Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I'm thinking I'll try making a team around bulk-up Dialga. I'll just cover its weaknesses, Use Latios or something to kill other groudon, garchomp, infernape, and other stuff that it might have problems with. Dialga makes a pretty good anti rain poke too. I'll probally use Kyogre, Ludicolo, Latios, Dialga.. that would rape
That might be a little difficult - you might get 1 or 2, but Dialga will be dead. Spread moves like EQ will be just as popular, and Mewtwo can always Aura Sphere it.

Well, nevermind that, it seems to actually be a Pinap >_>
Oh well, so much for that. Luckily I already have a couple, so yeah.

As for team ideas....that I'm not sure of. Now that I think of it, Me First Mewtwo could have potential...Just use it to steal Water Spout and use it against them.

drcossack

Oh well, so much for that. Luckily I already have a couple, so yeah.

As for team ideas....that I'm not sure of. Now that I think of it, Me First Mewtwo could have potential...Just use it to steal Water Spout and use it against them.
You'd have to use it on a non-Scarf Kyogre though. If someone decides to use a CM Ogre, it's not a bad idea.

but then you're just hitting Kyogre with another Water Spout... which is kind of... yeah...
and to that comment about gimmick players rejoicing, I'm a gimmick player :/ but the introduction of Ubers have completely wrecked my team due to Dialga and Giratina...

drcossack

but then you're just hitting Kyogre with another Water Spout... which is kind of... yeah...
and to that comment about gimmick players rejoicing, I'm a gimmick player :/ but the introduction of Ubers have completely wrecked my team due to Dialga and Giratina...
??? It doesn't work that way...
Right - Me First doesn't have priority, Howie. Mewtwo would have to move faster than Kyogre, which means your opponent will have to be running a CM Ogre set, or the other option (against a Scarfed Ogre) is for you to Scarf Mewtwo yourself.

I never said it had priority, I just stated that even if you pull it off, you're just hitting Kyogre with Water Spout.. which doesn't help, although you might just kill off its partner

drcossack

I never said it had priority, I just stated that even if you pull it off, you're just hitting Kyogre with Water Spout.. which doesn't help, although you might just kill off its partner
Ah. It's not a TERRIBLE idea, but it's highly situational. Mewtwo has better options available, IMO

Me First is a bit iffy, although it does catch those Dragons sometimes, like hitting Palkia back with Spacial Rend before it can even act, and Mewtwo basically outspeeds almost everything that's not Scarfed anyway.

Will people be running scarf kyogre? If they come up against a groudon, they lose weather.

What do you think most people will be running in regards to Groudon and Kyogre, max speed or minimum speed?

For leads, I think that the less skilled players using weather teams (or players who don't really care either way) will run max Speed, and the more experienced players will use minimum Speed, realizing the effects of the game mechanics and such. Some might even use a - nature Groudon/Kyogre and Macho Brace/Iron Ball or another speed reducing item to almost guarantee that they get the weather effects, since it's probably either pretty important for their teams or they just want to potentially disrupt the opponent.

drcossack

Will people be running scarf kyogre? If they come up against a groudon, they lose weather.

What do you think most people will be running in regards to Groudon and Kyogre, max speed or minimum speed?
I've been running Max Speed Modest Kyogre with Scarf. I haven't been using him as a lead though. The team I've been beta-testing:

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/236 Atk/12 Def/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
---
Rayquaza @ Yache Berry
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extremespeed
- Protect
---
Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Thunder
- Water Spout
---
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder
- Protect

Ray's there to nullify the auto-weather inducers if they lead, Protecting while Metagross blows up. If something survives it (ie a Sash Pokemon), Ray Extremespeeds on his next turn. Kyogre comes in after Metagross dies and Water Spouts until everything else dies.

drcossack

in a way, don't you need Rayquaza to die so that Kyogre gets its full power? lol
Yeah. I'm tempted to just let it die when Gross blows up - since CBExplo at level 50 kills Heatran (who's resistant), it can pretty much KO anything that doesn't resist.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm thinking I'll try making a team around bulk-up Dialga. I'll just cover its weaknesses, Use Latios or something to kill other groudon, garchomp, infernape, and other stuff that it might have problems with. Dialga makes a pretty good anti rain poke too. I'll probally use Kyogre, Ludicolo, Latios, Dialga.. that would rape
Try Magnet Rise Dialga.

Use Murphy's Law when designing your teams. That's all I'll say really, as I have my own guys doing VGC 2010 too. :P

That's what happened last year for me. While that critical hit was the only thing that ruined me, I also should've had a team that could cope with that kind of thing.

Haha Magnet Rise Diagla would be awesome.

Well, for those of you who thought that the new Wii game might be PBR2, you are probably wrong; serebii posted today that the new Pokemon Wii game is called "PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure". Judging by the name (lol, PIKACHU'S GREAT ADVENTURE), I don't think it will have online battling, colosseums, etc, like PBR has. Maybe they will be nice and update the current PBR with new designs for Giratina-O, shaymin-S, etc.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Use Murphy's Law when designing your teams. That's all I'll say really, as I have my own guys doing VGC 2010 too. :P

That's what happened last year for me. While that critical hit was the only thing that ruined me, I also should've had a team that could cope with that kind of thing.
Yeah, just from experience at Worlds I would say that you should definitely plan on facing triple paralysis, perfectly timed critical hits, or your 95% accurate Ice Fang missing 3 times in a row. XD

By the way, how does Japan handle their tournaments, as far as setting up the ladder? Do they do the horrible random draw thing as well?

They have a tourney in each of the 47 prefectures, winning these grants qualification for regionals which are usually January/February. From there on they have Nationals. I don't know about the prefectural tournaments but I don't think there's such a rush as in the U.S.

considering there's that many tourneys run, they can have more people at once :/ unlike America, where they had like two places the first year and four the second year >_>, I don't understand how they expected that random selection to work, the first year, there were more substitutes than players that were selected

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
considering there's that many tourneys run, they can have more people at once :/ unlike America, where they had like two places the first year and four the second year >_>, I don't understand how they expected that random selection to work, the first year, there were more substitutes than players that were selected
hee hee! XD I very much liked the "random selection" this past year, myself! XD

drcossack

hee hee! XD I very much liked the "random selection" this past year, myself! XD
Heh, it wouldn't have been so bad if 50 million people showed up, I'm sure (for a lot of people anyway.) :)

That said, I do wonder if the selection process is going to be different this year, and if it is, how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)