Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question on Scizor, I'm looking for a sweeper,which is better, 252 speed 252 attack or 252 hp and 252 attack? Moveset: Also Life orb, Choiceband??

~bullet punch
~swords dance
~Bug bite
~Superpower

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
It depends on what type of sweeper you are going for. You can run an offensive version with max speed or a slower but bulkier version, or also a defensive spread with Leftovers. Choice Band Sets usually run 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef Adamant to ensure bulk to take Draco Meteors and Surfs from dragons. Looks solid enough for a moveset, I would use Life Orb on that one with the first spread to give it maximum offensive power. You can run a bulky set which uses enough speed to outrun defensive tran with U-Turn in combination or Superpower.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
~bullet punch
~swords dance
~Bug bite
~Superpower
as noted by on site analyses, an SD+3 scizor is generally best suited for an offensive spread and item, so PDC's recommendation of LO sounds on spot. mixed spread between speed and HP, with ofc adamant max attack, is probably your best bet. if you want a bulkier booster you're better off going roost over superpower and investing significantly in special bulk

Does Magic Bounce, works as a field effect in a Double/Triple battle for example you have Espeon and Volcarona your side, and then try to Toxic Volcarona, does magic bounce bounce it?

I can say for double battles that the Magic Bounce user does protect the mon next to it. You just have to be vary that Magic Bounce only works once a turn - any consecutive status move will slip through.
I don't know if it protects the mon on the other side of the field in triples, though.

Edit: Magic Bounce work on entry hazards in triples from any position, but we are not sure about singe-target moves yet.

And since I'm already here, may I ask how serious I should take this rule?
-No Darmanitan-Z. Anywhere, any time, any reason. NO.
I'd rather risk getting infracted right now than accidentally helping a poor guy with his Darmanitan-Z openly. This question is serious!

Hi everyone! I have question to ask.
I'm currently trying to build a Sun team and I pretty much figured out Pokemon to use against most common problems for Sun teams, except for Politoed. So what are some Pokemons that can take out Politoed that can fit on a Sun team? Can Venusaur take him out?

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
CB Victini can be a good choice. Not only benefits greatly from sunlight, but also lures in Politoed like no other poke (since it's unlikely to find something else that can take CB sun boosted V-Creates) and can either U-Turn on it right to Ninetales, to remove the weather advantage, or just Fusion Bolt, that deals 67.7 - 79.68% to 252/252+ Politoed, and that means a probable KO after some switch-ins on Rocks, or whatever residual damage it may have taken. Venusaur can indeed take down Politoed, however noone would let its inducer in on Venusaur (bar Scarf sets and Saur low enough on HP to be taken down by Ice Beam, but that's besides the point), thus for this specific task is worse than Victini (it can't lure in its intended target).

Thank you for the answer. Yeah I've been thinking between using either a Victini or an Infernape for a physical offensive pokemon.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
You could also try Magma Trapper Heatran. Luring in Politoed and trapping him with Magma Storm, then setting up Sunny Day to weaken the water attacks it has. It can then finish it off with Solar Beam for the kills. This works great against Tyranitar too as if Heatran is health and they lack Superpower, they lose.

Offensive LO Volcarona with Giga Drain can lure Politoed decently enough and OHKO while surviving an OHKO from specs Hydro Pump after 2 QDs; sadly Stealth Rock needs to be off the field for this to happen. It can also 2HKO on the switch.

Regarding Keldeo and Keldeo-R,

I have seen some sources conflicting, so I am going to ask here. Most say that Keldeo must be in Resolute Forme if it knows Secret Sword, and in Ordinary Forme if it doesn't know the move.

However, would the following be possible?

1. Obtain a Keldeo (Ordinary Forme) by event in B2W2
2. Trade the Keldeo to BW
3. With Virizion, Terrakion, and Cobalion, teach the Keldeo Secret Sword at the Moor of Irricus. (Since the Resolute Forme did not exist in BW, it will remain in the Ordinary Forme.)
4. Trade the Keldeo back to B2W2

As far as I know, Keldeo only changes forme if taught Secret Sword at Pledge Grove, a BW2 Area. If taught the move at the Moor of Irricus in BW, it will not change forme.

