Official Smogon University Gen VI Simulator Statistics — October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
So looking at the pokemon bank OU. I can only say one thing, are these realy UU worthy?
| 52 | Latios | 3.48072% | 22475 | 2.994% | 16333 | 2.776% |
| 53 | Blaziken | 3.34262% | 25692 | 3.423% | 20097 | 3.415% |
Still further research is needed, and another month before we can start thinking of proper tiers but the preliminary data is making me think, we need to completely revamp the tier system.

So looking at the pokemon bank OU. I can only say one thing, are these realy UU worthy?

Still further research is needed, and another month before we can start thinking of proper tiers but the preliminary data is making me think, we need to completely revamp the tier system.
Latios does not seem OU due to the Dragon nerf (it is not nice to be Choiced on Draco when fairies are rampant) and Psychic is a poor defensive/offensive type. Too many Sucker Punches, Shadow Sneaks, Crunches, and Shadow Balls in OU for Latios, especially when the two former has priority and common users of Crunch (M-Lucario) and Shadow Ball (M-Gengar) outspeed Latios. Not to mention its old foes Scizor and Tyranitar are still OU stalwarts. Furthermore, Surf got nerfed as a "coverage move" for Latios.

Again, this does not seem to be a metagame fad, since there are too many new foes that need to be banned in order for Latios to function well in OU.

Latios does not seem OU due to the Dragon nerf (it is not nice to be Choiced on Draco when fairies are rampant) and Psychic is a poor defensive/offensive type. Too many Sucker Punches, Shadow Sneaks, Crunches, and Shadow Balls in OU for Latios, especially when the two former has priority and common users of Crunch (M-Lucario) and Shadow Ball (M-Gengar) outspeed Latios. Not to mention its old foes Scizor and Tyranitar are still OU stalwarts. Furthermore, Surf got nerfed as a "coverage move" for Latios.

Again, this does not seem to be a metagame fad, since there are too many new foes that need to be banned in order for Latios to function well in OU.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Latios won't be OU; it was top 10 last gen, and I'm certainly not convinced that a 110 spe/ 130 Sp. At. mon with decent bulk (for an offensive poke) is falling off the map any time soon. The only new offensive ghost type Latios cares about is Aegislash (Trick cripples it), and Gengar has always been some trouble as they have the same base speed (M-Gengar is barely relevant to mention in the long-term...). Togekiss doesn't take LO/ Specs Psyshock/ Tbolt well, nor does Azumarill. M-Mawile is a threat, but doesn't switch in for free on specs/ LO surf. And Scizor and Tyranitar have always been problems, though again, both are hit pretty hard by Specs/ LO Surf.

Basically, there isn't a whole lot that switches in safely against Latios, and that's why it'll still be good; it can force stuff out with it's good speed + SA, and hit switch ins hard. It requires more prediction than it used to, but then again, it's not like it was super easy to Draco Meteor spam last gen anyway, thanks to Scizor/ Tyranitar making it Pursuit bait. And it was still one of the most dominant threats of the meta.

Even with its multitude of nerfs, Latios will still be a beast to 80/130/110 attacking stats and good bulk stats combined with a recovery (not to mention the possibility of a mega-evo), Frostfire makes my point on this regard.

Nevertheless OU-UU split (assuming we continue it over from gen5) would be pointless due to the mass of viable pokemon because there is no real power difference around the 50 mark. Even if we continue the trend we have otherwise still viable competitors down at the 80/90/100 mark. The OU cut off point will need to be larger to accommodate the mass of viable pokemon, say 75-100 not the gen5 50. But which begs the second question, will this OU be too large? Still we will need next months stats to go from there.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Latios won't be OU; it was top 10 last gen, and I'm certainly not convinced that a 110 spe/ 130 Sp. At. mon with decent bulk (for an offensive poke) is falling off the map any time soon. The only new offensive ghost type Latios cares about is Aegislash (Trick cripples it), and Gengar has always been some trouble as they have the same base speed (M-Gengar is barely relevant to mention in the long-term...). Togekiss doesn't take LO/ Specs Psyshock/ Tbolt well, nor does Azumarill. M-Mawile is a threat, but doesn't switch in for free on specs/ LO surf. And Scizor and Tyranitar have always been problems, though again, both are hit pretty hard by Specs/ LO Surf.
There exist other metagame counters to those Togekiss and Azumarill, such as physically defensive Rotom-W that also doesn't possess the Psychic liability.

