Smogon University PO Statistics — April 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! Forretress is getting some love. People are realizing that Pain Split Forretress can easily go head to head with Ferrothorn, and spin away its hazards if they don't have a spinblocker. Gengar is getting quite a bit of usage to. Suicune has fallen off the face of the earth though :(

There are also some other disturbing stats on pokemon like Latias, Mew, Gorebyss, Smeargle, Raikou, Deoxys-S and so many other legit pokemon.

Thanks Rising_Dusk!

gliscor with a little sp.def investement(with only 20 sp.def evs and of course max hp,which all gliscors are running,gliscor survives swampert's ice beam 100% of the time)can survive one ice beam and 3hko swampert with acrobat(assuming swampert switches in on gliscor since you said switch-in) or fling him a toxic orb(or just use toxic) and stall him out with sub and protect...
and how is swampert dealing decently with sand?terakion,landorus,garchomp and excadrill all ohko after an sd...the only reason i can see to use swampert is being stuck in 4th gen standarts...the only useful set that swampert can run now is a choice band set but there are pokes like garchomp that have the same(if not better)bulk,better attack,better speed,better stabs so....
Yeah...Sand teams aren't always at +2, they generally will only try this when they have successfully weakened the opposing team (which means ANY checks would be useless.

Meanwhile, Swampert is as good of a check to Tyranitar as ever (especially since they all run Fire Blast and Ice Beam these days), setting up Stealth Rock and Roaring Ferrothorn when it tries to switch in. Surviving an Ice Beam isn't really that big of a deal IMO - Gliscor is relied on to check so many things it is rarely at full health, and even if it can survive, few people will be willing to let their Gliscor reach such low health just to defeat average offensive presence that Swampert is.

Garchomp needs an SD to defeat Swampert, otherwise the mudfish makes a decent switch into any other form. Leftovers SubChomp can't OHKO with Earthquake while Swampert will win by breaking the Sub and then KOing with Ice Beam. ScarfChomp gets walled and Pert can Roar the switchin to rack up SR damage.

SD Terrakion breaks Swampert (it also breaks Gliscor, btw), but Swampert comfortably deals with RP Terrakion, KOing it with Earthquake following a round of LO recoil and Stealth Rock. Balloon Terrakion also fails to 2HKO with consecutive 2 consecutive CCs while the SpD drop means that STAB Hydro Pump can OHKO even in Sand after LO and rocks.

Swampert still makes a great switch-in to Heatran (who is surprisingly high), SpD Jirachi, is a viable Water-type for use on Sun teams thanks to secondary STAB (and they will appreciate a Tar switch-in), and can deal with lesser threats such as Hippowdon, Tentacruel, and Metagross.

And despite tank Pert's usefulness having decreased, CBPert is still quite effective. Other users of the item have their advantages, but do not lure Ferrothorn as effectively as Swampert does. Other users of CB also tend to invest into attack and speed, as your aforementioned Garchomp, but Swampert will invest in bulk more often than not which distinguishes it. Finally, Hammer Arm means that Skarmory will eventually lose to it as well, which only a few other CBers can really claim.

Yeah Quagsire and Gastrodon have recovery and their other advantages, but Quagsire is pretty much useless until you face a threat at +2, otherwise it is taking unboosted hits worse than Swampert is. Same for Gastrodon - it had Recover last gen too, so all it really does is take Water attacks now (which is admittedly useful against rain).

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
for your point on gengar

people ALWAYS have used it, its still the badass from gen 1 and will be ou forever because hes classic

130 special attack 110 speed still puts him high and able to dent with focus blast and shadow ball for unresistant coverage is beast
Yeah, Gengar is a bro, but I find it weird because I haven't seen many of them, if at all.

The statistics need to undergo further restrictions. Counting everybody with 1000+ ratings is not terribly accurate because even at 1050 there are noobs using Sky Attack Aerodactyl.
keep in mind this only a month's worth of data as well has the meta still being in sorta the early days of gen 5

things will likely level out given more time.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
The rated BW Ubers stats are really interesting. I am honestly not surprised that Charizard is number 31, but I am surprised that Gastrodon, the pitch-perfect Kyogre counter not named Shedinja, is number 220. By the way, WHAT ON EARTH IS OCTILLERY DOING AT #243!!?!?! That is tied with freaking Electabuzz! Also, Bibarel was seen in a grand total of two Ubers battles. I guess I really am the only one who uses Moody in Ubers after all.

