1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - September 2008

Discussion in 'Pokémetrics' started by DougJustDoug, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Zoro

Zoro

One Warstory contained a Curse/Roar/Ice Shard/ sth not EQ.
    Mostly guys that were testing things like that I guess.
  2. Green Mage

Green Mage

That mamo set is understandable, but i'm racking my brain trying to figure out how the .4% would use Dugtrio without EQ.

Steelix, Rotom, Ninetales and Aero were an easy 1-2-3-4 prediction on the UU ladder, but where the F did Claydol sneak in from? That was definitely a surprise.
  3. phalanx

phalanx

claydol was #1 last month, and #2(i think) the month before, so its been there a while.
  4. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

0.4% Specs Duggy?
    Well.. its possible...
  5. Age of Kings

Age of Kings

47 | Gastrodon | 1236

What happened here...? o_o; I thought it was at least in the 30's last month....
  6. Random Pizzaman

Random Pizzaman

Absolutely no surprise with heatran at 1
    And will this put Aero back in OU?
  7. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Aero is officially back in OU. lol, no more UU aeros I gues :D
  8. weezy

weezy

That's weird. Who uses a Mamoswine without Earthquake at all? I would understand if Mamoswine had an amaizing movepool but it really doesn't. It's just 4 or 5 good moves that work well with each other. Did those other .3 % use Giga Impact or something?
  9. newbioform

newbioform

Well it's only 0.3%, or 200 matches. It is possible that someone was using a rest/talk/curse/stone edge set, which is better than EQ as a last move.
  10. SHUCKLE MAN

SHUCKLE MAN

I have a feeling people have started to use Aerodactyl in OU, solely to get it out of UU.

In all fairness, it was extremely strong in UU, but factors like this will 'skew' the stats. Just like how people started using Garchomp to get it banned a couple of months ago.
  11. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Actually, Aerodactyl usage has been high since last July. It was only demoted from BL to UU last August if I recall correctly. So people are not using it solely to ban it from UU, as they were using it a lot already prior to it being demoted to UU.
  12. Sparko

Sparko

is there any way to find out the type of hidden power heatran uses most of the time? is it grass, electric or ice?
  13. TDS

TDS

Well we just need the Item use. Choice Scarf will almost always use Ice, Expert Belt, LO and choice specs mostly use grass. I've never seen someone use electric unless its a wifi team where they cant get ice or electric
  14. Sparko

Sparko

ah thanks for the clarification ^^ I've been debating which is the hidden power to look out for on that thing seeing that is on like 3/4 of the teams I face >.> (I hate how it counters me)
  15. I am Gengar

I am Gengar

I was surprised that only 18% of Heatrans were Timid and somewhat surprised that only 62% carried a scarf.
  16. Kira

Kira

Platinum updates were very recently implemented so Heatran had no reason to use Timid/Naive beforehand. I am actually surprised people use Timid when Naive does not detract from the power of Explosion, and allows you to use HP Ice on Shoddy without having to find an alternate IV spread that happens to be legal.
  17. kamikazeking05

kamikazeking05

well battles involve two people so in ther chance both people used a kyogre it could be used that high. lol im a few pages late...
  18. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

If you recognized that your statemnt is a few pages late and was recognized, why did you post?

I wish this told us more, though, as two major metagame shifts happened in the middle of it.
  19. I am Gengar

I am Gengar

Yes, but even assuming the amount of Heatran usage before and after Platinum was the same, then I would expect close to 33% of the heatrans to be Timid. Assuming Heatran was used 1.5x as much after platinum, I would expect close to 40% to be timid, and assuming Heatran was used 2x as much after platinum, I would expect almost 50% to be timid. As you can see, 18% isn't anywhere near these numbers, even assuming equal usage before and after Platinum changes were implemented.
  20. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Why would Heatran being used more affect the percentage of Timid natures among Heatran?
  21. Shinryu

Shinryu

My guess is, since "everyone" likes reading the standard Smogon sets, it does list Modest as the nature; in fact, +Spe natures aren't even really mentioned at all yet, lol. But yeah, +Spe natures are definitely gonna rise this month.
  22. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Well the more likely you are to face another heatran the more reason there is to maximise your speed.

So yeah, as Heatran useage increases I will expect the percentage that have +speed personalities will also increase.

Have a nice day.
  23. umbarsc

umbarsc

And with all the Timid ScarfTrans, I'm surprised that so few Gyarados are Jolly. Jolly also allows it to outspeed Shaymin-S after a Dragon Dance.
  24. sanjay120

sanjay120

Loling at TBoltless Raikou, are people trying to Crocune with HP Ice or something? Maybe Rain teams.

This is fun trying to figure out what people are using. Specs Dugtrio!
  25. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yeh, everyone expected Heatran to lead in usage. It's a fucking monster and it does everything, it's hard not to use Heatran these days. However, I've been using Heatran as a lead and I've seen plenty of other Heatran lead, so seeing it at #16 was a little surprising.

Again, no surprises with Gengar sticking up at pretty much the top because it's so good, Hypnosis may hit it a little bit though but Trick makes it even more annoying. Salamence and Scizor were obviously going to push up from gaining arguably the two best moves they could've hoped for and everyone wants to try them out. Kingdra is another that will definately rise in usage over time.

Shaymin-S will push up the ranks by the next set of statistics, even though the "boom" has worn off a bit, it'll stick through and be very high up soon.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)