Pokémon Delphox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing a lot of really gimmicky items being used on Magician Delphox and I'm yet to see anyone bring up Fire Gem or even Psychic Gem for that matter. Has this been tested? It seems like it could be really potent, doing huge damage and replacing your item.

I skimmed through about 8 pages and didn't see much on it so I'm very sorry if this has been brought up already.

I'm seeing a lot of really gimmicky items being used on Magician Delphox and I'm yet to see anyone bring up Fire Gem or even Psychic Gem for that matter. Has this been tested? It seems like it could be really potent, doing huge damage and replacing your item.

I skimmed through about 8 pages and didn't see much on it so I'm very sorry if this has been brought up already.
Those gems, afaik, aren't released. Only the Normal Gem has been so perhaps that's why.

Real thoughts: as long as Victini exists, Delphox is a sorry joke. Her coverage options are just pitiful :(
But yeah, Heatran hurts her too. It's just that there's no reason to run Delphox over Victini (OK, maybe if you want to steal Life Orbs from the opponent, but I'd rather use Knock Off for that). If it falls to RU, it might be decent in a FWG core with Slowking and Tangrowth, but it has to compete with fellow Fire-types such as Moltres, and fellow Psychic-types such as Slowking and Gardevoir. If it falls all the way to NU, it'll at least have a way through Absol and Skuntank, though it won't be able to take any hits from Sawk or Primeape, and there's no good Spinners in NU.

It's sad because Delphox probably won't be great in any of the tiers it might fall into. At least it can get rid of opponents' items, but so can Knock Off.

If it falls all the way to NU, it'll at least have a way through Absol and Skuntank, though it won't be able to take any hits from Sawk or Primeape, and there's no good Spinners in NU.
There is a 0% chance that Absol will be NU this gen. Minor nitpick, but yeah.

But yeah, Heatran hurts her too. It's just that there's no reason to run Delphox over Victini (OK, maybe if you want to steal Life Orbs from the opponent, but I'd rather use Knock Off for that). If it falls to RU, it might be decent in a FWG core with Slowking and Tangrowth, but it has to compete with fellow Fire-types such as Moltres, and fellow Psychic-types such as Slowking and Gardevoir. If it falls all the way to NU, it'll at least have a way through Absol and Skuntank, though it won't be able to take any hits from Sawk or Primeape, and there's no good Spinners in NU.

It's sad because Delphox probably won't be great in any of the tiers it might fall into. At least it can get rid of opponents' items, but so can Knock Off.
Absol and Gardevoir are going to be UU this gen, unless there's made a "Pokemon with Mega Forms are allowed in lower tiers so long as they don't have their stone" rule.

Absol and Gardevoir are going to be UU this gen, unless there's made a "Pokemon with Mega Forms are allowed in lower tiers so long as they don't have their stone" rule.
I would not be so sure about that. Absol, probably at least UU. Gardevoir has cool things going for it, but its physical frailty holds it back.

Also, if Mega Absol/Gardevoir gets banned from RU or UU, the base form will probably drop to a lower tier. See: Kangaskhanite ban. So there's no telling where they will end up just yet.

There is plenty of reasons to use Delphox over Victini. Delphox is slightly faster and has more sp. attack. Unless I plane on using Victini as a physical attacker(like I really need more of those), I'll take the fox any day.

There is plenty of reasons to use Delphox over Victini. Delphox is slightly faster and has more sp. attack. Unless I plane on using Victini as a physical attacker(like I really need more of those), I'll take the fox any day.
Please please please read the thread, man. I think every page of this thread has at least one post at this point saying why Victini outclasses Delphox offensively. Recap: Even though Delphox has higher SpA, it don't mean beans because Victini's going to be doing more damage with its higher BP moves (even as a special sweeper) on everything except psyshock/psychic. And the +4 to speed means nothing, since you don't outspeed anything important that Victini doesn't already.

Seeing as how my previous post got deleted...

