1. The moderators of this forum are Jellicent and Lutra.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Gen 2 Gen 2 PS Development - Post bugs here

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Joim, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Tiba

Tiba
    is a Past SPL Champion

old gens should have the old style for cries (new ones are not horny)
    Luigi, p2, Aurora and 5 others like this.
  2. Enigami

Enigami

Flail + Quick Attack is listed as illegal for Dodrio in GSC, which is inaccurate. Get a male Phanpy/Donphan and level it up to learn Flail, breed it with a female Eevee(lution), hatch a male Eevee and level it up to learn Quick Attack, breed it with a female Farfetch'd, and finally hatch a male Farfetch'd and breed it with a female Doduo/Dodrio and you end up with a Doduo that knows both Flail and Quick Attack.
  3. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

Flail + Quick Attack registers as legal for me.

upload_2017-1-20_0-55-18.png

Can you post the exact set? The incompatibility probably stems from some other part of the set.
  4. Enigami

Enigami

When I try to validate my team for gen 2 with nothing but a Dodrio with Quick Attack and Flail:

Your team was rejected for the following reasons: - Dodrio's past gen egg moves Quick Attack, Flail do not have a valid father. (Is this incorrect? If so, post the chainbreeding instructions in Bug Reports)

Zubat is also technically not a valid father for Quick Attack + Flail. Flail is an event exclusive move for Zubat while Quick Attack is an egg move, so it can only pass one or the other to Doduo.
    Mirabel_ likes this.
  5. sulcata

sulcata

hey Zarel, do you know if anyone is fixing/has fixed DVs for hidden power, gender, and/or shinies? It's actually kind of a major thing since multiple pokemon may choose to run HP Water/Fire/Electric such as Raikou, Exeggutor, and Cloyster, which should all have their bulk significantly reduced by it. Also attract is sometimes "a thing".

same goes for swagger not boosting when the opponent is at max attack (999 or +6). not as important but it sounds easier to fix?
  6. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

I saw your previous post, and it's on my to-do list.
    sulcata likes this.
  7. mulgokizary

mulgokizary Banned deucer.

Hi, how are you doing?

In GSC, you can't modify the EVs at all. We've repeatedly tried to change the EV spread on our Pokemon to make them slower, but it always brings it back up to the max 252 in every stat. So the only way to do this is to change the DVs... not ideal at all, and way less flexible. It would be nice if you could fix this when you get the chance.

Thanks for reading.
    Ortheore likes this.
  8. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

I'm pretty sure it's already possible to manually set DVs.

I don't know what was wrong with the old HP DV/gender/shininess code in Gen 2, but I rewrote it and it should be working fine now.

Feel free to code this yourself; I definitely don't have the free time for this.

Also this is a bug thread; feature requests should probably go elsewhere. I don't want to be anal about this, but different programmers care about different things and when I'm in a bug fixing mood, feature requests are nothing but distractions to me.

This is fixed now.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Mirabel_ and mulgokizary like this.
  9. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

In conclusion:

I rewrote the Gen 2 HP DV, gender, and shininess code. I also updated the teambuilder to automatically calculate the HP DV.

It looks like the old code would automatically override EVs, which was a hack in case you changed a team from Gen 7 to Gen 2 (which doesn't automatically update the EVs). I've replaced it with a better warning system.

I'm actually not entirely sure what was wrong with the old code. I didn't write it, but I only spotted a few obvious errors, nothing that would make gender always wrong. Oh well, easier to rewrite than deal with tracking down those bugs. The new version will give error messages instead of silently trying to fix things. So now if your HP DV, gender, or shininess doesn't match your other DVs, you'll get an error message instead of weird PS bugs.

One vestige of the old validator remains: Swords Dance Thick Club Marowak still gets its Atk DV automatically set to 13. I'll remove that when I set the teambuilder to deal with that situation.

The fixes are live in Main, but not in Smogtours. I'll update Smogtours after a brief testing period in Main.

I know there are other Gen 2 issues; I'll get to them later.
  10. Linkin Karp

Linkin Karp

This also happened to Gen 1. I get stuff like Eggy oneshotting Lax with non-crit Explosion while it should do around 60%.
  11. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

Fixed, EVs weren't getting sent properly in certain situation.
  12. Crystal_

Crystal_
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

According to this, and more specifically, this post, all non-evolved and non-legendary Pokemon were released as eggs with random DV distributions. 1/8 of the times, they would turn out to be shiny Pokemon, with a random matching attack DV.

What we know:
    - All non-evolved, non-legendary Pokemon were normal 7/8 of the times
    - The rest were always shiny and so their best DV combination is 15/10/10/10

What we don't know:
    - The PRNG system used to generate the DVs. Whether it can be replicated from a starting seed, and if it's tied to the ID number in any way (apparently, Pokemon were given away with successive ID numbers), in order to generate the DVs of each of the Pokemon that were given away.
    - Even if we could know the above, we don't know how many Pokemon of each species were given away to find out what the last ID was.
    - Therefore, we cannot know what the DV combinations of each species were, and, particularly, whether any 15/15/15/15 Pokemon was actually given away.

My verdict:
    - We leave everything as it is. We don't have enough knowledge to implement any kind of restriction or rule that is accurate enough. It's like how we know that the first random numbers in a Gen 1/2 battle can only be up to 252, but we still don't implement that restriction because it's just a minor effect of a complex PRNG system that we haven't fully figured out or studied yet to properly implement in its entirety.
    Pearl, Khaytra, choolio and 3 others like this.
  13. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Champion

When I opened my team Importable on Sunday in advance of playing my weekly SPL match, to send my team into Ginku in case of d/c, it changed my lead Exeggutor's DVs to something ridiculous (I think 3 Atk / 3 Def) which I had to fix afterward.

