1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Nov's Novelties

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by nov, Jul 12, 2012.

1. nov

nov

Below is most of the work I've done while at Smogon. Hope y'all enjoy!

Monthly Art Contest (open)

[​IMG]
    The idea of a food chain came to mind when the contest theme was meal time, so I made a literal food chain. Tried to make the mons look as close to their anime designs as possible.
    Summer

[​IMG]

This came in to my head after thinking about what to do with the contest theme. I was going to draw a Groudon doing something promiscuous at first, but didn't like the idea. A bellsprout gone mad with power is much more humorous.
    perspective

[​IMG]

The image was desinged to play around the perspective of a wonky reflection to increase the terror factor of Sableye, donning a stunning grim reaper decor
    surrealism

[​IMG]

probably one of the better things I've done in my opinion. Was definitely a fun project, and I finally learned how to do sunlight (I made that part up as I went along)

Sawsbuck (open)

[​IMG]

Purugly (open)

[​IMG]

Darkrai (open)

[​IMG]

Lucario (open)

[​IMG]

Meme Gyarados (open)

[​IMG]

Volcarona (open)

[​IMG]

Realistic Sceptile Mock-up (open)

[​IMG]

Made through editing pictures

Ludicolo (open)

[​IMG]

Realistic Sawsbuck Mock-up (open)

[​IMG]

Made through editing pictures

Luvdisc Evilmon (open)

[​IMG]

Mr. Mime Evilmon (open)

[​IMG]

Scrafty Fire Punch (open)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Omicron

Omicron
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

omg that sawsbuck is amazing <3

I also love the glowing red lines on Kyogre

and Bellsprout is hilarious xD
  3. nov

nov

Oh good, I'm happy that people can tell that they are glowing. I wasn't entirely sure. And thanks for the praise!
  4. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

I love that food chain picture, the picture is posed really well and the mons are picked well and its done well and its funny, and that's why you're tied for second on the MAC poll!

Also I was flicking through the hide tags and then I opened on Sawsbuck and I was like holy shit this is amazing. Which it is. I'd love to see some more in that realistic style if you have the time, the brushwork is fabulous
  5. nov

nov

Uhh... I don't know what to do next. Any requests?
  6. RitterCat

RitterCat

A Purugly would be nice n_n
  7. gookie

gookie Adominnustrata
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

your line art could use some work, but like everyone else i dig the brushwork on sawsbuck

i request a lucario because i always request a lucario
  8. Eagle4

Eagle4

Can I request a realistic Ludicolo please! Thank you!
    Also, you've caught my eye as an artist before, especially the MAC entry. The CAP3 haz-mat flamethrower gecko was really good. The only reason I didn't comment about it was because I was banned, for being a tw*t. Oh well!
  9. nov

nov

yeah I know. Its because I have to make them by hand instead of a tablet. I'm still very new to digital art. Just got serious about it about 2 weeks ago. I'll get better over time tho.

EDIT: Just finished Purugly for Rittercat. I will start on other requests soon. Maybe not today, but soon.
  10. RitterCat

RitterCat

Oh my oh my oh my that is a simply glorious purugly thank you very much. I just love he brushwork you use for fur and such, it creates such a great effect :)
    luvdisced
  11. nov

nov

@RitterCat - Thank you! You're very welcome.

Here is an update of the darkrai I'm working on.
    [​IMG]

I'm having a small amount of trouble with the realistic part because I have nothing to base darkrai off of, but I'm doing my best. Any suggestions on things I can look at/ take inspiration from?
    I'm possibly thinking about changing Darkrai's hair and shoulder spikes into a smokey-like substance. Is that a good idea do you think?
  12. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

to achieve a realistic effect with darkrai just use a picture of madonna for reference

not for the faint of heart (open)
    [​IMG]
  13. bluehoundoom

bluehoundoom

I am digging this realistic style (the fur is really defined) and I do agree on your lineart needing work (it's hard to do but you can do it! ^^)
    May I request a realistic Scrafty if you have time?
  14. nov

nov

OF COURSE FATECRASHERS! Why did I not think of this before. The similarities are absolutely uncanny! both cause horrible nightmares, and both quite often get beat to death by fighting types when prowling around at night, yet they always come back because people like them for some reason.

and sure bluehoundoom. I try to fufill all requests.
  15. Oglemi

Oglemi I ask consent before I thrash anuses.
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Wow I really love the Sawsbuck, it has such a neat sheen to it.

This is some great stuff, hope you decide to stick around for a while ^.^
  16. nov

nov

Thanks Oglemi! I plan on staying for a few months, but then I'm off to basic training in the Navy. It may be a while before I get back once that happens, but I'll be back eventually.

Also I just finished Darkrai and hope everyone enjoys him as much as I enjoyed making him.

Edit: Poppy's Lucario is next!!!
  17. Omicron

Omicron
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

absolutely love the realistic textures on the Darkrai :D

I'd love to see you do a badass Volcarona in this style if you have the time :)
  18. nov

nov

Thanks very much. Volcarona happens to be one of my favorite pokemon, so I'd love to do one.
  19. coolbiz

coolbiz

Everything looks awesome, I love the epic meal time one.
  20. nov

nov

Been busy with the Smog and the Navy, but I've finally had time to work on Lucario today.
    Here's what I got so far

[​IMG]

I looked at a bunch of pictures of Jackals for this one. They have very speckled fur. Tried to emulate that. Another interesting thing I found out about Jackals is that they have very hard-to-distinguish pupils. The proportions if this piece are a bit janky tho. Lucarios thin pointy nose, when converted to real life looked weird. Had to mess with it a bunch. It'll look way cooler when I add the huge ears and hair...knob...things that Lucario has

Edit: Just worked on the proportions again. I fixed the right eye. It doesn't look like its bulging out of its socket anymore, like it is in this picture. Any other fixes anyone can see?
  21. gookie

gookie Adominnustrata
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

i really like the fur texture brush you use, and the blue is very very pleasing

amazing work man, i really admire your style

kinda looks like he has cataracts though haha
  22. nov

nov

DOESN'T IT THO!
    I only did its eyes like that because the Jackal I used had like NO pupils. I looked at another picture and saw the same thing. I finally found a normal one, but I had already done the eyes and was happy with them, so yeah, thats why that happened. Lol sorry
  23. Eagle4

Eagle4

I really like these realistic pokemon, and Lucario looks outstanding. I think it could possibly looke even better with its mouth open, to show the animalistic side of Lucario. Just a suggestion...
  24. nov

nov

I would, but I need to get on to that Ludicolo you requested, not to mention I was kind of an idiot with the Lucario layers, so it would be next to impossible to change much at this point without erasing half of Lucario's face, let alone its entire mouth.

Lol I have no idea how to even begin drawing a Ludicolo. Its a mexican pineapple duck and one of the most cartoony pokemon in existence. I just don't know what to do with it. We'll see what I come up with. This will definitely be my biggest challenge yet!

EDIT: Lol just worked on a rough draft. I'm not sure how realistic it'll look (I'll certainly do my best), but he's gunna look SO friken hilarious.
  25. RitterCat

RitterCat

I just can't get over how lovely your brush strokes are and how well they work at emulating fur but I am very excited as to how you will deal with Ludicolo haha

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)