MLB 2016

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just did my HS League fantasy draft on ESPN tonight, and I have the highest ceiling team that I've ever seen before. I am kinda short on pitching but I've drafted high upside pitchers and plan to work my streaming magic.

I will very excitedly post this ESPN team on here after our draft tomorrow. I'd like feedback but at the same time not give away my high upside sleepers for tomorrow.
Your sleepers are probably the same as my sleepers. Although tbh I never do that much prep for fantasy baseball, so maybe you've got some that I'm not aware of.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
nLTk you have a wildly different list between what you kept on the page and here. which is real

right now your keepers are:

Gomez @ 42
Cano @32
Carpenter @ 8
Perez @ 8
Bumgarner @29
Jansen @18

biggie

champ
cbt These are your keepers per what you decided in the Yahoo page

Marte @ 22
Upton @ 21
Gallo @ 1
Archer @ 9
Richards @ 11
Walker @ 4

I could have sworn that I updated the keepers, but I must not have saved them?

I just checked and you're right, the noted keepers are the ones who I originally listed. Can't change it now I guess.

Alright. So this is the team that I have the privilege to take to battle with in my money league some old friends of mine started two years ago. I ended up winning the league thanks to talking with Stallion and Del Rio late into the night and blowing up Biggie's phone because he didn't remember to turn it off. I honed my fantasy baseball skills with you guys long enough that I would honestly appreciate some advise throughout the year if you're willing to give it to me.

The following league is in the first year of a keeper league, but it's weird enough that we have to extend our players "contracts" and we only have so many of each. We have one 5-year keeper, two 4-year keepers, four 3 year keepers, and seven 2-year keepers. The rest are released into the player pool at the end of the year. We can "extend" one player at the end of each year an additional year if their contract expires. There are some comp picks if we lose a player who is of high value too but I wont get into that.

For the most part I'm trying to win this league now or at least put myself in a good position to win the league now.

Draft Type: Snake
League Type: Head to Head
Number of Teams in League: 12 Teams
Locks: Daily
Scoring: Standard 5x5 (AVG R HR RBI / W SV K ERA WHIP)

C Blake Swihart
1B Anthony Rizzo (4)
2B Jonathan Schoop (2)
SS Xander Bogaerts (4)
3B Kris Bryant (5)
CI Brandon Belt
MI Corey Seager (3)
OF Yoenis Cespedes (3)
OF Gregory Polanco (3)
OF Stephen Piscptty
OF Kris Davis
OF Billy Hamilton
UTL Hanley Ramirez

Bench AJ Reed (2)
Bench Trevor Story
Bench Rusney Castillo

P Yu Darvish (2)
P Danny Salazar (3)
P Michael Pineda (2)
P Luis Severino (2)
P Taijuan Walker (2)
P Carlos Rodon (2)
P Glen Perkins
P Jonathan Papelbon
P David Robertson

Bench JJ Hoover
Bench Andrew Bailey
Bench Daniel Norris

My thoughts:
Again, this is a 12 team league with a roster size of 28 people each with 2 DL slots. This is a deep league. How I was able to pull off this kind of an offense while maintaining a week, but high upside amount of pitching is good. I purposely punted ace pitching to try to acquire more offense, because there are so many pitchers who just show up in the middle of the year that no one thinks is worth much that I can add. I also think that of Pineda, Severino, Walker, and Rodon at least one of them will blossom to a strong fantasy starter. I also have 5 closers in a 12 team league. So the addition of JJ Hoover and Andrew Bailey is to keep them away from other teams needing saves and to use them when I need them. If not drop them for whoever gets hot early season.

With there being 5 outfielders who start on a given day, my depth in that position might seem a little weak but most peoples are. Belt does not presently have OF eligibility so I can move him to OF when Reed comes up. Or I can throw Hanley to the OF and run a Story or a future pickup.

Honestly, I am extremely excited about this team compared to how it looks to others right now. I'm by far the best looking offense I'd say, and my pitching has the upside to turn into a solid staff by the break.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pls don't die this season Johncarlo Stanton. I'm pretty excited about my team this year, came in without a really set strategy, just a general idea of how I wanted to approach things and I feel like I came away with a strong squad. It's the sort of thing that in a one week head to head matchup and a bit of luck it could take out Imanalt and his retardedly good team.