@the unowns at the bottom of the stats
Anyone else notice that they spell out penis?
The hilarious part of this is that I looked for a word and came up with "SNIPE" instead of "PENIS"

Yay! Forretress is getting some love. People are realizing that Pain Split Forretress can easily go head to head with Ferrothorn, and spin away its hazards if they don't have a spinblocker.
I thought the actual advantage of using Forretress would be for Volt Switch so you can switch to a counter of whoever comes in to kill Forretress... is there a reason people aren't using Volt Switch on it??

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looking at the current list, while I'm sure we need a more sensitive method of determining the UU cut off, by my own impressions as an OU player, I think it should fall just before or after Sigilyph or Slowbro (that thing is good)... and before Electivire...

Honestly, after Slowbro, the order of stronger and weaker Pokemon becomes really obscure. People have noted how far Wobb and mew are down the list.

The fact that the Pokemon expected to be the "top dogs" of BW's OU (Wobb, Mew, Deoxys-D, Flygon, Kyuurem, Victini, Suicune, Shaymin, Snorlax) are often nowhere near a forcasted OU cutoff, brings me to believe that the order of the lower ranks of Pokemon is not a good measure for how strong they are.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Flygon was never expected to be OU being entirely outclassed by Garchomp bar U-Turn. Likewise, Snorlax's usage was expected to fall from 4th gens OU.

As for the others they are all top UU threats and dont mean anything in OU relevance.

APR 2011 UNRATED BW LC USAGE
Total Battles: 376
+ ---- + --------------- + ----- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon | Usage | Percent |
+ ---- + --------------- + ----- + ------- +
| 1 | Missingno | 367 | 48.8032 |

Hahahahahaha. Also, I think the cut should be right at 62, allowing 62, disallowing 63! I also enjoy seeing Espy at 54! I love Espeon!

Will the cut off be around 50 (UUis already released so I could just go check)?
I think that because there are many more fully evolved pokemon this generation than last, the cut off should be more like 60 (E-vire at 63 so he's still pwned).

I think 50 is too low this gen and if we leave it there, then the BL tier will fill up too much as we ban all the should-be-ou-but-isn't stuff.

Haxorus is an odd surprise to me as is dragonite being used more than salamence.

Lots of surprises in OU in general

Will the cut off be around 50 (UUis already released so I could just go check)?
I think that because there are many more fully evolved pokemon this generation than last, the cut off should be more like 60 (E-vire at 63 so he's still pwned).

I think 50 is too low this gen and if we leave it there, then the BL tier will fill up too much as we ban all the should-be-ou-but-isn't stuff.
I think OU should be larger also for that exact reason, but still kicking E-vire out since everyone here knows he has biased usage stats and that he's simply not good (Or at least, not good compared to other Pokemon). I also think that the far-down good ones like Deoxys-D should be up to OU, if not BL.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
keep in mind that if we do cut E-Vire oput because of bias then we ourselves are showing bias in arbitarily picking that number.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
I agree with TC for the most part. However, we do need to find a number. I'll go see if the PR thread says anything.

Nope, nothing.

I'm aggreing with what Chou said earlier,, the cutoff should be around Sigilyph or Slowbro, but definitely keep E-vire out of OU.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
keep in mind that if we do cut E-Vire oput because of bias then we ourselves are showing bias in arbitarily picking that number.
Electivire isn't being cut out because of bias, it's cut out because it's not being used enough. According to the tiering formula we've been using for all of the other generations, Tornadus is the last OU pokemon, at #53. There's no bias in that.

This is pretty much what I expected in terms of usage. What surprises me is what people are using though - Swampert? Really? Honestly, I've found this thing to be almost ridiculously easy to deal with. I also expected Chansey to be higher up; don't get me wrong, I actually use Blissey over Chansey (leftovers IS a big deal) but it does have it's own unique traits (markedly better physical defense) that seperate it from Bliss. Suicune also really suprised me - with Scald added to it's arsenal, I've found that setting up with Calm Mind is easier than ever.
I guess things will all even out though eventually. In the mean time, UU is going to be hilarious :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)