np: UU Suspect Test Round 2 - Cold As Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banning Baton Pass is stupid as all hell. Not everything with Baton Pass ends up being broken, which proves that Baton Pass isn't broken in of itself. Taking away not-broken options of certain Pokemon is ridiculous. You're nerfing Ninjask et al. for absolutely no reason. I don't care if it's "easier" to ban Baton Pass instead of its potentially-broken users. All you're doing is basically taking a broken Pokemon and banning one of its moves to try to make it viable. It's that whole "let's try banning Dark Void instead of Darkrai!!!" shit all over again.

If a Pokemon is broken when it uses a certain set, ban the Pokemon.

Banning Baton Pass is not a good idea. If you guys want to point fingers at anything, consider Espeon for its ability to take Taunt and Roar off of the table, two regularly seen moves anyone can incorporate on a standard team.

The thing I'm not hearing about is the success stories of the players using Baton Pass teams. Is anyone really winning that consistently with these strategies?
I agree...Espeon hesitates ppl from immediately swithing to their roar/taunter...and without espeon, BP would be alot easier to deal with...
Off of experience, I have MUCH easy and simple success with BP teams (mostly smash pass teams)...its mostly been because of the combo of azelf and smeargle...leaving the opponent in a checkmate position, but espeon is just insurance, in case a certain situation arises where it is needed, but Ive used it less than i thought it would be needed...As I stated with my BP teams, I have only lost to teams that either have haze, hax, or two or more priority users..Not saying that those are automatic counters and I auto lose when my opponent has those, but it just makes it harder for me to win.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Banning Baton Pass is not a good idea. If you guys want to point fingers at anything, consider Espeon for its ability to take Taunt and Roar off of the table, two regularly seen moves anyone can incorporate on a standard team.

The thing I'm not hearing about is the success stories of the players using Baton Pass teams. Is anyone really winning that consistently with these strategies?
The #2 ranked player on the UU ladder (Mihnea) is dominating with a Baton Pass team.

Edit: Haha I mean't Mihnea not straits >_>

The #2 ranked player on the UU ladder (straits) is dominating with a Baton Pass team.
Actually, he bested my alt Ninjoe by 10 points. So straits is currently #1. Says a lot about how great baton pass can be with things like Celebi, Mew, and Espeon available. I'm guessing the team uses an Espeon, I don't see anyway for a BP team to get #1/1430+ without something that stops phazing automatically. (I haven't played straits yet, if it wasn't obvious already.)

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Anyone else sitting around near the top of the ladder want to share their strategies?

I use a couple of extremely powerful choice band users that weaken scarf staraptor's popular counters (empoleon and rhyperior, specifically) until it can just spam Brave Bird and win. I also have two pokemon who are specifically built to break stall and a mid-game sweeper with my own special EV spread that checks a very large amount of the metagame, including baton pass, staraptor, and mew. All in all, a pretty solid offensive team with just a few gimmicks (because it wouldn't be my team without them ^___^).

For reference, I took some time to ladder today so I'm 4th right now, although I'm probably not going to bother climbing higher due to the metagame not being very much fun right now. I'll still be on the ladder messing around with a few criminally underrated pokemon though (cresselia, kabutops, scoliopede).

I agree that banning Baton Pass is really, really not a good idea. The Pokemon that are broken with it (if any) should be banned (e.g. Gorebyss, Mew, etc.).

Anyone else sitting around near the top of the ladder want to share their strategies?
Well now that you ask...............

I've been using a very Heysup'y team with Froslass and a bunch of sweepers. I use Heracross and Whirlwind Restalk Lax to destroy walls (Whirlwind counters into Spikes/SR with Lax) for the most underrated threat atm: ScarfCham. Not overly prepared for anything but I do have ways to beat ScarfRaptor and BP (Trick on Scarf Cham is lol).

this metagame sucks ass.

you know chanseys broken when it walls reckless staraptor.

wobb + trio is BS. that is all.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, he bested my alt Ninjoe by 10 points. So straits is currently #1. Says a lot about how great baton pass can be with things like Celebi, Mew, and Espeon available. I'm guessing the team uses an Espeon, I don't see anyway for a BP team to get #1/1430+ without something that stops phazing automatically. (I haven't played straits yet, if it wasn't obvious already.)

I actually haven't seen MoP use Baton Pass much, from what I've seen he mostly uses Hail. The guys whom I HAVE seen ladder almost exclusively Baton Pass are M Dragon and Bloo (Minhea). Any way you look at it, it is clearly possible to ladder exclusively a Baton Pass chain and be a top 5 UU player.

For what it's worth, I'm using Froslass for Spikes, then Wobbuffet and a Pursuit user to clear the way for Raikou. I'm #8, at 1381.

BP is not broken, espeon is what is pushing it, without a lot of effort you can't send your roarers without them having something like u-turn since espeon is coming, Crobat is actually quite good, Taunt in ninjask protect and u-turn in the BP, taking a big chunck of espeons health, but still if he predicts then you're likely against something like togetic (don't ask, it's awesome), there are not a lot of things that can reliably stop BP, and most stall and defensive teams might not have a single one, still most set-up sweepers are likely gonna have a nice time i they carry sub, but they lose some coverage, surprise is really the best answer to beat BP teams, but then that could apply to many teams (and more likely only gonna work once)

Well now that you ask...............