I had something similar happen a couple weeks ago as well, where I had multiple Pokémon with messed up DVs. Everything looked peachy in the teambuilder before I started but I noticed mid-match I was missing 20+ max HP off a couple mons. -_- If Zarel was just tinkering with the code this weekend I don't know if they're even related situations, as this was 2-3 weeks ago, so I'd just consider this (more) confirmation something's fucky. I chalked this first situation occuring to my having Hidden Power on some mons and then rearranging them with the Move option, perhaps causing the altered DVs to "stick" to the slot and apply to the new mon being moved into it, but what do I know.
  14. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

I've heard of this happening on mobile with no known cause. I audited the relevant code in detail and never really figured out a cause.

The Move option swaps entire sets, so it wouldn't cause DVs to appear on mons that have never had Hidden Power.
  15. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best

I know in the first situation (second in order posted), it's possible I just had old DVs and changed some mons and the bad thing happened or whatever. I'm pretty sure not, because I would have never loaded a Hidden Power in GSC with a 3 HP DV in the first place that could inadvertently manage to propagate its way through multiple iterations of one team on the teambuilder. Snorlax is also already on every GSC team, so it wouldn't make sense for me to replace anything else with a Snorlax rather than simply modify the existing Snorlax's moveset (who never runs anything but max stats, as it doesn't run HP and lacks Roar/WW to incentivize Speed tweaking). But that was weeks ago and I didn't document the problem in detail, so I'm not going to sit here and say I absolutely did or didn't do X that would be of much help in pinning down the issue or whether I did something dumb to make things worse. Maybe I clicked on Import/Export at one time and it mucked up my team like the other thing.

If you're saying the weird importable thing is a mobile issue, I can assure you that it is not merely a problem with mobile access because I never access PS from anywhere but my home PC.
  16. sulcata

sulcata

17. sulcata

sulcata

For some reason the game is allowing Steelix to boost to +6. After a Pokemon's stat is at 999 it shouldn't allow further boosts in that stat as far as I know. I've made this team in the past day so the EVs and DVs can't be messed up.

There is the exception of Belly Drum and Swords Dance I believe. Swords Dance only checks for 999 in attack before applying +2, ignoring what the stat would be at +1 from current, and Belly Drum has the effect equivalent to applying Swords Dance until it fails or something, so depending on your current boost you'd either get +5 or +6 with Snorlax (i.e. snorlax gets +6 without boosts and +5 for -1 or +1 initial boosts). I think Crystal_ would be able to describe what's happening more effectively.

Edit: All stats should still be capped at 999 before Light Ball, Thick Club, Screens, and Metal Powder still, regardless of if it was able to get an extra boost.
  18. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best

I dunno about the minutiae of fractional percentage points on the other stuff, but I'm pretty sure Gen 2 doesn't do 255/256 accuracy. And if your Steelix is using Curse, it should be able to continue boosting up to +6 Attack even if its Defense can't go higher after three uses.
  19. sulcata

sulcata

No its defense went up to +6.
    The 255/256 bug is fixed, but accuracies are still recorded as x/256. I don't know exactly how it was fixed, so I'm not sure about the exact mechanics. But it would mean that accuracies like 70/100 can't exist as exactly that.

edit: iirc it just codes an exception for 255/256 moves to prevent misses
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  20. Crystal_

Crystal_
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

It's covered here (and post below). If you boost two stages when already 999, you'll end up at one stage higher than you were before using the move, with the exception that you can't get past +5 this way (if you boost only one stage in the same situation, your stat stage won't change). Belly Drum can get messy, as it's actually a succession of +2 attack boosts rather than a plain +6 setting.
  21. xJoelituh

xJoelituh
    is a Pre-Contributor

Mirabel_ likes this.
  22. Century Express

Century Express
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    choolio, Mirabel_ and M Dragon like this.
  23. Mirabel_

Mirabel_

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  24. Century Express

Century Express
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

PS! is probably right regarding the GSC Counter mechanics. Counter actually fails vs. moves used through Sleep Talk (even if it's a Physical move or Hidden Power) in the cartridge.

I don't know if anybody talked about the PS! Sleep mechs here, but they're probably implemented exactly like the RSE cart mechanics (where Sleep lasts 1-4 turns). I've tested it on cartridge, where sleep lasts 1-6 turns (check 20:29-21:21 on the video below where the Sleep lasts 6 turns and there were a lot of situations where i got 5 or 6 turns). Worms played a couple of games and the Sleeping 'mon never got past 4 turns (check the replays below). I don't know how to confirm the probability of 5 or 6-turn Sleep happening though so it would be nice if someone familiar with GSC mechanics could explain it better

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2customgame-296563
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2customgame-296572
    Lavos, sulcata, Luigi and 2 others like this.
  25. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best

I'm pretty sure that's the point. Counter is working correctly, not reflecting physical damage (or Hidden Power) invoked via Sleep Talk. Mirror Coat is reflecting special damage though and thus working incorrectly. That's how I read it, anyway.

I can damn well assure you sleep can last 5-6 turns on PS as well, go check tourney replays if you want a relatively large sample of games to sift through.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)