Smogon Awards Nominations Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello!

If you haven't done so already please go read the Smog article Introduction to the Smog Awards.

In addition to PMing the Smogon user SMOGON AWARDS, you can also discuss your nominations (and provide reasoning!) in this thread.

Please format your nomination like this:

[NOMINATION]
Category - Nominations
Reasoning

Example:
[NOMINATION]
Biggest Fruit - Tangerine
Tangerine is the biggest fruit because he's named after a fruit.

-------

Please bold your nominations! Note that there are some rules:

• You can nominate up to three people per category
  • You many nominate for as many categories as you please
  • You cannot nominate yourself, threads you have made, posts you have posted, or mafia games/tournaments you have hosted.
  • You don't have to provide reasoning but it's encouraged. If your reasoning is well thought out and cool it might be included in the next issue!
  • You must have joined before June of 2009 to vote or nominate people.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please post them.

The deadlines for nominations is November 13th.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here is an easily copy/pasteable list of categories:

[NOMINATION]
Best OU Battler
Best UU Battler
Best Ubers Battler
Best Tournament Player
Best Ladder Player
Most Influential Player
Most Gimmicky Player
Biggest Upset (This can be a person or a situation in general)
Best Overall Battler
Nicest User
Meanest User
Wittiest Poster
Most Helpful Poster
Most Improved User
Most Overlooked User
Most Approachable User
Most Intimidating User
Best Mafia Game
Best Mafia Player
Best Debater
Best Discussion Sparker
Most Influential User
Best Overall IRC User
Best Overall Smogoner
Best Congregation Poster
Best Firebot Poster
Best Stark/Policy Review Poster
Best Wifi User
Best Thread of 2009
Best Trou Thread of 2009
Best Post of 2009
Best Overall Poster
Best Shoddy Mod
Best Forum Mod
Best Writer
Most Promising New User
Best Warstory
Best Non official Tournament
Best Researcher
Best Contributor
Best Artist
Best Team Rater
Best Editor

It means you don't have to nominate people for every category. You can pick and choose which categories for which you feel qualified to nominate.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We removed (most) awards that were simply just too negative and not helpful. We also removed some redundant ones (like "who should post more" and "best poster" is redundant).

There is no "best well" category because we felt that it wasn't something worth giving an award for - simple as that.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm surprised at no "most improved player". These awards seem very focused on the forum, away from actual competitive play.

So do we just copy/paste the list into a pm to smogon awards, and then put the user name after each category, and then our reason below it?

I'm confused on how to use the list...

Best OU Battler: Only being able to pick 3 nominations for OU just blows, because I'm pretty sure most people can list off more than three people who are really, really good...
IPL- supreme long term vision and knowledge of the metagame pays off, great on OU ladder
Panamaxis- Ultimate Cup winner, great on OU ladder
Husk- MVP of the World Cup

Best UU Battler:
Eo Ut Mortus- consistently #1 on UU ladder when he makes the effort, went undefeated in Team Trials, did well in UU smogon tours
IPL- made a magical smogon tour team that could decimate other UU stalls, but when matched with his own battling prowess, could also edge out the most offensive of UU teams as well, good at ladder too
Twist of Fate- frgin good at standard UU stall teams hard to break, good at ladder too

Best Ubers Battler:
Mind- I don't know much about Ubers, though I do know that what happens often is that people win Ubers Smogon Tours and get high placings on the Ubers ladder with this guy's teams. He also does pretty well himself in both tourneys and ladder.

Best Ladder Player:
IPL- Consistently at or near the top of the OU ladder, was 1st in UU for a while, placed relatively high in Ubers at the same time
Eo Ut Mortus- Was 1st in both UU and Ubers for a long duration of time. He also made the accomplishment of having 5 alts comprising of the top 6 account on the UU ladder once.
Edit:Krack-was #1 on all ladders simultaneously?

Best Tournament Player
Reachzero- reaches deep into almost every tournament he enters

I voted for Bloo, plain and simple. He is a powerful one, yet is very modest...

(This is the 11th post in this thread, and I have 1,111 posts... odd.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
I would add Krack to your Best Ladder Player list, xiang. I mean, he got #1 in all the ladders (barring suspect, which wasnt active) at the same time.

Theorymon is the best IRC user. Every time he pops up in #stark talking about random Ubers stuff, my heart gets all aflutter. I also nominated him for Most Influential Player because unless I'm not paying good enough attention, he pretty much leads the Ubers metagame in terms of innovation; nobody works harder than he does at both analyzing and playing the game. I wish more players were like him, and not just in this community.

I nominated Theorymon for a couple other categories too. I'm pretty much gay for Theorymon.

