NP: UU - Bye Bye Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm amazed at how many teams I vs on the ladder that are incredibly weak to substitute swords dance sceptile, its a joke. You always get more than one chance to get a sub up and if you manage to get that late game its pretty much over.

Its frustrating that you have no idea what any poke is.
But its nice when you can wreck face with the randomest things.
I've been running Sub/Punch/Tickle/Ice Punch Azumarill with lefties

I do need a more solid milo counter though because its really just been wrecking my teams.

I no longer have any idea what any Poke uses or what any lead signifies of the team it is on.

EDIT: has anyone tested Pinsir as a lead? I've been experimenting with the SR lead in the analysis, and was wondering what if any success others have had.

funny story one of my older teams has one loss and that loss is to a sd jumpluff

not sure why you weren't aerial aced? i lost because my registeel got dugtrioed and jumpluff had aerial ace for my bulky roserade (different metagame but same idea of flying stab).
I don't mean to toot my own horn but... ;)

I remember I also used SD Rosie... fun times.
--->

Anyways, I would wager Glaile being one of the best leads at this point in time. He fails to hurt shit like Registeel and Regirock but Taunt prevents setup of SR or w/e. Stab Ice Shard is wonderful for Revenge killing in this meta as well.

whatever happened to Uxie being the all around best lead out there...unpredictable, reliable, movepool really wide and pretty much can get the job done, but that's not to say so easy even a caveman can do it. I just see Uxie has being the lead that can do just about anything the droid phone can do...

Uxie only does
Stealth Rock
U-turn
Yawn
Trick
Trick Room
Rain Dance
Sunny day
Thunderwave
ABOUT EVERYTHING

(yes i used alot of commercial puns hahaha)

The lack of offensive utility is the main reason I dislike using her. If you attempt to throw on a coverage move you generally lose out on other usful moves. However, Hp Grass/ Grass Knot would be an interesting move to use on Uxie.

The lack of offensive utility is the main reason I dislike using her. If you attempt to throw on a coverage move you generally lose out on other usful moves. However, Hp Grass/ Grass Knot would be an interesting move to use on Uxie.
Mesprit does that better. And Uxie isn't really that unpredictable, really it's gonna be either Trickscarf or use Stealth Rock + Thunder Wave/U-Turn. Uxie leads do terrible against Omastar and Cloyster, probably another reason they aren't as common.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've been using Mesprit for the past few days, and it's been pretty cool. I just use a simple 252 HP/ 252 Sp Atk EV spread with a Modest nature, GK to get easy KOs on Rhyperior, Omastar, Cloyster and Donphan, and T-Wave for shit like Moltres. Good stuff.

I've been using a sub-seed Ludicolo. Neutrality to Ice Beam is awesome. Also, everyone for some reason suspects Rain and switches in Blissey just to get stalled to death. XD

I finally found a semi-stable team... About time!

Anyways, SD Feraligatr has been performing absolutely great! A simple set of Swords Dance/Waterfall/Return/Aqua Jet, Life Orb'd and Adamant easily rips through teams after the disposal of Venusaur/Sceptile. Another solid poke so far is Taunt/Nasty Plot Missy (Life Orb Timid)... absolutely rapes stall and offense alike. Hariyama performs in the lead position just as well as it did last metagame, just make sure you have a solid flying resist to take on the random Scyther/Moltres leads you find around.

And that's all I guess...

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm Inclined to agree RolfKip. Surprisingly, DDgatr isn't strong enough and SD Gatr has JUST the right power. It's shame it's outsped by Venusaur by ONE MEASLY POINT.

I too have found *stability* and most of that is due to these 2 pokemon.

And I know I like to chatter and repeat myself but seriously Mismagius and Torterra rock.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
No! PK Gaming... Don't tell everyone Bulky Missy is good, make them think its a Smog fable! I still need it to be a suprise! :O

In all seriousness BulkyMissy + Spikes + Stealth Rock is win, especially when Roserade's awesome unpredictable spikesyness was still around.

what are the mesprit leads running? Theyre a huge threat (my whole team is weak to boltbeam, seriously.) Usually u-turn, trick, rocks, grass knot, so theyre walled by vensaur, but every once in a while you get boltbeamers with psychic. Main reason said vensaur has max HP/max Sp.def + light screen. But it still makes an awesome defensive core with max HP/Max def donphan
im very uncreative with my EVs lol. Thinking about running choice band donphan though, seems nice. Anti ghost spinner. Hit em on the switch with payback. Milotic comes in? Massive damage from earthquake! Forcing it to either recover, or hit vensaur with surf, forced to switch out, and unable to switch in. Thoughts?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was experimenting with LO Donphan before as well, but the extra power of CB/LO isn't usually needed (The only place you'll need it is against Milotic). Most Ghosts are OHKO'd by Head Smash (Or Spiritomb's case, EQ does quite a lot of damage to it anyway).