Stanton, Crush, and Altuve started me off at the keeper slots so I knew that I wouldn't have to prioritize SBs or homers too heavily. With a strong set of offensive keepers and a high upside but unproven set of pitching keepers I felt comfortable focusing on pitching as a priority (also to be consistently even against pitching streamers). Mesoraco was my C target going in, coming off injury he was likely to be undervalued and has a strong chance at 20 HRs while not being named Schwarber. Castillo complements Mesoraco, filling in on off days an being insurance in case he gets injured again or just sucks. Longoria and Davis are fluffy power number stats which I'm cool with considering I'm punting average entirely. Andrus is a bit of a regrettable pick, at the time I was looking to pump up my steals a bit not knowing that I'd later get steals machine Billy Hamilton. Would have much ratehr gone and picked up Crawford in hindsight. In the outfield I picked up Bautista under cost which i wasn't expecting to get as well as ARod, both great additions to the old slugger collection gathering dust on my mantle. Finally there's Kevin Pillar, the man the Blue Jay murderer's row will be driving in 120 times this year. Nice cheap pickup, lots of runs.

Really happy with the way this turned out. I mentioned before that going in I didn't have a set strategy and after picking up Joey Bats it became clear that I could go all in on pitching and lock down a top set of pitchers. Keepers here were Harvey, Thor, and Stroman, three guys who could all compete for the Cy Young this year so I went out and picked up the probable favourite to win it in Kershaw. A starting four of Kershaw/Harvey/Syndergaard/Stroman is hnnnggggg. Ross and ACEstrada were mid tier pitchers that I expect to do well. People will harp on Estrada for regression as much as they want but playing in front of Toronto he will rack up wins like there's no tomorrow, amazing buy at $1 if he doesn't regress much either. Nicasio is my SP sleeper pick listed as an RP, he's almost definitely going to be a part of the Pirates lineup the way he's been playing so being able to get SP numbers from an RP slot is valuable. Great cadre of relievers as well as far as counting saves goes. Grabbed two of the upper-mid tier of relievers in Melancon and Allen and finished off with Storen who is being ridiculously underrated right now. The way things are trending he's going to get the closers role for the Jays while Osuna gets stretched out in longer relief appearances and high-leverage situations. Meaning Storen gets the saves. For the Blue Jays. And he was an established closer for the Nats last year. Why was he projected at $0 again?

Again, overall pleased with the way this turned out, think i definitely have a good shot at playoffs and I don't think there's any team that I couldn't beat. Imanalt is going to have a ridiculous year but with a bit of luck me and a few other teams could beat him.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
With all the hype that Imanalt's team is (deservedly) getting, I feel like my team is being pretty underrated, as well as a few of the other strong squads. Del Rio has gone for a very similar roster construction as me (star studded offense, hope to hit on some upside / underrated pitchers), ButteredToast has a pretty well rounded roster (although with pretty big holes at 2B and C, but with a completely loaded OF), biggie has a very high upside pitching staff and no real question marks on offense outside of SS and Texas Cloverleaf probably has had his best draft ever, with a loaded staff that doesn't compromise his offense (seriously, I think you're gonna be top 3 this year barring injuries). Anyway here's my post draft analysis of my team.

smogon bball offense.png

I'm surprised nobody has commented on my offense. I think it's stacked and can easily hold it's own against any offense in this league. I have Trout, Betts, Revere, Lindor, Fowler, Braun and Correa who all have the potential for 20+ steals. I have McCann, AGon, Schoop, Arenado, Correa, Betts, Trout, Braun, Sano, Lindor (long shot imo), and Fowler (also a bit of a stretch) with 20+ home run potential. I have nobody who is going to be a drag on my batting average outside of McCann and Sano. I am set.

smogon fantasy bball pitching.png

Now this is where my team might fall flat on its face. To have such a strong offense, it's kind of inevitable that pitching isn't going to be quite as dominant. Sale is there to anchor my staff, because imo he's the second best starting pitcher in baseball behind Kershaw. He'll win me K's on his own some weeks. Iglesias, Ventura, Matz and Velasquez all have elite upside. It'd be ridiculous to expect all of them to pan out, but if they reach their potential this season, I've got a group of young, cheap and high K pitchers to anchor my staff. Garcia as a solid veteran that I can rely on to give me solid numbers, someone this roster needs in case one of my young pitchers crashes and burns (or breaks their hand punching someone.....Yordano....).

