Smogon University PO Statistics — April 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way. I've been there recently, and it was ridiculously easy to climb into the Top 200 on the PO server. The skill level is still as poor as always.
it just terribad in the beginning when PO started up, compared to that
im not going to complain

question: why is terrakion so low ://///////\\\\\\\:

Has anyone noticed the odd differences in usage between PO server and Smogon server with some Pokemon?

Latios 6 13.09% vs 17 8.20%
Rotom W 10 11.67% vs 26 6.38%

Though these stats do show some of the Smogon server changes having differences as theres generally a more diverse distribution of usage at the top compared to PO server where only the top 10 will ever see more than 10% usage.

Wasting my 1.5k post to question why in the hell Blissey is being used twice as much as Eviolite Chansey when Chansey is a heck of a lot better (being able to use special attacks isn't THAT big of a deal imo).

And thank you very much for the stats Rising_Duck :).
Leftovers recovery is pretty significant.

Beautifly is the lowest fully evolved Pokemon...how the fuck is it behind Luvdisc out of everything it could be behind?

| 35 | Swampert | 30888 | 5.1541
Swampert is OU, most likely because...........??????
Because change is scary, better stick with what we know. Bit lulzy that legendaries are behind old OU pokes that people want to keep shoehorning into their teams for the ultimate reason "because".

These numbers make me feel like I'm not really missing out on an evolved metagame, just the previous metagame plus a few pokemon.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
swampert is #35?
really?
i haven't seen any and i thought that the power creep and the buff to storm drain killed him for good...
how can swampert compete against sand rain and sun???i mean really?every weather sweeper eats him for breakfast!!!

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Leftovers recovery is pretty significant.
Not as significant as being able to take a physical hit, I don't think.
I'm pretty sure at this point that Chansey completely outclasses Blissey, like KotW said, being able to use special attacks isn't that huge a deal.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
| 43 | Landorus | 26297 | 4.3880 |

And to think we were about to vote on it... A 20% higher boost sure goes a long way.

| 16 | Gengar | 57689 | 9.6263 |

...Am I missing something here? What made people suddenly use Gengar?

| 57 | Zapdos | 18764 | 3.1310 |

I wonder when will we get LR Zapdos (and MD Raikou)... Thundurus may be a gigantic dick, but having its DW ability would surely make Zapdos get back to OU again.

APR 2011 DREAM WORLD USAGE
| 1 | Chandelure | 38354 | 19.1031 |
| 2 | Ferrothorn | 29585 | 14.7355 |

...I am amazed with Ferrothorn even more now.

BTW I feel bad for dissing PO's old usage stats now, where Politoed didn't even come close to Tyranitar...

My surprises:

Heatran at #9 is surprising to me because I just don't see it often. I'd love to see what sets they're running: I'm not sure ScarfTran or SpecsTran is good ATM because choiced fire attacks are horrible to be locked into. Since you said you had the data but just couldn't organize it...could you just tell us the most used moves/items for Heatran, if you don't mind?

Xatu all the way down at 106, below Espeon at 54. I don't think people understand how amazingly bulky this thing can be with a set of Reflect/Thunder Wave/Night Shade/Roost. Conkeldurr and the somewhat rare(31st) Scrafty are the only fighting types who can beat it. It can switch into Ferrothorn and immedietely neutralize it with it's resistance to Power Whip, lower end speed + Reflect taking Gyro Ball down a peg and reflecting all it's status moves. From that switch in, you are free to fling around Thunder Waves(If their team doesn't have Conkeldurr), Reflect(Xatu can actually beat some choiced Pursuits by staying in thanks to Reflect, forcing the Pursuiter to switch out or die!) to protect your team/prep for a physical sweeper coming in, Roost up damage taken or just Night Shade for decent damage. It's only disadvantage over Espeon is the SR Weakness...but it also can't be poisoned badly by Toxic Spikes.

Jellicent is unexpected @ 17, IMHO. I just plain don't see it around much and it faces some bad type match-ups right now I think. It is a good Pokemon, though, so I guess it's justified being up there in usage.

Starmie might be at 20, but I swear I see it on half the teams I play. I'm surprised it's not higher. It's also quite good I think, very hard to switch into and very fast, even if it is very frail. Maybe because I guess it doesn't deal high-end damage to Ferrothorn/SpDEF Tyranitar?

Rotom-W is at 10, but I honestly haven't had too much of a problem with it, except with one team I made where no Pokemon could take both water and eletric. It really misses that ghost typing IMHO, but I'll have to try it to see myself.

Finally, Bronzong @ 46 amuses me, I've seen it only once and it didn't do much. I wonder how many of those usages were at the start of April and not at the end...

My expected:

The entire top 5 is not entirely surprising, though I expected Garchomp to be more 6-7.

Volcarona is about right where I expected it to be: not high enough to be a "high end" threat, but common enough that you still must prep for it since it can rip you a new one.

Infernape's position, although surprising to some, doesn't surprise me much actually. I was considering running one myself. Being walled mostly by waters makes him excellent with U-Turn, IMHO, and he can still wallbreak. In addition, most people don't prepare for him anymore, and he can outrun a lot of stuff.

