How do you play Pokemon in-game?

I suppose I could give more details on how I usually play:

• I usually buy a guide for the game [unless I got a combo game like emerald, then I keep the one for the old game so long as it is good] and plan my team in advance for good moves and type advantages, then use it to find gym leader stats [so I don't run into a lv. 33 Mismagius with a lv. 20 Poocheyena] and important items.
  • I don't really do anything with IVs and EVs, as the team is usually temporary anyway [though I've only recently found out about competitive battling].
  • I try to conserve TMs unless there is not other viable choice for a good STAB move.
  • I try to stick to STAB moves and have 3 offensive moves and 1 setup or support move [with the exception of my water types usually have ice beam].
  • I do not use legendaries.
For HG/SS I plan to possibly use a team hatched from eggs bred in Platinum with mostly things in OU like Starmie, I don't think the Johto starters are that good, so I may cut them from the team.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
When I play, I always go for the Pokemon that either my friends use or have HM capabilities (which is why I never went for Charmander or Cyndaquil). Of course, I did use Infernape because it's Infernape.

Next, I always catch the Flying-type Pokemon (Pidgey, Starly), along with a few weaker Pokemon (Rattata, Sentret, Shinx). I always seem to catch a Geodude for some reason. My team will eventually get a few more Pokemon for type coverage and usually use one of the legendaries.

In-game, I don't particularly care about the natures of Pokemon as it's hard to tell the difference in-game, nor do I care about EV training. I mostly talk to all of the people to get more information and/or background about the surrounding areas.

I only speed run if I've already played the game before.

Unfortunately, both my Blue and Silver's internal batteries died, so I lost the save files for both.

Interesting idea. I've used some of them, but never done a team with them all. I'd be a bit worried about getting overlevelled though - it's easily done even with just one traded Pokemon, at least if you're like me and battle every trainer.
My recent GSC playthrough I used the Spearow 'KENYA' you get with mail. You only have to deliver the mail - you can move it to another Pokemon and thus keep the Spearow!

I think for HGSS I might pick five Pokemon (from those available pre-E4) totally at random. Add the starter for best balance and make that my team. Will probably make for an interesting team.

I use five NFEs and an HM slave through the game and then evolve them if I fail to beat the Elite Four. In Platinum my final team was: Hippopotas, Tailow, Magmar, Electabuzz, Scyther, and Monferno. I couldn't quite beat the Elite Four with them though. SD Scyther earned me quite a few sweeps.

Deathfox was that a fun way to go through. I was thinking of doing an all basic pokemon run through in HG/SS when it comes out. I was hoping that it would make the standard playthrough more challenging and maybe fun. Looking to start with totadile, and add mareep, yanma, and some others I am not sure of yet. Keep it small and simple I was also going to use the set battle mode over shift.

I rush through the game with my starter and whatever I can catch. As I'm an incredibly lazy trainer, I usually get stuck on the last gym leader and take a while in the Elite 4.

the first time I play regularly: starter + 5 random pokémon, with the HM's split over the 6 of them

then I do 1 or 2 Mono-type challenges

then I restart again, and I trade an egg over from the other version of the game, and use that as a starter

and then I do a monotype challenge or 2 again, and so on and so on

I grab the fire starter(ALWAYS) and catch the bird pokemon that always apears early on. these two stick with me the entire way. then I always grab a water and grass type. after that, I usualy pick up an electric type(pikachu usualy, though luxray for DPPT) and a HM slave. After every gym I train hardcore for 10 LVs, and then I move on. yes, this means that by the E4 I have LV 65-80 pokemon. I NEVER use ledgendaries as this just takes all the fun out of it.

My style is sorta in the middle, I don't ever raise all 6 mons equally or anything, but still I never speedrun and I face all trainers, talk to everyone, etc. Usually I just pick whichever starter, and I'll have planned out 2-3 mons to use alongside it. This group of 3-4 pokemon is the one that I level and use throughout the game, which of course leaves a couple slots for HM Slaves.