Basically, there isn't a whole lot that switches in safely against Latios, and that's why it'll still be good; it can force stuff out with it's good speed + SA, and hit switch ins hard. It requires more prediction than it used to, but then again, it's not like it was super easy to Draco Meteor spam last gen anyway, thanks to Scizor/ Tyranitar making it Pursuit bait. And it was still one of the most dominant threats of the meta.
Specs Latios Draco does at most 79% to Scarftar (no bulk invested/ gen 5 calculator) in Sandstorm, although Scarftar would most likely be revenged killed with Pursuit or Crunched before Latios would land a hit. Banded versions of course would take less and just Pursuit it (88% -- a guaranteed KO after Rock) .

Just thought I'd add to the thing about gems... they're not even in the Battle Maison. All the Pokemon that had non-normal gems had their items replaced. Pretty conclusively not in the games at all if you ask me.

All of the better players seem to be using Rotom-W. It's gotten so popular that mold breaker is becoming a really great ability to hit through levitate with earthquake. I usually see it on Neo Spacian Grand Mole but I've been testing out mega gyarados and it's working really well.

Venusaur is listed as the most successful counter of Rotom-W in the moveset stats, so perhaps it'll see good usage too.

On another note, Politoed/Drizzle usage has dropped, and it seems not many people are using Rain Dance. The only common Pokemon that seem to be using Rain Dance are Goodra and Heliolisk, and even then it's not much.

Neo Spacian Grand Mole
Thats Yu-gi-oh not pokemon, this is smogon not Pojo. People are more grown-up here (lol i'd never think i'd say that)

When it comes weather, i think the majority of the player base has heard of the nerfs and thought it was a dead playstlye, give it time people will start returning.

Venusaur is listed as the most successful counter of Rotom-W in the moveset stats, so perhaps it'll see good usage too.

On another note, Politoed/Drizzle usage has dropped, and it seems not many people are using Rain Dance. The only common Pokemon that seem to be using Rain Dance are Goodra and Heliolisk, and even then it's not much.
Personally, I thought for a bit that Drizzle wouldn't be worth much, but after using Smooth Stone Tyranitar just to help buff Excadrill, I've noticed that the difference between a weather-inducing ability and a weather-inducing move is still huge. I can send out Tyranitar, even just to die instantly, to give Excadrill the eight turns it needs to turn the tide of a battle. Politoed can do the same for Kingdra and a wide variety of other abusers, which will only grow when Pokebank opens and we can use all the old legendaries.

aegislash, greninja, and talonflame being 1, 2, and 3 shouldn't be surprising, these are the 3 brand new cars we got, nothing else has ever been like them. so we gotta play around with them to see what they can do

weather will be good, but it won't be overwhelming like it was last gen where you had to play around it (basically make a weather team or make a team that fucked over the opponents weather team)

latios will be OU when all is said and done, 130/110 special offense is absurd and it has good bulk, come on now

I expect in the coming months people to start using Outrage again if they haven't, Fairy type was a good idea right until they decided to make it specially based both offensively and defensively though there is a notable exception in Togekiss who should rise in the stats. Speedy pokemon and priority are high on the list of usage prolly because people want solid answers to Mega Gengar and Talonflame. The anti-meta pokemon right now are Rotom-W as posted before, Heatran with amazing resists and Bulky ground types that can handle a variety of threats such as Parahax Klefki and Aegislash's King Shield sets. The next months should be ones of discovery since our minimal (initial) ban list has given us access to old threats and some that were never used before, the Deo's, Genesect, Excadrill, Blaziken and a slew of other pokemon.

latios will be OU when all is said and done, 130/110 special offense is absurd and it has good bulk, come on now

I guess it depends on how OU is defined. I really do not see above 4% usage though, although the ban of Mega-Gengar would certainly help but this could be off-set by an increase in Megas with Sucker Punch or Crunch. It would seem that Psychic in OU is just like Ice. Typing is one thing that hampered Kyurem-B even though it had decent stats.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The OU cutoff has always been approximately 3.41%, or one in twenty battles.

Latios can tank a MegaGengar Shadow Ball pretty easily though and do massive damage in return with Psychic STAB.