Just jumped back into UU since the Cresselia/PorygonZ period, and this has definitely been one of the most fun phases of UU I have ever played. After the tier has settled a bit (meaning no more Rock Polish Steelix users), there seems to be an incredibly stable metagame that still maintains its diversity and unpredictability. A few observations:

For the major Grass types of UU, Venusaur, Sceptile, Torterra, and Tangrowth, there are about 3-4 completely viable sets for each of them, and people have been experimenting more instead of just SD Venusaur, Mixtile (who can still run like ten different moves), Rock Polish Torterra, and physical wall Tangrowth. Venusaur have been running around with Scarf sets, special sets, physical tank sets, special tank sets. I've been using Subpunch Sceptile lately, and it kicks ass. It works especially well with heavily special teams, who need a great Chansey/Registeel lure. Torterra is scary as hell to face, especially sets with Substitute. Tangrowth has been sweeping with Sunny Day sets and walling nearly every physical attacker. Grass types in UU are among the most versatile pokemon ever.

In relation to that, it seems as though just about every pokemon in UU has about 4 different sets, all totally usable. Even Milotic is stupidly unpredictable. This definitely wasn't the case in the Cress metagame.

With its wide movepool, good attack stats, and speed, Mesprit has been working as a wonderful safety net vs. just about any threat except for faster ghosts and dark types. It also helps a lot against balanced and offensive teams, checking threats and spreading paralysis really well. It seems similar to CAP's Krillowatt.

It also seems as though people have given up trying to make Cloyster, Omastar, and Qwilfish work as Spikers to fulfill Froslass' role, and are shifting away from the spikestacking teams to more conventional team archetypes. Spiker + Double Ghost is a bit too much to ask for for many teams. This is definitely a nice thing to see.

The lead game is pretty crazy as of right now. Not too many of anything. What have you people been using? I've been using 227 speed, max special attack, rest in HP Venusaur with a special attacker set that catches a lot of stuff off guard. Choice Scarf leads people to play against lead Venusaur a specific way, and non Scarf Venusaur gives people a lot of trouble.

EDIT: Milotic's a bitch.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Slowking pairs up decently with Tangrowth, and so does Chansey.

I've been using a Mesprit lead, and I love it. U-turn/Grass Knot/Psychic/Thunderbolt, although I've been thinking about T-Wave instead. A slow U-turn is great =)

I think that I've found a pretty reliable team, although it certainly is much harder to cover stuff now. At least teams were predictable last metagame...

A few other notes -

Life Orb Arcanine is really, really good. Not having much survivability isn't good, but it doesn't matter when you're just killing things anyway. Plus, there's always Morning Sun.

If you can remove Spiritomb from the game, Alakazam really tears shit up. Encore is just nasty, and then the base 135 SpAtk takes over.

Tangrowth seems to be getting more popular, which means people are finally realizing how dangerous Torterra is(amongst other things).

Also, how many people use Ice Punch on Azumarill? I think that it's a great move that works really well these days, since the number of people who switch Venusaur into Azumarill is really high. Any thoughts?

Is it just me or on the main Pokemon moveset section that they put Raikou, Umbreon and Froslass BACK in UU when they were BL and OU respectively only a week ago? Just curious.

Also, how many people use Ice Punch on Azumarill? I think that it's a great move that works really well these days, since the number of people who switch Venusaur into Azumarill is really high. Any thoughts?
Double Edge > Ice punch, covers both croak and saur. The recoil isnt an issue if you run restalk.

I've been running a Modest nature on my SubZam currently and the power boost is really welcome to get those 2HKOs. Risking a Speed tie with opposing Zam/Sceptile/Dugtrio isn't really my thing, so I don't care about them. Ambipom is usually dead by the time Zam starts rampaging, and if they're alive they always Fake Out my Sub instead of U-Turning, so they still die. The only thing that sucks is that max Speed Modest Zam sits at 339 speed so it ties with Missy and Scyther, but it's worth it to have a Special Attack stat of 526.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)