with most of Lugia's checks and counters. Also, with the ability pressure he can stall out the enemy's PP.
@Ambipom
No, just no. There are a total of 14 OU Pokemon that are immune or resistant to Last Resort - that's at least one on most teams. Also, Ambipom is frail as hell and vulnerable to all common priority. It will not be able to both set up and stay alive for long enough to sweep. It isn't that powerful either: On the first attack it does a maximum of 45% to Gliscor, and many other walls do just as well. Once your ploy is revealed, switching to a resist and stalling out Last Resorts 8 PP is not hard. In short, Ambipom is a terrible Pokemon to use in OU these days and this set just makes it worse.

@Lugia
This isn't a thread for discussing Ubers so that has no place here at all. Go to the Uber's forum, I'm sure they have an equivalent thread somewhere.

Stallbro

Slowbro@Lum Berry
Regenerator
- Scald
- Toxic
- Slack Off
- Recycle

With an pseudo-refresh, this thing can be annoying as hell. Toxic could be replaced with Flamethrower if you are running T-spikes.

-Agility
-Last Resort

If you give it a lot of support, then it could work decently, but it's really not a set I would advise using. If you really want a set like that to function optimally, Life orb would be the best item since Ambipom is very frail anyway, it wont have the time to rack many boosts with a Metronome. Jolly Nature is preferred since you outspeed a lot of important threats. Agility really is not really needed because it outspeeds nearly every non-scarfer in the metagame. Moveset wise, a interesting set would be Fake Out/Last Resort/Low Kick/Protect, although it is much more difficult to last resort, you can really wreck a lot things that resist Last resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)