Also for whatever reason, whenever I start the game and I've just gotten my Starter, and I'm on my way to the first small town to do whatever, along the way I make sure that I run in to and defeat one pokemon from each patch of grass(has to be exactly one, I'll run if I happen to run into a second mon from the same patch). Don't know why, it's just something I've done for every game heh.

And yeah, this thread has totally inspired me to do an all out just-for-fun run though sometime probably over the summer. Maybe I can even get my friend to do one with me lol.

Call this weird(and this is for the people that play together with friends/family)....but when my brothers and I all played, we also made it a point NOT to use any pokemon family the other one was using(e.g.: In RBY, I picked Growlithe/Arcanine, so one of my brothers picked Vulpix/Ninetails and the last one had the Fire starter). Does anybody else do this?

I don't think I'll be getting off this nickname thing any time soon either. It's fun coming up with funny names :)

I played Diamond pretty normally but when platinum came out i just traded eggs from my diamond to platinum so i could have the team i wanted. by the time i was in the E4 i was using a SD Lucario lol

Ever since playing through PMD the first time, I've always nicknamed my Pokemon after family and friends. It's always fun to match names to new Pokemon :)
Hey Stylish, you do know there is other 'footballs' than the American and European kind, right? Anyway, I just play through the game just training up 2 or 3 pokemon I really like, and use the others as fodder when my favs die. fix them back up and send them back in. In the end I focus on getting money, cause I've wasted most of it

The best way to play pokemon with a new game is to do it like a child would do. It's always better to do it this way. I never took the most powerful starter, only the one that seemed the coolest. I don't care about IVs and EVs (natures a bit, I won't let an adamant Abra live, but usually a docile one immensely sufficient) and pick up pokes that I like, not because they're OU ( GO GO DUNSPARCE! ). I usually pick up 3-4 pokes and my starter always have a higher level. This way, dudes and dudettes, is the only way in-game should be played.

So long, pre-bred little babies and fights against lvl 3 kricketots with a lvl 100 Arceus!

My party throughout every game has been:

Starter (usually fire[mostly] or water)

Ownage SpA buddy(electric if possible) (pikachu in RBY, ampharos in GSC, gardevoir in RSE, misdreavus/gengar in DPPt)

Flyer (usually left at lv 2 or 5 or whenever I catch it)

HM Slave (str/cut/rockclimb/rocksmash)

Water HM Slave (tentacool/diver/waterfaller/surfer/whirlpool depending on the game)

Version Exclusive legendary (zapdos in RBY, Lugia/Ho-oh in GSC, Kyogre/Groudon in RSE, Palkia/Dialga/GiratinaO in DPPt)

Description:
The starter and buddy are usually 10 levels higher than the opposition and on par with the elite four until the champion most times. Everyone else is usually left at base. Of course I start training the legend once I get it.

Catch a pokemon to be HM slave, like bidoof.
Buy 3 potions, buy 10 pokeballs, and 5-10 repels(yes, I hate wild pokemons ;] )
I battle all trainers but stay away from tall grass.
when I'm on a cave, I always check all of the rocks for items xD.
Teach pokemons tm's early in the game.

I know this is odd.., but I buy all of the tm's in the veilstone dept. store like crazy, and I don't know why i'm doing that. when I reach solaceon, I immediately breed some of my pokemons for egg moves and natures, and i'm training around solaceon because they're all level 1. I also catch chansey's while i'm training. I get lucky egg and hold it for the rest of the game.

and so on.. xP
(I became lazy, uh =/ )