EDIT: shit thought that was Latias; Latios has the bulk to stand a chance though

Personally, I thought for a bit that Drizzle wouldn't be worth much, but after using Smooth Stone Tyranitar just to help buff Excadrill, I've noticed that the difference between a weather-inducing ability and a weather-inducing move is still huge. I can send out Tyranitar, even just to die instantly, to give Excadrill the eight turns it needs to turn the tide of a battle. Politoed can do the same for Kingdra and a wide variety of other abusers, which will only grow when Pokebank opens and we can use all the old legendaries.
I agree. I've feel weather strategies in general have been under-estimated since the nerf of the auto-inducing abilities. I was wondering if due to the low usage of Politoed, etc. whether people were perhaps using the moves (Rain Dance, etc.) instead, but the moves aren't common either. I think after a few months when things settle down weather will become more common again (not as much as in Gen V though).

Lati@s definitely took a hit this generation. Right now, fairies are probably at an all time high bc they are included in the "shiny new" category. I highly doubt (Know) klefki and azumarill will not stay this high in usage. However, the lati twins do have access to Defog with 110 speed which can help offense teams needing a fast clearance of the field instead of a defense pokemon that could potentially be setup on.

Also, what do you guys think about scizor this gen? A mega evolution, change in steels mechanics, rise in rotom-w/heatran/genesect etc. Some good some bad. Overall, where do you guys believe he will be in a few months? Of course hell be in the top 15 , but will he ever regain his title as the king of OU

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
people will eventually catch on and start using thunderbolt on lati@s to hit azum/toge and realize they're still amazing. out of the dragons, those two, dragonite, and garchomp are the only /really/ good ones imo. of course mence won't ever be "bad" but its just really really "meh" now. goodra is cool w/ assault vest and sludge bomb / thunderbolt too, but in all honesty i think i'd rather use latias over it 90% of the time.

also lol @ people freaking out about blaziken's low useage... most people had no idea it was unbanned when it happened so it didn't get used for that reason. you have no idea how many times people were like "WHAT BLAZIKEN IS UNBANNED??" while i was laddering. same with deo-n for that matter.

and finally, since some people are wondering:

i plan to start UU only once pokebank becomes official and (hopefully) PS XY is out of beta. and that's just an unofficial "uu beta" ladder--uu won't be official until the uu beta ladder reaches acceptable initial metagame. i do have some cool things planned for when we start, though :)

it has probably already been answered, but how will Mega-Evos work with tiers? will it be a situation similar to Soul Dew? or will the Pokemon itself be banned to higher tiers when people only use its mega-evo?

it has probably already been answered, but how will Mega-Evos work with tiers? will it be a situation similar to Soul Dew? or will the Pokemon itself be banned to higher tiers when people only use its mega-evo?
Yeah it's like Soul Dew. If the item's effect is broken on the only Pokemon able to use it in certain tiers where the Pokemon is available, the item gets banned from that tier.

klefki is being used more than kangaskhan what is wrong with you people

I'm a bit surprised to see Scolipede so low, with Speed Boost, Baton Pass and a good typing this gen it should be getting much more usage.

klefki is being used more than kangaskhan what is wrong with you people

I'm a bit surprised to see Scolipede so low, with Speed Boost, Baton Pass and a good typing this gen it should be getting much more usage.
I was surprised by Kangaskhan's usage too, but it makes sense; a Mega will inevitably have lower usage for its effectiveness than a regular Pokemon because of the usage restrictions.

The thing about Scolipede is, Blaziken can say the same thing. If Blaziken gets banned, it'll give Scolipede plenty of room to work, but as long as Blaziken is allowed, Scolipede doesn't have a huge niche.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I know this isn't the place to ask, but I'm unsure as where I should find this information out.. when should we have X/Y Analyses on the main website? I understand lots of them are finished more or less, whilst we now have some basic usage statistics too. Just querying.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Previews may get uploaded once the new SCMS becomes fully functional. Until then though we may have to wait. I may be wrong though.

As for Scolipede, it does have a niche as a fast spiker for the record, and SubPass, so I guess it has some traits that warrant its use.

Megas should be counted as completely different from their normal forms imo, given the drastic changes between some of them (Absol, Mawile, and Kangaskhan immediately come to mind).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)