Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, there are some good Japanese battlers that are on late at night, usually around 10pm pacific and later. That's usually the time I start playing when I go on PBR.

I can't speak for PBB, but as for me I get 1 or 2 per evening (that I happen to be on). Lots of noobs though, but that's to be expected.
So in a 2 hour long period you are getting around 1-2 battles of worthwhile experience? I guess that's decent but do you ever up playing the same people and the same competitive teams over and over again?

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm here to say that I am 289-0 on random PBR battles so I would say they're not very indicative of competitive battles.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
So in a 2 hour long period you are getting around 1-2 battles of worthwhile experience? I guess that's decent but do you ever up playing the same people and the same competitive teams over and over again?
Yeah, strangely enough, I've found that if I quickly seek another battle, I usually end up pairing with the same person?! Plus sometimes, if the match was close, they want to battle again anyway, win or lose.

I'm here to say that I am 289-0 on random PBR battles so I would say they're not very indicative of competitive battles.
You know, I really think that random PBR battles do mimic what you'll see when you show up to these VGC events. 90% noobs, 10% real competition.

yeah, but who cares about n00bs? you can defeat them w/o effort, the only thing you need is to practice against good people XD

It really depends on what time you play. I play at around the time PBB said and I run into good Japanese players once every 2-3 battles. If you play when the Americans are up, you're wasting your time. And you might just go 289-0...

Sometimes the same person shows up twice in a row, but not often. Most of the Japanese players tend to run a variation of the same team for VGC 09: Meta, Cress, Swampert, Latios etc. But the VGC 2010 teams are quite varied.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
It really depends on what time you play. I play at around the time PBB said and I run into good Japanese players once every 2-3 battles. If you play when the Americans are up, you're wasting your time. And you might just go 289-0...

Sometimes the same person shows up twice in a row, but not often. Most of the Japanese players tend to run a variation of the same team for VGC 09: Meta, Cress, Swampert, Latios etc. But the VGC 2010 teams are quite varied.
Well, I play around the same time that you and PBB do, so I believe I see alot of Japanese players with fairly decent teams.

As for input, the 2010 teams are pretty varied as everyone else has said. Lots of different looks from different people.

Actually, that starts the time when the rules could appear. :P In the Facebook group, it posted that the 'facebook event' was from Jan. 1 through April 1. This can't be the actual events because the games aren't even out yet, so it must be the timeframe for the rules being announced for the USA and Europe. I really don't think they will change from the Japanese rules, but nobody has anyway of knowing whether they will or not they will so we'll just have to wait it out.

It's hard, I know, I want to know them officially too. :P

I think that changing the rules would just make things unnecessarily messy when Worlds rolls around, and now suddenly people from one country or another will have to make a totally new team because they can/can't use Ubers. So even if they make it so VGC2010 is similar to VGC2009, I'll probably make my Ubers team anyway.

Great find!

Some cool videos on there (with a quick watch I spotted some of the smogoners), and a somewhat interesting find.

The Eevee's being presented as a metal Eevee, which is pretty cool. It knows iron tail, which I think can be TM'd to it anyway, but still.

(And no that's not a different shiny animation; it's the iron tail animation. I should've read the battle text, lol.)

In case anyone is interested, JPN put up the worlds 09 website. Lots of video!
It sucks you can't click on the pics that make up the globe but other than that it's awesome.
http://world09.pokemon.co.jp/
Ah, nice find! Kazuyuki Tsuji is jokes xD He was so into each match; it was very entertaining to watch him. A lot of others looked real nervous, though. That's to be expected, of course.

I have seen shiftry being used with explosion as a counter to kyogre..it seems to be doing well... I have also seen a lot of cresslias

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
These should be interesting rules, especially with HG/SS movesets. Also I want that metal Eevee xD

But in all seriousness, the VGC features too many people who just threw together a team and like 1 or 2 people who actually know how to play the game. If you want to win then there's a few things: Hold Items, and EV's. I'm not sure if they'll work due to the Level 50 environment (EV's) but I do know that probably a quarter of the people there won't have a decent hold item besides the occasional berry. That's why I already made my team and tested it in VGC type battles. It should be fun, especially if you get noobs all down the line.

I have seen shiftry being used with explosion as a counter to kyogre..it seems to be doing well... I have also seen a lot of cresslias
I was considering Cresselia for Latias's place on my team, but I'm already trying to SR for a good Palkia, and I already have a good Latias to use.

If you want to win then there's a few things: Hold Items, and EV's.
No kidding, bro. :naughty:
If you want to stand a chance of getting past the first round you need that. And chances are even if you have EVed, you'll probably lose first round if you didn't think through the EVs properly, come up with proper movesets and a driving force in your team. As I said a few months back, the person who wins this will be someone who uses every trick in the book to make a team that's unusual but effective.

But in all seriousness, the VGC features too many people who just threw together a team and like 1 or 2 people who actually know how to play the game.
This is true, especially because of the lame choice of how players are picked. I seriously hope thats fixed for next year.

I belive the world championships will be held in Hawaii this year, but I am unsure of which city or even which island they will be located at.
Hawaii? =o that's cool news if this ends up true, I really hope I can win this year. Correct me if I am wrong but a Japanese person has always won these tournaments so far? I want to be the first American to win it. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)