Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, clefable is better. And you think it's shitty but itc you're completely wrong, as i see it
From what perspective of yours could that Alakazam set possibly be good? The speed that Zam has isn't getting you anywhere especially when you are univested in SpA and all you have is unstabbed dazzling gleam. You aren't going to break any stall team with it because a. it can't get past Unaware Quagsire since Dazzling Gleam is so weak b. It can't even get past Chansey at +6 SpA lol

+6 0 SpA Alakazam Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 190-224 (26.9 - 31.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

It is a crap set because it is so piss weak. Even with Psyshock is still can't buy opportunities to set up. Overall it is completely outclassed by Clefable with the moveset you are running. More bulk, power (STAB+Life Orb+Moonblast higher base power), and more resists with the same exact set. If you are interested in winning more use Clefable.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rocks
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Superpower / Earthquake / Crunch

Yes this is standard Lead Tyranitar from Gen 5, yes some people see it as more of a gimmick this Gen, but it gets the job done. Let me explain why this set is so effective in the current metagame; firstly when competent players see a Tyranitar on the opposing team they would be looking at three common sets; DDance Mega Tar, Defensive Tar & Choice Band / Choice Scarf Tar. This set aims to lure counters to the previously mentioned sets and make the opponent suffer for assuming standard Tyranitar. The EVs allow it to outrun Neutral nature Bisharp and OHKO with Superpower, sash intact (hopefully), you also out run defensive threats such as Gliscor, Lando-T & Skarmory, (the former two depending on the set they run) dealing massive damage to all three. Lead/Lure Tar also functions as a decent lure for offensive steel type Pokemon, scoring the OHKO on Mega Scizor, a 2HKO against Mega Mawile and dealing decent damage to Aegislash (who won't be switching into Tar to begin with).

The choice in final move comes down to preference, I personally enjoy out running Bisharp and scoring the OHKO (as well as hurting opposing Tyranitar & Terrakion), but you could prefer threatening a broader range of Pokemon with Earthquake, such as Heatran & Tentacruel and Crunch scores the 2HKO on Deo-D and OHKO on Deo-S (after Sand Storm damage).

Running this Tyranitar also has the added benefit of freeing up a teams Mega slot.

This set excels in taking apart defensive threats, and luring offensive threats, that may cause trouble for its team.

Calcs:

Gliscor:
252 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 404-476 (114.1 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Landorus-T:
252 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 380-448 (99.4 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Skarmory:
252 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 260-306 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Ferrothorn:
252 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
Terrakion (after sash and -1 drop from Close Combat):
4 Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 364-430 (112.6 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Garchomp:
252 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 364-432 (101.6 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Excadrill:
4 Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 338-398 (93.3 - 109.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Mega Scizor:
252 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 384-456 (111.6 - 132.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mega Mawile:
252 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 202-238 (66.4 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Tyranitar is still smashed by Fighting type Pokemon, for that reason Pokemon that can easily take advantage of, or threaten, Fighting type Pokemon are great team mates. Talonflame, Gyarados, Landorus-I, Landorus-T, Mega Charizard-Y, Mega Pinsir & the Lati Twins all have great offensive and defensive synergy with this set. Most teams enjoy the fact that this set can weaken opposing steel types & stall teams to an extent, capitalizing on that fact.

Disadvantages to this set include, becoming massive set up bait for BD Azumarill, and pretty much all water types in general. The Lati Twins, Mega Manectric, Breloom are all great partners that threaten water type Pokemon.

Lastly, defensive defoggers such as Mandibuzz, Zapdos & Togekiss, don't really give a crap about this set, for this reason running an offensive Pokemon that can smash through these birds is advantageous. Terrakion & Kyurem-B come to mind, both of which enjoy the removal of key threats that Tyranitar lures and KOs.

Replays:

Here's another set I've used in OU that has caused rage quits and fooled many opponents, even one time winning an entire match.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 152 Def / 252 HP / 104 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Cosmic Power
- Toxic
- Stored Power

Clefable's balanced defenses reach a high of 968. Basically, I have to fool my opponent into thinking she has Magic Guard, and she keeps using Cosmic Power while the opponent is powering up. Use Wish when health is about half way down and toxic as a stall tactic. Stored Power does decent damage when defenses are nearly maxed out. This downside with this set is no fairy STAB and vulnerability to dying from being badly poisoned. Best if Clefable gets burned if any status takes place. Drapion and Bisharp are hard counters.

