DP Research Thread #2 ("New")

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As you know, we posted the damage formula a few days ago, and we've been perfectioning it since. We're now at a point where only two things are left, and the damage formula would be (to our knowledge) 100% ready. The problem is that, for these two things, me and Peterko cannot carry out the tests ourselves since we lack a Wi-Fi connection, and so it will be extremely difficult to find the damage that is being done to the foe. Because of this, we need other testers to help us.

The two things that still require testing are:

1) We recently found out that Tinted Lens' modifier is at Mod2 and not at Mod3. We now don't know if the x2 is done before, or after the x1.5 of Me First. Boa1891 is graciously working on this, but if other people would like to test this, it would be really appreciated, since we'll probably need quite a lot of damage numbers in order to pinpoint the order. Information about this is found in this post.

2) Today, Peterko found out that moves that hit everyone in 2vs2 (like Surf) do a x0.75 in Mod1 for the calculated damage. We would now like to see what happens to moves that hit both foes in 2vs2 (like Razor Leaf). Sarenji told me he's going to provide a bit of feedback about this, but, again, the more damage number we get about this, the better, so other help is needed. Information about this is found in this post.

If you get information about test 1) or test 2), please PM me with the details, or post in the damage formula thread in the contributions and corrections forum. Thanks, and sorry if we're bugging people for the last bit of damage formula testing.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
We're actually 100% sure that Explosion does not lose power in 2vs2. Every Pokemon in play gets its defense reduced by half and dealt a 250-power physical normal move, with the user fainting.

Keep in mind that the last Pokemon to be hit by an attack that hits multiple targets will take full damage if the other targets have fainted.

Lv100 Bronzong - 301 Atk
Lv100 Umbreon - 350 Def
Bronzong used Explosion.
Umbreon is the first target to be hit.
Umbreon takes 252 damage.

Damage range without reduction is 308-363. Explosion does get its damage reduced.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I ´ve tested it this way: KOed one of the oponents and put the second to sleep, switched in jirachi and exploded, 100% damage...and used the same system for surf/quake/lava plume etc. where it did 75%...are you saying that explosion will do 75% to its partner if everyone´s alive when it is used?

EDIT: well explosion did 75% damage to the partner when everyone on the field was alive (it was struck first)...I don´t get this, why is it different from the other moves?

Team Rocket Elite

The order the Pokemon take damage from attacks that hit multiple targets and which targets faint are important. The last Pokemon to be hit by the attack will take full damage if all the other targets have fainted.

Here's how it went.
Four Pokemon on the field. From fastest to slowest:
Umbreon, Bronzong, Meditite, Machop.

Turn 1
Meditite used Detect.
Umbreon used Yawn on Machop.
Bronzong used Explosion.
Bronzong faints.
Umbreon was hit first for 255 damage.
The message stating Meditite protected itself is displayed.
Machop is hit and faints.

I revive Bronzong, heal Umbreon, put Meditite to sleep, and set up Trick Room.
Three Pokemon on the field. From fastest to slowest:
Meditite, Bronzong, Umbreon

Meditite is fast alseep.
Bronzong used Explosion.
Bronzong faints.
Meditite is hit and faints.
Umbreon takes 348 damage. Note this is a full power Explosion since Umbreon is the last target to be hit and all other targets have fainted.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
In PBR it's shown that 2 Pokémon are hit at the same time on the screen when using multi-hit moves. How would the damage work there?

Peterko

Never give up!
mine was metagross, jirachi, pachirisu, pachirisu

I spored both pachirisu with breloom and switched in jirachi turn3 and metagross exploded: jirachi was hit first for 75% (there were 3 targets)

test2: KOed one of the pachirisu, second was put to sleep, switch in, meta exploded: jirachi was hit first (there were only 2 targets) for 100% damage

I repeated this test with surf and it was 75% in both cases, so why doesn´t it work like explosion and what exactly is the order for explosion?

all targets on the field - first one hit (depends on position or speed?) 75%, faints, second one hit 100% or still 75%? third one hit 100% or 75%?

2 targets on the field - first one hit 100%, second also 100%?

I´m not able to get the damage done to the oponents myself, no wi-fi and no wireless battles

Team Rocket Elite

I see what you mean now. I guess this means I'm wrong on what the conditions are for taking full damage from the attack. There's more to it then I thought. I'm guessing it has something to do with how you kill yourself with Explosion.

Just to make sure I understand the defense-halving business...if you choose explosion, will your defense be down so everything can hurt you better before you get the explosion off?

Team Rocket Elite

Nope, that's not right. Damage dealt by Explosion is calculated as if the Pokemon hit by Explosion had half as much Defense as the actually does. This Explosion similar to a 500 power attack(it's not exactly the same, though). Before and after the hit from Explosion, all Pokemon take damage normally.

In PBR it's shown that 2 Pokémon are hit at the same time on the screen when using multi-hit moves. How would the damage work there?
I haven't calculated it, but from eyeballing the damage taken, it seems to work the same way in PBR, even if it shows both taking damage simultaneously.