..speed and slightly more power i dont think will make up for overall coverage that Victini has in its movepool (dual STAB, tbolt/thunder, fusionbolt, energyball/grassknot, shadowball, brickbreak, uturn, dazzlinggleam). Both a physical or a special moveset do fantastically with a choiced or lifeorb set (not including trickroom vcreate). In addition, VictoryStar gives a boost to accuracy allowing your lower accuracy hits to hit more often than they normally would.

Compared to Delphox which has a movepool coverage overall, predicted sets (sub/magician, CM fox, specs fox), and (just an example) no good attack for incoming Greninja switch....if Victini stays high UU, Delphox will be low UU. Sorry in my opinion Victini still outclasses Delphox

Also, if Mega Absol/Gardevoir gets banned from RU or UU, the base form will probably drop to a lower tier. See: Kangaskhanite ban. So there's no telling where they will end up just yet.
Unfortunately, Smogon's policy makers have taken the position that Megas are a set and not a Pokemon. I wish they would actually consider otherwise, since it's a big game-changing mechanic and not a gimmick of one Pokemon like Meloetta last gen, but it's too bad. All they've been doing is banning the Mega Stones as items, like Soul Dew. It's going to be unintuitive when they get to writing Gengar's analysis page but that's what they've decided. Sorry for going off topic

Ok, so I'm joining the Victini vs Delphox argument saying that Victini is the better Psyire type.

For starters, Victini has waay better stats. 100 in every stat is nice and because a Nature is essentially a +10 base stat in whatever stat your boosting, a Victini with a boosting nature will have 110 in a stat (90 in the other, but come on). His low accuracy moves (Wassup Focus Miss) are helped by Victory Star, and his coverage is waaaay better than What does the phox say wizard.

Delphix is better defensively, but Victini outdoes it in offenses.

Unfortunately, Smogon's policy makers have taken the position that Megas are a set and not a Pokemon. I wish they would actually consider otherwise, since it's a big game-changing mechanic and not a gimmick of one Pokemon like Meloetta last gen, but it's too bad. All they've been doing is banning the Mega Stones as items, like Soul Dew. It's going to be unintuitive when they get to writing Gengar's analysis page but that's what they've decided. Sorry for going off topic
That's exactly what I'm talking about. If the Mega is banned refers to if the Stone gets banned. There is no such thing as a guarantee Absol or Gardevoir will be above certain tiers, because if Absolite ends up BL2 then Absol may very well end up in NU.

There are still a lot of Pursuit users and Psychic-type competition in the lower tiers though, making Delphox's life REALLY difficult.

Ok, so I'm joining the Victini vs Delphox argument saying that Victini is the better Psyire type.

For starters, Victini has waay better stats. 100 in every stat is nice and because a Nature is essentially a +10 base stat in whatever stat your boosting, a Victini with a boosting nature will have 110 in a stat (90 in the other, but come on). His low accuracy moves (Wassup Focus Miss) are helped by Victory Star, and his coverage is waaaay better than What does the phox say wizard.

Delphix is better defensively, but Victini outdoes it in offenses.
How is Delphox better defensively? Just asking, since Victini has much better defenses. Wish isn't too reliable either. Not that anyone every tries to use defensive Victini (or defensive Delphox for that matter).

How is Delphox better defensively? Just asking, since Victini has much better defenses. Wish isn't too reliable either. Not that anyone every tries to use defensive Victini (or defensive Delphox for that matter).
Wish, Magic Coat, Toxic, WoW, Hypnosis, and Switcharoo are all defensive moves of Delphox. If Delphox got Recover dat would be good, Something like Wish | Protect | WoW | Psychic / Fire move would work. I'll try that and I'll come back after a few battles.

if Absolite ends up BL2 then Absol may very well end up in NU.
That won't affect Absol's tiering because it's based on usage in OU.

Well, to say something about Delphox, the one advantage Magician Delphox has over a Knock Off Pokemon is that Knock Off is physical and that Delphox is a special attacker. Any special attacker that tried to run Knock Off would lose offensive momentum. I can't say that's enough to propel Delphox out of mediocrity though. Especially since many special attackers have Trick which can fulfill a similar purpose.

