Smogon Wi-Fi Tournament #2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
I think I'll join this one, but item clause really is meh. IMO, it promotes Tyranitar/Hippowdon/Abamosnow(lol) use. Bold for great justice.

With those pokes in play, your opponent automatically loses 1/16 HP every turn, unless they happen to be immune. Only one poke can carry Lefties and only one ontop of that can carry Black Sludge (should you even be using a Poison type...aka Gengar). While it (the weather) does work both ways, chances are that the person with the Weather-changer probably thought about this before hand (if not, lol) and built a team largely immune to its effects.

So, thus, in the end, you are either forced to die a slow death in the Sandstorm/Hail or build your team around it...despite the fact that you have no Sandstreamer/Hailer. This is just my take on it -- lol at me or my opinion if you don't agree.

So, thus, in the end, you are either forced to die a slow death in the Sandstorm/Hail or build your team around it...despite the fact that you have no Sandstreamer/Hailer. This is just my take on it -- lol at me or my opinion if you don't agree.
I lol. kinda.

It's true that you need to have something that can deal with weather changers, but you don't really need a WHOLE team based on countering Tyranitar........ and Abomasnow.

Just to be clear about hacking: Would a Kingdra with legit stats but Illegally caught (Say, on route 2) be allowed?

And do all the teams have to be traded to the Council?

Just trying to avoid confusion here ;)

As far as I understand, that is not a big deal. Be prepared, though, for complaints from your competitors if you win. If you receive two complaints -- sometimes only one, depending on the size of the complaint -- the Check Team will need to see your Pokemon. As long as its ability, nature, statistics, and moves all fall within normal parameters, you will be okay.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just to be clear about hacking: Would a Kingdra with legit stats but Illegally caught (Say, on route 2) be allowed?

Just trying to avoid confusion here ;)
I think this question was asked 3 or 4 times and Sonuis said that yes it would be considered hacked and you would be disqualified. Catch the ****ing Pokemon yourself people... Some of us spent 75+ hours on our teams. I don't see why you'd have to hack to find a Kingdra or what not. If it's version exclusive, trade for it and breed it. If you're in this tournament, you should have WiFi so I don't see what the problem is.

I work on Saturdays, so thanks for putting this one on Sunday when more people hopefully have the day off. I'll be joining for sure.

I'm in, I can't wait!

As an aside: Are we allowed to use different teams for different matches?

Ie. In my first round, I use a team of favourites... If I somehow win the first round, I can move on and use, say, a Rain Dance team?

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As an aside: Are we allowed to use different teams for different matches?

Ie. In my first round, I use a team of favourites... If I somehow win the first round, I can move on and use, say, a Rain Dance team?
Yes. I thought I had mentioned it in the topic. Oh well. Topic edited for this rule.

Firestorm said:
Lucky said:

Just trying to avoid confusion here
I think this question was asked 3 or 4 times and Sonuis said that yes it would be considered hacked and you would be disqualified. Catch the ****ing Pokemon yourself people... Some of us spent 75+ hours on our teams. I don't see why you'd have to hack to find a Kingdra or what not. If it's version exclusive, trade for it and breed it. If you're in this tournament, you should have WiFi so I don't see what the problem is.
Thank you Firestorm.

aamto

I lol. kinda.

It's true that you need to have something that can deal with weather changers, but you don't really need a WHOLE team based on countering Tyranitar........ and Abomasnow.
I never said anything about countering those pokes. I said about countering the weather. There's a difference. Because even if you knock out the weather changer, the weather still stays. You could knock out Ttar in the opening turn of the match. His Sandstorm isn't going anywhere, though. And that's my problem.

You don't need a whole team around it. But you just have to remember that your Life Orb Weavile or Azelf is gonna have that much less of a life span. And your durable characters, like Bulky Gyara, are gonna have that much of a tougher time.

That's why I genreally prepare for Sandstream, not neccessairly devoting a whole team being rock/ground/steel, but at least having half my team being immune + 1 leftovers.

But wow, is sandstream the most borked trait on the planet or what.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
A small suggestion guys, make it the 20th instead of the 22nd. HARRY POTTER IS OUT ON THE 21ST! So yeah...

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm half with Shiv on this one. The tournament will interrupt my Harry Potter reading, which I intend to finish that day, but on the other hand I'm taking off of work because of Harry Potter, so that means I'm actually guaranteed to be available for the tourney unlike last time where it was a toss up.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sorry...it was hard enough finding a fitting timeslot already, we're not going to disrupt that again.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't think a few hours are going to disrupt anyone's reading of Harry Potter. Sunday is a great day to hold this tourney anyway.

aamto

I take it that the Item Clause is just non-negotiable thing then, eh?

And as for Harry Potter, the true (lol) fans will have it read by the 22nd. I sure as hell will. Think about this for motivation: remember a certain video that was released that spoiled a certain 6th book during a midnight launch? Well, I think that's gonna be commonplace this year. I for one am gonna lock myself in my house for a day. Not even TV.

Sonuis

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A small suggestion guys, make it the 20th instead of the 22nd. HARRY POTTER IS OUT ON THE 21ST! So yeah...
20th will have people lined up for Harry Potter. Weekdays are just silly to hold one day tournaments. I can't make it the 21st anyway (Not for Harry Potter. Bro's birthday. But hey, that's a much better excuse). You can use a bookmark, right? Sunday will work just fine.

Sonuis

An issue has come up with the registration dates. Due to the fact that Harry Potter is released on the registration date, and the day before it is Harry Potter freaks line-up day, I'm going to go into talks about making both of those days registration days.

Note: We are keeping the cap of 64 participants like the last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)