CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
it does. People, please, if you are going to post for the first time here, at least read the first page of the current poll, or better yet, all of the past polls.

Revenankh is a perfect name. Honestly, I'd say that name makes this pokemon seem very intimidating. It's long, but doesn't drag on -- and it fits the theme.
...then you'll get all the poor grammar failures who can't pronounce it. I do like the name aesthetically though.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Revenankh, Houtaijin, and Zombrawl are my favorite names posted so far. Houtaijin is just cool beyond belief. Now I really wish my design would have won, because that name "feels" so right for that design. It doesn't feel as right for KOA's mummy. But a great name is great name, regardless of the design. Revenankh is really original and probably my favorite for the mummy. Zombrawl is basic, but hits the mark well. Feels totally right for our mummified tank. I hope all three make it to the name poll.

Okay, you guys love Shed Skin too much. It is way ahead of the other ones. Well, here is the final Tally

Air Lock - 28 votes - 11.48%
Dry Skin - 38 votes - 15.57%
Immunity - 11 votes - 4.51%
Insomnia - 32 votes - 13.11%
Rough Skin - 17 votes - 6.97%
Sand Veil - 14 votes - 5.74%
Shed Skin - 61 votes - 25.00%
Synchronize - 8 votes - 3.28%
Snare Trap - 35 votes - 14.34%

I'm considering just calling Shed Skin the main trait because of its enormous lead. I also can't decide the cut off point for the next poll. Right now, the bolded ones are the ones I am going to move on, but Air Lock can also move on, or I could drop Insomnia. I'm really not sure since Dry Skin, Snare Trap, Insomnia, and Air Lock are all within 10 votes of each other.

Zombrawl remembers smash brawl.
Houtaijin sounds like japanese, and words ended in jin in japanese mean it's someone from a country, like, american, spanish. It's weird.

Mumrah is getting my vote because i like short and easyt words. But Revenankh is coolest.
Mummahos cool too.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If you call shed skin the main trait, which i'm all for, do we really need insomnia? not really. give air lock a chance here as its only 4 votes behind it. Thank god Sand Veil isn't going through.

Call Shed Skin as the main trait, and hold a four-way poll between the next four (Air Lock, Insomnia, Dry Skin, Snare Trap).

Insomnia will suck ... I want this thing to be able to use Rest, damnit.

i agree with tennisace about giving air lock a chance. move all five on, cut off at 28...or, call shed skin the main trait and just drop insomnia.

also, reiterating the argument AGAINST snare trap/entomb, because it almost requires that we give this guy the custom move to make it worth it. the only way i think this ability is fair is if the move to go with it has shit accuracy. otherwise this guy can literally toxistall (even toxifusion!) whole teams, which i dont think is something we really want. if it stuck with just wrap/bind/whatever without the custom move at 50 bp, then its less cheap. seriously, that stands a chance at becoming the next parahax togekiss...i don't see much good coming from it. the other options are just more strategic and interesting.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, you guys love Shed Skin too much. It is way ahead of the other ones. Well, here is the final Tally

Air Lock - 28 votes - 11.48%
Dry Skin - 38 votes - 15.57%
Immunity - 11 votes - 4.51%
Insomnia - 32 votes - 13.11%
Rough Skin - 17 votes - 6.97%
Sand Veil - 14 votes - 5.74%
Shed Skin - 61 votes - 25.00%
Synchronize - 8 votes - 3.28%
Snare Trap - 35 votes - 14.34%

I'm considering just calling Shed Skin the main trait because of its enormous lead. I also can't decide the cut off point for the next poll. Right now, the bolded ones are the ones I am going to move on, but Air Lock can also move on, or I could drop Insomnia. I'm really not sure since Dry Skin, Snare Trap, Insomnia, and Air Lock are all within 10 votes of each other.

My only worry with Dry Skin is balance issues. A Water Immunity and healing in Rain Dance is really quite powerful. I don't want to step on so many people's votes, but I am worried about it.

I'm just surpised my barely fleshed out ability managed to do so well.

I'm currently thinking the best way to balance it is to give all partial trapping abilities a minimum of 3 turns, and deal 1/8th damage.

This leaves the 1/8th damage effect to the trait and just makes Shadowbind (if we use it) a better, STABbed version of Wrap, with 1/16th regular damage. This makes its benefits over Shadow Punch limited if it doesn't have the Snare Trap trait. A decent balance overall I think.

So:

Snare Trap: This pokemon's partial trapping moves are in effect for 3 turns minimum, and deal 1/8th damage at the end of each round.