My Expectations:

Strong flying and fighting attacks, especially in combination, look to be "in" this round. Flying/Fighting hits 5 of the top 12 pokemon SE and all the others neutral. The only physical walls looking ready to stand up to it in the top 35 are Skarmory, physically defensive Forretress and some Swampert. I think a rise in Staraptor might result of this, as it can revenge well with a Scarf while not losing much power with Reckless or get more switch-ins with Intimidate and hold a Choice Band, while hitting a lot of top-tier threats hard. Terrakion also looks good this format.

If you can keep SR off the field, Abomasnow becomes a major threat. Tyranitar and Politoed can't come in to weather change, it smashes up Jellicent, revenges Garchomp and slightly weakened Gliscor and can switch into Rotom-W with a slightly bulkier spread. It can't get past Skarmory and some others though and only deals neutral to Ferrothorn.

Leech Seed Breloom and good old No Guard Machamp look as good as ever. I think I'll try experimenting with Substitute Heracross as well...

Not as significant as being able to take a physical hit, I don't think.
I'm pretty sure at this point that Chansey completely outclasses Blissey, like KotW said, being able to use special attacks isn't that huge a deal.
To each his own I guess. I prefer having passive recovery and being able to attack.

My first UU team just so you know:

| 311 | Vulpix | 245 | 0.0409 |
| 90 | Victini | 9659 | 1.6117 |
| 78 | Sawsbuck | 12370 | 2.0641 |
| 91 | Charizard | 9373 | 1.5640 |
| 64 | Donphan | 16148 | 2.6945 |
| 72 | Celebi | 1592 | 2.2820

Still experiencing the "new Pokemon bump" and likely will for months to come. People use the new stuff disproportionately to usefulness, just to try it out. Usage stat tiering assumes everyone is playing to maximize their chance to win, but this just isn't the case. This is especially apparent at this stage of the metagame.

My first UU team just so you know:

| 311 | Vulpix | 245 | 0.0409 |
| 90 | Victini | 9659 | 1.6117 |
| 78 | Sawsbuck | 12370 | 2.0641 |
| 91 | Charizard | 9373 | 1.5640 |
| 64 | Donphan | 16148 | 2.6945 |
| 72 | Celebi | 1592 | 2.2820
Great, Dominated by Sun UU here we come!

Still experiencing the "new Pokemon bump" and likely will for months to come. People use the new stuff disproportionately to usefulness, just to try it out. Usage stat tiering assumes everyone is playing to maximize their chance to win, but this just isn't the case. This is especially apparent at this stage of the metagame.
I'd argue that this is completely false at this point, especially when you see Latios, Heatran and Garchomp in the top ten. That list looks completely legit to me.

Staraptor definitely needs more usage. I've been using

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Reckless
Jolly

-Brave Bird
-Double Edge
-Close Combat
-U Turn

combined with spike support from Ferrothorn this thing is a beast, only Skarmory can repeatedly switch in. Physically defensive Jirachi can to but then it will be torn apart by all the dragons. Staraptor can generally kill 2 or 3 Pokemon before dying to recoil damage, even as a lead it will OHKO most things outright.

Virizion needs more usage, he is capable at both physical and special attacking

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
| 1 | Ferrothorn | 127997 | 21.3582 |
| 2 | Tyranitar | 124735 | 20.8139 |
This is not surprising at all for me.

| 13 | Politoed | 61688 | 10.2935 |
Now this is surprising,really expected this guy to be top 10.

| 30 | Chandelure | 31648 | 5.2809 |
| 34 | Terrakion | 31080 | 5.1862 | | 35 | Swampert | 30888 | 5.1541 |
| 41 | Deoxys-S | 27314 | 4.5577 |
| 51 | Venusaur | 21397 | 3.5704 |
This was unexpected,really unexpected mainly Venusaur thought he was higher for being one of the best sun abusers.​

Thanks so much R_D

Well I'm glad to see that the "weather makes the metagame less diverse" viewpoint has been completely squashed. Also, does anyone know what the cutoff we are going to use for UU is?

| 2 | Tyranitar | 124735 | 20.8139 |
| 13 | Politoed | 61688 | 10.2935 |

And people want to ban Drizzle, nice.
Tyranitar's usage doesn't really tell the whole story about Sand Stream's impact on the metagame in comparison to Drizzle. Tyranitar is a good standalone pokemon while theres little reason to use Politoed or Ninetales if you aren't going to use pokes that take advantage of their abilities. I don't really consider a team to be a "sand team" just because they use a Ttar when they don't have any other pokemon that benefit from sand. Admittedly Politoed and Ninetales CAN hit like a truck but I rarely see them unless they're supporting a team of weather abusers. I'm not saying sand teams aren't used a lot, because they are, just saying sand isn't the only reason to use Ttar. I still think I see more rain teams. If there were a pokemon with actual good stats with the Drizzle ability it's usage would be through the roof.

I don't think sand or rain should be banned, just wanted to make that point.

Disagreed. Only 3 of the top 10 are new Pokemon (I guess you could argue over Gliscor and Rotom-W though with the new ability/ typing for them, respectively, but even then it's not a majority). It seems to me most of the Pokemon in what looks to be OU (top 53) are older Pokemon, and from my experience most of the past-gen Pokemon have been using the same sets they used last gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)