Hardest video game bosses

Thought of some more.
  • every F.O.E. from any Etrian Odyssey game. If you aren't familiar, here's the best explanation I can give: you're playing G/S/C and have a party of weakened level 20-25 Pokemon. You're in a regular random encounter battle but a few turns in level 40 Entei enters the ongoing battle and wipes the floor with you. Fiends in SMT are similar, but usually less overpowered and easier to avoid.
but entei would flee o_O

Kirby's Dream Land 2, Sun and Moon bosses.

They are an amazing pain because you have to kill both of them, effectively they are 2 bosses at once with individual HP. Unlike other bosses it is an amazing pain to dodge their attacks and move about the screen because at any point in time the other one is still hanging around, and if you bump into it you lose health.

To this day I can still can not beat this level, these motherfuckers have haunted me for over a decade now.

I'd say that water guy from Kingdom Hearts 2. Don't know his name but he uses water attacks and its after the first tron level. You meet sephiroth iirc before you fight him. This douche got me to give up on the game and the series.

Not even cool crossovers could make up for crappy and outdated game design.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^Demyx

I've never managed to beat the nest from Advance Wars: days of ruin. Worst turn-based strategy boss in the entire world.

Ugh, that one was annoying. The mission beforehand is pretty much the last proper battle. Anything other than a quick rush to destroy the nest is doomed to fail since it can produce much faster than you once it has a few cities captured. And God forbid the enemy CO decides to join one of his units. Once that happens his forces become unstoppable and you aren't even going to be able to touch the nest. I just followed a day by day guide which let me destroy in a few days. Which is just sad...

I'll contribute Beldr from Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor and The Four Kings from Dark Souls to the list. Beldr is annoying since he's a boss in game where you have 4 characters with 2 demons each on your side and out of them he can only be harmed by the main character's regular attack. And he has an attack that steals health from all of your characters at once. Which means that he might be able to outheal your damage to him. Hope you didn't level the MC as a mage.

The Four Kings were mainly annoying on New Game+ (or NG++ or +++, et cetera, et cetera) because of how their health very quickly got too high for you to deal with them quickly enough and so the second or third king would spawn before you'd dealt with the first. And if you summoned another player to help each individual king became much more resilient usually resulting in one of you being surrounded by all four kings at once.

I think the optional boss Demi-Fiend from Digital Devil Saga certainly ranks up there. As the link I posted explains, he has effectively 27,000 HP, all of his skills have an altered crit rate, and should you dare to enter the battle while utilising equipment in an attempt to reduce the damage taken, he hits you with a move which inflicts 9,999 HP damage to all characters and instantly ends the battle.

Devil Survivor's optional boss Lucifer ranks quite highly from my perspective too. Annoying resistances and immunities coupled with an attack which attacks all units on the field for solid damage and grows stronger with each use is not cool at all.

I'll contribute Beldr from Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor and The Four Kings from Dark Souls to the list. Beldr is annoying since he's a boss in game where you have 4 characters with 2 demons each on your side and out of them he can only be harmed by the main character's regular attack. And he has an attack that steals health from all of your characters at once. Which means that he might be able to outheal your damage to him. Hope you didn't level the MC as a mage.
This too. The battle can quite easily become impossible for any players who (in my eyes, smartly) didn't invest any stat points into Str, and frankly can become a major "You gotta grind, bro" headache in a game where grinding is an intense headache in itself.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
D:

The second bos of LoZ: Links Awakening. IE: Genie in a Bottle.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Zelda04-links-awakening-bosses.php#Genie This.... Fucker...

Not only does he TAUNT you with his stupid face, he has fireballs out the wazoo... and he creates illusions of himself (which have massive hit boxes) which then spin all over the map. At this point you have 4 (tops 5) hearts. He can be super super brutal the first few times. It took me like 3 weeks to beat this guy before I did it :( I was crying in rage.

I haven't had many other SUPER hard boss fights, That Dark Conflict boss was a nightmare (I also had to use a guide). But the mission afterwards with the ports was even worse :( All the guide said for that was "Good Luck Commander". There are some boss fights that were memorable, but not difficult per say.

steelbeak.jpg
Steel Beak: Darkwing Duck - NES
You guys have no idea. Game is very easy and fun when THIS MOTHERCLUCKER appears and ruins everything. He sends three floating drones that chase you nonstop while you try in vain to dodge and hang onto the ledge thingies to land maybe one or two shots at him. Each drone respawns almost immediately after killed and though they don't appear in the screenshot, they are about the size of the hangers but their hitboxes are as big as a firetruck.

d'sparil.PNG
D'sparil: Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders - PC
Christ. This is the hardest boss I've ever played. It is hardest than Contra. It is hardest the last 5 bosses of japanese Final Fantasy 3 (4 devas and the big boss). It took me three months of constant tries to beat this asshole. His first form is ridiculously easy but it is just a scam to make you feel confident. In his second form he spawns hordes upon hordes of Disciples (flying mages that shoot purple orbs), flooding the arena in moments with violet-colored death threats. Killing the disciples is futile as D'Sparil will replace them within moments. None of that would be too terrible a problem if it weren't for one thing: D'Sparil won't stop teleporting all over the place. Seriously, his teleport rate is through the roof. So not only the Disciples force you to be in constant motion lest you are hit by their relentless barrage of purple orbs, making it difficult to actually point your weapon at the level boss, he will flee to safety everytime you hit him once or twice and whenever the hell he feels like it, really. Very few times in my life have I felt such satisfaction like when I finally murdered this abomination. I keep the savefile from right before he dies so I can appreciate that moment over and over again.

