Official NBA 2011-12 Season Thread

How's their bench? srs
Assuming Mavs'll have Collison/Carter/Marion/Dirk/Kaman as starters, they'll have Haywood, West, Beaubois, Wright, Cunningham.. which is shallow. Adding Brand may help, but still no shooter and very weak on wings.

These moves (Brand included), basically makes Dallas a 7th-8th seed team coming from lottery team.

Assuming Mavs'll have Collison/Carter/Marion/Dirk/Kaman as starters, they'll have Haywood, West, Beaubois, Wright, Cunningham.. which is shallow. Adding Brand may help, but still no shooter and very weak on wings.

These moves (Brand included), basically makes Dallas a 7th-8th seed team coming from lottery team.
They used their amnesty clause on Haywood (thank goodness) so the projected starting line up right now would be:

PG: Darren Collison
SG: Dahntay Jones
SF: Shawn Marion
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Chris Kaman

bench:
Vince Carter
Roddy Beaubois
Brandan Wright

My guess is that the Mavs win the auction on Elton Brand (there is mutual interest and there is no one else who has the room to bid more or has the need to build more) and re-sign Delonte West. I also expect them to add a low minute shooter in the Peja role (Michael Redd maybe?).

That makes the Mavs 10 deep with Elton Brand, Vince Carter, Delonte West, Roddy Beaubois, Brandan Wright off the bench. That is no less shallow than 2011 with Jason Terry, JJ Barea, Brendan Haywood, and Peja Stojakovic's corpse.

Dirk/Kaman/Brand/Wright is easily the one of the best frontcourt rotations Dirk has played with, maybe even surpassing Dirk/Chandler/Haywood (because Haywood sucked so much lol), definitely better than Dirk/Diop/Dampier.

You guys are underestimating the impact Dirk Nowitzki has; Dirk alone puts the team in the playoffs. This team is much better than this past season's (which was a 7th seed). The only real loss from last year was Jason Terry. Jason Kidd is addition by subtraction, Mahinmi had little impact on the game, Haywood is also addition by subtraction.

This team is not as good as OKC, Spurs, or the Lakers right now, but they are definitely at the Memphis, Clipper level which is a solid 5th seed.

The Timberwolves have also made some nice moves this offseason. They will definitely contend to try and join that Memphis/Dallas/LA Clipper tier of teams in the west.

Right now I see the west as:

1. OKC
2. LAL
3. SAS
4. LAC
5. DAL
6. MEM
7. MIN
8. HOU

Why are the Lakers trying to get rid of Bynum? In my opinion they should try to get rid of Metta. This would have been my preferred line up pre Nash:

Kobe, Bynum, Pau, Metta and Howard

With Nash:

Kobe, Nash and Pau/Bynum/Howard

I think 3 7 footers would be awesome.

IDK Darkie. I don't think that LAL will take SAS out of the top two just because they have Steve Nash now.
LAL and SAS are basically even in my mind. Adding Nash should help their offense flow much better and Mike Brown is already a good defensive coach.

Why are the Lakers trying to get rid of Bynum? In my opinion they should try to get rid of Metta. This would have been my preferred line up pre Nash:

Kobe, Bynum, Pau, Metta and Howard

With Nash:

Kobe, Nash and Pau/Bynum/Howard

I think 3 7 footers would be awesome.
How do the Lakers get Dwight Howard without giving up either of Pau Gasol or Andrew Bynum o_O

Haha i know it is impossible. Just that it would be awesome as i can't think of another team that had 3 7 footers of that caliber.

I hate the Lakers... Their the lesser of two evils though. Still, even i would watch a Metta-less Lakers team with 3 7 footers. But that's just a fantasy of mine.

If Howard doesn't go to the Lakers than i guess i'll stick with the Mavericks and wait for a day when the evil empire can be brought down. When the Heat won, i felt it was a lot like that moment in SW Epissode 3 when Darth Sidious proclaims himself emperor and then that chick says: "so this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause".

darkie, dunno yet, but I believe Wolves is over Mavs right now. Dirk is still Dirk, two years older however from their winning year. I don't think he'll ever go back to that level again...

Kwame Brown to Philly. Exactly what they needed, a great rebounder with a proven post game that commands an automatic double team.

-______-

Yep, Mavs won the Elton Brand auction with a bid of $2.1M. This leaves them with still enough room to go after a solid shooting guard.

Well I do not see how Chris Kaman fits into this shit at all, that is going to go about as well as fucking Odom did, but I am super excited for the Brand and Collinson adds. I was jizzing my ass off about Collinson's potential his one year on the Hornets when Paul was benched and he put up random 16/14 games over and over. Nothing like that happened in his time with the Pacers, but he hit 14 assists or more seven times in a limited amount of time starting, that does not seem like a complete fluke!

Well I do not see how Chris Kaman fits into this shit at all, that is going to go about as well as fucking Odom did, but I am super excited for the Brand and Collinson adds. I was jizzing my ass off about Collinson's potential his one year on the Hornets when Paul was benched and he put up random 16/14 games over and over. Nothing like that happened in his time with the Pacers, but he hit 14 assists or more seven times in a limited amount of time starting, that does not seem like a complete fluke!

at least Kaman is better than Brendan fucking Haywood.

Really? I do not feel like that is true at all.

Also if Mavericks add Scola I am going to fall out of my chair laughing. Last year we tried the following to replace Chandler since we knew Haywood was not going to: Lamar Odom, Brandan Wright, Yi Jianlian. This year we are trying Elton Brand, Chris Kaman, Wright again, and MAYBE Scola, and even THAT is not going to be enough either.

I do not know a particularly better solution since we would still be missing a SG (and maybe more), I think Cuban would just lowball Terry to an extent that would hurt his pride no matter what if we had kept Chandler, but this situation is still far from great I think.

Also can I just say, we should extend these amnesty auctions to every sport and make them a permanent fixture. Loving these so much.

Elton Brand will do a pretty good job of approximating Chandler. Different type of player, but it'll have a similar impact on the offensive spacing and defensive efficiency of the team.

I really don't get the Scola thing; Dirk/Kaman/Brand/Wright is plenty deep and diverse enough; we don't need another midrange shooting big man. Going after a 6'5" marksman for the SG would be a much better investment.

I do understand that part of the allure of Scola is that he would be an excellent trade piece next summer at $3M or whatever his winning bid is.

Does anyone know if Ricky Rubio is playing in the Olympics? Spain is looking like they'll have a better front court than USA, with the Gasol brothers and Ibaka.

-Volt

As a Californian, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Warriors this year. In theory, Curry/Thompson/Barnes/Lee/Bogut with Jack buffering the guard position sounds like a pretty exciting combination imo. Although this whole idea goes down the crapper again if Bogut and/or Curry get hurt again, and from recent history that's a pretty likely if... >_> Still don't really think they have the depth to be title contenders this year, but at least we might see them slip into the playoffs again at last? Maybe?

Your guys' thoughts on Golden State?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)