Serious Relationships and Sex Ed Thread

Anyone have any techniques for dealing with awkward silences in conversations? Sometimes it feels good to soak up the moment but 99% of the time im sitting there thinking "wth am i going to say" =.=

no such thing as an awkward silence, if it feels awkward it means both of you have acknowledged there's nothing more to talk about so just end the conversation and move on

source: i talk to people

xenu

Banned deucer.
i entered my first relationship ever quite recently; the girl in question had been giving me signals (or what i thought were signals) for a while, so i plucked up the nerve to ask her out and she agreed. a few weeks in, it feels really one-sided - we've only really ever hung out once as a couple (to watch the hobbit) and it seems she'd much rather spend time with her ex (a guy who's like twice my size and the galaxy's biggest schmoozer - he's suddenly "best friends" with her again and smothers her with ":*"s and "<3"s every day (and it seems to work, much to my dismay)) and her myriads of other "guy friends" with whom she likes to get royally drunk (i should mention we're both in high school, i don't drink and i only found out about her habit after we started dating) and crash at their place(s) afterwards. it... makes me really iffy. i've tried to bring it up with her, but i don't wanna seem paranoid, nor do i wanna look like some overbearing, possessive asshole.

what do?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
why are you with this girl exactly? it sounds as though your interests are fundamentally different, you seldom hang out and she seems way too close to her ex. and, i apologise for the insensitive question, but does she view what you have as a relationship because it doesn't sound that way.

talk to her about how you feel and see if you can make it work and if the whole thing goes tits-up then that's probably not going to be the worst thing in the world as the relationship sounds like a bust tbh. sounds like you've just threw yourself in there and allowed yourself to overlook her flaws because it's your first relationship...i have a friend who did that; 7 years and 3 children later and he has just came out of the messiest break up ever and has nothing but regrets at the age of 24.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i entered my first relationship ever quite recently; the girl in question had been giving me signals (or what i thought were signals) for a while, so i plucked up the nerve to ask her out and she agreed. a few weeks in, it feels really one-sided - we've only really ever hung out once as a couple (to watch the hobbit) and it seems she'd much rather spend time with her ex (a guy who's like twice my size and the galaxy's biggest schmoozer - he's suddenly "best friends" with her again and smothers her with ":*"s and "<3"s every day (and it seems to work, much to my dismay)) and her myriads of other "guy friends" with whom she likes to get royally drunk (i should mention we're both in high school, i don't drink and i only found out about her habit after we started dating) and crash at their place(s) afterwards. it... makes me really iffy. i've tried to bring it up with her, but i don't wanna seem paranoid, nor do i wanna look like some overbearing, possessive asshole.

what do?
break up w/ her

also take lee's advice but if this doesn't happen i will be SHOCKED

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
i don't agree with thorns that awkward silences don't exist but anyway...

Anyone have any techniques for dealing with awkward silences in conversations? Sometimes it feels good to soak up the moment but 99% of the time im sitting there thinking "wth am i going to say" =.=
that's your problem. just say what's on your mind instead of worrying all the time.

even if you embarrass yourself by saying something dumb and people laugh at you, chances are they'll forget about it an hour later, or if not it just becomes a funny memory.

what do?
sounds like you're in a relationship for the sake of being in one. You guys obviously live in a different world with different morals and interests. I wouldn't even bother and just break up with her.

edit: i didn't even read lee's comment when I typed up this response but we pretty mch said the same thing so I'd encourage u to take our advice lol.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
the best way to deal with an awkward silence, esp. with someone you know, is to just acknowledge it. "well, this is an awkward silence" totally works and keeps the conversation going

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

what do?
This isn't a relationship. End it before either of you get too attached and it blows up. In the future, before you commit to anything exclusive, make sure they aren't close with their ex. 99 times out of 100 this just causes issues later with either cheating or tension, and it's not worth your time. Anyone out in the real world knows it's almost impossible to remain close friends with someone you had a long and intimate relationship with, so a situation like that should be an automatic red flag for you.

Really, seeing as how you're in high school, I would just advise you to not attempt to find or start a deep relationship in general. High school age boys and girls generally lack the emotional maturity to handle a commitment that serious and all the challenges it entails, so it will almost always not work out in the long run. Just focus on your grades and social circles while you're in HS, you'll be much better off.

cim

This isn't a relationship. End it before either of you get too attached and it blows up. In the future, before you commit to anything exclusive, make sure they aren't close with their ex. 99 times out of 100 this just causes issues later with either cheating or tension, and it's not worth your time. Anyone out in the real world knows it's almost impossible to remain close friends with someone you had a long and intimate relationship with, so a situation like that should be an automatic red flag for you.
okay, if they just broke up or broke up within the last year this is possible, but after a long cool off period it is more than possible for you to have a friendship with an ex yet feel nothing for each other mutually. you don't need to be THAT possessive

but he's in high school so you're most certainly right

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Really, seeing as how you're in high school, I would just advise you to not attempt to find or start a deep relationship in general. High school age boys and girls generally lack the emotional maturity to handle a commitment that serious and all the challenges it entails, so it will almost always not work out in the long run. Just focus on your grades and social circles while you're in HS, you'll be much better off.
I agreed with your advice about the relationship but I disagree with this statement. Yes, people in high school may not have the maturity to have or find a really deep relationship and I've certainly never heard of any instances where people in high school have stayed together after it. But I don't see how there is anything wrong with high school relationships especially as they actually teach important lessons about relationships in general.