I would add Krack to your Best Ladder Player list, xiang. I mean, he got #1 in all the ladders (barring suspect, which wasnt active) at the same time.
And right now he is number 1 on suspect ladder assuming kraq is krack meaning in a span of about a week he has been number one in all of the ladders.

hmm.. some of these are really hard to narrow down for me. I'll submit my full nomination list tonight hopefully, and make it public :P

as rey said

i voted for Krack to Best Ladder Player , because the numbers are indisputable in the ladder , he got #1 in all the ladders.

Nicest User - Hipmonlee, Glen.
Reason: Well, Hip is just a given, though Glen is a sweetie. Haha.

Wittiest Poster - Doctor Heartbreak
Reason: Amazing timing and quality.

Most Helpful Poster - Xia

Most Overlooked Poster - Big Bayou

Most Intimidating User - Capt Kirby

Best Discussion Sparker - Deck Knight

Most Influential User - Brain

Best Firebot Poster - Kellogsequent, Foreys

Best Thread of 2009 - toss up between http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58608 and http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59642

Best Trou Thread of 2009 - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56865

Best Shoddy Mod - Panamaxis

Best Forum Mod - Cookie

Best Artist - Aragornbird, Rocket Grunt

Edit: Tangerine, I know. :) I've already PMed them in.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just letting you guys know that the nominations posted here will NOT be counted - this thread is really for people who wants to show their nominations/want to discuss categories/nominees.

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
Best OU Battler: Earthworm - He makes little to no mistakes, his predictions are more than often correct.
Best UU Battler: LonelyNess, SevenDeadlySins - Both are strong team builders and battlers.
Best Ubers Battler: Mind, Jibaku - He has shown he can consistently beat the Uber ladder and those leaderboarders who play it. The latter is one excellent stall player.
Best Tournament Player: Earthworm - Wins and progresses in tournaments often.
Best Ladder Player: ImPerfectLuck - Most consistent lader player, and has remained so for a long time.
Most Influential Player: Theorymon - He is passionate about his work, and thus influences others, although he can be annoying, he's good at what he does.
Best Overall Battler: Loki - Strong at everything.
Nicest User: Jumpluff, Captain Kirby - Both are fun to talk to and nice!
Wittiest Poster: Cookie - Smart man.
Most Approachable User: Serv - A nice man.
Best Mafia Player: LonelyNess - Strong at manipulating people, and a great liar too.
Best Shoddy Mod: Seven Deadly Sins - Talks to users in main chat, moderates the chat and battles, he's a great mod.
Best Artist: Lorak - His art is amazing.
Best Team Rater: Haunter - His rates are helpful and concrete.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's all my nominations, along with reasons and shoutouts to all the nominees:

Nicest User - X-Act, jumpluff
X-Act is always cordial, polite, and logical -- even in the face of conflict and dispute. That's a rare quality online. Jumpluff has made friends across the Smogon community and is reknowned for her nice disposition. She is always involved in friendly conversations on the forum, IRC, and the server.

Meanest User - Tangerine
I realize this is somewhat of a joke category, and the "Tangermean" thing is now a bit of a cliche. But, over the past year, if there was any sort of fight happening in Smogon -- Tangerine was often in the middle of it.

Wittiest Poster - cookie
I rarely see a post from cookie that isn't deft and witty. For someone that makes so many humorous comments in Firebot, Trou, and elsewhere -- it's easy to come off as "trying too hard". That's never the case with Cookie, which is a testament to his razor-sharp wit.

Most Helpful User - Colin, Darkie, Jimbo
Colin has the patience of Job, as evidenced by his tireless efforts in the Shoddy Battle forum, with the same basic "please help me" requests over and over and over. Darkie and Jimbo are jack-of-all-trades in Smogon and this year they were two of the biggest workhorses in various areas of the community.

Most Improved User - Fuzznip
He went from being a constant "Lurk More" and "Incoherent Post" infraction recipient -- to being a respected badgeholder, a go-to analysis writer, and quality poster throughout Smogon. The turnaround is amazing.

Most Overlooked User - Misty
An omnipresent admin that works behind-the-scenes to keep things moving smoothly. Always willing to re-evaluate Smogon and consider new ideas.

Most Approachable User - Mingot, Jimbo
Mingot and Jimbo are always involved in group discussions and team projects. They both seem to work well with a variety of other Smogoners. I guess it's a wifi thing...

Best Debater - Aldaron, Blame Game
Since Aldaron gets into many outright "fights" online, I think his general approach to argumentation might get overlooked. But, I've seen Aldaron exhibit a rare quality in debate -- an effort to acknowledge the opponent's argument. Aldaron is certainly bull-headed and inflexible much of the time -- but I think he looks at "the big picture" more than people realize. Blame Game gets a nod from me for being patient and logical, while still firmly getting his point across. Even when I disagree with his point, I usually enjoy reading his arguments.

