Project PU Player of the Week 14: amber lamps

cryalot

senza telescopi
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Anty
OP stolen from Leer in RU, who took it from Lord Alphose and xzern in NU
Past Players of the Week: Magnemite, galbia, gasquakee, scorpdestroyer, Simipour, Anty, Raiza, 2xTheTap, TONE114, Megazard, Dundies, RawMelon, Kay

Welcome back to PU Player of the Week! For this week, i'm bringing you an interview with the ledian master amber lamps! Leave some feedback and feel free to submit some other questions for amber! Enjoy.

Most Known For: being that guy who says "hai pee u" each time he logs in the room
Favorite Pokemon: Ledian, Cinccino
Most Used Pokemon: Grumpig
Can you tell us a bit about yourself outside of PS?
Outside of PS I have a passion for animals and expecially chinchillas, and take good care about them other than supporting their rights. I also like to exercise, play football or chilling while playing the guitar.

Where did you get your name from?
My name basically comes from the famous epic beard man meme, where after that bus fight between a white bearded dude and a black guy, the latter one says "call the amber lamps" while bleeding as he meant the ambulance. However amber lamps could also be considered the name that is used to refer to that mysterious girl who was watching the whole scene without even showing a sign of reaction, so yeah I got quite interested into this story.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?

I got into competitive in April 2010 during Shoddy Battle, was browsing some random guide from gamefaqs written by someone named blueshirt32 and thats how I heard about competitive for the first time, then eventually came across shoddy thanks to my brother and decided to give it a shot, and after a few months I migrated to Pokemon Online, with the beginning of XY era I eventually went to PS too.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?

I like bulky offense mostly, while also enjoying HO and even balance, but I'm mostly an offensive oriented player, which fits pretty well in a meta like PU, where threats like Machoke with good bulk and offensive potential shine in the tier, so I find it pretty effective to use it here.

In your opinion, are there any underrated or overrated threats in the current meta?

So far I'm really enjoying Clefairy, as it was shown in pupl its becoming really effective in these days meta, as it serves as a great win condition thanks to also being capable of absorbing status and being immune to hazards thanks to Magic Guard, making it harder to stop as calm minder. I also think that Floatzel despite being that good pokemon we all know I feel like it kinda deserves a bit more usage, as it seems that due to the urge for most teams of having Swanna they aren't usually compatible, as the latter is more splashable.

What are your thoughts on Machoke in this meta? Is it worth keeping it in the tier if a Dynamic Punch ban is not possible?
I think it is all a matter of valuating pros and cons, because if a ban of the single move isn't possible then we have to either accept the loss of Machoke for the sake of getting rid of an uncompetitive and unhealthy dpunch + no guard combo, or just having to keep on dealing with this situation while also maintaining in the tier a pokemon that would help checking lots of threats that would otherwise be more dangerous without its presence. Now I understand that the situation as most players said would get more chaotic in a Machokeless meta, and I honestly can't really disagree with them, but tbh I'd be curious to see how would exactly evolve or change the meta without the mon, as that would definitely clear any doubt about it, even though that would basically mean suspecting it which is something that almost nobody wants to happen, because we all know how Machoke centralizes this metagame in a positive way.

Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?

I think players like Kaboom, Yosp, Blue YM and Sobi deserve a mention, but I'm pretty sure there's some others I'm missing atm D:

What would you suggest to someone new to the tier?

Practicing in the ladder with a sample team as first impact to the tier would be a good first step just in order to get an initial understanding about the meta. Then I'd take a look at the teambuilding resources and viability rankings in order to try to build up a squad by my own, without being afraid to ask in the chat about possible fixes and improvements, while also contacting decent players for testing battles and often joining roomtours in order to hone your skills and gradually improving knowledge.

If you could make one change to the tier (can be anything), what would it be?

ban Dynamic Punch XDDD oh well there's no way that would be possible sigh

What kind of music do you listen to?

I guess anything that goes between alternative rock/metal, I'm particularly into 90s rock, such as industrial, grunge or shoegaze bands as well as more recent stuff.

Can you provide a team that reflects you as a player, as well as the current metagame?

Crustle @ White Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost
- U-turn

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Defog
- U-turn

So this is a team I made featuring Crustle, which is overall a cool mon which can work quite well with the proper support from cuno and pig dealing with common counters such as machoke and gourgeist, while monferno breaks through steel making up a pretty decent sinergy. Lumineon is my hazard remover which also checks waters and Stunfisk helps vs electrics, checks fires, Mawile and sets up rocks. I think it is a good representation of myself as player as it shows off an example of bulky offense which is one of my fav playstyles, other than also being popular in the actual meta. Hope you liked it D:

do you think you'd be where you are as a PU player if raiza hadn't tutored you?

favorite console game?

do you think you'd be where you are as a PU player if raiza hadn't tutored you?
Well, Raiza gave me such a big help into understanding how to build solid teams, learning the common cores / spreads, team archetypes etc. while prior to his tutoring I just used to stick with sample teams and building stupid af sticky web teams lol. So yeah my knowledge improved really alot thanks to him, expecially in teambuilding, or else I wouldn't get that far in the winter seasonal as first good result in this tier, shame he quit playing PU though :c

favorite console game?
hmm since I'm mostly a retro dude when it comes to console games I'd just say Spyro 3: year of the dragon, but I'm also a fan of the Final Fantasy series and my fav would be either the VI or VIII, pretty hard to say if I have to pick one lol

Last edited:
CAIO AMBER
Favorite battle you've watched or taken part of?
If you could rate Dundies, how good would you say he is in comparison to other players in the tier?
If you could have one mon drop from NU, what would it be and why?
Do you prefer pizza or pasta?

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
CAIO ARNOLD
Did you ever try Ledian in PU? Any good results with it?

CAIO AMBER
Favorite battle you've watched or taken part of?
If you could rate Dundies, how good would you say he is in comparison to other players in the tier?
If you could have one mon drop from NU, what would it be and why?
Do you prefer pizza or pasta?
-hmm pretty hard to say, but speaking about PU I remember our series in the winter seasonal and I really enjoyed it despite losing, expecially the second game, which was really close c:
-he's very good, top 5 maybe? haha anyway I hate his stall teams so meanie :C
-MUK. Why? he's awesome, very versatile, has strong bulk and offensive potential and would be an interesting addition to the meta (as well as a broken one maybe D:) and I'd be curious to see it.
-pizza for sure!
CAIO ARNOLD
Did you ever try Ledian in PU? Any good results with it?
hmm I remember trying Ledian in a custom game vs RawMelon where the rule was standard oras pu with the addition of Ledian being able to learn the huge power trait lol but too bad I forgot to change the ability and got stuck with early bird -.-
replay for reference, if curious http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/customgame-336837477
Aside from that I also tried something like agili + swordpass but was extremely situational to make it work lol

why in that GIF is Venomoth not caring about Ledians attacks? is Ledian just that trash even in your hands :]

Do you cope well with hax or rage off and click x while insulting your opponent?
I'm usually chill and i dont have reasons to insult my opponents for hax as it is something you can never control, I mean its pokemon after all, although its very rare to see me getting salty but I may only get mad at my bad luck if it happens, just like in the week 4 of PUPL :$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)