DP Research Thread #2 ("New")

Status
Not open for further replies.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Faster- The slower one will go after the faster one, so it can't work since it can't move before the opponent.
Your answer was wrong, but the description was right. He asked which would fail, not which would work. The faster one uses Sucker Punch, and, because they are using an attack move and it went first, it successfully hits. Then the second Sucker Punch goes, but it fails because it wasn't used first.

Amazing Ampharos and I did a little testing on Arceus, Judgement and Multitype.

Not sure if this is all new information, but I'm sure some of it is.

Any Pokemon with a plate will use that plate's type Judgement. A Geodude (with Keen Eye - don't ask) and a Flame Plate used Judgement that was super effective against Jumpluff, i.e it was Fire Type.

Multitype cannot be Skill Swapped or Traced. Arceus itself cannot Skill Swap at all.

Smeargle can sketch Judgement fine, and its type changes with Smeargle's plate, which fits in conjunction with the 1st point.

A Multitype Geodude remained a Rock type (it took NVE damage from normal moves) with a Fire Plate, proving this ability only works in conjunction with Arceus.

An Intimidate Arceus with a Flame Plate transformed in battle to Fire type, yet it took neutral damage from Smeargle's Judgement (which was also Fire type) and Slaking's Shadow Claw did not effect it. Regardless of its trait, Arceus will visually transform in battle depending on its Plate, but said plate will have no effect on Arceus's type.

It wasn't really, just seeing if there was a difference between a Judgement obtained legitimately in battle and a sharked Judgement.

That was Spanky being silly. That part has since been edited out of the post.

I had to correct him so many times in the making of that post. He's really quite scatterbrained.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
a few things about taunt, I´m sure it has been posted a long time ago by TRE or someone else, but it works for 2-5 turns, including the turn it is used

in 2vs2:
-> you can taunt all three other pkmn on the field, including your partner; one after another, of course
-> the taunted pkmn doesn´t have to attack the pkmn that taunted it, it can choose to attack whichever pkmn it wants (with a dmging move only)

Peterko

Never give up!
I´ve read the description, believe me

1. taunt-growl
2. dragon dance-wing attack
3. DD-WA
4. quick attack-DD
5. DD-WA
the wild starly´s taunt wore off

how many turns?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I´ve read the description, believe me

1. taunt-growl
2. dragon dance-wing attack
3. DD-WA
4. quick attack-DD
5. DD-WA
the wild starly´s taunt wore off

how many turns?
Wow, that's one more mistake the game has on the text lol.

Peterko

Never give up!
well maybe it´s not a mistake, maybe the description is just not exact enough, maybe it ignores the turn it is used...tried it with a lagging tail and still got 5 turns, I mean 4 after the turn it has been used before it wore off...now if I see it wear off after 2 turns, it is 2-5, if 3 turns is min then it is 2-4, ignoring the turn it has been used...

gonna update which one it is

EDIT: I only got 3, 4 and 5 turns (including the turn it was used) in this test so far, but I´m tired and gonna go to bed now, so could anyone else please do a few more tests with taunt? just taunt a wild pkmn and count the turns it was in effect (easier if you´re faster)

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I was trying to find out what moves ignore type immunites...

Sing, protect, supersonic, growl, flash, screech, acupressure, and lock-on work on gengar,
but lock-on does NOT allow normal moves to hit ghost types like foresight does.

Foresight works on ghosts and allows them to be hit by normal moves, but does NOT allow the
ghost to hit the foresight user with a ghost-type move. (tested this because of someone's
comment about scrappy being a "one-way foresight"). I didn't realize it, but after you use foresight,
apparently ALL pokemon in battle can hit the ghost with normal moves. my sentret hit gengar with
frustration, and an enemy stunky or glameow hit gengar with fury swipes the same turn.

Foresight stays in effect after being used once until the target switches out of battle.

Notably, glare and roar work on gengar. Swagger works on gengar, and can be used more than once
(the second time it just does another attack++, apparently. Crazy idea: swagger + own tempo, in 2v2?)

Using a recoil move on a protecting pokemon does not do any recoil damage to the user,
unlike hi jump kick.

Question: Does me first work on ghosts?

Oh, and I guess the followup question is, what DOES take into account type immunities? Any damaging attack, obviously, plus poisonpowder, toxic, thunder wave, and anything else?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh, and I guess the followup question is, what DOES take into account type immunities? Any damaging attack, obviously, plus poisonpowder, toxic, thunder wave, and anything else?
Put it this way: Thunder Wave is the only status move that can fail because its target has an immunity to Electric attacks, not by virtue of them being immune to the status effect it inflicts. Toxic and other poisoning moves fail because Steel-types are immune to poisoning, Will-o-Wisp fails because Fire-types are immune to burns, etc.

So basically, there are three exceptions? I thought there was some weird way (twineedle?) to poison steel types.

Since glare SHOULD fail due to type immunity, but it still paralyzes ghosts.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If the move does no damage, a general rule of thumb is that it works on all targets, unless they are also immune to the effect (as OmegaDonut said, Poisons and Steels are immune to the Poison status, and thus no move will Poison them, for instance), and if it does damage, it follows type immunities. The easiest way to list stuff is to follow this rule and to note any exceptions.

Thunder Wave fails on Ground Pokemon. Future Sight and Doom Desire are, despite what the game tries to tell you, completely typeless as far as damage is concerned (just like Sandstorm doesn't do Rock damage, it just does damage), and thus hit everything neutral, even Pokemon with WonderGuard. Bide hits Ghosts. Counter doesn't hit Ghosts, Mirror Coat doesn't hit Darks. Endeavor doesn't hit Ghosts. Horn Drill and Guillotine don't hit Ghosts, Fissure doesn't hit Fliers / Levitators. Pain Split hits Ghosts. Brick Break doesn't hit Ghosts, but breaks barriers even if it's used on a Ghost. Uproar doesn't hit Ghosts, but still prevents them from Sleeping.

To my knowledge, these are the only exceptions, except for some DP moves maybe. If a move calls on other moves or turns into other moves (Nature Power, Sleep Talk, Metronome), then the type of the move it selects is what determines effectiveness.

Twineedle poisoning Steel types is apparently a myth.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Twineedle only poisoned Steels in GSC, but not since Advance.

Also, Focus Sash protects against ALL hits of Triple Kick.

I don't think Glare paralyzes ghosts. Moves that paralyze, poison, or burn heed type immunity except Wonder Guard. Hence, Will-o-wisp triggers Flash Fire.

Peterko

Never give up!
taunt results

this was a 2vs2 battle where I taunted all 3 other pkmn, one after another and counted the number of turns til taunt wore off

3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 4, 5, 3, 3, 3, 4, 3, 5, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5 -> including the turn it has been used (taunting pkmn was the fastest)

2 turns: 0/20
3 turns: 7/20
4 turns: 6/20
5 turns: 6/20

so, taunt works 3-5 turns (including the turn it has been used)

in 2vs2:
-> you can taunt all three other pkmn on the field, including your partner; one after another, of course
-> the taunted pkmn doesn´t have to attack the pkmn that taunted it, it can choose to attack whichever pkmn it wants

EDIT: is there a list of moves that hit all targets in 2vs2?

tested explosion, surf and earthquake with these results

explosion does 100% damage in 2vs2

surf does 75% damage in 2vs2 (will have to find the 0.75x damage formula modifier position with X-Act later)

earthquake does 75% damage in 2vs2

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
We're actually 100% sure that Explosion does not lose power in 2vs2. Every Pokemon in play gets its defense reduced by half and dealt a 250-power physical normal move, with the user fainting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)