1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Creative (and good) Movesets Mk II (READ THE OP FIRST)

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by sax king, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blurpleberry

Blurpleberry

Empoleon is weak to common Fighting priority so i reccomend slowbro on your team as well to regenerate off the damage.
  2. Arcticblast

Arcticblast
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

Bottom of the page syndrome.
    And of course it's weak to Fighting priority, which (outside of Techniloom) isn't actually that common in the first place. But it's not showing its face around anything that commonly runs a Fighting move anyway. As for the Slowbro suggestion, that many Water-types on a Rain team hasn't been seen since the days of Drizzle + Swift Swim...

That reminds me, I might need another Fighting resist on my team...
  3. Jimbon

Jimbon FAKE TRAIN
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

I'm not sure if this is particularly creative, but I really have not seen anyone else use this.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 168 SDef / 92 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Pain Split
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp

Generally, bulky Rotom doesn't even run defense / special defense investment, but I've found this to be very effective. Given the prevalence of Rain teams in the current metagame, Special Defensive Rotom-W does well against the most common variants of offensive Rain Teams, being able to counter Tornadus-T, and check a number of other common threats such as Keldeo, Scizor, Genesect, Thundurus, Politoed, Tentacruel and Jirachi. Rotom-W is not even 2HKO'd by Tornadus-T's Specs Hurricane after Stealth Rock, which is pretty crazy. It's invested to outspeed Specially Defensive Heatran and offensive Scizor, while also retaining good bulk. If you're looking for a good answer to Rain, then I highly recommend you test this set.
  4. EspeonX

EspeonX

It'd be much better to run Landorus-T or I with the set. It appreciates the hazard damage to finish those walls off.
  5. Boondocker

Boondocker

Reuniclus@Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EV's: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Def
    Modest Nature
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -RECOVER
    -Focus Blast
    -Shadow Ball

Ruins stall with perfrect coverage and can recover unlike the trick room set. Struggles a bit more with offense, but it could be worth it.
  6. Arcticblast

Arcticblast
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

I've used that exact set before, and it just left me incredibly disappointed. I switched to CM+Recover and liked it so much more - the only bad matchup it ever has is versus Sableye/Spiritomb or a phazer (many of whom take massive damage anyway).
  7. Electrolyte

Electrolyte Where's the soul in soldier on?
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Yeah, and it's not as if Slowbro can switch in on Breloom anyway; it's just set up bait, as long as the opponent plays cautiously.

As the author of the WIP Deoxys-D analysis, I noticed that ScarfDeoxys-D works really well.

Deoxys-D @ Choice Scarf
    252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
    Timid nature
    ~TRICK
    ~SPIKES
    ~Taunt
    ~Night Shade / TWave

Yeah, because I hate Espeon just that much. Deoxys-D doesn't mind a Scarf really; and it's quite easy to bluff non-choice by spamming Spikes. Trick is the real gem in this set- crippling:
    CM Espeon
    SpDef Ttar
    CB Scizor

and many others. Superfast Taunt, outspeeds even Tornadus-T. Night Shade hits pretty hard too, but T-Wave is rikier and rewardier (lol)- it tends to cause switches, both using your hazards and allowing you to bluff Lefties even longer.
  8. Doughboy

Doughboy house of champions
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

TrickScarf Deoxys-D has definitely caused aggravation on my opponents side when I have used. However, it is a shame that it can not carry SR in an open spot. I would actually would try to fit in SR over Taunt on the set since TrickScarf act as a pseudo Taunt, forcing an opposing Deoxys-D lead into one move (SR or Taunt to switch out of and try to set up once).
    Code:
    Metagross @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Gravity
    - Meteor Mash
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Earthquake
    Alright so this Metagross is meant to be placed on spike-stacking teams (not full on gravity). Gravity is really excellent for getting the most out of your Spikes and can be extremely effective to wrack up damage quicker. Gravity also serves to force out Skarmory and if you can Rotom-W, thus racking up more damage. Speaking of Rotom-W, Lum Berry is there if there is any attempt to try to burn you. As for the coverage move, I chose Zen Headbutt for secondary STAB and to hit Jellicent, although feel free to recommend a better option
  9. papita

papita

Metagross looks like it was tailor made for Gravity,where it can enjoy almost flawless coverage. I recommend thunderpunch over zen headbutt to hit said Jellicent and Gyarados for SE damage or maybe Hammer arm for ferrothorn and Heatran on a balloon.

Anyway my set:

Politoed (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    - Brick Break
    - Waterfall

Well it looks bad but trust me, it´s effective. Now most people expect a specially based Politoed, so you can nail those Blisseys and such with a rain boosted Waterfall. Tentacruel shows its ugly face or maybe Ninetales wants to say hi? You can EQ them to oblivion. Ice punch kills dragons and grass types while brick break is sadly your best option against ferrothorn. The main flaw with this set is that it can´t break through ferrothorn or jellicent but please try this set before bashing it.
  10. Temp V1

Temp V1 Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down

I must say I quite like that set, as far as I know very unique and possibly with some uses. The coverage is nice and the element of surprise is potentially invaluable. As far as Jell/Ferro goes I wouldn't worry though as no variant of Toed is very going to do to well against either of them, unless its specs toed vs no SDef ferro. Nice set :)
  11. Marzbar

Marzbar

I have been experimenting with various Pokemon on Gravity teams. Here are a few sets that I think are pretty unique:

(assume Gravity is in play, and assume these wouldn't all be on the same Gravity team)

Reuniclus
    @ Leftovers
    Magic Guard
    252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
    ~ Gravity
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Thunder

Doesn't die easily, allowing it to set up Gravity, and can then hit hard with 100% accurate attacks with fantastic coverage.