Reprobate, I use a very similar set except with Smooth Rock to support Sand Rush Excadrill and the moves Stone Edge/Ice Beam/Fire Blast.

Stone Edge 2hkos some of those defoggers you mentioned and ohkos Talonflame through a Burn or Roost. I've also have found Superpower kind of redundant since Fire Blast already kills Bisharp after a round of LO recoil and Lead Terrakion tend to run Focus Sash as well, so I really only found it particularly useful against opposing Tyranitar. I'll probably include my Ttar set in a post that I'm working on.

Reprobate, I use a very similar set except with Smooth Rock to support Sand Rush Excadrill and the moves Stone Edge/Ice Beam/Fire Blast.

Stone Edge 2hkos some of those defoggers you mentioned and ohkos Talonflame through a Burn or Roost. I've also have found Superpower kind of redundant since Fire Blast already kills Bisharp after a round of LO recoil and Lead Terrakion tend to run Focus Sash as well, so I really only found it particularly useful against opposing Tyranitar. I'll probably include my Ttar set in a post that I'm working on.
Great point, I can definitely see the merit of using stone edge as coverage alongside fire blast and ice beam. My main argument for superpower is it's superior accuracy which can let your reliably ko neutral bisharp 100% of the time, it also lets you hit the blobs for considerable damage, though chansey isn't really bothered. I don't always lead with this set so it's still a great lure for non-sash terrakion if you manage to keep hazards from your side of the field. I will do the calcs for the blobs when I'm not on my mobile.

Smooth Rock IMO is an underrated item in general, sand rush excadrill is a great poke in this meta. As I said it comes down to preference and I prefer the added insurance of surviving a hit and dealing a hit in return, and if worse comes to worst guaranteeing stealth rocks are set.

Calcs:
252/252 Blissey:
4 Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 404-476 (56.5 - 66.6%)
4/252 Blissey:
4 Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 404-476 (61.9 - 73%)
252/252 Chansey:
4 Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 294-348 (41.7 - 49.4%)
4/252 Chansey:
4 Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 294-348 (45.7 - 54.2%)
Not bad, considering they're pretty much forced to recover, gaining momentum for Tyranitar's team.

Last edited:
Charizard X tanks hits and Sweeps with Dragon Dance. Charizard Y brings Sunlight to the battlefield. Sometimes, however, Charizard decides not to hold it's Megastone. This is what happens then.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Miss
- Dragon Pulse/Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
This is Solar Power Specs 'Zard. This thing hits insanely hard in sunshine and is propably the hardest thing to switch into in OU. Its Special Attack is higher than Deoxys-A's, not counting the Choice Specs boost.
Fire Blast decimates everything, even Chansey fails to the power of a Sun and Solar power boosted Fire Blast. Litterary everything not being a Weather Changer bar Hippo and Obamasnow, AV Goodra, extermly bulky Quad-Resist or a Flash Fire Pokemon is 2HKO'd by Fire Blast after Stealth Rocks. Focus Miss deals with everything mentioned above bar AV Goodra. The Weather Changers are 2HKO'd or OHKO'd outside of Sun. Dragon Pulse is for AV Goodra and bulkier Kingdras, if you don't want to rely on Focus Miss' accuraty. Both are 2HKO'd or OHKO'd respectivly. Solar Beam on the other hand is when you want to net that OHKO on the specially bulkiest Suicune, while still nailing Kingdra, but Dragon pulse is usually prefered, because Suicune is 2HKO'd most of the time by Fire Blast anyway. Flamethrower is when you don't want to use Fire Blast.
Charizard likes shining beetles flying around it's flame. Volbeat can set up sun really quickly, while also being able to pass substitutes to Charizard. Passing substitustes to Charizard is insanely good, the shield helps it to decimate even more stuff. Charizard enjoys Defog Support. And Stealth Rock support. Sticky Web Support is also nice.

