Curse
Power Whip (Main STAB)
Iron Head/ Gyro Ball
Ingrain/ Leech Seed

Other Moves To Consider

Stealth Rock
Spikes
Poison Jab - BP 80 + 30% poison or Toxic

EV's are invested only generally (would calc for specific EV's when a more clear picture of the gen 5 threats arises. The big thing to think about is that this thing isn't going to be a huge threat as an attacker unless it gets a couple Curses off. So the EV's are invested into HP and SpD since after one curse it's defence will be more than adequate, and any decent player will play it the SpA route. Full SpD investment isn't given so that after a curse it's Atk can actually pack a punch (Brave Nature: Atk reaches approx. ~248 with 128 Atk EV's). meaning after 1 curse you're at 372.

So now the question is, what is important in it's moveset.

With the moveset proposed above, you've got two stab moves, a healing move, and curse. This thing is definitely a beast if it's got double healing (thanks to leftovers) and a curse boost in defence. But Leech Seed can be switched out of (providing a bonus turn to curse). But after all that's said and done, you're resisted by most of the metagame. Thus the alternate moves to consider.

So looking at Poison Jab. The problem with Poison Jab is... it too... is resisted by most of the metagame. The 30% poison effect is nice though, and would help stall out opposition, but then you run into a problem against steel types.

Level Ground doesn't even help because it just opens up more resistances to you than Iron Head/ Gyro Ball.

But Level Ground AND Poison Jab Means you're only resisted by Skarmory, Shedinja and Bronzor in the former OU metagame, and the likelihood of using Nattorei with sandstorm makes Shedinja no problem. With Iron/ Gyro you can add Zapdos and the Rotoms to that mix. You'd have to give up extra healing though.

The other option is to not curse at all, and set up hazards then explode, but this guys just screams CURSE SET!

p.s. sorry to mod who closed my thread. Feel free to delete it ^^;

One of the things of interest. How would one go about getting Stealth rock Spikes combo? Just wondering.
Use "Parastone", that new Bug/Rock type hermit crab thing (Iwa... Isshu #557/558): from the "Bug" and "Mineral" breeding groups.

Nattorei AKA "Nuttella" is: "Plant" group and "Mineral" group

One would have to breed Spikes onto this Bug/Rock first. Forretress could be used.

If Nattorei had a "Bug" grouping for breeding, "Stealth Rock + Spikes + Gravity" would have been a legal combo.

The other thing you can do for Nattorei is Baton Pass if Magnezone running HP Fire is a problem, or Shanderra is shadow tagging you. I figure you would throw in Ingrain at that point, as it's the most useful thing Shanderra has to offer as a Baton Passer. Curse will always work, but that means having another slow pokemon on your team, which might be more trouble than it's worth, though a Trick Room team would love it.

Relaxed/Sassy
@Rugged Helmet
252 HP/252 SpD/ 4 Atk

Baton Pass
Ingrain
Power Whip
Curse/ SR/ Spikes

Or opt for a second attack without curse etc... but it reduces the usefulness of Baton pass. SR and Spikes are always useful, and a Baton Pass can mean Nattorei didn't have to die to set them up. Thus why they're useful with him. If you wanted to make things really annoying, and I know this seems ridiculous, but...:

Relaxed/Sassy
@Leftovers/Rugged Helmet
252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 Def

Ingrain
Baton Pass
Leech Seed
Stealth Rock/Spikes

I think you can see where this is going... Tempting idea though :P

EDIT:

Is what I WOULD be saying, if Nattorei could learn baton pass. Don't know why I thought he could...

Rugged Helmet.

Since Shadow Tag Shandera doesn't exist yet, and will definitely be tested once it does, he does not currently need Shed Shell, if he has a way to deal with Magnezone. Meanwhile, Rugged Helmet has good synergy with Nattorei's sole ability, Iron Thorns.

This is the offensive Dragon-type Crimgan's selling point, so why not give it to a defensive stall Pokémon?

There is absolutely no guarantee Shadow Tag Shanderaa will be tested. Until it's released though, I think Rugged Helmet's not a bad idea to use.

I've been using this guy for a couple of days now.

I used this set:

Nattorei @ Rugged Helmet
Relaxed
252 HP, 252 SpD

Leech Seed
Gyroball
Seed Bomb
Spikes

And, I must say, It works soooo well, really. Taking away 25% of the opponent's HP when switching on a resisted (or not) attack is so effective.
Some may say that Leech seed as its only recovery shortens its life during a battle, but I often find myself having 3 layer of spikes up, a seeded opponent, and even a KO or 2 to its credit before it goes down. IF it ever goes down.

Definitely, a big OU Pokemon that I'll be using very often :)

I've been using something a little more interesting to amazing success. Rather than make a whole thread for Teshiido, I'll post it in it's Evo's thread.

