Sand discussion thread

Is Eviolite the best item for Hippopotas? There could be some good Focus Sash and Leftovers sets?
Well, Hippopotas with Eviolite means that it will be taking more than 2 hits, meaning Eviolite is already better than Focus Sash. Leftovers seems really inferior to Eviolite, especially when Hippopotas gets Slack Off anyway.

Wait

No mention of Gastrodon yet?

He can absorb any Water attacks coming at, say, Rhyperior for the sake of a subject, get a storm drain boost, and then just spam surf and earth power, using recover when necessary.

Trust me hes pretty good in this meta

i'm really looking forward to sand rush sandslash, as that will be deadly. sd / eq / rock slide / x-scissor has really good coverage and it quite anti-sun to boot. of course i could be waiting for a long time...

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
However, I'm a bit concerned that people are going to use Eviolite on every single NFE, when it might not always be the best option. In OU, a lot of NFEs use Eviolite 100% of the time because that is the only way they're not outclassed by their evolutions. However, in UU, some of them aren't outclassed anymore, so don't have to use Eviolite to have a reason to be used.

Not saying Eviolite is a bad item though, of course!! It's definitely worth using.
The reason most NFEs use Eviolite is because a) they'd have pitiful defenses otherwise and b) it's just that good an item. A free 1.5x boost to defenses? Who wouldn't want that? Rhydon, Duosion, Hippopotas, Vulpix, you name it; all of them do their jobs better with Eviolite than any other item.

A free 1.5x boost to defenses WITHOUT getting locked into one move.

Just so you know, Fire Blast from Modest/0 Vulpix under the sun manages to do 91% max.
That's pretty good. Would Quick Attack be enough to make it up to the KO? Because then if you Fire Blast when it switches in, you might be able to kill it before it can damage you.

Or maybe Vulpix could still beat Dugtrio with Eviolite. Like if you Will-O-Wisp and burn it on the switch-in, perhaps Vulpix can survive Earthquake, and then Fire Blast + 20% from two rounds of burn can KO it? And factor in Life Orb damage and and entry harazrds on Dugtrio's end too.

I really am loving Sand right now. It has access to pseudo-abusers with 4x resists to both Ice and Fire, two crucial types to be able to take, in things like Empoleon and Omastar. Hippopotas is actually hilariously bulky with Eviolite, able to tank CC from Toxic Orb Heracross for a little over 55% with ease and Slack Off the damage, without even max investment.

Lots of opportunites to pack Phazing moves is proving great as well, with SmashPass and such as well as the reisdual damage SS brings. Not only that but you have tons of bulky stat uppers like Cradily, Regirock etc to choose from as well as frailer faster sweepers like Shall Smashers for instance, letting you build a really versatile team.

That's pretty good. Would Quick Attack be enough to make it up to the KO? Because then if you Fire Blast when it switches in, you might be able to kill it before it can damage you.

Or maybe Vulpix could still beat Dugtrio with Eviolite. Like if you Will-O-Wisp and burn it on the switch-in, perhaps Vulpix can survive Earthquake, and then Fire Blast + 20% from two rounds of burn can KO it? And factor in Life Orb damage and and entry harazrds on Dugtrio's end too.
@bold text: You DID say Vulpix @ Focus Sash...

I actually found sandstorm team "effective" in uu. With a lot of steels to counter hail teams and a lot of rocks to counter sun teams. Cradily with storm drain is very effective at taking the water attacks ss teams are weak to.

the reason to use cradily is for suction cups, otherwise it will be outsped and phazed, getting rid of its boosts, if you want storm drain, go with gaastrodon as NatGeo said

with haze milotic, cradily is not looking as awesome as it could have, still, that thing is a hell to take down if you don't pack a SE move against her

breh

強いだね
yeah I'm seconding Benlisted; Hippopotas is very bulky. Even with no attacks, it manages to be a big nuisance for the opponent. Needs aromatherapy/heal bell support though to be a true team player.

Wait

No mention of Gastrodon yet?

He can absorb any Water attacks coming at, say, Rhyperior for the sake of a subject, get a storm drain boost, and then just spam surf and earth power, using recover when necessary.

Trust me hes pretty good in this meta
You could use Storm Drain Cradily instead to actually use the Sand boost and not add a extra gaping grass weak.

Cradily's attack and special attack are exactly the same, and its special defense is higher than its defense (even before sandstorm). I'd say it fills the role on a sandstorm team much better than Gastrodon, since it's effectively neutral to the entire F/W/G core that gives sand so much trouble.

Regirock definitely deserves to be in the OP.

As for special moves for Cradily: Energy Ball, Giga Drain, Ancientpower (lol), Wring Out (lol), Earth Power from 4th Gen, and umm... Sludge Bomb. Although you could always use Hidden Power.

Agreed, a Curse Regirock gets perfect coverage with Stone Edge and Drain Punch, and even has one extra move available for whatever the team needs. It can also go Curse-Hammer Arm-Stone Edge-Rest

Does anybody here think that one Sand Rush Sandslash is released, will it make it to OU, or will Sandslash continue its existance in UU?

Regirock definitely deserves to be in the OP.

As for special moves for Cradily: Energy Ball, Giga Drain, Ancientpower (lol), Wring Out (lol), Earth Power from 4th Gen, and umm... Sludge Bomb. Although you could always use Hidden Power.
All it really needs is one or two offensive moves, Toxic, and Recover to be a sandstorm wall. It can't wall steels without Earth Power, but if you're running a SAND team you should be adequately equipped to handle UU steels already.

(all this cradily talk is in anticipation for its DW release)

As for Sandslash, it's probably going to remain UU if only because its advantages over Excadrill aren't very many, and lacking steel-type limits its switch-in opportunities.

breh

強いだね
it will remain RU or NU or whatever because Sandslash's attack is pretty lackluster when compared to the wonder that is excadrill's base 135.

hell, even stoutland has a slightly stronger STAB.

The Only Advantages I see Sandslash have over Excadrill is Neutrally to Fighting and Ground Moves, especially Mach punch and Earthquake, so you don't have to worry about Conkedurr ruining your fun and you don't have to carry a balloon.

You're still walled by physical walls like Skarmory and Gliscor and Hippodwon etc...

You're Vulnerable to Toxic, decreasing your Sandslash's Life span

Lower Speed at base 60 I think (I'm just guessing) means some Scarf users out speed you and KO you, I think Scarf Latios can come in on a Predicted EQ and proceed to KO you on your weak Sp-def side

I fink Sandslash has a High Def stat, something like base 110 (I'm guessing again) so it should be able to take those neutral Physical attacks.

I can't think of any other pros and cons, between Sandslash and Excadrill.

I wonder if Sandslash will be banned from UU, as the only reliable counter I can think of it Azumaril Mamoswine and Weavile, Do Scarf 100s outspeed Sandslash in the sand?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)