Salamence

New MixMence can attempt to sweep late-game with Outrage - a situation in which Overconfidence can prove extremely useful? Intimidate is definitely a useful ability but Overconfidence works on pretty much every offensive set I feel.
if you keep your mixmence unti late game to sweep youre using the wrong set, and if not youre wont live long enoguh to sweep. and i said everything about overconfidence working on every offensive set in my large post.

but it doesn't power the sp.atk stat so i think a pure phsycal sweeper would be better.
That makes sense unless you remember that your opponent is a human with an actual brain. If Salamence starts getting kills and his attack raises each whats a typical human going to do? Switch to a physical wall/tank and try to out last Sally/kill him. If you pack a special move you can get by that instead of being halted.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Overconfidence
Nature: Naive
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
*Draco Meteor
*Flamethrower
*Dragon Claw
*Earthquake

'nuff said. I used this set without overconfidence and its amazing with spikes. Overconfidence makes it even more sexy. Dragon Claw picks off weakened things, and you et the boost. LOVING this right here. Look at the base power of moves...

Other than that set, Inimidate is way better than Overconfidence. Intimidate is what made Salamence such a terror to face off with to begin with!

Am I missing something or is overconfidence illegal with Dragon dance, because Dragon Dance is an egg move? If that's the case, then I would pick intimidate, personally.

Overconfidence is illegal with Outrage.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Overconfidence
Nature: Naive
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
*Draco Meteor
*Flamethrower
*Dragon Claw
*Earthquake
This set is ideal. After the Arrogance boost, Salamence will be able to wield Dragon Claw as an unboosted Outrage with no drawbacks, while Earthquake gets a boost.

I think dream world abiliteis will most likely be breedable. With or without tho Salamence is as beastly as ever and will be taking down lots of pokemon with his same sets =D

I think dream world abiliteis will most likely be breedable. With or without tho Salamence is as beastly as ever and will be taking down lots of pokemon with his same sets =D
Dream World abilities can be passed through breeding.

This has been confirmed. There is no longer any need for speculation.

Overconfidence is illegal with Outrage.

This set is ideal. After the Arrogance boost, Salamence will be able to wield Dragon Claw as an unboosted Outrage with no drawbacks, while Earthquake gets a boost.

I do wonder why Outrage isn't an egg move.. It doesn't really make sense.

Man, I just realized Outrage isn't an eggmove for Salamence in the current generation, it's actually one for Garchomp.

I probably got confused because they're both blue.
So yeah, it actually does make sense because it never was an egg move for Salamence..

I guess it will come back as a tutor move in what people call "grey".. If not, tough luck Salamence.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Umm, to my understanding moves are passed down by a male and dream world abilities through a female....so why wouldn't a 4th gen Male Salamence be able to breed with a 5th gen Female one with Overconfidence and pass down their respective desirable characteristics, unless I'm missing something?

EDIT: Shit its a tutor move....they can't be passed down by breeding hey?

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this (as I'm too lazy to read the rest of the comments on all the pages), but it'd be a great late-game sweeper with Overconfidence. Have a few scouting Pokemon on your team, give it some time, weaken your opponents Pokemon to a good health range, then when the time is right send in the beast on something it can kill to gain a boost or DD on it and go on from there.

Salamence would also be fun to pass your status boosts to in a Baton Pass chain. Put up a Light Screen just in case if need be, give him a Speed boost or more if you can manage it, Attack boosts and just enough to be able to knock out one of the opposing Pokemon to gain the extra Attack boost to take out the rest of the opponents team or rip a hole right in it to allow the rest of your teammates to clean up the rest.

~ Aether Nexus

Umm, to my understanding moves are passed down by a male and dream world abilities through a female....so why wouldn't a 4th gen Male Salamence be able to breed with a 5th gen Female one with Overconfidence and pass down their respective desirable characteristics, unless I'm missing something?

EDIT: Shit its a tutor move....they can't be passed down by breeding hey?
Only if they are eggmoves.

For example, Fire Punch is a tutored move for Infernape, but it can also be passed it down by breeding to a Chimchar.

Outrage is a tutored move for Salamence, but not an eggmove, and therefore cannot be passed down to a Bagon.

So it's all about whether these moves are part of their list of "eggmoves". Regardless of whether they can learn it through other means.