Teshiido @ Evolution Stone
Relaxed | Steel Thorns
4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
~Leech Seed
~Thunder Wave
~Spikes
~Iron Head/Move of Choice

It's surprisingly effective. Iron Head isn't for flinch chance, as with 10 base speed you aren't outspeeding much, but instead as a tool to do some damage to frailer sweepers who Leech Seed may not be the best option against.

I've been using something a little more interesting to amazing success. Rather than make a whole thread for Teshiido, I'll post it in it's Evo's thread.

Teshiido @ Evolution Stone
Relaxed | Steel Thorns
4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
~Leech Seed
~Thunder Wave
~Spikes
~Iron Head/Move of Choice

It's surprisingly effective. Iron Head isn't for flinch chance, as with 10 base speed you aren't outspeeding much, but instead as a tool to do some damage to frailer sweepers who Leech Seed may not be the best option against.
Since you use it against me, I'll comment. It's actually pretty good, though one knock off and its garbage... Leech seed is definitely its best move, it has such low HP. I don't know why you use Iron Head, Base 10 says Gyro Ball to me. Also, Thunder Wave might be put to better use for something else.

I've been running a mixed wall (I forget the exact EVs though) with

Leech Seed
Spikes
Protect
Gyro Ball

Leech Seed/Protect is awesome on this guy, really helps him keep his HP high and is good for team support

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been using Choice Band Nattorei for a few days, and it's awesome. People keep drooling over this things defensive capabilities and don't seem to see just how strong it is. In fact, it has, by far, the strongest Gyro Ball in the game when you take into account Speed and Attack.

I've been using this moveset:

Nattorei @Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
Iron Barbs
0 Speed IVs

- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Explosion
- Level Ground

Keep in mind that the last 2 slots are completely filler. I've not once actually used either of those moves, because IMO, they're completely useless, and Level Ground is only ever useful against Magnezone, which I haven't encountered very much.

Gyro Ball is extremely powerful, and it's hitting 150 base power against anything with 239 Speed or higher, which is not exactly a rare sight.

Just to give you an idea of how much damage Gyro Ball can do, let's observe some damage calcs:

252 Atk CB Gyro Ball vs.

252 HP/252 Def Bold Deoxys-D = 49.7% - 58.6% (guaranteed 2HKO - SR)
252 HP/252 Spe Jolly Gliscor = 74.9% - 88.4% (possible OHKO - SR)
252 HP/252 Def Bold Lugia = 46.4% - 54.8% (guaranteed 2HKO - SR)
0 HP/0 Def Garchomp = 94.1% - 110.9% (guaranteed OHKO - SR)
0 HP/0 Def Shandera = 67.4% - 79.3% (possible OHKO - SR)
252 HP/252 Def Bold Cresselia = 39.9% - 46.8% (possible 2HKO - SR)

These are just some examples of how strong Gyro Ball is. You can see that it's able to 2HKO some of the bulkiest pokemon in the game, and OHKO some bulky offensive pokemon too. Just for reference, at 150 base power, Nattorei's CB Gyro Ball is on par with Rampardos's CB Stone Edge, which is very impressive considering Nattorei's 94 base Attack.

I included Shandera in there because Shandera might get the bright idea that he's safe to come in on a Gyro Ball and trap you since you no longer have Shed Shell. That's a bad idea, a very bad idea. In fact, I usually have Deoxys-S on my team, so if a layer of Spikes is up with that Stealth Rock, Shandera stands no chance unless it revenge-kills.

Power Whip is very strong as well, and it complements Gyro Ball by utterly destroying any bulky water that tries to switch in. It can OHKO CroCune after Stealth Rock damage, so the other Water types don't stand a chance.

The only real problem I've seen with this set is that it gets walled by Steel-typed walls pretty easily (don't try walling it with offensive Steel-types, that's just asking to die, especially considering something like CS Jirachi is 2HKOed on the switch in by Gyro Ball). Skarmory is a pain in the ass, but pairing him up with something like Shandera or Magnezone can help fix this weakness somewhat.

I also pair him up with my OTR Bronzong, although Rankurusu and other TR pokemon can work just as well. He doesn't need Trick room up since his bulkiness helps him take a lot of hits, but he does appreciate it.

I hope people will try this set out, because it gives a lot of Nattorei's switch-ins very rude awakenings when they're lying on the ground writhing in agony.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I used Adamant with 252 Att EVs. That way, it discourages more switch-ins and can actually outright KO the bulky Water types it switches in on instead of dicking around with Leech Seed. But I think I ended up running Leech Seed just to dick around anyway lol.