Notably, if it is possible to teach Keldeo Secret Sword without changing it to Resolute Forme, then this will remove all competitive use of the Resolute forme, since the Ordinary Forme will be identical, but will not reveal its moveset.

Magnezone aside, how do rain teams typically deal with steel threats, especially ones that lack a significant weakness outside fire such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, Genesect, Scizor?

Boosted water moves. The only Steel-type that I can think of that resists Water is Ferrothorn, and some prominent Rain sweepers carry either neutral STAB (Hurricane) or super-effective coverage (Secret Sword, Focus Blast, Superpower). But outside of Ferrothorn, boosted Water does stupid amounts of damage.

PDC

street spirit fade out
I can say for double battles that the Magic Bounce user does protect the mon next to it. You just have to be vary that Magic Bounce only works once a turn - any consecutive status move will slip through.
I don't know if it protects the mon on the other side of the field in triples, though.

Edit: Magic Bounce work on entry hazards in triples from any position, but we are not sure about singe-target moves yet.

And since I'm already here, may I ask how serious I should take this rule?
I'd rather risk getting infracted right now than accidentally helping a poor guy with his Darmanitan-Z openly. This question is serious!
It is extremely stupid to ever use this Pokemon with Zen Mode and it is completely impractical. I remember somebody made a thread about it and it was really stupid, it is unviable and is a very stupid ability which has basically no reliable uses.

Ok, quick question that I hadn't even thought might be an issue until the other day: is Genesect pronounced "JEAN-sect" or "GEN-esect?" I've always said the latter but I wasn't sure.

Ok, quick question that I hadn't even thought might be an issue until the other day: is Genesect pronounced "JEAN-sect" or "GEN-esect?" I've always said the latter but I wasn't sure.
Bulbapedia Name Origin: Genesect may be a combination of gene, genetics, genome, or genesis, and insect.
Genesis?

Genesect does not have an official pronunciation as of yet; it could be jenna-sect for all we know. I was wondering if the "Gene" prefix could refer to genesis, in one instance meaning the beginning of something. The games say Genesect has existed for quite a long time, so could this be a name origin?-- Swagmander 04:07, 10 February 2011 (UTC)
A long time =/= beginning. It is isn't as unlikely and the option below, but it most likely refers to gene/genetics/a similar term. I am not going to completely oppose it being added, but I do think it shouldn't be there. --SnorlaxMonster 10:38, 13 February 2011 (UTC)
Genocide?

Could the name come from the term 'genocide'? - unsigned comment from Fencingwolf13 (talk • contribs)
Possibly, due to its large cannon, and that it was apparently the most feared hunter in its time. There have been much less likely name origin theories, so it should be added. XVuvuzela2010X 17:01, 12 February 2011 (UTC) The fact that it was specifically romanized "Genesect" makes me doubt that. It was genetically engineered, so it almost certainly comes from gene/genetics/a similar term. And situations where . --SnorlaxMonster 10:38, 13 February 2011 (UTC) It should be noted that Japan does not have a romanised word for Genocide starting with ゲノ. Genocide is romanized as ジェノサイド (JEnosaido.) What the Geno part in its name refers to is actually Genome (ゲノム/Ge-no-mu, and that's Geh, not Jee)... Which is why I think the English name is utterly ridiculous because it never was referring to Genocide in the slightest. Design be damned. I'd personally prefer it if people removed the thing about Genocide in the name details, since it's never referred to that at all. Common sense and language knowledge here, people. Callyne4 23:46, 3 March 2011 (UTC)

I find it most reasonable to be pronounced like Jen-uh-sect, but since it hasn't made an appearance in the anime, (TV series or movie,) an official pronunciation has not been declared

Boosted water moves. The only Steel-type that I can think of that resists Water is Ferrothorn, and some prominent Rain sweepers carry either neutral STAB (Hurricane) or super-effective coverage (Secret Sword, Focus Blast, Superpower). But outside of Ferrothorn, boosted Water does stupid amounts of damage.
Mmwawkay.