Calcs. Resist. Quad Resist.
I remember using specszard in 5th gen ou on the worst possible sun team ever (it had a fire gem hp fire leafeon just fyi lol). It was fun to 2hko chansey and all but it was literal shit.

Don't run a zard withou his stones.
Huh figures. Zard finally befriended rocks

Here's another set I've used in OU that has caused rage quits and fooled many opponents, even one time winning an entire match.

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 152 Def / 252 HP / 104 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Cosmic Power
- Toxic
- Stored Power

Clefable's balanced defenses reach a high of 968. Basically, I have to fool my opponent into thinking she has Magic Guard, and she keeps using Cosmic Power while the opponent is powering up. Use Wish when health is about half way down and toxic as a stall tactic. Stored Power does decent damage when defenses are nearly maxed out. This downside with this set is no fairy STAB and vulnerability to dying from being badly poisoned. Best if Clefable gets burned if any status takes place. Drapion and Bisharp are hard counters.
I've actually tried this set before but with moonlight. And I have to say that the power is really lacking in stored power even at +6. Moon blast is a better choice on cosmic power sets because of the initial power. STAB makes the power similar to a +6/+6 stored power, as well as the potential attack drop further helps your physical defense. Stored power should only really be considered on calm mind sets as that has vastly increased power in comparison.

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 def
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- moonlight
- Moonblast

Despite the fact that it look like a terrible set, this unorthodox but amazing clef set is able to handle almost every physical attacker ever. It can handle mega pinsir, mega gyara, mega ttar, etc. Of course, it can't switch in to Mega pinsir, but on the revenge kill it twaves and folloews it up with a reflect, allowing it to handle the situation pretty well.

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 def
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- moonlight
- Moonblast

Despite the fact that it look like a terrible set, this unorthodox but amazing clef set is able to handle almost every physical attacker ever. It can handle mega pinsir, mega gyara, mega ttar, etc. Of course, it can't switch in to Mega pinsir, but on the revenge kill it twaves and folloews it up with a reflect, allowing it to handle the situation pretty well.
There have been some discussion about Reflect/Light Screen Clefable. I think it's cool that Clef is so flexible and can pull off this set. However, Moonlight is a unreliable form of recovery as it doesn't heal much in the rain or, more importantly, sand. Softboiled is the better option.

Softboiled is incompatible with unaware on clef, so it has to resort to utilizing a less-than-optimal healing move. using softboiled would mean that I would have to use magic guard, which won't work on this set because its meant to handle setup sweepers, not die to them. it's definitely worth it, even if I have to use a healing move that has its power reduced in sand and has 8 pp. imo, unaware is better than mg on all clef sets. also, I never advocated for a dual screens clef, I advocated for a reflect clef. dual screens clef sucks.

Softboiled is incompatible with unaware on clef, so it has to resort to utilizing a less-than-optimal healing move. using softboiled would mean that I would have to use magic guard, which won't work on this set because its meant to handle setup sweepers, not die to them. it's definitely worth it, even if I have to use a healing move that has its power reduced in sand and has 8 pp. imo, unaware is better than mg on all clef sets. also, I never advocated for a dual screens clef, I advocated for a reflect clef. dual screens clef sucks.
Unaware is not incompatible. You just need to use an ability capsule.

Here's a set that I've found to be effective, mainly on offensive teams.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Destiny Bond

So the idea is really to use him as a standard fast and powerful attacker, but with a few tricks. Firstly, Focus Sash gives you an insurance against Pokemon trying to sweep or those that would normally KO Gengar and can often let Gengar fire off two moves rather than one. Obviously, the Sash is broken by rocks, so a defogger or spinner is helpful, but these are becoming mandatory on so many teams now anyway.

Secondly, Destiny Bond. This move works well in conjunction with the sash as well as without. Gengar will often take around 70% from neutral damage hits and as Destiny Bond is pretty rare, it can let you take out the opposing Pokemon as well and is easy to pull off with Gengar's speed stat. It can also take out more defensively minded Pokemon such as Vaporeon who Gengar would struggle to get past. Vaporeon will normally attack with Scald at one point and predicting this could potentially remove a problem Pokemon from the opponents team. Also Destiny Bond works well if you can predict a Sucker Punch as you can attack freely the next move or the opponents Pokemon is taken down, so they either have to switch out at which point you get a free attack, or they sacrifice their Pokemon.