The best part about it is that you don't lose much at all by running so much attack power. Even with 252 HP EVs, he can set up on and block the same things he used to, but just having a stronger Power Whip on his side is a great asset to his utilities.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I used Adamant with 252 Att EVs. That way, it discourages more switch-ins and can actually outright KO the bulky Water types it switches in on instead of dicking around with Leech Seed. But I think I ended up running Leech Seed just to dick around anyway lol.

The best part about it is that you don't lose much at all by running so much attack power. Even with 252 HP EVs, he can set up on and block the same things he used to, but just having a stronger Power Whip on his side is a great asset to his utilities.
Brave is better because it still raises his Attack, but lowers his Speed to power up Gyro Ball even more. And with 20 base Speed, he's not going to be worrying about outrunning stuff anytime soon. Of course, if you're not running Gyro Ball on Nattorei, then Adamant is better.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It should also be noted with Brave Nature you can actually screw around with Trick Room teams and defeat Rhypherior and outwit Rankurusu, assuming it has taken prior damage.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I used to have a speed lowering nature on him, but then I changed it to Adamant once I dropped Gyro Ball. That way, once you get the chance to actually paralyze something, it won't just outspeed you anyway like nothing happened. 'Course that tends to happen anyway but I don't see any reason toake it worse.

Hadn't thought of Trick Room, but I consider that one of the easier playstyles to dismantle, truthfully.

I know it's gimmicky, but I think that if anyone could effectively use rugged helm, it would be this guy. Unlike many rough skin users (sans DW garchomp) he actually has the bulk to take multiple hits.

I don't know if anybody has pointed this out yet, but Magnezone fails to OHKO the standard Nattorei with HP Fire. It does around 71%, iirc. Gives Nattorei time to do something, although I haven't got a clue what, since it can't phaze Magnezone out.

I don't know if anybody has pointed this out yet, but Magnezone fails to OHKO the standard Nattorei with HP Fire. It does around 71%, iirc. Gives Nattorei time to do something, although I haven't got a clue what, since it can't phaze Magnezone out.
A. Spike

B. SR

C. Specs HP Ground

Conclusion: Magnezone still beats Nattorei, even if it can't OHKO.

A. Spike

B. SR

C. Specs HP Ground

Conclusion: Magnezone still beats Nattorei, even if it can't OHKO.
D. Thunder Wave

E. Level Ground

You can cripple it or potentially kill it with either of these options, though I'd rather get some more spikes up anyway if I'm using a purely defensive set.

@ Bologo

Those are some astounding calculations Bologo! I'm really looking forward to trying out the CB set. I run a typical defensive set using Spikes/Power Whip/Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave with a Sassy nature and Gyro is still ridiculously powerful even with no investement with all the speedy threats around. Meanwhile, Power Whip slaughters rain teams. I've found that special defensive investment is very helpful for taking on rain teams better, as are leftovers, which I prefer since rain teams are much more dangerous than the occasional Shandera/Magnezone switch in.

D. Thunder Wave

E. Level Ground

You can cripple it or potentially kill it with either of these options, though I'd rather get some more spikes up anyway if I'm using a purely defensive set.
When I use Magnezone, I always use the Magnet Rise/Substitute set with Thunderbolt and HP Fire as attacking options.

The cool thing about this set is that it can force a substitute on standard lead Metagrosses because it's faster and Metagross can't break subs with any of its attacks, except explosion, but if it uses explosion and you will undoubtedly survive, Magnezone has done its job.

So if you're facing a Magnezone, always go with entry hazards, because it has the tools to avoid being crippled or KO'd.

What does Rugged Helmet do?
Rugged Helmet inflicts recoil damage when the equipped Pokemon is hit by a contact move. Between Iron Barb and Rugged Helmet, Nattorei can reduce most physical sweepers' health by 25% just be switching into them.

When I use Magnezone, I always use the Magnet Rise/Substitute set with Thunderbolt and HP Fire as attacking options.

The cool thing about this set is that it can force a substitute on standard lead Metagrosses because it's faster and Metagross can't break subs with any of its attacks, except explosion, but if it uses explosion and you will undoubtedly survive, Magnezone has done its job.

So if you're facing a Magnezone, always go with entry hazards, because it has the tools to avoid being crippled or KO'd.
Metagross almost always has Earthquake you know... especially now in Gen V with the Explosion nerf. So you would need to have Substitute+Magnet rise.

Nattorei @Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
Iron Barbs
0 Speed IVs

- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Explosion
- Level Ground

Keep in mind that the last 2 slots are completely filler. I've not once actually used either of those moves, because IMO, they're completely useless, and Level Ground is only ever useful against Magnezone, which I haven't encountered very much.
This guy's physical movepool isn't that bad IMO. Payback/Shadow Claw have their uses. And it has Poison Jab *Shot*

But seriously, Payback is worth considering with this guys' low speed and decent bulk,and can be considered over say ,Explosion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)