Before I play the game, I make a plan about what the final product of the team I want to create will be, and then I use PokéSav to give myself a level 5 and unevolved version of each member of my team (with each Pokémon starting with the moves they normally have at level 5, plus any neccessary Egg moves if my Pokémon is to have them at the end). For example, a while ago, I played Pokémon Platinum and used PokéSav to give myself a level 5 Magikarp, a level 5 Aerodactyl, a level 5 Charmander and three level 5 Dratini at the beginning of the game, so that I could raise them into a team consisting of Gyarados, Dragonite, Dragonite, Aerodactyl, Charizard and Dragonite at the end of the game, while more recently I played Pokémon HeartGold, using PokéSav to give myself a Bagon, a Gible and a Dratini at the beginning of the game each at level 5, as I wanted to raise a Salamence, a Garchomp and a Dragonite. I then play through the game, setting the battle mode to "Set" instead of "Shift", and battling only with the Pokémon which are to become members of my final team (I do not battle even with the legendary Pokémon that I catch along the way), while raising those Pokémon evenly in a very strict and particular order. What this means is that I start off with all the Pokémon in my party being on the same level. Then I raise one Pokémon so that it is one level higher than all the other Pokémon in my party, and then I switch to another Pokémon and raise it until it matches the level of the Pokémon I trained before. I then switch to another Pokémon and repeat, until all the Pokémon in my party are the same level again, and then I switch back to using the first Pokémon I battled with. For example, in the Pokémon HeartGold playthrough in which I started off with a Bagon, a Gible and a Dratini, the first Pokémon I battled with was Dratini, and I continued using it until it grew to level 6, at which point I switched to Gible, raised it to level 6, switched to Bagon, raised it to level 6, and then switched back to Dratini. The only exception to this rule is when I am battling an important trainer such as a Gym Leader, my rival (if I know that he will show up at a particular point in the game, meaning that this does not apply on the very first time I play a game), an Executive/Commander or the Boss of Team Rocket/Galactic, or the Champion, in which case I always position the Pokémon in my team in the opposite order to which I normally train them, meaning that I order my team such that the first Pokémon I train when all the Pokémon in my party are the same level is always on the final spot on my team (out of all the Pokémon that I train. So for example, in my Pokémon HeartGold playthrough, I placed Dratini on the third spot on my team, while in a playthrough in which I am using six Pokémon, the first Pokémon I normally train will be in the team's sixth spot), while the last Pokémon that I normally train will be on the first spot, regardless of the current levels of my Pokémon. Doing this has very often overleveled one Pokémon in comparison to its teammates, in which case I just stopped using the overleveled Pokémon until its teammates caught up to its level, and then proceeded as normal.

I usually try to catch as many Pokémon as possible at the beginning of the game, even though I know that I won't be using any of them in battle. However, as I progress to the later half of the game, I usually get bored with catching Pokémon, and at that point I'll either defeat any wild Pokémon I encounter to give the Pokémon that I intend to raise experience points, or escape from them if they don't offer enough experience points to be worth defeating (or, more often I'll even use Max Repels in places where I am likely to encounter many wild Pokémon, such as Mt. Coronet in Pokémon Diamond and Platinum, and Tin Tower in Pokémon HeartGold). If it is the first time I am playing a game taking place in the same region (for example, when I played Pokémon Diamond, the first Generation IV Pokémon game for the first time), I will talk to every person, pay attention to everything other trainers say, battle every trainer, and visit every house and location possible, in order to enjoy the story as much as possible. On the second time in which I play through the same region (such as when I played Pokémon Platinum), I still pay attention to what trainers and important people (particularly Cyrus, a character who I really like) say, though I will not do things like visiting every house and location, or talking to every person, though I still battle every trainer possible just for experience points. Generally, I play through the game considerably faster if I've already experienced the story before. I also don't teach any of the Pokémon that I raise any HM moves unless I want that move in my Pokémon's final moveset anyway. This means that if I am raising six Pokémon and encounter a situation in which I must use a HM move to proceed through a part of the game, I will have to temporarily deposit one of the Pokémon in my party (which is always the highest-leveled Pokémon in my team at that point. If more than one Pokémon has the highest level in my team at that point, I will deposit the Pokémon that most recently reached that level) and replace it with a Pokémon that can learn the HM move. After passing the point in which the HM move is required, I will immediately deposit the Pokémon that knows the HM move at the next nearest computer and withdraw the Pokémon in my team that I deposited before. However, I will always carry Pokémon that know HM moves if I am raising less than six Pokémon. However, I will deposit all Pokémon other than the ones that I intend to train when I battle the Elite Four, so that only they show up in the Hall of Fame, in the opposite order to which I train them (since, as I've said before, I reorder my team and make it that way before battling the Champion). I also try to make all the Pokémon in my team at the same level in the Hall of Fame, using Rare Candies just before battling the Champion if neccessary.