One final note is that the set still functions well as a good special attacker even if the sash or Destiny Bond are not used.

I posted this in the Heatran page but forgot to add it here too. I have really been impressed by the Sub-Wisp Heatran which I drew the inspiration from Sub-Wisp Gengar:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic

Heatran's set resistances forces a lot of switches that it easily gets a Substitute with no problem. Coincidentally, none of its common switch-ins appreciate a burn/toxic at all, so you burn them, and cripple them for the rest of the match. From there, you can either stall them down or switch out to something to set-up. Modest 252 Heatran hits extremely hard with Fire Blast, and is especially difficult to switch into when it is behind a sub. My personal partner of choice in such case would be Gyarados, who set up on all of Heatran's common switch-ins with impunity once they are burnt.

Here's my personally-tailored Mew set; it might not work as well on other teams, but it fits into mine seamlessly:

Mew @ Wide Lens/Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Atk / 148 HP / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Zen Headbutt
- Superpower/Drain Punch
- Knock Off

This set excels at crippling physical attackers and manhandling stall. The 108 Spd EVs let it outspeed Max Speed Jolly Bisharp, so you can always get in a Will-O-Miss safely. Sucker punch will fail, and after a Wisp, Knock Off only does about 40% or so. I use a wide lens to increase the accuracy of Wisp, but mainly to prevent Zen Headbutt from ever missing. After the Wide Lens boost, Zen Headbutt's accuracy becomes 99%, so it's a safety net there, although life orb can be used for a little extra oomph.

The moveset lets you utterly destroy Chansey. Knock Off + Superpower = No more blob.

Also, Mega Venusaur:
252+ Atk Mew Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 68 Def Mega Venusaur: 188-224 (51.6 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So, what this set does is handle two polar opposite threats very well. That being said, it's fairly frail and not extraordinarily fast, so a good physical wall like Mega Venusaur or Skarmory makes an ideal partner for this set.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it also really messes up DeoSharp leads, as can be seen here:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-118923437

Last edited:
Alakazam with leftovers, and magic guard
- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dazzling Gleam
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Timid nature

The Timid nature grants Alakazam just enough speed to outspeed pokémon that are strong against it, like gengar or Zoroark. This bulky Alakazam can boost up its defense with Barrier, surprising people and adding up nice bulk. Calm Mind raises not only the Special Defense, but also boosts up the power of your damaging move, Dazzling Gleam. You could use Psychic instead of Dazzling Gleam for the STAB but since Dazzling Gleam hits all sorts of types with all sorts of abilities, i found out that this works well. Recover is simply to recover your HP after you set-up your bulk

This set might sound very dumb, but works.
Why not use any of the following, that can run that exact same set or similar better: Slowbro, Slowking, Mew, Togekiss, Clefable, Sylveon, Florges, Celebi, Reuniclus; or anything else with a useable HP or Def/spdef stat? Many of these things get Acid Armor or Iron Defense, which is way better than Barrier. (though, I'd prefer to have a stab move over a def boosting move) If it's Magic Guard you want, just use Reuniclus or Clefable.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/Anything

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower/Shadow Ball/Anything

Both of these sets outclass yours tremendously.

I'm probably gonna get a lot of pushback for this, but here goes nothing.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

That's right, Scarf WoW Rotom. The most effective part of this set is the pure unpredictability. Say the opponent leads with, say, a Mienshao. They outspeed, right? Just go for U-Turn and swap out into your Gastrodon. But wait, your Rotom went first. And it burnt your Mienshao, leaving it useless for the rest of the battle.
Another situation. They lead with Talonflame, or Staraptor. Again, just outspeed and Hydro Pump/Volt Switch to kill.
Now the most notable problem with this is of course the fact that locking yourself into a status move is never really a good idea. This set pairs up well with Pokemon like Quagsire or Clefable, that can easily come in on Pokemon that would want to set up on your Rotom-W and wall them.
Now unfortunately, after your first burn your trick (heh get it?) will be revealed. That's why with Trick you can get rid of your Scarf, potentially crippling one of your opponents Pokemon in the process, and you can function as a regular Rotom-W.