Milotic
    @ Life Orb
    Marvel Scale
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Blizzard
    ~ Hypnosis
    ~ Dragon Tail / Recover

Bulky special attacker that can cripple a counter with Hypnosis and then fire off Hydro Pumps and Blizzards. Dragon Tail is great on Gravity teams because you can phaze the enemy Pokemon and rack up damage with Spikes.

Gardevoir
    @ Life Orb
    Trace
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Hypnosis
    ~ Encore / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp

Trace is a great ability in this metagame (copies Intimidate, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Regenerator, etc). Gardevoir hits surprisingly hard with 100% accurate Focus Blast and Psychic, and can support the team with a great support movepool, especially Hypnosis.

EV spreads aren't perfected.
  12. LudwiG

LudwiG

Consider using recover.

I recommend not using life orb if you want to use it as a bulky semi-fast special attacker. Leftovers seem to be the main item to use, but if you want some more power, mystic water might be usable to boost hydro pumps power by 20%.

Maybe consider choice scarf and trick as the last move. Gardevoir does lack some speed, which is the main problem for an offensive one.
    Otherwise, the set seems fine.
  13. Marzbar

Marzbar

Good advice, thank you. I like the Scarf + Trick idea for that set.
  14. Shovel

Shovel

I have tried this in a little bit of battles, and it works out pretty well. I've always liked things like Gravity and Trick Room. As said, Hammer Arm needs a mention > Zen headbutt, and possibly even Ice/ThunderPunch, though Gravity + Earthquake along with those is a bit redundant.

252Atk Choice Band Politoed (+Atk) Waterfall in Rain vs 252HP/252Def Leftovers Blissey (+Def): 56% - 66% (406 - 478 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

2hko a Blissey, that's interesting, yus.

252Atk Choice Band Politoed (+Atk) Waterfall in Rain vs 252HP/184Def Toxic Orb Gliscor (+Def): 81% - 96% (288 - 342 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

However, it doesn't even Ohko a common defensive Gliscor w/o Ice Punch

Anyway, Poilitoed gets BellyDrumlol too, and I dont think Choice Band is going to earn enough "surprise kills" to prove it's worth over the Specs set. Good for semi-originality, bad for Ou tier.
  15. Redjar

Redjar

[​IMG]

Celebi @ Leftovers
    252 HP / 252 Spe / 4Def (thought I'm about to test the "standard" Deff EV's showdown advised me, just to see)
    Bold Nature
    -Calm Mind
    -Giga Drain
    -Baton Pass
    -Leech Seed/HP Fire

This thing takes hits and statuses like a champ. Everything on my team, and I assume anyone else team, loves the SpDef boost from CMBatonPass, while my Jellicent, Heatran, and MixMoxieMence also heavily benefit from the attack raise. If you're not worried about hazards this thing can set up in Ferrothorns face as well as Forretress, CM Latias that don't have Roar, etc... Works wonders for my team.
  16. nygerman

nygerman

Not having a water attack on Kingdra is just crazy. Ice beam is pretty useless. Outrage already takes dragons and water takes ground types. Ice beam is really only for grass types and every grass type other than Breloom is too bulky. HP ground is even more useless. It doesn't really kill anything.

Kingdra is not made for sun teams. THat's like using venusaur on a sand team.

This is my Deoxy set

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 176 Spd / 80 HP / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Psycho Boost
    - Ice Beam

Psycho boost just destroys unexpected poison and fighting types while ice beam is for ground and Dragonite
  17. Shovel

Shovel

The loss of Bulk seems unappetizing at first, but I guess it could get some kills. The onsite set is more reliable though, being faster, having better coverage in Flamethrower or Thunderbolt, and having either one of those moves be stronger with a gem.

If Ice Beam is used, I would prefer Ice Gem. But, this would only be implemented if you are super afraid of Latias/Hydreigon..

Obviously Kingdra wasn't "Made for sun teams." He is there because Heatran royally fucks most sun teams. Therefore, Hidden Power Ground is reliable enough to take him out, and it hits Jirachi under the Rain too. Also, Kingdra is a more than decent counter to the oh so popular Rain Teams. Kingdra can be good on any kind of team, and Sun is not excluded. Originally Ice Beam was there to hit Tornadus, and it doesn't do bad at all. As the guy above you (somewhere) said, Hydro Pump can still take things out, I just didn't like it in the sun.

Edit:
    Some defensive stats might be helpful, but generally this is a really good Pokemon as is. I wouldn't suggest Bold nature with your current Evs though. You should try Timid. I can see this Pokemon easily getting away from threats and into Checks(counters). Too bad Tornadus is so prominent :p
  18. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.

