1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Welcome to Wi-Fi! Please remember to read the rules and do NOT create a new thread for simple trades or Friend Safari codes.

Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Discussion in 'Wi-Fi' started by mingot, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Snapback

Snapback

Yeah I was kind of comparing it to that. But okay I see, this is my very late reply lol. So NPCs can't mess with my while I am in and outside of the cave correct?
  2. PoJ

PoJ

Well, there are no NPCs in or outside of the cave, so no :P
  3. Snapback

Snapback

Lol oh woops :P
  4. Abra Kapocus

Abra Kapocus

Just so I'm clear, Cresselia's IV's and nature are generated when you wake up Eldritch's son from his nightmares, right? What is the precise moment?
  5. Biosci

Biosci !
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a VGC3 Winner

They're generated when you talk to Cresselia. I didn't even go by to wake up that kid until I needed to catch Darkrai xD
  6. Cel

Cel

I need help with my soul silver. I have done a good amount in kanto, and I have pokerus, but when I call Elm, he only ever says about pokerus. Please help, and yes, this means I will have more than just 2 4th gens.
  7. Shii

Shii zap
    is a Forum Moderator

Did you show him Togepi?
  8. Cel

Cel

[Accidental double post]
  9. Cel

Cel

Yes, I did
  10. PoJ

PoJ

Well you can always use Juggler Irwin if Elm isn't working (Although I don't know why Elm isn't working for you. He should. Did you try changing the date on your DS? Maybe he kept repeating Pokerus just for that one seed). Juggler Irwin is on the route right above Goldenrod. Here are the responses that correspond to Elm's:

K: I'm so glad you called!
    P: How are you? (And then a bunch of other questions >.<)
    E: Hearing about your escapades rocks my world!
  11. V4Victini

V4Victini Free Ohmagod
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

Can Bill's Eevee be RNG'd and if so what Method would be used?
  12. Biosci

Biosci !
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a VGC3 Winner

I believe it's Method 1 like the other Gift Pokemon.
  13. V4Victini

V4Victini Free Ohmagod
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

Thanks. Another thing, not sure if this goes here or SQSR but, which seed can be used to catch Scyther in the BCC. Tbh, I dont feel like sifting through all of them seeds
  14. potatosoup

potatosoup

Is anyone still using Emloop for RNG? If so, does anyone else's fail to work properly (when the first timer runs down, the 2nd one fails to start, and the 10 second beeper also doesn't beep...) Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
  15. Cereza

Cereza Tastes Like Candy

I'm going to try fishing RNG but I have a question. You use the rod 3 frames prior your actual frame right? For example; if my pokemon its supposed to appear on frame 254 I should use the rod on frame 251?
    EDIT:This is on HG
  16. GoldenBanana

GoldenBanana

Make sure that the lower box to the right of the start button reads 0 and the box underneath the timer is checked.
  17. V4Victini

V4Victini Free Ohmagod

Well I attempted to capture a Pupitar in Mt. Silver however I couldnt locate the right floor. I hit the seed correctly on every floor yet I kept encountering Quagsire instead of Pupitar. Are the encounter slots for HeartGold wrong?
  18. Princess Emily

Princess Emily

Are you using a SoulSilver cart using HeartGold Encounter codes?
    Or a HeartGold cart, but using a SoulSilver encounter codes?

HG and SS Encounter codes have some differences BTW.
    Or maybe you miscalculated a bit.
    BTW, sweet scenting advances 2 frames when in grass or cave.
    Or maybe there are roamers still playin' hide-and-go-seek.
  19. V4Victini

V4Victini Free Ohmagod

I caught/killed all my roamers and Sweet Scent advances it by 1 in my game. I was using a HG cart and this table. I dont know what kind of miscalculation I couldve made. The 1st Sweet Scent landed me on the frame it was supposed to and the Elm Calls matched up. The Quagsire even had the right nature and IVs.
  20. Zoap

Zoap

I believe someone else was having issues with Mt.Silver a while back, are you doing this on emulator or cart? The problem we deduced is that he tried to AR a synch in and it didn't work yet it was throwing everything off(don't ask me how).

I'll get my HG out real quick and just check on my own cart. The only other issue I can think of is Mt. Silvers floors aren't really well defined(serebii says pupitar is on floor 4, our chart says floor 3), and at the same time serebii although saying pupitar is in mt silver doesn't listed it on floor 4(or its %, not that that matters.).

So Ill test on my own DS and get back to you.

EDIT: Went to both floors(4th floor didnt seem to have a problem) but the third floor kept giving me Quagsire's like you said, I'm about to test each individual slot and see if its just a mistake or if it isn't even on that floor.

Reading back several users say the Encounter Slots are wrong for Mt. Silver and suggest catching a Larvitar, so you could always go that route(I'm still gonna test the encounter slots and see if I can get one to pop up).
  21. GoldenBanana

GoldenBanana

In 4th gen, where does the game pull random numbers from when determining how many times the pokeball will shake (when catching a pokemon)? It doesn't seem to be the upper 16 bits of the seed like usual, but I'm not exactly sure when the game rolls for these numbers either. I have a hunch though.
  22. Kaphotics

Kaphotics Remodeling Kitchens
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

PRNG, not mersenne

uses modulo (%) to determine each catch value from the upper 16 bits of each seed; if one of them is not lower than the catchvalue it stops the routine then and there. If you were to successfully catch a pokemon, the game would have to draw 4 random #'s and their % be below the catch value for each.

Pretty sure it uses the main PRNG (that is then unwound at the end of the battle), and it advances at a quick pace to ensure randomness. It might store a "next turn seed" at the end of each turn, so be wary of that.
  23. GoldenBanana

GoldenBanana

Multiple sources say that 4th gen and 3rd gen catch values use the same equations. So that would mean that the catch values in 4th gen would have to be 16 bit numbers. Wouldn't using a modulo on a 16 bit number to make another 16 bit number just spit out itself?
  24. Kaphotics

Kaphotics Remodeling Kitchens
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

If the game uses only the 16 bit seed, then it's just a compare of the upper 16 bits to the current catchvalue (That is, if the sources online are correct).

I got B/W mixed up with gen3/4, it doesn't use the modulo iirc. If you want to test it you'd make codes to freeze the PRNG so that the random numbers compared to the catchvalue are sufficient. Then you just see how it works etc.
  25. Caterbeedrill

Caterbeedrill

Hi, I wanted to know if there is a way to calculate the secret ID by hand on Pokémon White, and if so, how.
    Thanks

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)