I'm probably gonna get a lot of pushback for this, but here goes nothing.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

That's right, Scarf WoW Rotom. The most effective part of this set is the pure unpredictability. Say the opponent leads with, say, a Mienshao. They outspeed, right? Just go for U-Turn and swap out into your Gastrodon. But wait, your Rotom went first. And it burnt your Mienshao, leaving it useless for the rest of the battle.
Another situation. They lead with Talonflame, or Staraptor. Again, just outspeed and Hydro Pump/Volt Switch to kill.
Now the most notable problem with this is of course the fact that locking yourself into a status move is never really a good idea. This set pairs up well with Pokemon like Quagsire or Clefable, that can easily come in on Pokemon that would want to set up on your Rotom-W and wall them.
Now unfortunately, after your first burn your trick (heh get it?) will be revealed. That's why with Trick you can get rid of your Scarf, potentially crippling one of your opponents Pokemon in the process, and you can function as a regular Rotom-W.
As far as I know, this is neither creative nor underrated

I hope that this isn't considered a gimmick, as I know that it is probably not my best bet, as the ev's are not as tailored as maybe they should be, but it might work. The premise is, I have a somewhat bulky offense team (SubPunch M-Mawile and DDNite form an offensive core together, with lead Tar (I'm thinking probably Unnerve so as to not break multiscalse) and cleric Clefable), but it is rather weak to Chomp, both Scarf and LO, so I put together

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
It is 2HKO'd about 3 percent of the time by a Scarfchomp, but it is 2HKO'd 67 percent by LO. Recommendations?

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Power-up Punch/Force Palm
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

I find this to be the best possible set for Breloom to stand out in OU. 4 attacks boosted by Technician. No Spore! With the sleep clause in effect and opponents switching to Espeon or Ferrothorn or using Taunt hoping to prevent spore, it is better to attack right away. I love the Power-up Punch + Mach Punch combo. It deals more damage than Swords Dance + Mach Punch in two turns. Force Palm is Breloom's best STAB with a base power of 135 and 30% chance of paralysis is good. Focus Sash is a must for Breloom since it's too often a victim of OHKO's. Due to the commonality of entry hazards, Breloom is a good offensive lead that can seriously damage Politoed or Hippodown lead, punch through Smeargle or Ferrothorn, or take out Talonflame or Charizard Y on turn one with Rock Tomb unless hax strikes. For the majority of my matches using this Breloom set, it has proven to be reliable and always contribute to hurting opposing team.

Last edited:
I hope that this isn't considered a gimmick, as I know that it is probably not my best bet, as the ev's are not as tailored as maybe they should be, but it might work. The premise is, I have a somewhat bulky offense team (SubPunch M-Mawile and DDNite form an offensive core together, with lead Tar (I'm thinking probably Unnerve so as to not break multiscalse) and cleric Clefable), but it is rather weak to Chomp, both Scarf and LO, so I put together

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
It is 2HKO'd about 3 percent of the time by a Scarfchomp, but it is 2HKO'd 67 percent by LO. Recommendations?
When seeking for a counter for Garchomp, Landorus-T and Mandibuzz are generally more effective. However, if you are keen on using Azumarill, it's better off using a standard Sitrus + BD set (only 124 HP EVs is needed to prevent the 2HKO). It hits about equally hard, takes about the same damage from Garchomp factoring Sitrus, is less situational, and can switch moves.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
Azumarill needs to invest fully in Attack in order to have enough power to really hurt stuff. Due to the way Huge Power works, in that every additional Attack point in Azu's actual stat equates to two extra points with the ability taking into account, there is a massive difference in the Attack stat between having 4 EVs and having 252 EVs. With only 4 EVs and an Adamant nature, it only reaches a rather mediocre 300 Attack stat, compared with the incredible 436 Attack stat possible with full investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)