With my closers, I was in no position to pay for saves (and I've never liked doing it anyway). 2 of my guys are former elite closers who are coming back from injury, and Ramos will surprise people on an improved Marlins team. I don't expect to be dominant with saves, but I think I have enough to at least give me the category against teams that have neglected the category completely. Giolito because he WILL be in the majors at some point, and he will be an absolute star from day 1. There was nobody at the end of the draft that jumped out to me, and this will save me from having to fight with others when he gets called up a la Correa.

All in all, I think I have as good a chance as any team to win it all this year. A lot of it depends on my pitching, but assuming my hitting lives up to the bargain, I will definitely be in with a shot.

Last edited:
No comment necessary on my team other than it will outslug everyone like it did last year (except championship week :pirate:) and I'll just stream you fuckers with the loaded staffs to death on the pitching end. That said, hopefully I hit with some of my high upside back end starters.

Really tho, multiple teams have a strong chance at contention and it's a testament to how good the managers are in this league when I whiffed on a few of my targets, which rarely happens.

Hey, we got one more week to go before baseball starts. I'm pretty damned excited about that. Spring Training is great and all after an off season without baseball, but the luster wears off quickly. There is no heart to Spring Training games. It is baseball, but it feels different. From the players to the fans to the announcers.

I'm ready for things to start counting. For that emotion to be put back into the game on Opening Day that transforms the game into what I love. Lets start keeping score. Counting stats. Having exciting 9th innings filled with prayers or desperation. Having each and every ball in the gap, stolen base, every bases loaded jam mean something.

Usually every year, I give my predictions for what I think the year will look like. It's funny going back and seeing just how wrong we all are at the beginning of the year. Even in late April and May, our predictions look bad. This year, I am doing something different.

This is what I WANT this years playoffs to look like and how I want this season to go.

AL East - Boston Red Sox
This should be obvious for everyone. I am a Red Sox fan and I'd like this season to end in a Red Sox world series. So if you were expecting something else, you're in the wrong place.

AL Central - Cleveland Indians
I live in the Cleveland area, so the majority of my friends are Indians fans. The Indians have not been good since the year they went to the ALCS and played my Boston Red Sox. I was in the 8th grade, and I remember being enemy number one that entire series. People would "prank" me in weird ways like cut out fifty Chief Wahoo heads and stick them in the slit of my locker or hide my Red Sox themed art project in weird spots every day. Dumb kids things. It was really fun to go to school, trash talk people about how much better Josh Beckett was than CC Sabathia (Beckett was a hoss that year my dudes), and be able to go home and watch that series.

And that was a great series. The Red Sox blew out the tribe in the first game and piled a FUCK TON of runs on CC Sabathia when Josh Beckett pitched out of his mind. Game Two was a close game too I believe, but we lost that. And Game Three. And Game Four. Down 1 game to 3, I got so much shit (fun shit, I enjoyed every minute of it) from my friends who said the series was over. Obviously they didn't remember the 2004 ALCS. Beckett out pitched CC again in game 5, and our offense just exploded in game 6 and 7. And we went on to sweep the Colorado Rockies who had that 23 game win streak coming into the series that my friends said the Sox "had no chance in."

I've been waiting for the Indians to be good since then. In most Red Sox fans mind, 2004 and 2013 were the magical playoff runs with the curse and the bombings. The 2007 title gets somewhat lost. But in my heart because of the Cleveland thing, it's just as special.

AL West - Texas Rangers
I have got no dog in the race in the AL West. I like the Oakland A's because it always seems like their rosters came out of a Major League movie and it's just a good story to see the Athletics win. Their mascot is also an elephant, and I'm love me some Ricky Henderson. But I figure that having Stallion's team back in the mix would be fun enough. Sadly, because of the Indians and one of the teams to follow they're not going to make it that far. At least I want them in the playoffs man.

AL Wildcard - Toronto Blue Jays
Could have given this spot to the Rangers or the A's I guess. Or to Kansas City. I love stolen bases. Instead, I'm throwing the Blue Jays here just because if the Red Sox, Blue Jays, and the vile team below all make the playoffs then the AL East will be pretty damned competitive and it will be a hard fought season. Easy wins are not as enjoyable as the hard fought victories. So lets have three teams from the East make it to the playoffs. And give this thread some life during the season.

