Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

:/ I believe that my questions are not that hard for people who know RNG, I'm just learning this thing, so, I will have many many questions, then, why they get ignored? :( Here is again, a question I made:

What's regular calibrated delay for Pokemon Diamond? To abuse my ID using pikatimer. Thanks
Just go through the calibration phase as described here, and use your most common delay. You should get something around the 600s-630s.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is the best way to advance frames in SoulSilver? The frame I am trying to reach is 755.
I use the top right (advances by like 14, but a bit inconsistent) to get pretty close to the number then I use Elm to check what frame I am currently on, then advance by using Pokemon Search Party or calling Elm (both advance by 1).

How far in HG should I progress before I try to RNG with elm calls/everything else to make it easier?
Well, for Elm calls you'll need to progress until you've beaten the Elite Four (and been to Kanto, I think), and have a Pokémon with Pokérus; though it seems several other trainers can be used instead of Elm, their responses having the same pattern (I believe Irwin is one?). If that's so, you don't need to advance very far at all before you can begin.

Which game?

It's best to be at leasting hitting the same seconds consistently, though if you think you can get 14 every time that should be enough.

Alternatively, you can use a timer like emloop (see guide on first page); in the long run, learning to use such a timer would help a lot more, and you don't need to worry about weird dates on your Pokémon.

I am using Platinum. And didn't mingot say though that if you are just starting RNGing that it is better to first understand the RNG reporter?

Well, you use emloop in conjunction with RNGReporter. But if you want to do some going for your average delay first, go for it! Good luck!

Okay, I'm RNGing Latios in the E4, when I beat it to get my base frame (confirmed delay by calling Elm 10 times), it was 14. When I went through again, I advanced the frame by 9 using the radio to get frame 23. However, Latios wasn't shiny. When I checked it, it was on frame 26.

Was it something I did wrong? Or should I try 6 advancements this time?

You mean, saving in the foyer, checking your seed there, then going through the Elite Four? I guess it can be inconsistent, because of the NPC or other reasons. You could try 6 advancements...

Do you have any roamers out? If you do, you can RNG in Lance's room, which is easier.

Okay, I'm RNGing Latios in the E4, when I beat it to get my base frame (confirmed delay by calling Elm 10 times), it was 14. When I went through again, I advanced the frame by 9 using the radio to get frame 23. However, Latios wasn't shiny. When I checked it, it was on frame 26.

Was it something I did wrong? Or should I try 6 advancements this time?
If something like that happened to me (and it does all the time), I would try 6 advancements. If it happens again, there's something advancing your frame or you're doing something wrong. Try 6 advancements first.

You mean, saving in the foyer, checking your seed there, then going through the Elite Four? I guess it can be inconsistent, because of the NPC or other reasons. You could try 6 advancements...

Do you have any roamers out? If you do, you can RNG in Lance's room, which is easier.
Well, I'm one step away into the E4 rooms. As soon as the game starts, I immediately go straight to the Poke'Gear and check my delay with Elm. When confirmed, I advance via radio. Then slaughterfest through the E4.

Unfortunately I caught the dogs, since I thought you could RNG Latios from the Vermillion building...

If something like that happened to me (and it does all the time), I would try 6 advancements. If it happens again, there's something advancing your frame or you're doing something wrong. Try 6 advancements first.
It's the same delay and frame, I would assume the NPC moves the same (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm taking a minor break.

Edit- I think I do see a pattern starting... I advanced by 10, when it was originally 4, making it 14. Second time 10, 9 Advanced... Hmm. I think the NPC made me overshoot the target...

I think this is kind of trivial but I'm a little confused. I'm using Pandora's Box to find a TID & SID I can use to hit a specific spread for a Method J Pokemon. And when I plug all of the information into the RNG Reporter, it won't generate any spreads at all under Method J. It only generates the spread for Method 1. Can anyone tell me exactly what I should do?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think this is kind of trivial but I'm a little confused. I'm using Pandora's Box to find a TID & SID I can use to hit a specific spread for a Method J Pokemon. And when I plug all of the information into the RNG Reporter, it won't generate any spreads at all under Method J. It only generates the spread for Method 1. Can anyone tell me exactly what I should do?
theres a chance that the spread you want doesn't exist as a method J spread, there are some that don't

All of these guides are fine as long as the spread has a higher delay, but what if anything can I do when my average delay falls below that of most of the good physical spreads in the "Physical Spreads" excel spreadsheet?

Did you try it with a synchroniser of the right nature? Sometimes, some of the Method 1 spreads that don't exist under Method J will appear with a syncher.

All of these guides are fine as long as the spread has a higher delay, but what if anything can I do when my average delay falls below that of most of the good physical spreads in the "Physical Spreads" excel spreadsheet?
You mean when you're average is higher than the spread you want? To get them, the only way is to change your year. (Subtract a year to increase delay by 1, I think). If your average is lower than the one you want, you can use a timer.

So if my average delay is 620, and the delay of the spread that I want is 595 I have to add 25 years off my DS calender?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If I'm standing in a bush of grass happiness tapping for a shiny egg, is it possible to sweet scent, catch a new pokemon, and figure out how many taps are left?

Or else, is there a way to figure out how many taps are left outside of just counting them yourself?

I just spent the better part of an hour tapping up to 890 just to find my egg not shiny-- it's maddening . . .

So if my average delay is 620, and the delay of the spread that I want is 595 I have to add 25 years off my DS calender?
Other way round, I think... You're aiming for a 595 delay in 2010. So, that's a 620 delay in 1985. I'm not sure if the DS calender will allow that...

If I'm standing in a bush of grass happiness tapping for a shiny egg, is it possible to sweet scent, catch a new pokemon, and figure out how many taps are left?

Or else, is there a way to figure out how many taps are left outside of just counting them yourself?

I just spent the better part of an hour tapping up to 890 just to find my egg not shiny-- it's maddening . . .
To find out how many are left, switch to the coin flip app and flip it ten or so times, making a note of the results, then search (I think it has to be manually) for that string of results. You'll have to recalculate how many flips and taps are left yourself, though (remember switching back to the happiness checker advances by 2*n).

You should be on RNGReporter's main window after generating with your seed to do this, so you can see what each coin flip result should be.

Which brings me to my next question. Is there any way that I can work to reduce my delay I've seen some posted delays as low as 594. Is there a method to that sort of thing. Or does it depend on your version? I'm currently playing around in Diamond.

Well, I can hit 596 pretty easily on my Platinum; it might just depend on the specific cartridge you use. (Possibly even which DS you use, though I haven't tried a different). Or, just button mash faster... Sorry I can't be much help here.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So after reading more in detail about the IRNG, correct me if I'm wrong but

1 coin flip advances by 1

1 double tap happiness checker advances by 12 (with 6 pokemon party)
1 switch to happiness checker advances by 12

therefore:

12 x coin flip = 1 x double tap = 1 x switch?

So, if I switched to the coin app, flipped the coin 12 times (to see the results),

and then switched back to the happiness checker,

I could count it the same as if I had double clicked twice, right?

The above is probably not useful really, but it might be useful to help me keep track of where I am . . . I want to keep flipping and tapping as separate as possible in my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)