Another quick Q, Lati and Heatran aside, are there any other reliable sun checks? I assume Toed somewhat fits into this category since it changes the weather?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
stuff like terrakion tends to perform well against sun by nature (run quick attack and you aren't even dugtrio weak!) because having ninetales tends to make you rock weak - stuff like shed shell tar with SR and invested stone edges is very difficult for sun to break.

dragons, being among the best venu checks in the game, tend to also perform well against sun - latias is the classic example because it can check a LOT of things on sun, but stuff like dnite, etc also works well. sun has minimal steel presence and steels will not like taking sun fire coverage. similarly, tornadus-T with rain dance can have a field day against sun since sun rarely has a hurricane resist and dancing on a predicted ninetales switch is five turns of catastrophe for most sun teams

haunter

Banned deucer.
Scarf Terrakion is a good sun check, but nowadays many Venusaur are running a timid nature to outspeed it, so beware. When I build weatherless teams I often use LO Mamoswine to check sun offence. Chlorophyllers are kept in check by ice shard, while common sun team members like Heatran and Xatu fear EQ and icicle crash respectively. Being able to ohko Dugtrio with ice shard is also nice.

Other options, as alkinesthetease pointed out, are dragons like Dragonite and the Lati twins. Another noticeable option is Heatran, but beware of the common Genesect+Dugtrio core.

If it doesn't dispute the team synergy then 2 CB pokemon can work. As in they don't take the place of something more useful and they provide different coverage then each other. However also keep in mind the more choice users you have the even more you have to be on top of your predictions.

Gimmick

Electric potential
is having two cb pokemon on the same team redundant?
It depends on the team, really:

Google (lol) said:
re·dun·dant/riˈdəndənt/

Adjective:
  • No longer needed or useful; superfluous.
  • (of words or data) Able to be omitted without loss of meaning or function.
Two different CB Pokemon can play 2 different functions on the same team. For example, on the team I'm currently using, I have both a CB Terrakion and CB Genesect. CB Terrakion often lures in Psychic types like Lati@s/Celebi/etc where a simple double switch into Genesect can threaten those out. The incoming switch is then forced to take a +1 Choice Band U-turn, which definitely is not fun (Fact: +1 CB U-turn 2HKOs Landorus). The Choice Band on Genesect increases the pressure on your opponent's team through massive damage output while a simple Scarf U-turn won't be doing as much, and therefore pressures less. The above user is correct, though: prediction is key. Being Choice locked means you pretty much have to use the right move to hit the correct switch-in or you lose momentum. I digress: this is why I like CB Genesect (and Scizor). There is nothing wrong with mis-predicting something with U-turn since you can just go into the appropriate check/counter. Anyway, going by the definition of redundant--sometimes 2 CB Pokemon can be needed without being excessive. Removing a CB Pokemon may decrease the effectiveness of a team that provides 2. It definitely is team-dependent though. And I would also agree that they should be slightly different in coverage for two reasons:

• One CB Pokemon can support the other in offensive typing, thus creating more offensive pressure on the opponent
  • A second, similar role filled by a second, similar CB Pokemon takes up space on these limited-to-6 teams that can be used more efficiently than a different Pokemon. For example, if you have a CB Terrakion and a CB Conkeldurr, they have similar offensive typing, resistances, and roles, so the rest of your team is limited by a whole Pokemon. Maybe in this instance, replacing Conkeldurr with a CB TTar would be more beneficial for Terrakion to Pursuit trap common checks/counters like the Lati twins, Gengar, Celebi, etc. With these removed by the power of TTar, Terrakion can more freely spam CB Close Combats, which of course puts massive pressure on opposing teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)