Last edited:
4MSS implies that there are either multiple worthy coverage options it has available to it or multiple roles that are worth pursuing. Neither is particularly true in the case of Delphox.

I wonder if the next game will give her something to work with. Even just gaining access to Focus Miss would vastly improve her options offensively.

Garchomp and it's comedic 102 speed. It still whups them both, but yeah.
Well yeah. That's why I said it doesn't outspeed anything important. Since you brought up Garchomp, one of Garchomp's biggest selling point was that it's +2 to speed allowed it to outspeed and KO the many 100 speed dragons, so the +2 to speed actually allowed it to reliably take out things it wouldn't be able to otherwise. Delphox and Victini aren't going to be taking on Garchomp no matter how much speed they gets unless things are really down to the wire, so the fact that you can outspeed garchomp isn't really a selling point. It sucks, because Delphox is one point away from tying with Mienshao and Mismagius. I feel like GF probably thought they were being generous with a 104 speed, but it really doesn't do anything for it that 100 or something else could do instead.

Okay so we all agreed that Delphox is not going to be a full time major part of the OU meta at this point yes? Good. As far as Victini vs Delphox goes, Delphox is the better special sweeper in my personal opinion because of Calm Mind and 104 Base Speed, as well as being better for Choice Specs sets. That said, Victini is better off running physical from experience, as its physical movepool is pretty good and that burn immunity is nice.

Anyway yeah, we all kinda agree its not viable as a full time deal in OU. Not a bad pokemon, but just not good enough and generally frightened by a ton of things in the current Meta. If it had some more options like Moonblast and Aura Sphere though, MAYBE it might find itself a bit more usage. On the brighter end of things, its actually pretty good if you play Battle Spot 3vs3, though that's a whole different deal.

Okay so we all agreed that Delphox is not going to be a full time major part of the OU meta at this point yes? Good. As far as Victini vs Delphox goes, Delphox is the better special sweeper in my personal opinion because of Calm Mind and 104 Base Speed, as well as being better for Choice Specs sets. That said, Victini is better off running physical from experience, as its physical movepool is pretty good and that burn immunity is nice.
I disagree. Just because Delphox has (slightly) higher speed and special attack, does not mean it does that role better than Victini. Since you even admitted that Delpox is not going to be OU, its main foes/walls in UU will be Umbreon, Houndoom, and Chansey (maybe?). Unlike Delphox, Victini puts massive pressure on opposing teams because they will often think Victini is a physical one. So, a special Victini usually can punch massive holes in at least one pokemon before your opponent realizes that he/she needs to switch to a special wall. Moreover, in UU last gen, many people put V-Create on special Victini in order to get past special walls. And V-Create>>>>Psyshock considering that Umbreon is good and completely walls Delphox. Not to mention that Umbreon destroys Sub CM Delphox: it can always break Delphox subs with Foul Play and can heal up with Wish unless Delphox is at like +3. And Houndoom just plain walls Sub/non-Sub CM Delphox. Delphox REALLY needs Focus Blast...which Victini also has...

Um... Chansey was OU last gen if I'm not mistaken. The eviolite set was roughly as durable as Blissey if not more so, the main drawback was you couldn't surprise people by actually running an attack not named Seismic Toss. Either that or it got kicked upstairs from UU to BL, which is where it sits on Showdown currently.

As for Delphox... in order to not get flat walled by Houndoom she'll be forced to run HP Fighting. But Umbreon laughs off that kind of tomfoolery.

Chansey was BL.

Delphox also will be hard walked by Slowking (who was popular in UU teams last gen) who can also do a ton of damage to Delphox. HP Fighting actually doesn't seen too bad, but it's going to have to work until some event comes out and Delphox gets some new moves...

Chansey was BL.

Delphox also will be hard walked by Slowking (who was popular in UU teams last gen) who can also do a ton of damage to Delphox. HP Fighting actually doesn't seen too bad, but it's going to have to work until some event comes out and Delphox gets some new moves...
Grass Knot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)