DDmence with overconfidence ability is insane, run jolly nature with EQ + outrage/Dclaw + stone edge/fireblast/flamethrower (if running fire moves use hasty/naive) just bring him in on a predictable EQ and dd on switch and prepare to sweep. I literally 6-0 an entire team with a overconfidence DDmence on PO. lol.

-edit-

he's still easy to be stopped really, a scarf anything with total speed higher then 500+ will attack first, or priority moves. But I'm just saying that a team that isn't prepared for salamence this generation is going to get wrecked bad.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Just popped in to say that in the OP, you listed Salamence as having 2 SpD stats.
We all know that it has 100 Speed, but it might be easier to read at a glance if you changed it to Spe.

Overconfidence is a great Ability for Mence and I think, as previous people have mentioned, would be really great on an end-game MixMence.
That being said, Intimidate is still a great ability and can net Salamence a chance to DD on a switch, I'd go Intimidate over Overconfidence on any Stat-Boosting set.

I'll be interested to see whether people go Intimidate+Outrage or Overconfidence+Dragon Claw. I think the former has shown its value, granting valuable switch-ins to the likes of Lucario and Infernape. On the other hand, after one Overconfidnce boost, Dragon Claw will have the same power as Outrage with no negative side effects :O

BurningMan

fueled by beer
But I'm just saying that a team that isn't prepared for salamence this generation is going to get wrecked bad.
that counts for many sweepers and was exactly the same in gen IV :P

on Topic:
I haven`t seen that much salas so far and the most trouble some were Mix Mences with Intimidate.

Overconfidence sounds good on paper, but where would you need the boost?
If your opponent got something that he can`t ohko without the boost he would send it in before he gets the boost and he is now more easy to revenge with so many things with over 100 base speed.
the ability isn`t useful on DD sets as they need intimidate to get their set up opportunity and mix mence wields only one physical attack wich now has to be the weaker Dragon Claw since he can`t get outrage with his DW ability sure it gets boosted to the same power as outrage after one OC boost but a skilled player wont allow him to get this since mence needed outrage to get past some of his checks like suicune who was only KOed after Draco Meteor and Outrage.

Edit: forgot that mixmence usually got EQ , but in Gen4 he only needed it to get past heatran or finish off weakend pokes without locking itself into outrage and since he needs to run Dragon Claw now he wont need it as much.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
that counts for many sweepers and was exactly the same in gen IV :P

on Topic:
I haven`t seen that much salas so far and the most trouble some were Mix Mences with Intimidate.

Overconfidence sounds good on paper, but where would you need the boost?
If your opponent got something that he can`t ohko without the boost he would send it in before he gets the boost and he is now more easy to revenge with so many things with over 100 base speed.
the ability isn`t useful on DD sets as they need intimidate to get their set up opportunity and mix mence wields only one physical attack wich now has to be the weaker Dragon Claw since he can`t get outrage with his DW ability sure it gets boosted to the same power as outrage after one OC boost but a skilled player wont allow him to get this since mence needed outrage to get past some of his checks like suicune who was only KOed after Draco Meteor and Outrage.
Late game is definitely the place to pull out your OC MixMence if you want it to be effective, when all of his counters/revengers are gone or severely weakened. Snagging a kill on a weakened Pokemon late game will not be hard at all, then you get the OC boost and now have an outrage with no drawbacks. That, combined with the effectiveness of a mixed set and Salamence's beastly coverage, I feel will be a great threat to any team.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Late game is definitely the place to pull out your OC MixMence if you want it to be effective, when all of his counters/revengers are gone or severely weakened. Snagging a kill on a weakened Pokemon late game will not be hard at all, then you get the OC boost and now have an outrage with no drawbacks. That, combined with the effectiveness of a mixed set and Salamence's beastly coverage, I feel will be a great threat to any team.
why not use DD mence for late game?
MixMence should be used to open Holes in a team for your main sweeper not sweep by itself because without the speed boost he is too easy outsped by common revengers like Scarf Chomp(and even chomp without scarf).
Not too mention that mixmence dont packs enough power to muscle through things like Hippo if he already used Draco Meteor. DD Mence is far superior for sweeping and as i mentioned DDmences really appreciate Intimidate for set up and usually doesnt needs the extra power boost from OC they would just be overkill.

But if the enemy is already that weak, does it even matter? You'd need to be in some kind of middle ground where the enemy is weak enough that you can get a kill to power on over confidence yet strong enough that over confidence actually matters and you couldn't just kill them without it. Frankly that seems a bit too specific a situation for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)