I've been using a very Heysup'y team with Froslass and a bunch of sweepers. I use Heracross and Whirlwind Restalk Lax to destroy walls (Whirlwind counters into Spikes/SR with Lax) for the most underrated threat atm: ScarfCham. Not overly prepared for anything but I do have ways to beat ScarfRaptor and BP (Trick on Scarf Cham is lol).
lol so its been either you or someone else that's been using that resttalk snorlax...its been a real pain in my side, as it most of the time gets lucky with the sleep talk...and sometimes it always predicts right when its about to wake up..thats another counter to the BP list with a lil luck

, Crobat is actually quite good, Taunt in ninjask protect and u-turn in the BP, taking a big chunck of espeons health, but still if he predicts then you're likely against something like togetic (don't ask, it's awesome), there are not a lot of things that can reliably stop BP, and most stall and defensive teams might not have a single one, still most set-up sweepers are likely gonna have a nice time i they carry sub, but they lose some coverage, surprise is really the best answer to beat BP teams, but then that could apply to many teams (and more likely only gonna work once)
ive seen a crobat carry haze with great success lol and kinda surprising for me and other ppl..

carrying a fast sub user against smashpass teams is the way to go if the user lets ya..which is why i always make sure my azelf dies doing a taunt at least

I'm using the same hail stall team I used last round except with Taunt/Spike/Sub/Blizzard Froslass over Kyurem.
EDIT: #6 right now after being away for a few days and playing for an hour or so.

lol so its been either you or someone else that's been using that resttalk snorlax...its been a real pain in my side, as it most of the time gets lucky with the sleep talk...and sometimes it always predicts right when its about to wake up..thats another counter to the BP list with a lil luck
It wakes up the same time every time...doesn't it?

I didnt play this entire last week. Played today and i'm already top 5.
edit: I agree though, if espeon is gone baton pass will be a lot more balanced.

after a bit of playing around finally settled on an offensive trio of LO Mamo + specs jolt + CBraptor w/ spikes support from whorelass. gets quite nicely around those fagg0t evolite chansey/duslops stall cores. flat out shits on offense too.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Wobbufett / milotic / dugtrio / chansey beats like 90% of the metagame by itself pretty much. Been running various other junk, such as mew, staraptor, froslass, raikou, xatu, rhyperior in that last slot (raikous probably been the best).

Honestly you can get away with running wobb / dugtrio / xatu and 3 scarfers even (yes i tried this and yeah it worked like a charm) because you absolutely wreck stall with those 3 mons so you can dedicate the other half of your team to just screw offensive stuff.

Wobbufett's obviously broken and isn't gonna last another round.

Sans wobb, espeon is much more broken than any of the other suspects combined now that it gets baton pass...I'd probably rather see espeon go then Smash/baton pass (at least see how that goes for a round anyway) tbh.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Any way you look at it, it is clearly possible to ladder exclusively a Baton Pass chain and be a top 5 UU player.
This isn't really saying much since the ladder is significantly less populated than it was last round. I played for like 30 minutes the other day and got into the top 25 of the leaderboard, I think I'm still around 1280-something and I haven't even made a "real" team yet. I just took my team from last round and replaced Kyurem with Staraptor (and annoyed at the results, it was way overhyped as I thought initially). I'm not meaning to brag (I'm too unlucky to consider myself "great" at this game), but I was just saying how "some people on the top of the ladder use BP!" isn't a really strong statement at this point.

Speaking of which, the Staraptor fad has really died out. In the first couple days I saw it in almost every match but now it's nowhere to be seen.

Wobbuffet is AMAZING, I still don't understand how it never gets high usage stats.

Also, lol@ banning Baton Pass. Espeon is the only reason why that would even be considered at this point and it's not exactly a difficult pokemon to knock out. Plus it will likely go OU before it's banned by normal means. Team previews makes BP way easier to handle.

...I always thought Espeon was broken, even without baton pass. I mean, in OU, it's alright because so much can handle it, even walls like Ferrothorn can kill it easily. But in UU, it's a bit too good.

Wobbuffet is AMAZING, I still don't understand how it never gets high usage stats.
After seeing a good woobuffet (yeah, i've never had problems with it), i can see why people call it broken, it's not horrible, but really, when you have missy killed by it, even if you predict correctly, they only need encore, i still don't think is broken, but being able to bring the Pink Blob unharmed (when she was in the doors of hell already) and wish to full health, it's so annoying, WoobSey is really powerful since you encore to bring chansey at full health or to wish to make Wobb to full health, it really breaks stall and many offensive teams, after seing it in conjunction with the Krokodile/Honchcrow to pursuit (and get +1) and starts breaking everything, it mught be too much

Espeon is awesome, but without BP he doesn't break BP chains, they were easily handable last gen, but now, espeon block any try to actually do something to stop them, and they just become really hard to stop without haze

Is it me? or are teams like now prepared for Baton passing...but overly prepared..more on like everyone has three priority users now..ive been running into haze+crobat, timid choice scarf jolteon, and my personal favorite Haze+dragon tail Milotics/blastoise..lol not just one team, these things have been popping up everywhere...lol i understand adjustment but damn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)