Best Discussion Sparker - Tangerine
This one goes to Tangerine, and second place is nowhere close. Tangerine has made it a personal mission to increase the overall quality of discussion in Smogon, and he has relentlessly taken steps to make that happen. Tangerine is always posing new ideas and proposals. Whether you agree with Tangerine or not -- you can't deny that he gets people talking.

Most Influential User - Jumpman16, Aeolus
Over the past year, Jumpman and Aeolus have acted as sort of "head admins" for the community. Their combination of seniority and involvement, put them in the middle of most of the big decisions made in Smogon this year -- with many other community leaders looking to them for a "thumbs up or thumbs down".

Best Overall IRC User - Aldaron, Tangerine, JabbaTheGriffin, Colin
I'm on IRC for several hours almost every day, and these four seem to be in the middle of the most of the good talk on #stark and the internal channel -- the two official channels I watch most closely. I list Aldaron first, because of his efforts to keep #stark interesting and relevant, without descending into pokenoob drivel.

Best Overall Smogoner - Jumpman16, BlueKirby
Jumpman had another stellar year within Smogon. He continues to be involved in multiple facets of the community, and exemplifies the qualities and achievements that the rest of the community hopes to achieve. C'mon, admit it -- everyone wants to be like Jumpman... BlueKirby has a wide variety of Smogon involvement. He is up-to-date with competitive battling, he is involved technically with the site, and he leads the Tutoring Program. He's liked by all and has transitioned well with his promotion to admin.

Best Stark Poster - reachzero, Haunter, Legacy Raider
When it comes to competitive Pokemon talk, these three always seem to raise the bar when they post. I put RZ first, because I think he has elevated his game over the past year, and has really stepped up in leading community opinion in Stark threads.

Best Thread of 2009 - Hax In Pokemon Battles (the Policy Review thread setup for April Fools)
This thread was the public face of the April Fools joke, which was the most fun I had online all year. Seeing all the wonderful posts from Smogoners new and old, all coming together to pull off the prank -- it was epic.

Best Overall Poster - Brain
Brain doesn't post very much, but when he does post, it never disappoints. He is thoughtful, logical, and writes in such a way that makes me want to read more. He often criticizes himself for posting tl;dr -- but I never get bored reading a long post from Brain.

Best Shoddy Mod - Imperfectluck
He battles a lot, and he battles a lot under his modded account -- which is admirable. He stays involved in the chat, and he relentlessly moderates chat offenders. He's worshipped as a hero on the server -- and deservedly so.

Best Forum Mod - RB-Golbat
A supermod that uses his unrestricted mod powers to actually help police the entire Smogon forum community. Tirelessly works to keep the forums in good order, and exemplifies the phrase "firm but fair".

Best Writer - Sarenji, Cookie
Their work in The Smog this year stood out to me. There are many competent writers in Smogon, but few that have creativity like Sarenji and Cookie. When reading their stuff, it was so good, it made me look up to notice the by-line. That's the ultimate compliment I can give a writer.

Best Researcher - Colin, RB-Golbat
Colin has worked continuously this year to get the mechanics for Shoddy 2 absolutely perfect. From a sheer fact-gathering standpoint, his work is impressive. But, on top of that, he has woven the empirical evidence together and formed elegant models for how everything interrelates. Colin has been the ultimate "Pokemon scientist" this year. RB-Golbat gets a nom from me for his untiring participation in some of the most laborious research projects this year. Some people may take the results of RBG's research work for granted -- but I certainly appreciated it.

Best Contributor - Theorymon, X-Act
My nominations here come from two sides. Theorymon has been a one-man gang when it comes to C&C output. People may chide him for his lengthy analyses, but his commitment to improving the Strategy Pokedex is unquestioned. X-Act is the consummate contributor outside of C&C. He's always figuring out new things, generating data reports, writing new guides and applets -- and he does it all from his own initiative.

Best Artist - Cartoons, Wyverii, Rocket Grunt
Cartoons and Rocket Grunt have been instrumental in making the The Smog look like a professional publication. Both of them are not only polished illustrators, but their art has flair and style too. Wyverii gets a nod from me for her work on the CAP project and producing art for the CAP website. She also has a jaw-dropping art thread and makes avvies and other stuff for various members of the community.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
Most Influential Player - Theorymon

Is there even a contest here? Theorymon defines an entire metagame by himself. His ideas dominate the metagame that is supposedly filled with gods. When a player can popularize Delibird in such a metagame, then you know that there is no other player can ever, ever, come close.