It's actually kind of annoying that it works this way in PBR, since you're able to glean less information about the relative speed of your targets.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if a Pokemon with Unburden regains an item after losing it (with Recycle etc.) the speed boost is lost until the item is lost again.

I haven't tried this out yet, but I want to see if it works. I call it the Invincibility Wonder. Basically, you have Alakazam (or any Pokemon with Skill Swap) swap skills with Shedninja. Swap out Shedninja with Alakazam having Wonder Guard and bring in Sableye/Spiritomb. Skill Swap to have the Dark/Ghost gain wonderguard rendering it (almostst) invincible.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think Wonder Guard is one of those few abilities that cannot be Skill Swapped. At least it was so in ADV. It can be Trace'd, though.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wonder Guard still cannot be Skill Swapped. It can be Traced, though. However, since you cannot Trace your own Pokemon, there's no practical way to apply this.

Beat Up affects all Pokemon, regardless of whether or not they have Wonder Guard. The individual hits can still critical hit, and they all appear to follow the same damage formula as in Advance: the attack stat used is that of the each individual attacker's base Attack, the level is that of the individual attacker, and the defense stat is that of the Pokemon being attacked.

I saw this here and thought it was interesting.

26: {One-hit KO. Reduces opponent's HP by opponent's current HP. Ineffective if opponent's level is higher. When used, this attack's original accuracy increases by the level difference. Affected by type immunities. Evasion and Accuracy stages are ignored for this attack.}
Guillotine NORMAL Ph 1 30 5 0 [00] ab e
Horn Drill NORMAL Ph 1 30 5 0 [00] ab e
Fissure GROUND Ph 1 30 5 0 [00] b e h
Sheer Cold ICE Sp 1 30 5 0 [00] b e
Any confirmation of this? As I haven't seen the OHKOs mentioned much. Does this include Wide Lens/Zoom Lens, etc?

The complete damage formula thread says that Flower Gift apparently Boosts ATTACK and SPECIAL DEFENSE...that just seems bizarre, is the description really wrong and the boost is lopsided, then?

And I assume that BOTH pokemon on the Flower Gift user's team get the boost, which is removed when the Flower Gift user switches out?

Also, is the sandstorm defense boost considered an "item" or an "ability" boost, since it says to apply item boosts after ability boosts? Is it a third category? *thinks up weird special cases*

Twineedle poisoning Steel types is apparently a myth.
Twinneedle could poison Poison types on Netbattle in advance mode.

Saw it happen in a Metro battle to a Gengar.

(Not that this means that this could happen in the real game. Just that it's happened SOMEWHERE.)

Peterko

Never give up!
The complete damage formula thread says that Flower Gift apparently Boosts ATTACK and SPECIAL DEFENSE...that just seems bizarre, is the description really wrong and the boost is lopsided, then?

And I assume that BOTH pokemon on the Flower Gift user's team get the boost, which is removed when the Flower Gift user switches out?

Also, is the sandstorm defense boost considered an "item" or an "ability" boost, since it says to apply item boosts after ability boosts? Is it a third category? *thinks up weird special cases*
Flower Gift
-> it may be bizarre, but that´s how it works
-> I think both get the boost, but this was one of the very few things I didn´t test myself so X-Act will clarify this (X-Acts answer: yes user+partner)

Sandstorm
-> I double checked the sD list...sandstorm sD boost can´t collide with any other boosts, I mean there is flower gift, which means the sun is up, then there are pkmn exclusive items....or do you think we should test soul dew lati@s, who get skill swapped color change from kecleon, get attacked with a rock move and use sandstorm and check that? (the same with clamperl) ._.

or a different bizarre way getting camouflage or conversion on these pkmn? (I don´t think that´s possible, anyway) sorry it´s too ridiculous for anyone to try, doesn´t mean you can´t test it and tell us the results ;)

X-Act

To be more correct, Flower Gift's effects wear off immediately if Sunny Day is not in effect. It is easy to see when Flower Gift is in effect, as Cherrim changes its sprite the moment there's Sunny Day in effect, and goes back to the original sprite once the weather changes or abates.

Yeah, I figure those weird cases probably aren't too important to worry about. :^P

I was looking for information on critical hits, but I couldn't find much besides X-act's last post, where he mentioned 4 critical hit domains but said more testing was needed.

Was more testing ever done? Slash etc. start out at only 12.5% now, and normal moves have a 6.25% chance? Focus energy bumps the chance up two domains?

He wrote that domain 4 (50%?) was never reached in testing, but I thought I read about 50% critical hits in some thread...

Wouldn't it be Super Luck (Absol/Honchrow) + scope lens/ Crit+ pinchberry? + Focus Energy Baton pass+ High Crit domain move (Night Slash) or am i adding too many +variables? >_>;

OH, what would happen if you baton passed focus energy and then had a crit + Pinch berry activate too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)