OU CCAT: Nidoking Edition

DDTar

This specific set is 1) unexpected in the current metagame 2) has a set number of checks and counters that a team can be built to deal with 3) has considerable options at its disposal for coverage.

Breloom (Spore + Sub)

This thing was such a pain to deal with last gen and it still works wonders this gen, but it has been largely forgotten. Its typing is still great and it has many opportunities to get in for free and threaten or set up. It's just about strong enough offensively and defensively to pose most teams problems and Spore is still as troublesome as ever. I'd really love to see a team being built around its unique strengths and the manic switching it is bound to cause!

Fatmence
Wobby

Vaporeon Hydration Wall (well duh, what did you expect from me? I ought to just change my avatar to a Vaporeon and be done with it.)
Abomasnow (Would love to try out Hail)
Lilligant (because this thing is really underrated)

I think we might have to allow people multiple nominations, otherwise we're going to end up with too few making the same nominations seeing as there are just so many choices. 2 or 3 would be a good amount, in my opinion, so that people can put not only their first choice but their second and maybe third as well.

Yeah, there hasn't been a single repeat nomination yet, so it might be a good idea to allow multiple nominations.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Skore, you did not provide a set for your Weavile. If you provide one, I will put it up.

Jimera0 - I think we might have to allow people multiple nominations, otherwise we're going to end up with too few making the same nominations seeing as there are just so many choices. 2 or 3 would be a good amount, in my opinion, so that people can put not only their first choice but their second and maybe third as well.
Okay, so pick your top 3 - Your 1st choice will receive +2 pts, and your 2nd & 3rd will receive +1 point. Sounds good?

For those who nominated already, edit your post with two other nominations.

Skore, you did not provide a set for your Weavile. If you provide one, I will put it up.

Okay, so pick your top 3 - Your 1st choice will receive +2 pts, and your 2nd & 3rd will receive +1 point. Sounds good?

For those who nominated already, edit your post with two other nominations.
I say you go Borda and have the first choice get 3 instead of 2 points, but whatever works.

My nominations:
1. LO Darmanitan
2. Sheer Force Nidoking
3. Sub Kyurem

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I should contributed earlier. Might as well contribute by nomination.

Double Dance Haxorus: I got to know this thing a few months back, and having written its analysis, I can confidently say it's one of the easiest offensive Pokemon to place on a team, whether you have problems with either defensive or offensive teams.

Cloyster (Shell Smash): What else can I say? It's Cloyster, it has Shell Smash, and with Icicle Spear, it OHKOes Ferrothorn with one layer of Spikes. It's also a buffer against Dragonite, should you ever need one.

Salamence (Dragon Dance): I don't like Salamence as much as the other premier OU Pokemon, but I can obviously see its benefit, and like Haxorus, it's relatively easy to fit on teams. Needs a bit of love and Rapid Spin/Screen support.

Regardless of theft, I'll stop complaining and actually contribute. Okay, so:

1. Nasty Plot Azelf
This thing really is good. After a Nasty Plot, it's just about impossible to wall, and it's so much easier to handle Scarfers and priority than it is to handle bona fide counters, IMO. I love this thing and we should use it.

2. SubCM Latias
Mostly because I like Latias, not because I think it's better thank anything else teambuilding-wise.

3. CB Metagross
So easy to build a team around. And effective at what it does (2HKOing max/max Impish Gliscor, for example). CB Metagross is one of those Pokemon that is fun to just swing around and that fun doesn't come at the cost of any viability at all (unlike some other Pokemon). It's great!

Run

Poster of the Month
Putting in a plug for a Uxie set I came up with that has been a great momentum grabber.

YUP... Uxie.
Uxie @ leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
EVs: 248 HP, 192 Def, 68 SpD
-Yawn
-U-Turn
-Protect
-Stealth Rock / Light Screen / Reflect / Psychic*

*-if you use Psychic, change nature to Sassy (+SpD, -Spe)

Uxie has a very unique movepool that allows it to play the role of a defensive momentum grabber. It will survive just about anything once or twice (typically more if you play it right). The idea is you bring Uxie in on something that will do pitiful damage to it (a surprisingly lot of things), Yawn, then U-turn. If they stay in, most things are faster than Uxie meaning it tanks the hit and your next pokemon comes in on a sleeping foe. If they switch, just like any other momentum grabber, you pick your best counter. Uxie is particularly effective against known u-turners and volt switchers... after the yawn, the opponent will 99% of the time use u-turn/volt switch, which Uxie protects against.

The main advantage Uxie has over offensive momentum grabbers is that Uxie is much much safer. Offensive momentum grabbers risk taking heavy hits or outspeeding the opponent leaving the possibility of your switch-in getting hit hard. Uxie does a great job scouting attacks with protect and giving your team the perfect opportunity to take control, mitigating the total damage your team takes, grabbing the most possible momentum.

The lack of reliable recovery is definitely a hindrance which can be somewhat mitigated by protect, but with 353 HP and 344 in both defensive stats, Uxie can really take a pounding, plus add its ablility levitate, giving it the ability to switch in on those ever so common earthquakes, and you are left with a very survivable pokemon that can grab momentum several times over the course of a match.

Beware of Status absorbers and choose your opportunities wisely. Luckily, if your opponent catches on to your Yawn games, you can U-turn right away if you smell an incoming status absorber, still gaining momentum. This build is excellent for mind-games.

Like most momentum grabbers, it pairs well with stat-up sweepers. A wish passer is always welcome to keep Uxie in business longer; but its not typically needed, as Uxie is support and can eventually be sacced to make way for you late game sweepers. That being said, YUP... Uxie is a team player, and a great choice to build a team around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)