Politoed @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 Hp / 64 SAtk / 198 SDef

~ Scald
    ~ Protect
    ~ Encore / Toxic
    ~ Perish Song / Ice Beam

I don't know why there isn't an analysis for this Pokemon. It can take special hits like pro (laughs at bulky Rotom-W's volt-switches) and it has enough bulk to live Thunder from Thundy-T. It works much like the defensive spread, only it can tackle special hits much easier, and since physical walls are common teammates of rain (Tentacreul and Donphan to name a few) specially defensive spread is not a bad option for teams that need something to sponge special hits better.
  19. papita

papita

Shrutgal exactly what special attackers are countered by that Politoed. The physically defensive set it´s so good because it can help to check things like DDNite in a pinch. So some advice about what things specially defensive politoed can counter that gives rain teams problems might help. Also what purpose do those 64 evs serve?
  20. Jimbon

Jimbon FAKE TRAIN
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

I don't think that Politoed "laughs" at Rotom-W's Volt Switches, as the standard 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Spe Bulky Rotom does 43% min with Volt Switch, and a guaranteeed 2HKO with Thunder / Thunderbolt.

I feel like Perish Song would be a much better option on Politoed over Ice Beam. Being able to hit Dragons is nice, but being able to draw out stuff such as CM Latias and Sub CM Jirachi is great, as these are two common switch ins to Politoed and you can check them better with the Special Defense investment.
  21. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.

Usually Rotom-W is the best thing a team has to hit Toed with and to take Scalds. So when it V-Switches at laughable 46%, the opponent has to send in something else to take scald. Sometimes they have something else, but seriously the burn rate is stunning. The specially defensive spread can toxic Rotom-W too since they sometimes WoW. I forget what the SAtk evs do, but note that scalds in rain do 43% to JIrachi so I think its there to break there subs at +1 or something like that (the spread was given to me by a friend so he did the calcs). The special defense has served me well. Lets just say that Torn-T is usually checked by Toed and sometimes even Thundy-T if at full health (ok, so it doesn't check Thundy-T, but it can get off around half damage, meaning it can only switch in one time thanks to SR). Its just better vs. special attackers in general. Also, I haven't seen too many tbolt Rotom-W on the ladder so I didn't factor that but that would hurt Poli (but thankfully Volt-Switch is usually mandatory).

Lets see, other special attackers. It checks Torn-T for sure. SubCM Jirachi struggle with it a bit more. Encore and Perish combo always helps against those + Thunder +0 is 3HKO I think. Takes Earth Power from Lando easily and can Scald back. Finally, they give Gene the attack boost. So Thunderbolt I believe only does 38%....
  22. preserve

preserve

Ambipom holding a metronome
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EV: 252Atk/4HP/252SPE

-Agility
    -Last Resort

With an agility it will be faster than almost anything and holding a metronone its Last Resort will slowly increase after each attack. The only thing you will have to worry about is something that resists or is immune to normal attacks and losing all your PP.

Lugia holding a chesto berry
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Bold
    EV: 252HP/252DEF/4SPD

-Calm Mind
    -Rest
    -Aeroblast/Psychic
    -Icebeam/Thunder/Earthpower

Calm Mind is there to raise Lugia's Special Attack and Special Defense even higher while Rest is there because a lot of people like to toxic walls like lugia, and with a Chesto he get's a free heal, without wasting two turns to rest. The last two options can be any Special moves to deal with most of Lugia's checks and counters. Also, with the ability pressure he can stall out the enemy's PP.
  23. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

@Ambipom
    No, just no. There are a total of 14 OU Pokemon that are immune or resistant to Last Resort - that's at least one on most teams. Also, Ambipom is frail as hell and vulnerable to all common priority. It will not be able to both set up and stay alive for long enough to sweep. It isn't that powerful either: On the first attack it does a maximum of 45% to Gliscor, and many other walls do just as well. Once your ploy is revealed, switching to a resist and stalling out Last Resorts 8 PP is not hard. In short, Ambipom is a terrible Pokemon to use in OU these days and this set just makes it worse.

@Lugia
    This isn't a thread for discussing Ubers so that has no place here at all. Go to the Uber's forum, I'm sure they have an equivalent thread somewhere.
  24. Ames

Ames

[​IMG]

Stallbro

Slowbro@Lum Berry
    Regenerator
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Slack Off
    - Recycle

With an pseudo-refresh, this thing can be annoying as hell. Toxic could be replaced with Flamethrower if you are running T-spikes.
  25. STEELDRAGON

STEELDRAGON

If you give it a lot of support, then it could work decently, but it's really not a set I would advise using. If you really want a set like that to function optimally, Life orb would be the best item since Ambipom is very frail anyway, it wont have the time to rack many boosts with a Metronome. Jolly Nature is preferred since you outspeed a lot of important threats. Agility really is not really needed because it outspeeds nearly every non-scarfer in the metagame. Moveset wise, a interesting set would be Fake Out/Last Resort/Low Kick/Protect, although it is much more difficult to last resort, you can really wreck a lot things that resist Last resort
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)