AL Wildcard - New York Yankees
Yeah, I want them to be in last place. There is no satisfaction in that. Why make them be in last place when I can have my Red Sox crush their opes and dreams? There has not been a Yankees vs Red Sox playoff series since 2004. It's about time my team and my fathers team meet back up and for me to remind him and the rest of you Yankee fans who is the dynasty in the American League.

NL East - New York Mets
One of my earliest baseball memories was watching the Subway Series and rooting for the Mets because my father was being overly obnoxious about how good the Yankees were. The Mets disappointed me. I played the shit out of the 989 Sports game with Mo Vaughn on the cover with the Mets to try and beat my dad the few times he had time to play with me. He beat me every time. Maybe I should have been the Red Sox, but no matter.

NL Central - St. Louis Cardinals
My best friend Jessica is a Cardinals fan. While she isn't really all that into sports as a whole, it was really fun in 2013 to play the Cardinals in the World Series and to go against her to win. I bought her a Fred Bird hat for her birthday after my team destroyed them and I'd like to tease her because the Red Sox beat the Cards in the Series for the third time in my life.

NL West - Colorado Rockies
I can dream right? I like the Rockies. They can be the team this year who defies all odds and expectations and just murders everyone and makes it into the playoffs. They'll make a trade for like Chris Sale or some shit in this fantasy just to fuck with Stallion, and will just Ape Man their way past the Dodgers, Giants, and Diamondbacks. Thin air is no fair my dudes.

NL Wildcard - Chicago Cubs
Somehow, the Cubs and the Cardinals are rivals. This is the "2nd biggest rivalry in baseball." Someone explain this to me, because I don't get it. What the hell happened between the Cardinals and Cubs to get fans to hate each other? Is it because they are just close in area and in the same division? Seems kinda weak to me. Cubs and White Sox seem to be more heated than the Cubs and Cardinals. Then again, the National League just seems too... civilized and old timey to me. I love it at times because it's a different game and a different feel. But I don't see the Cards and Cubs players hating each other like the Red Sox and Yanks of my childhood.

Anyways, Cubs can get into the playoffs just so that they can lose hilariously and prove that Theo Epstein is not a curse breaker and that Jon Lester chose the wrong team. Also, fuck Joe Maddon. :)

NL Wildcard - Pittsburgh Pirates
Kinda want to see the Pirates have the 2nd best record in baseball again and then end up losing in a one game playoff again. Makes it fun for me I guess, and I don't have too many National League connections.

--------

THE PLAYOFFS

Wild Card
New York Yankees vs Toronto Blue Jays
Yankees have to win so that the Red Sox can beat them. But I'll be rooting for the Blue Jays.

Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates
Pirates lose the wild card again. This is funny to me for some reason. No idea why. Got nothing against the Pirates.

Division Series
Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees
My guys sweep the Yankees in three games. This is how it has to be. I want every game to be intense as hell. I want these wins to be hard earned, just to make it that much harder for the Yankee fans. And you know, for enjoyment of everyone and yadda yadda all that jazz. This Red Sox vs Yankees rivalry needs some more fucking fuel to the fire. Games have lost their edge in recent years because our teams have not been good at the same time. Either the Sox are garbage, the Yankees are garbage, or we're both garbage.

I'd also love for there to be a god damned F I G H T or six. (Last one is not Sox Yanks, but it's a good one so why not.)

Cleveland Indians vs Texas Rangers
Got to get the Indians to face the Yankees. Also got to root for the Tribe, because while they're not my team, having people around here give a shit about baseball is a good thing.

Colorado Rockies vs Chicago Cubs
The Cubs sweep the magical Rockies and dominate them from top to bottom! Oh wow, oh man! This could be the Cubs year!
St. Louis Cardinals vs New York Mets
Already stated that I'm looking for a St. Louis Cardinals vs Red Sox World Series. Having the Colorado Rockies as the best team in the NL was also funny to me.

Championship Series
Boston Red Sox vs Cleveland Indians
I'd like this to go 7 close games that come down to the wire each time. Heartbreak wins and losses for each club. Give me something fond to look back to when I get older again. Put an exclamation mark in the ALCS.

St. Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs

World Series
Boston Red Sox vs St. Louis Cardinals
Like I said before, if you were expecting something different at the end of this, you might want to spend a moment or two to rethink your life.

biggie

champ
AL Wildcard - New York Yankees
Yeah, I want them to be in last place. There is no satisfaction in that. Why make them be in last place when I can have my Red Sox crush their opes and dreams? There has not been a Yankees vs Red Sox playoff series since 2004. It's about time my team and my fathers team meet back up and for me to remind him and the rest of you Yankee fans who is the dynasty in the American League.

Joey don't be scaring me like this my nigga

(looks like some weird meditation he was doing in between every pitch, that or he needs an emergency appendectomy)

Bold prediction time GO:

• Trevor Story, not NL West SS counterpart and favorite Corey Seager, will be 2016 NL ROY
  • Carlos Carrasco finishes 2nd in 2016 AL CY voting, behind back-to-back AL CY winner, Dallas Keuchel
  • Maikel Franco has an Arenado-esque breakout, going 30-100 despite that god-awful Phils lineup
  • Delino DeShields leads the MLB in steals in '16
  • Carlos Correa has a sophomore slump, failing to reach 20 homers or 20 steals
  • George Springer stops getting injured by HBPs and crushes 30+ Springer Dingers with 25+ steals
  • Cards/D-backs NLCS

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
Bold prediction time GO:

• Trevor Story, not NL West SS counterpart and favorite Corey Seager, will be 2016 NL ROY
  • Carlos Carrasco finishes 2nd in 2016 AL CY voting, behind back-to-back AL CY winner, Dallas Keuchel
  • Maikel Franco has an Arenado-esque breakout, going 30-100 despite that god-awful Phils lineup
  • Delino DeShields leads the MLB in steals in '16
  • Carlos Correa has a sophomore slump, failing to reach 20 homers or 20 steals
  • George Springer stops getting injured by HBPs and crushes 30+ Springer Dingers with 25+ steals
  • Cards/D-backs NLCS
Your Correa prediction is wishful thinking so I tank in fantasy. Same as your Springer prediction. Correa >>>>>>>>> Springer.

Correa is good and all, but is he THAT much better than Xander, Lindor, and Seager? Could I see Story go on a Thin Air rage?

It is very possible for Correa to be the 5th best short stop this season. I mean, he is going to play good defense and he'll have his opportunities all season. But can I see some recession from last years numbers? Absolutely.

Stallion

Tree Young
Correa is good and all, but is he THAT much better than Xander, Lindor, and Seager? Could I see Story go on a Thin Air rage?

It is very possible for Correa to be the 5th best short stop this season. I mean, he is going to play good defense and he'll have his opportunities all season. But can I see some recession from last years numbers? Absolutely.
He played half a season last year, I think you're forgetting that. Plus I don't understand why people are so sure he'll regress. He's an elite prospect with very few weaknesses and he's still a kid. Sure, I think its within the realm of possibility that he regresses, but you'd have to be quite stupid to bet on it.

He played half a season last year, I think you're forgetting that. Plus I don't understand why people are so sure he'll regress. He's an elite prospect with very few weaknesses and he's still a kid. Sure, I think its within the realm of possibility that he regresses, but you'd have to be quite stupid to bet on it.
It's called bold predictions, dear... Is it possible Correa goes 25-100-25-.300 too? Yes. But sophomore slumps in the MLB, even for annointed "next great ones," certainly aren't unheard of.

And Springer breaking out certainly isn't wishful thinking. In fact, it's probably the least bold of my predictions. He was on something like a 35-20 pace last season before getting plunked by Volquez and suffering a wrist fracture.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
It's called bold predictions, dear... Is it possible Correa goes 25-100-25-.300 too? Yes. But sophomore slumps in the MLB, even for annointed "next great ones," certainly aren't unheard of.

And Springer breaking out certainly isn't wishful thinking. In fact, it's probably the least bold of my predictions. He was on something like a 35-20 pace last season before getting plunked by Volquez and suffering a wrist fracture.
Not the talent part of your Springer prediction, I know he has it (although I think that you predicting that he'll have a better season than Correa is bold, only because he still swings and misses far too much. I like CC's swing way more tbh). I just think he'll get injured again -__-.

PS, if we're talking about pace, over 600 AB's, Correa was on a 34/22 pace for a full season as a rookie SS...I think 25/25 is being quite conservative for homers and steals assuming health.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)