I'd say that water guy from Kingdom Hearts 2. Don't know his name but he uses water attacks and its after the first tron level. You meet sephiroth iirc before you fight him. This douche got me to give up on the game and the series.
DANCE WATER DANCE

Hell, those camera angles were more difficult than the hardest bosses.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls was probs the hardest. The Four Kings is just a gear/build check, so he's a pushover...

Also: Flamelurker and Maneater from Demon's Souls were hard as fuck.

I mean at least Flamelurker was an extremely fun fight, despite being ridiculously hard. Ornstein and Smough are just the next generation of Maneater who was the original "GET STYLED UPON" duo

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ornstein and Smough are obviously there to teach players the merits of summoning helpful spirits. It's definitely balanced for two people or at least the help of Solaire. The final boss on the other hand is Flamelurker 2.0, and I can't believe you found Flamelurker fun (he's also an equipment check, just use water veil). Maneater just takes a bit of skill, one of the legit harder bosses in Demon's Souls but he's a bit overrated.

Huh, I never really got the Flamelurker hype. With a decent shield you can tank his attacks easily and his attacks are pretty predictable. And Gwyn? You can kill him pretty easily by swatting away his sword with your bare hand. Not really hard compared to the Four Kings or Seath's OHKO curses or the motherfucking Bed of Chaos (I hate it and its bullshit "try not to fall in a hole and die instantly" bullshit and surprise platforming segment so much). Or Manus, though I'm not sure if he counts since he's kind of meant to be hard. Gwyn just seems like a fun if kinda easy end to the game.

I'm gonna nominate Dreamy Bowser from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, too. It's a fun battle but if you're not overlevelled his constant retreating to heal really gets out of hand. Particularly if the game decides it hates you and instead of attacking you when you finally kill his lackies he immediately summons some more and heals himself again. And again. And again. I don't care if it's the final boss, I should not have to get lucky to even have a chance to attack him.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yes, Flamelurker and Gwyn are otherwise massively difficult bosses that succumb easily to a single strategy. Which is why they are bad bosses. Bed of Chaos also sucks because any character can cheese it with arrows. Seath is also super easy because you can hug his right tail and never get hit ever, I figured that one out on my own on my first playthrough.

Allant and Arturias are the legit hardest (and thus most fun) bosses in the series.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Yes, Flamelurker and Gwyn are otherwise massively difficult bosses that succumb easily to a single strategy. Which is why they are bad bosses. Bed of Chaos also sucks because any character can cheese it with arrows. Seath is also super easy because you can hug his right tail and never get hit ever, I figured that one out on my own on my first playthrough.

Allant and Arturias are the legit hardest (and thus most fun) bosses in the series.
I wouldn't say that Bed of Chaos sucks because it is easy with a bow (almost everything is easy with a bow if you abuse game mechanics ;)), but simply because it is one of the most unfair bosses in the game its attacks are almost impossible to evade and the fact that almost the whole floor collapses without knowing where (they could have at least slightly marked where it collapses and where its safe -.-). Seath is really easy with the right equipment he gets a complete joke.

I didn't know that you could parry Gwyn so easy, but i still didn't found him that hard and i think he, Artorias and Manus were the most interesting and fun bosses.

The hardest Bosses IMO were the Demon Sages since their AoEs where incredibly hard to evade (i never use a Shield though) and the places where you fight them are incredibly small (not as horrible as the Carpa Demon though who is propably the hardest in your first play through).

One of the 2 main Kingdom Hearts games has a difficult Sephiroth match...forget which, probably 2 though.

getting perfect ending in chrono cross was annoying as hell (more tedious than difficult) against final boss
Kefka from FFVI was a huge bitch for me.

and @Aldaron both Seph's were pretty difficult but the one in KH2 was much harder.
You guys think Sephiroth was difficult, try the secret boss in KH2 Final Mix. That bitch will make you cry...

It's not a boss, but it is pretty tough. On Rock Band 2, one of the harder songs is a song called "Visions." (for the uninformed, Rock Band is a Guitar Hero clone) That thing is HARD, even more so than Battery or Painkiller, or even Raining Blood. At least with Painkiller I can last until the first guitar solo on Expert. With Visions I can't get through the first 30 seconds of it on Hard. Also, my sister likes to sing, but she likes to sound as close to the original singer as possible, but Abnormality's lead singer sounds like Cookie Monster when she sings. (yes, the singer is female) So my sister won't sing Visions for fear of getting a sore throat. And on top of all that, the song sounds absolutely atrocious. So thank you Harmonix, for putting a song on Rock Band that we have to do (for the endless setlist) that not only is difficult to play, but also difficult to listen to.
this song is so stupid. it's literally easier to play on real guitar than it is to play on that game.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
How has nobody mentioned that giant spinning beetle from Donkey Kong 64? I replayed that game recently. I still have nightmares about it.

I WILL NOT COLLECT EVERY SINGLE COIN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)