Urza said:
also, reiterating the argument AGAINST snare trap/entomb, because it almost requires that we give this guy the custom move to make it worth it. the only way i think this ability is fair is if the move to go with it has shit accuracy. otherwise this guy can literally toxistall (even toxifusion!) whole teams, which i dont think is something we really want. if it stuck with just wrap/bind/whatever without the custom move at 50 bp, then its less cheap. seriously, that stands a chance at becoming the next parahax togekiss...i don't see much good coming from it. the other options are just more strategic and interesting.
You can't Toxistall whole teams even assuming everything goes your way. You have to Wrap/Shadowbind each and every one of them successfully while they use whatever attacks they happen to have. This isn't a Shadow Tag clone. It requires you use a moveslot and attack turn on a partial trapping move. Unless you think your opponents are all going to be using Splash as you try this, it's a long way from broken. Moreover since it does require an attack turn, they can switch in their Counter.

i'm not saying that's broken, just that it doesn't sound fun...i don't know, it's my opinion. i think it's well designed and thought out, but it seems very haxy, and it's not something i'd enjoy seeing implemented. i'm not mortally opposed to it.

reading your post deck, i agree that dry skin is actually much worse...

The problem with Dry Skin is that the way it works doesn't actually make any sense for a mummy Pokemon. Dry Skin represents Pokemon that live in and prefer wet, moist environments. This guy is the exact opposite, I imagine, preferring dry environments. A mummy probably shouldn't heal when taking water damage. Drought would actually make more sense to represent his dryness.

By anyway, yay for Shed Skin! It really is the best choice.

As for Snare Trap, it still feels a little elaborate. Abilities should usually only do one thing. Dry Skin is one exception, but it's very well implemented in that sense. I think just having it cause 1/8th damage for partial Trapping moves is enough. No increased duration/higher minimums. Not every Ability needs to be omgawesome! In fact, simple, slightly underpowered abilities often feel a bit more authentic.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Air Lock. Because, frankly, some Pokemon (erhem, HaxChomp) could just use the lack of weather supporting them.

I'm also backing Immunity. The few turns Toxic's in there on Houtaijin (which, by the way, is an awesome name) could take a toll defensively. In my opinion, better to be completely immune. Sure, Shed Skin works on all things, including Burn, which is a forseeable problem in there. But most of the things using WoW are things it probably shouldn't be trying to take on anyways (especially with the few turns you'll be burned).

May I have suggestions for names? If any are like, they're names could be references to Pokedex entries and the like.
Mummorn

Just a combination of the words Mummy and Morn. Maybe give it a background saying something like "When it was alive, it tried to protect its family but to no avail. It then honed its powers teaching itself fighting moves and practicing powers from the undead. As it walks today, it still greives about its lost family"

"Fi'Gypt"

Again, a combination. Fist+Egypt. Sorta the way you pronounce FarFetchd'

Tomomy

Not that nice, just a variation Tomb+Mummy, corny but meh.

Mumvile

Mummy+Vile in case Immunity is the picke ability. Can also be Mumlive or Mumevil.

Ankroah

Ankh+Pharoah. Simple, but cathcy.

Ankhrawl

Ankh+Brawl, another simple one.

Reapum

Reap+Mummy. Associated with Death.

Grimummy

Grim+mummy.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Drop Insomnia so Air Lock can have a chance.

Is Shadow Bind like a hybrid between the old school Wrap and new school Wrap?
Shadowbind would be New School Wrap with a Base Power that doesn't make you say "%$#& it" right off the bat. Snare Trap would boost its minimum duration to 3 turns and increase its damage/turn from 1/16th to 1/8th.

Trust me. If Wrap, Bind, Sand Tomb, Whirlpool, and Fire Spin all had 50 BP instead of 15, you'd be seeing a lot more of them.

Shadowbind would be New School Wrap with a Base Power that doesn't make you say "%$#& it" right off the bat. Snare Trap would boost its minimum duration to 3 turns and increase its damage/turn from 1/16th to 1/8th.

Trust me. If Wrap, Bind, Sand Tomb, Whirlpool, and Fire Spin all had 50 BP instead of 15, you'd be seeing a lot more of them.
I first believe that Shadow Bind was RBY Wrap v2.0 or something. That alone would have made me say "%$#& that @&*#" though deep down, I actually wanted that sort of trapping back in D/P lol

Deck Knight

I first believe that Shadow Bind was RBY Wrap v2.0 or something. That alone would have made me say "%$#& that @&*#" though deep down, I actually wanted that sort of trapping back in D/P lol
It was't trapping so much as annoyance. RBY Wrap could be switched out of,, although opponents had to wait a turn before they could switch or else they would be hit by another attack IIRC. Old School Wrap + Focus Punch would be brutal.

snare bind and shed skin for me. Shed skin is always useful on a tank (like a psuedo natural cure) and snare bind is cool with that trapping move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)