1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Dedicated Tournament Server - SPL

Discussion in 'Smogon Premier League' started by Oglemi, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moony

Moony

Moony
    Donkey likes this.
  2. Zebraiken

Zebraiken seize the day
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnus

MarceloDK likes this.
  3. King

King

jasonpwn
  4. Furai

Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

5. Emvee

Emvee

Emvee = 3MV33

I am an SPL Player :]
  6. DAVIDpwns

DAVIDpwns

7. namehtmas

namehtmas

8. Sturdynips

Sturdynips
    is a Pre-Contributor

Sturdynips
  9. Kyros_

Kyros_

Oh, my Smogon username is an already taken alt on PS,of course lol...i already saw that my alteralt Kyrosss is in the granted users so i just wrote this to confirm my identity so yeah..yay
  10. badabing

badabing hevy hangs da hood,,

11. Erick17

Erick17

12. BlankZero

BlankZero
    is a Tutor

blank_zero
  13. malefic

malefic cheers
    is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

malefic (it's my existing ps! account)
  14. jumpluff

jumpluff you stare right through me
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I know I'm not the only user who is bothered by this, or I wouldn't bring it up; sorry for being unfun and all especially seeing as I'm not playing, but I'd like to raise the issue of spectators speculating turn-by-turn on the game. Specifically, surprise sets, strats, moves, telling the players what to do. It can actually give away shit that the player may not have thought of as a possibility, and a lot of people have been using unique and unpredictable sets this week. Some people are imo skirting the line between joking and ghosting in the chat as well. At the very least it's extremely annoying and I wish people would refrain from it, even if we can't make it a guideline.

Thoughts?
    sandshrewz, Magcargo, VN. and 25 others like this.
  15. yondie

yondie I feel a little bit, like, I'm the Braveheart of creativity.
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past WCoP Winner

Agreed, I also think that the dedicated server hasn't really stopped the battle chat from being pretty atrocious anyways. I'm not opposed to completely silencing the game chat except for the two battlers. People can spam in #spl.
    VN., GaryTheGengar, cbt and 5 others like this.
  16. jumpluff

jumpluff you stare right through me
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I think the time we had modchat % or ★ (players and drivers+ only ones allowed to talk), the games were a lot nicer. Plus the replays are way easier to read without unruliness and 10203520359 people whining for timer on every turn. Also, it's easy to lock one spammy individual, but ten people talking can contribute way more noise than that without being unreasonable by themselves. I know I've chatted a lot in the battles and find it fun personally and I kinda think it'd be a shame to have to get rid of the chat, but you're right in that there is #spl and, moreover, there's also the lobby, which on most screens will be placed to the side of the battle and nobody should be bothered by that being full of chat as long as it's not otherwise objectionable shit.
    cbt, Funkasaurus, BKC and 4 others like this.
  17. Soul Fly

Soul Fly IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
    is a Contributor to Smogon

why not just set auto-ignore spectators as a hard default for the players. This way nothing is ruined for the 2 people playing, and people can have all the shittalking. this very ideally mimics any real spectator sport.
  18. Dekzeh

Dekzeh It's the sound of the world ending.
    is a Pre-Contributoris a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

The point of the server is that we could infract users who do such things (telling players what do/directly influentiating the battles, being dicks in general, etc). But sadly moderators are not taking any kind of action and instead all they're doing is mute everyone, which is not the way to go.

SPL is mainly a spectator tourney, imo, and it should stay as so. Just remove the cancerious users, infract them on forums, remove their voice on the server, but don't stop everyone from having a nice conversation in the chat :]
  19. kleine

kleine

Allowing ten people to talk in a match (even if they're not trolling/ghosting) exacerbates the problem of some SPL matches taking too long, partly because the talking is distracting to some players, and also because the talking forces the players to waste more time scrolling through the log if they need to reference a previous turn or if they wish to copy the log into a text editor to quickly count PP without having to use Ctrl+F.

Enforcing modchat in the matches would not make the matches any less fun for the live spectators, who need only move their cursor to the chat box several centimeters to the right to comment on the match. As jumpluff pointed out, the replays would also be (much) easier to read through for those who don't watch the matches live.
    Harsha likes this.
  20. Dekzeh

Dekzeh It's the sound of the world ending.
    is a Pre-Contributoris a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Moot point, players can ignore expectators in battles, theres an option for that, they can't ignore the spectators talking shit in the Lobby, though, which is your suggestion ?_? And does anyone really read the logs in replays? You can tell 100% whats going just by looking at the screen.
  21. kleine

kleine

They can easily ignore the lobby spectators--they just need to leave the lobby. As for replays, some people may want to review their/others' matches and find mistakes; rewinding the replays to a previous turn takes much longer than simply scrolling through the log manually.
    Harsha likes this.
  22. Harlot

Harlot

Harlotttt
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  23. col49

col49 unpolished
    is a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

24. Monte Cristo

Monte Cristo Adrian Marin BH: For the first time- I'm not using stall :o
    is a Pre-Contributor

Mine's OiawesomeDG, I know I'm irrelevant as fuck when it comes to tours on the forums but I'll give being interested in tours a shot I guess

edit: I know how promos work so I'm assuming you guys can promo me on the serv if I just leave my account on over work days and nights so just look for OiawesomeDG on the serv
  25. Calloflochie

Calloflochie mfw I see chimpact's subscriber count
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

I am Calloflochie on the server.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)