I also plan to play Pokémon SoulSilver, starting off with Rayquaza, Dialga, Ho-oh, Giratina-O, Mewtwo and Arceus, all at level 1 instead of level 5 (to make the game more challenging, since these legendary Pokémon don't have pre-evolutions, meaning that the first half of the game (as well as the entire game itself, though to a lesser extent) would be way too easy if they started off at level 5. It will most likely still be extremely easy even at level 1 due to the power of these Pokémon, though for some reasons I just really want to play through the game with six very powerful legendary Pokémon just once) when the English version of the game comes out, as I've already completed the Japanese version of HeartGold, so I want a different (though not new, as I've played Gold, Silver and Crystal many times before) experience.

I used to just abuse the starter, but when I started replaying the games I became a perfectionist. I had to have the balanced, perfect team, so I traded the underleveled pre evolutions of stronger pokes, (like bagon). It's actually fun over using the standard starter + bird + beaver.

Before I play the game, I make a plan about what the final product of the team I want to create will be, and then I use PokéSav to give myself a level 5 and unevolved version of each member of my team (with each Pokémon starting with the moves they normally have at level 5, plus any neccessary Egg moves if my Pokémon is to have them at the end).
I like this plan, it's what I do, but you seem to pick incredibly powerful Pokemon for it. I recently did a Sableye/Mawile run of Heart Gold with ease. Granted they both have great coverage and typing, but crap stats by the end of the game.
I almost added in a Farfetch'd but decided three was too many.

I recently did a Sableye/Mawile run of Heart Gold with ease. Granted they both have great coverage and typing, but crap stats by the end of the game./QUOTE]

I like your idea. May try it with Starter/Dunsparce/Masquerain

For HGSS, here's an idea: ditch everything but your starter after beating the Elite 4. Like Ash does in the anime when he goes to a new region. Then catch five new Pokemon in Kanto for use there. They'll take a bit of levelling, but it could be fun.

I think I'm gonna couple this with my random team idea before. 5 random Johto Pokemon, then 5 random Kanto Pokemon.

Before, I didn't care about Natures or anything and only EV trained after the Elite Four. But for HGSS, it might change... D:

Pokemon is making me into a perfectionist and I just can't catch a Pokemon and train it anymore (which really takes out the fun in the game >_<). Does this happen to anyone else?

And I hardly ever use TMs. I feel like I have to save them and end up not using them at all. D:

For what it's worth, I just generated my HGSS random teams. I generated random numbers between 1 and 493. If the number was the National Dex number of a non-legendary basic Pokemon available in Johto, it went in my Johto team. If it was available only in Kanto it went in my Kanto team. If available in both, Johto goes first, but once Johto was full it went in Kanto. If version exclusive, an alternative was generated for the other version. (The basic-only rule avoids biasing in favour of longer evolutionary lines).

The Pokemon need not be caught in their basic form. They are allowed to evolve. Other Pokemon can be used for HM mules only if necessary. (Haven't checked yet.)

The teams are:
Johto:
Starter
Pidgey
Rattata
Weedle
Poliwag
Skarmory (if SS) or Spinarak (if HG)

Kanto:
Starter, taken from Johto
Snorlax
Murkrow
Spoink
Baltoy (if HG) or Weedle (if SS; it has to be a new Weedle not the one from Johto)
Tangela

It's coincidence that the alternatives are in both cases themselves exclusive. (In HG Weedle is not found in Kanto)

This is gonna be...interesting. The Johto team's turned out a bit run-of-the-mill though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)