Nicest User - Colin, Misty, Teifu

"Nicest" and "Colin" are two words that many players will probably not piece together. But since joining Smogon and joining us on IRC, Colin has undoubtedly been the most polite user I have ever seen, and extremely approachable, despite rumors.

Meanest User - SevenDeadlySins, CaptKirby, MoP

Hah.

Wittiest Poster - Doctor Heartbreak, cookie

I don't think there is a way cookie isn't winning this award.

Most Helpful User - Jimbo, RB-Golbat

Most people probably have no idea how helpful Jimbo is. When we say Jimbo is "big" - we don't refer to his physical size - we refer to his presence he has made for Smogon. Jimbo is definitely a user that is helping out everywhere he can, from tutoring to the Smog to ingame expansion to the smog awards last year to even moderating Wi-Fi.

RB-Golbat is possibly the most helpful supermod I've seen.

Most Improved User - Xia

From firebanned to a badgeholder.

Most Overlooked User - MISTY

I often call Misty "the glue that holds Smogon together". I say this because if the adhesive is quality enough, no one notices that it is there. Misty is definitely one of those users who hold the site together, in the background, getting all the little things done that is needed to smoothly run the site. Without him there would be so much more bottlenecks.

Most Approachable User - Gouki

I don't think there's anyone who dislikes Gouki. Probably one of the most liked user on Smogon - and perhaps, one of the most approachable to talk to.

Most Intimidating User - I have clear body SORRY

lol Tangerine intimidated??!?!?!

Best Debater - Brain
, Colin

Pretty much the only users I've been able to consistently hold an excellent discussion with.

Best Discussion Sparker - obi, Blame Game

I bring up obi mostly because, his threads are consistently interesting - not just in Stark either, but mostly, his congregation threads.

Blame Game is pretty much everything we want from a poster in PR.

Most Influential User - Colin

Colin probably had the biggest impact in competitive Pokemon philosophy since he made shoddy battle, and I think he deserves this category just based on this influence.

Best Overall IRC User - Colin, Brain

See: Best Debater

Best Overall Smogoner - Jimbo

"Surprise". There's a reason that I will nominate Jimbo over someone like Jumpman or Doug (not that they don't deserve this award - they're both excellent users who represent smogon very well). The reason being is that I think Jimbo is pretty much the best we expect out of Smogon users - helpful, constructive, all over the place, and did I mention helpful? Jimbo is the smogon mascot, and pretty much I believe better represents the site mostly because of he's not an "ideal" user like Jumpman or Doug, but a down to earth user.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
going to share some of my nominations for battling!

Best OU Battler
Gouki, husk, Loki
these guys are BIG

Best UU Battler
Twist of Fate, imperfectluck, Gouki
ToF and IPL were basically a given based on their performance in the tour, I've also seen gouki play very well on the UU ladder

Best Ubers Battler
Reachzero, Jibaku, (Theorymon)
Reach and Jibaku was who I originally though of when it came to ubers, I didn't include theory as my vote simply because I consider him to be more of a metagame researcher then a competitive battler although don't get me wrong, he knows the tier better than anyone I know.

Best Ladder Player
Krack, Kevin Garett, imperfectluck
IPL is the most consistent ladder player in the entirety of competitive battling, krack has also shown ridiculous laddering by achieving #1 on every single ladder, kg has also shown consistent numbers on the ladder too.

Most Gimmicky Player
Phillip7086
I've known phil for a while and I have never honestly faced a team of his without some sort of catch. "Gimmicky", to me is a little harsh to describe phil's teams as they often win while at the same time remaining extremely innovative

Biggest Upset
LoveDestiny
how many times have we seen people pick against LD in not only the ultimate cup but also the world cup?? too many considering he's pulled through 90%+ of the time

Best Overall Battler
Earthworm, Gouki, DARKLUCARIO
germany pouwer!!!1

ok , my others nominations

Best OU Battler: husk , Earthworm , imperfectluck

Best UU Battler: Dekzeh , Eo Ut Mortus , Gouki

Best Ubers Battler: Mind , Jibaku

Best Ladder Player: Krack , imperfectluck , Kevin Garett

Most Influential Player: Theorymon

Most Gimmicky Player: Phillip7086

Biggest Upset: LoveDestiny

Best Overall Battler: Loki , DarkLucario

Nicest User: Hipmonlee , Jimbo

Most Intimidating User: Aldaron

Most Influential User: Aeolus , Jumpman16

Best Shoddy Mod: Gouki

Best Forum Mod
: RB-Golbat

Best Artist: Pirika

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
How am I not surprised that people are too immature to handle something as simple and as "for fun" as this?

Then again, most of you probably haven't figured out that this isn't the right place to nominate? It's surprising how many infractions I gave out just on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)