I agreed with your advice about the relationship but I disagree with this statement. Yes, people in high school may not have the maturity to have or find a really deep relationship and I've certainly never heard of any instances where people in high school have stayed together after it. But I don't see how there is anything wrong with high school relationships especially as they actually teach important lessons about relationships in general.
He said deep relationships, those are different. I know two couples that have been together from grade 10 through to now (sophomore in university).

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

what do?
wonderwall

also girls with a whole slew of guy friends (especially when she gets drunk with them) are bad news, steer clear

wonderwall

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
to clarify, I meant it was almost impossible to REMAIN friends after a breakup. Sure, after a long waiting period afterward it's possible to go back to being friends, but only if you avoided contact with them and moved on. Also, even if you go back to being friends with an ex some time later, you won't ever be their "best friend" or whatever, you'll just be casual friends who talk occasionally. Also, I never said that relationships in high school weren't good learning tools, I just said they almost never work out, especially deeper ones. It's fine to casually date and what not, and even dabble in exclusivity a bit to start teaching yourself how to handle it, but you're never going to sustain a relationship on that level at that age and have it work out in the long run.

Just wanted to clear that up in case there was confusion as to what I meant.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
to clarify, I meant it was almost impossible to REMAIN friends after a breakup. Sure, after a long waiting period afterward it's possible to go back to being friends, but only if you avoided contact with them and moved on. Also, even if you go back to being friends with an ex some time later, you won't ever be their "best friend" or whatever, you'll just be casual friends who talk occasionally. Also, I never said that relationships in high school weren't good learning tools, I just said they almost never work out, especially deeper ones. It's fine to casually date and what not, and even dabble in exclusivity a bit to start teaching yourself how to handle it, but you're never going to sustain a relationship on that level at that age and have it work out in the long run.

Just wanted to clear that up in case there was confusion as to what I meant.
waterbomb spillin da true tea

its rare for people who were once really close and fell apart, to ever become close again. that's the reality of things simply because there was too much emotion involved, and once you move on you never want to put yourself in that position to be hurt by that same person ever again

Just want to say while I agree with Waterbomb primarily, I think he's being too sweeping with his claims. I don't necessarily think that a relationship cannot be maintained if it starts in high school, as the maturity of the individuals involved...no surprise, rests on the individuals involved. It depends on the people in the relationship; to no one's surprise, most high school students do not have the maturity level necessary to keep and maintain a valuable relationship through and after high school. That doesn't mean EVERYONE can't.

I try to remain friends with my exes because sometimes it leads to me having sex with them. other than that I don't see the point

what do?
get out of that as fast as you possibly can

cim

HAHA GUYS THE THREAD SAID SEX HAHAHA ISNT THAT SO FUNNY AND NOVEL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

come on guys let's at least take this thread a little seriously that's what the serious label means

and to avoid being a hypocrite - what's the etiquette for getting christmas presents for hookups? is that too "relationship-y" or is it cool if it's something small / thoughtful

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
HAHA GUYS THE THREAD SAID SEX HAHAHA ISNT THAT SO FUNNY AND NOVEL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

come on guys let's at least take this thread a little seriously that's what the serious label means

and to avoid being a hypocrite - what's the etiquette for getting christmas presents for hookups? is that too "relationship-y" or is it cool if it's something small / thoughtful
i got fancy cigarettes for two of them and a record for my current fwb, idk if this helps.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Speaking of sex, so earlier on today I downloaded the ding ding dong song (oooh you touch my tra-la-la). I dont even remember why I downloaded it, but ever since I have been listening to it non-stop, all through my afternoon and even through my 2 hour workout session at the gym (which was awesome thanks to this song), and now I am on my way to meet up with some of my friends for tonights, well, Saturday night out. Anyways, I am still blasting this song, in fact it is playing whiles I type this out.

Long story short, listening to this song all day has really got me, whats the word for "ready to fuck"?, oh right, horny. We were originally going to end the night off by going to a club, but there is a 20 year old girl tagging along so I dont even know what kind of night is going to be had now.

GOD THIS SONG IS SO SILLY AND STUPID BUT ITS SOO CATCHY (and good?)

Edit: also I am changing my avatar when I get home. totally going to

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

When I was in college, my fwb bough tbe a $150 watch and a $50 wallet... my reaction... :? *ok what do I do now??*

idk what fwb means... but let's talk about relationship... i have a girlfriend... but my ex is trying to seduce me... and it's working D:

blitzlefan

shake it off!
friends with benefits, i'm assuming? and ChronusGreed don't do it! Don't fall for that trap, you'll end up losing them both!

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
guys GUYS I DID IT

i asked him and he said yes. and we both were smiling like dumbos and what else. im waitin for him to get home to play some Portal 2. it was really as hard as i though

then he dropped me home i kissed him said "i love you bye" and zipped out of the car as fast as possible. i had never actually told him i loved him before askin him that...

dunno why we both got boners though, thats not a really sexual thing is it? being honest here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)