1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smogon Grand Slam - Introduction

Discussion in 'Smogon Grand Slam' started by Iconic, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconic

Iconic
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

The Smogon Grand Slam is a new tournament designed to ensure every Smogon-supported Gen V tier is represented in an official tournament. While the decision to return the Smogon Tour back to its multi-generation origins caused quite the stir, the Smogon Grand Slam will allow players of the UU, Ubers, RU, NU, and LC metagames to test their skills in a high-level tournament setting with a trophy on the line.

So what will this format be you may ask? Interestingly enough, it's more or less a hybrid of the preexisting official tournaments. The Smogon Grand Slam will be comprised of five separate tournaments: The UU Open, The RU Open, The Uber Open, The NU Open, and The LC Open. As you might expect, each Open will be a single elimination, best-of-three tournament. In other words, they will be the same format as the Official Smogon Tournament. There will be a point system identical to that of the Smogon Tour, meaning players will score points based on how many rounds they win in each tournament. The eight players with the most points after the five tournaments are completed will qualify for the playoffs where they will duke it out in a best-of-five series (UU, RU, Ubers, NU, and LC of course) to determine who is the champion of these five metagames.

As alluded to before, since this is an official tournament, the winner of the playoffs will naturally win a trophy! Up for grabs is this beautiful turquoise masterpiece created by the lovely and diligent Earthworm: [​IMG]

Signups for each Open will be posted after the completion of Round 1 of the previous Open, which we suspect will be after about two weeks. Note that hosts are allowed to participate in the Open they are hosting, but if they choose to do so, a third party will create match-ups. Here is a list of the order of the Opens, including the hosts and the date signups will be posted.

• The UU Open - Hosted by JabbaTheGriffin (July 16th)
    • The RU Open - Hosted by Oglemi (July 30th)
    • The Uber Open - Hosted by bojangles (August 13th)
    • The NU Open - Hosted by Zebraiken (August 27th)
    • The LC Open - Hosted by Aerrow (September 10th)

If there are any questions or concerns feel free to post them in this thread and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Big thanks to Earthworm, Bloo, and Aldaron for helping to get this tournament off the ground. Also kudos to Stellar for the awesome tournament names.

Keep in mind this tournament will be BW2 for its entirety. If tier shifts occur during a round, they will be taken into account in the subsequent round.

Good luck to all! and no johns :)!

For logistic reasons, I'll only update the onsite points after an Open concludes, but Vinc2612 is maintaining a very useful Google Document with current min/max points that everyone should check out!
  2. Bloo

Bloo
    is a Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris Smogon Frontier's Pike Queenis a Past WCoP Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier
    Head TD

3. Aldaron

Aldaron indefatigable workhorse
    is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administrator
    OU and IRC Leader

Of the three great avatars currently on this page, mine is clearly the best!

[​IMG] WOW! [​IMG]
  4. kokoloko

kokoloko supersmooth
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past SPL Winner
    UU Leader

[​IMG]

SMASH SLAM
  5. Leftiez

Leftiez *Stars*

6. MikeDecIsHere

MikeDecIsHere And the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

beautiful

Edit: Turquoise? Should have made it pink :[ Still cool though
  7. WhiteQueen

WhiteQueen boner dethroner
    is a SPL Winner

Make me the winner of the UU and RU Opens already, unless hax defeats me
  8. DetroitLolcat

DetroitLolcat Maize And Blue Badge Set :)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

haxorus isn't allowed in UU and RU

noob

Kidding of course, this will be a fun tournament! It seems like it will take half the year though...
  9. mien

mien
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

What happens if like 5 players end up reaching the eight place?
  10. Nova

Nova Palisades
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Smogon Tour trophy is already pink O.O

Grand Slam is COOL
  11. The QWAZ

The QWAZ

Brilliant, thanks to everyone who made this.
  12. Raseri

Raseri here to help
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Co-Leader

This. brb learning ubers
  13. WhiteQueen

WhiteQueen boner dethroner
    is a SPL Winner

Fuk ubers and lc. but im unstoppable at UU and RU. Nu, eh. So it's fair
  14. AlphaJolt

AlphaJolt

I'll be taking LC home, but I guess I should learn some of the other metas.
  15. Malekith

Malekith
    is a Community Contributoris a SPL Winner

Interesting, good job!
  16. LUST

LUST
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Lies Aldaron, my avatar is always superior than everyone else's.

[​IMG] WOW! [​IMG]
  17. shnen

shnen שוני
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

woo, NU!
  18. M Dragon

M Dragon The north wind
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arena Tycoonis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Champion

Excellent idea.
  19. CakesOfSpan

CakesOfSpan

Reminds me a lot of the tennis opens, and the world tour final. :p

This may actually get me into playing these different tiers, should be a lot of fun!
  20. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnus
    CAP Head Mod

Good work; can't wait to see people studying these metagames. I still don't understand why we aren't using the rainbow trophy.................

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  21. Steamroll

Steamroll Tasty
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

because I can, NU is going to be the most fun!
  22. Vinc2612

Vinc2612 IT'S VINCE DUMBASS
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Time to learn five three new tiers.

Looks great =D
  23. Draycos7

Draycos7

GAH SEIZURE

This tournament looks great! Looking forward to joining.
  24. Twannes

Twannes

learn new tiers go :D
  25. animenagai

animenagai
    is a Past WCoP Winner

This is a great idea! We definitely want all the current tiers to be represented in tourneys :).

I suggest adding OU in here. The OU open will lure in a lot of players, and if they do well, that may lead them to learn the other tiers and compete in them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)